Second Life - online virtual world

Previous topic - Next topic

OBEvideoguy

Hey everyone,

Anyone here signed up to www.SecondLife.com ?

I'm finding it perfect for OBE simulation. You can fly and imagine yourself out-of-body.

If you are a member, I would love to meet up with you and test out a few things.

Don
8-)

semisentient

That's interesting!

I don't use Second Life, but I have thought there were many similarities between Masamune Shirow's fictional "Ghost in the Shell" universe and astral projection, OBE, and spirituality. A lot of his stories take place within cyberspace, a consciousness can move to one place or another trough it into another body, or integrate with and access other peripherals.

However this is all digital, which seems to place it at odds with the metaphysical. 

In reality, people project themselves through keyboards into virtual environments such as Second Life, rat brains may fly jet simulations, monkeys can control cybernetic arms by thought via a computerized network (sometimes the arm may even be hundreds of miles away), amputees now have cybernetic prosthesis controlled by thought via computer chip interfaces with nerves in their chest (they can also receive feedback from the prosthesis this way), a paralyzed man may operate a computer and a wheelchair using his mind...

We have been making great technological leaps with brain machine interfaces and other technologies that integrate biological and electronic components. Eventually something resembling telepathic communication may be established... some people believe a condition described as "the Singularity" may eventually occur.

So... what does this all mean? For me I see many similarities to the metaphysical realm but one very large difference that I find difficult to sum up...

Maybe someone who frequently practices leaving their body the natural can extrapolate?

Sorry I didn't mean to get so far off topic! But I was thinking about these virtual environments yesterday and comparing them to astral projection and OBE...

I would probably use Second Life if I they didn't want to make money from me... sort of creeps me out that materialism has gone entirely virtual... yet the money spent is still so real... :p

No matter what you do, it doesn't matter, if you don't mean it.

semisentient

Wait! I wanted to ask...

What did you have in mind?

I guess it isn't a REQUIREMENT to spend money in Second Life. :p
No matter what you do, it doesn't matter, if you don't mean it.

OBEvideoguy

I truly believe that with the experienced insight of an expert projector and further analysis of Second Life, a simulation session can be set up to aid people in trying to get out of body. If the awareness was so completely engaged in the cyber-world, a break from physical matter identification can ocurr. This would give a newcomer a real hit of what it is like to be out of body, aiding greatly in thier real life practice.

Please continue sharing your thoughts. I am experimenting with spending several hours a day involved online. As a matter of fact, last night I had a dream that I was in the cyber-world of SL and there was a large poster on a wall offering the chance to water-ski with Bruce Willis for $3,500.

And yes, there is a real financial angle to setting yourself up in Second Life. It is free to join, but if you want a customized avatar and some land to build your own house on, etc. it costs. I think the whole thing is rather cool and I've set myself up quite nicely in this virtual world.

If anyone reading this gets hooked up, check me out:

OBE Destiny

...is my SL name.

Don
8-)

David Warner

Second life is cool and very addictive...

Don't want to be the dour one of the group, but comparing OBEing to second life simulation there isn't any. It's a great way to communicate, setup land, house, new method of group meetings. A lot of good can come from it. But the whole premise of it is getting on with the true source of projecting!

tvos
InvisibleLight - Book Release 12.12.2012
www.invisiblelight.us

OBEvideoguy

Quote from: the voice of silence on January 03, 2008, 18:30:55
Don't want to be the dour one of the group, but comparing OBEing to second life simulation there isn't any.

tvos

tvos,

I am currently experimenting with Second Life in regards to enhancing the ability to have OBEs and LDs. My initial observation is that it can be useful; I am working on documentation (including a video demonstration) that will support my ideas. I have connected up with a human in SL who is building a "space" specifically designed for OBE and LD enthusiasts. We have had many long conversations on the benefits of SL for OBE exploration; I am convinced there are many.

I just want to say that last night I had 3 dreams (not lucid... yet...) that took place in the Second Life universe. Just an ongoing investigation observation.

Once my treatise is complete, I will be making it public.

tvos, my question for you is, why are you adamant that SL has nothing to do with OBEing? Please state your reasons. This will help in creating my thesis.

Don
8-)

David Warner

Don,

I like the idea about group meeting in second life and communication and I highly recommend people exploring SL. However, I think you will find drawbacks of restrictions like hardware and software capability, bugs, meeting times, and connection speed. I know when I messed with SL it was real buggy, slow, and the specs were high end requirements. Not that I don't have the latest technology but others might not.

So you have to ask the question "what is the real objective - video game play, or learn how to project?.

tvos
InvisibleLight - Book Release 12.12.2012
www.invisiblelight.us

OBEvideoguy

Hey tvos,

Yes, I have a smokin' fast computer system that displays on a 60" widescreen Sony. I tried Second Life on my laptop, which is no wimp, and it played like a slug. I agree that not everyone will be able to enjoy SL technology. However, those that do want to join in are in for a treat. Each day I am finding out new angles on how to use the SL universe to create thought provoking conceptual schemas that relate both to OBEs and lucid dreams.

On the topic of personal growth, just tonight I was privy to a group discussion with a spiritual guru at the helm. It was most enlightening, and to be sitting around in a circle, on meditation cushions, with several other consciousness explorers, hearing words on wisdom come out of my headset/mic and the gentleman's avatar was awesome.

Once my treatise on SL and OBEs is ready, I will present it here.

Be well,

Don
8-)

Old Dood

Don,
I heard of this place before.
Very creative.  I can see people maxing out their credit cards here.
An Island for example is over $1600.00 with a $300.00/month maintenence fee.

Are you one of the owners of the site? Or are you just a member here?
Do you have a business in this world? Making money I mean?  Real money not L$.
Time will Tell...
MY SPECIAL PURPOSE

OBEvideoguy

Hey Old Dood,

I am only a user/visitor in Second Life. I have no business and do not sell anything in Second Life.

$L is the short term for Linden Dollars, the in-world currency. As a very rough estimate $L 10,000 costs about $40 US. You can easily buy a nice plot of land (you own) and build a house on it and you will not be required to pay any monthly fee, as long as you are a premium member (which costs around $7 US a month). We're talking a relatively small acquisition, not an island.

Remember, joining SL is free. You can visit some remarkable places and interact with a variety of other people without having to spend any US money.

OBE Destiny

Quote from: Old Dood on January 06, 2008, 09:05:19
Don,
I heard of this place before.
Very creative.  I can see people maxing out their credit cards here.
An Island for example is over $1600.00 with a $300.00/month maintenence fee.

Are you one of the owners of the site? Or are you just a member here?
Do you have a business in this world? Making money I mean?  Real money not L$.

Stookie

I understand that playing video games for long periods can make an impression on your subconscious to the point that you will dream about it all night. Any serious gamer has experienced it.

But it only seems to do it when it's a new game. After becoming familiar with it, the "game dreams" slow down and eventually stop... until you get a new game.

It seems to me there would be 2 things to keep in mind for these types of experiments:

1 - You have to keep it surprisingly new for multiple attempts, because lucidity won't likely happen your first few tries, and it won't have the impression on your subconscious as in the first several attempts.

2 - You need some sort of trigger in the game that would also show up it the dream to make you realize that you're dreaming. Just imitating the game in a dream probably won't be enough to make you lucid.

I like the idea of incorporating technology into OBE's, but it seems like another aide, like binaural beats. It will work for some, but not the quick fix most want.

OBEvideoguy

Hey Stookie,

I am hearing the same kind of thing from many people on various forums when addressing the use of Second Life for OBE or lucid dreaming success.

I am working on a treatise that will go into great detail. I am currently in close contact with a member of SL who is building an entire Land devoted to using the elements of SL to help generate OBEs and LDs. It is a nonprofit venture.

I have many concepts that I am currently investigating; a member of SL is building a Reality Check programming script for the game to help novice lucid dreamers.

I once had the pleasure of working under a Spiritual Master for 3 years. Personal health issues ended my apprenticeship. Anyway, regardless of how much I would focus on him and his students and his teachings, I would have very powerful dreams, some lucid, that would involve him as the central character. I am currently investigating why this happened, as the subconscious mind was very used to and familiar with this man.

I am working on something very exciting that involves seeing a settings or environment in SL as a virtual space that one can focus on and project to. I am following the work of William Buhlman, in particular his CD collection. In one visualization he encourages the listener to focus totally on a place they have been that they are familiar with. The goal is to project directly to that space. My feeling is, that if someone who is experienced with OBEs who teaches others how to project, is onto something. And, by using the thought energy patterns of SL, one can project into the virtual world. I believe there is so much potential here.

That's just a glimpse into what I am working on...

Don
8-)

Mustardseed

How about building a copy of AP Island in SL. It seems to be an obvious and very interesting project. I frequent SL and fing extremely limited referances to AP

Regards Mustardseed
Words.....there was a time when I believed in words!

OBEvideoguy

I am Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

http://www.astralsource.com/SL.html

OBE Destiny

Nostic

SL looks like a very interesting idea, but it seems like a very roundabout way to achieve an OBE.
I mean, if you get really entrenched in it, I could imagine an increase in lucid dreaming... but OBE? Maybe short-term

OBEvideoguy

I am currently compiling all the subtle aspects of Second Life that apply to OBEs. In my opinion, any little bit helps. There are aspects of the game that are useful, but the main focus will be for lucid dream induction, as you have said. Mainly, it will be a fun, and free, way for people to communicate using headset/mic (not supplied) as a group with a common purpose. The more one focused their Intention on having OBEs and Ludid Dreams, the more saturated the subconscious mind becomes.

OBE Destiny - I am Borg
www.astralsource.com/SL.html