Tongue relaxation...

Previous topic - Next topic

MadLordNad

I've been having relaxation issues with my tongue.   :oops:   :(  This could make for a good joke if it were funny.

Lately, it seems if I get "too" relaxed it feels like I'm going to swallow my tongue or saliva gathered in my throat makes me swallow and I lose my relaxed stated and have to start over.

Does anyone recommend a way to help keep a stray tongue in check or what to do when you have to swallow?   :lol:
Beer is proof God loves us.  -- Ben Franklin

Live Free or Die!

Taking away the moments that make up a dull day...

astralspinner

If you feel any need to swallow, do so. If you're aware enough of your body to have to do it, you're not tranced enough for it to be a problem.

If you're worried about swallowing your tongue, tilt your head forward a little.

Nay

Yeah astralspinner sounds right.  I would agree and say it sounds like you got your head tilted back too far, thus causing your tongue to fall back when you get relaxed.  

Nay.

MadLordNad

Thanks!

I wasn't worried just annoyed and irritated.

Live Free or Die!

skydust

i have the same problem. i was thinking maybe i should just leave it cause it always distracts me, but then i would probably end up drooling all over myself uuugh, lool.

MadLordNad

Live Free or Die!

Banjoshee

Good link, Major. I like jilola's info about pressing tongue to roof of mouth and adding a small bit of suction as well as Jame's book suggestion for Paul Wilson's calm series.

My question MadLord is how do you get your jaw that relaxed!!!???? I'd love to know because I have the opposite problem. I always have tongue to roof of mouth, but I further that with clenched jaw.

I do all kind's of jaw exercises and stretches. Alexander technique was mentioned in that thread as well. I've worked with Feldenkrais method.

All very interesting indeed.

It's an energetic action, too, if you work with TCM, tai chi, chi kung, etc, to keep the tongue touched to the roof of the mouth. Completes the energy circuit.