Sitting vs lying

Previous topic - Next topic

Kree

I'm considering learning to sleep while sitting. Sitting seems to be the best position for meditation, but OBEs need complete relaxation, which is harder to achieve when sitting.  If I get used to sleeping sitting, maybe I'll have the perfect OBE position.

Does anyone do this or have any thoughts?

skeptic

Absolutely valid point! If it rings the bell go for it and see what happens. Because of my work , I would spend a lot of time sleeping on planes , trains , buses so I am used to be comfortable and do my meditation/AP practice on a go , it is actually more productive for it is away from your usual physical environment. In the end it is not physiology that decides how the energy flows , it is your intent - so take any position you like , set an intent and the rest will be taken care of !!!!   

EscapeVelocity

Maybe consider a recliner that offers variable inclinations. I have read of others successes with this and considered it myself. One author that I am not a fan of did report that the Egyptians were keen on a 37 degree back angle and that has been of interest to me, but I have not explored it.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
                                                          -O. Wilde

PerspectiveShift

Quote from: EscapeVelocity on October 11, 2021, 01:55:10
Maybe consider a recliner that offers variable inclinations. I have read of others successes with this and considered it myself. One author that I am not a fan of did report that the Egyptians were keen on a 37 degree back angle and that has been of interest to me, but I have not explored it.

I had heard of something like this in an AP book too... wasn't really a fan of the author either.

Can you AP from a sitting position? When I meditate in a sitting position, many times I will do the noticing exercise instead of focussing purely on darkness. I hit some hypnogogic states and when I go deeper I feel the falling sensation which signals my head falling/bobbing down. Catching my head automatically launches my consciousness to PR. Sometimes I'll get to this state 5 times in a session.

I sleep easy so I feel that a sitting position I can get really deep but get kicked out of it each time my head bobs.

The bobbing is my actual head falling as I catch it half way it's way down. (I thought at first that it might be just a sensation). But I think this point signals where my consciousness "taps out" so to speak. I'm not sure if I'm at the point yet of being able to maintain my awareness beyond a certain point. And I think that is the cut off point possibly.

Anyone else experience this or have any tips?
Be the change you want to see in the world.

EscapeVelocity

A few points:

A couple members here report of phasing from positions other than lying on a bed. Szaxx has reported phasing from his car after having lunch during a workday (also Szaxx is incredibly talented at this stuff, lol). And on a nearly daily basis Lumaza does his "phase/soak" from his bathtub with his feet hanging off the edge (another highly talented person). So I think this points to two things- one is certainly the confidence and understanding that a lot of experiences brings to one's efforts. The better you get, you realize there are fewer restrictions to your practice. Another is finding a comfortable position, wherever and however you may find it, which likely includes an expectation of silence and freedom from interruption. Your head falling over to one side is a physical issue that would need to be minimized; maybe an airline neck pillow?

Many successful projectors have mentioned the idea that your bed should be for sleeping and so OBE attempts should be tried elsewhere. This theory is certainly backed up by the fact that you have slept in your bed likely thousands of times so a certain subconscious expectation for sleep is pre-set. The recliner satisfies this problem by being comfortable, adjustable and can over time, set up a new pre-set expectation for OBEs. This makes sense to me though I have not explored it since I have no recliner, lol until recently. Maybe instead of a Laz-E-Boy, I should ask for a OB-E-Boy?

A third point is that given enough experiences you eventually realize that your physical environment does not have to be perfect- perfectly comfortable, perfectly quiet or perfectly without distraction. You can itch and scratch, you can clear your throat, you can be distracted by a car horn, etc. It's all very temporary. I learned this through my own experiences going to The Monroe Institute for 4 different courses, each a week long. Now admittedly, this is full immersion in OBE/Phasing practice with approx 7 sessions a day for five days, all with the assistance of Hemi-Sync audio. It is eventually explained and suggested that participants can shift their body position, grab a blanket, turn on the light and make notes or even run to the bathroom and come back to the CHEC unit (bed) and work back into the OBE/Phasing with little to no interruption in the experience. And like most participants, I resisted that notion as long as I could always wanting to preserve the quality of the experience as best I could. Finally circumstance caught up with me- once I had no choice but to head to the bathroom mid-session; another time the batteries gave out in my headphones and I had to grab another set. Each time I was surprised at how easy it was to get "back into" the experience.    

So the short answer may be that it is not as big a problem as we may initially think.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
                                                          -O. Wilde

Nameless

Hi there, I will certainly back EV's response on this. It really doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing. Many times I project while actually doing a repetitive task that does not require much brain power. For example chores like washing dishes, cutting the lawn.

Those relaxed positions (in my experience) are more for meditative practice. Projections mostly only require an ability to disconnect most of your brain from your physical awareness. Think in terms of daydreaming when you are supposed to be doing something else that absolutely bores the devil out of you.
Remember, You came here to this physical earth to experience it in its physical form. NPR will always be there.

PerspectiveShift

Very interesting! Thanks for the advice Nameless and EV!

So I guess practicing staying in those "daydream" and hypnagogic states will progress the LD/AP practice.

I've altered my meditation position for the noticing exercise. I'll try it like that and see how it goes.

Funny enough, my wife had her first Lucid Dream yesterday night that only lasted for a few seconds before it faded into darkness. She was so excited that her excitement brought her out of it. My first LD was similar only lasting for about a minute before the scene kept getting darker and darker. Really cool stuff! Reading about it doesn't do justice even though it's fascinating to read about too! Lol

I find it very interesting too the faint dreams that you can't yet pop into yet, but almost. I've had a couple of those after the LD experience. It's exciting to learn!!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Nameless

Sooo true, very exciting stuff. There's nothing like that sudden realization you are dreaming and you are aware that you are dreaming. Step 1 complete.

Step 2: Don't bug out or you will find yourself really bugging out (of the experience).

Step 3: Wow, you find you didn't bug out and you are still in the experience. Now remain calm. Don't even think about changing a thing, just ride events that are happening. Notice, that's all.

Step 4: Repeat repeat repeat.

For some of us LD is a first choice for projecting. I am one of those. All dreams ARE a projection. That's everything from just dreams to semi lucid to full blown lucid even including daydreams and nightmares. That is simply your right brain escaping the drudgery of left brains control.

And that is why I say practice anytime even while doing simple mundane tasks as it trains your brain to accept those full blown wonderful experiences when they happen. With training and calm acceptance of what left brain is doing left brain grows more confident. When that happens, look out buddy - your in for a roller coaster ride with more than most can imagine coming straight down the pike.

Hugs
Remember, You came here to this physical earth to experience it in its physical form. NPR will always be there.