Vibrations? A theory...

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanth

I have an idea that I want to toss out into the mix regarding what the Vibrational State is. This idea explains what it is and why people eventually stop experiencing it as they progress through their Projection Careers. It's simple really... as with other "sensations" associated with astral projection and obe's, the Vibrations are a manifestation of your expectations.

We've all "read about" the vibrations... actually, it's probably one of the very first things that a person learns about regarding astral projection! We're told that to project, you need to initiate the "Vibrational State" and then they go on to tell you *EXACTLY* what it's supposed to feel like. *THIS* is the problem.

Then we look at where it started... Robert Monroe might not have been the first one to experience this state, but he was the one to popularize it throughout our culture. He was the initial spark for this concept growing in the minds of the Astral Projection community. He was the first to make the connection that if you wanted to project (or in his words, go Out of the Body), you *HAD* to experience the Vibrations.

Let's look at Mr Monroe for a second... he was an Electrical Engineer, and what do the vibrations mostly feel like? He described them in the a way that he could understand... like a pulse of electricity flowing neatly through the body. I surmise that the possibility exists that these vibrations manifested within him *ONLY* in a manner which he could comprehend... "ELECTRICITY".  This initial "connection" is now the most prevalent

Most people I speak with who are more experienced with Astral Projection tell me that they don't experience Vibrations all that much anymore. Some people believe this is because they've become "accustomed" or "familiar" with them... so the sensation doesn't have all that much impact upon them anymore.  But if I apply the idea that the vibrations are an expectation based experience, then I'd conclude that it's because they've grown out of the requirement for them.  They know now that they don't need to feel the vibrations in order to project, so they don't experience them anymore.

I do a type of projection called "Phasing"... whereby I was taught that it by passes the portion of a classic OBE/AP where the vibrations generally are believed to occur, so with that in mind, I don't experience them anymore.  I'll re-iterate that point: I don't experience them anymore, because I don't expect to experience them.

Any thoughts?

Stookie

I understand the connection your making, but I'm not sure...

The first time I felt vibrations was before I got into meditation or knew anything about it. I was lying in bed listening to music with headphones on and tuning out, and then started feeling floaty and swaying, and then the vibes hit hard and scared me to death. I had never heard about them or OBE's at this point. I definitely wasn't trying to OBE and was not expecting them. I know I can rule out expectations in this case.

If you've never naturally had vibrations, I don't think your imagination could hallucinate them based on expectations, because when you have vibes, there is no denying there is something to them. They are HARDCORE. And then there are the people who have never had vibes and expect them, and then mistakenly relate the tingly sensations during trance with them. That's pretty common.

Vibrations seem to be associated with the transition from physical to RTZ, which is where most people end up when they first start. I don't know why... maybe you have to prime yourself before moving further inward towards the astral-proper.

But as people gain experience, they tend to skip the RTZ all together and end up in an astral environment, even if it resembles the RTZ. Here, vibrations lessen immensely or seem to be non-existent.

These seem like normal patterns that I've noticed from myself and different projectors at the astral pulse over the years. While I haven't had vibes in years, it's hard for me to believe that they are just popularized expectations.

Quote...as they progress through their Projection Careers.
Career? I got suckered, I have to do it on my free time!

Xanth

I was trying to do some research earlier if anyone in the past (before Monroe) experienced them... the only mention of some kind of vibration-y thing was Sylvan Muldoon mentioning something about it in his 1929 book.  But I don't know the extent of it.
It would also explain why everyone seems to experience them in a slightly different manner.  Anyway, as I said, just a theory I'm tossing out there.
If anyone has any information on some historical "vibration" cases... that'd be great to post here!  

Ah, here's a good recounting of Muldoon's experiences: http://www.psychwww.com/asc/obe/whois_mu.html

Second Paragraph, first few sentences:
QuoteMuldoon's first conscious projection occurred when he was 12 years old. He awoke in the middle of the night to find himself conscious, but not knowing where he was, and apparently unable to move, a condition he later called astral catalepsy. Gradually the sensation of floating took over, and then a rapid up-and-down vibration and a tremendous pressure in the back of his head.

That was written 29 years prior to Monroes first experiences, so who knows really.  :)

Food for thought, none-the-less... as I'm finding a lot of our non-physical lives being "expectation-related".  And I'm starting to see this physical reality as being really nothing more than yet another "non-physical environment'.  It makes sense to me that the same rules apply "here" as they do "there".

I guess the real question is, did Monroe term his experience a "vibration" before or after he read Muldoon's book, because then the initial link could be from Muldoon, with Monroe simply bringing it into the public consciousness in a more popular manner.  Hmmm

QuoteCareer? I got suckered, I have to do it on my free time!
hehe ;)

CFTraveler

The first time I experienced vibrations I thought I was being kidnapped by aliens, so I don't agree on the idea of it being an expectation.

Also, ancient Hindu Mythology describes creation cosmology in terms of vibration, and Kundalini arousal symptoms also include vibration (or is described in terms of vibrations), so it's not unreasonable to suppose that it could have been influenced by actual symptoms felt by meditators, since they did it first.   :-)

The thing is, that the western mind tends to separate things and categorize them separately- so we study the OBE and hone in on this or that symptom, and don't look at them in a 'big picture' kind of way.
However, the ancient Hindi saw the whole thing as related, so a meditator feeling vibrations could have been interpreted as becoming one with the eternal AUM and would have expressed it that way, because an OBE would not be a thing in itself, but one of the things achieved by the search for enlightenment and oneness, in which meditation and asceticism would have been a large part of.
It's just a matter of having a general worldview that is very different from ours.
--

Volgerle

I like Nick Newport's ("The Lucidology Man"  :wink:) take on this. It also explains why experienced projectors have them less or even stop having them.

http://www.lucidology.com/101/pdf/lucidology-101-p10-vibrations-www-lucidology-com.pdf

To sum up his hypothesis: vibes are just energy frictions and more or less a sign of energy waste and lack of effectiveness in the separation process. If you learn the ropes of OBEs then you also learn to reduce the frictions and thus they decrease or vanish.

I cannot assess this theory adequately on my own for lack of sufficient experience. Recently, I only had "exits" into lucid projections from dreams without vibrations. Before that, I had them with vibrations (but very different ones) from the hypnopomp trance state. My very first OBEs were lucid dream conversions where I got "woken up" "back to my body" and starting to the ceiling upwards, and those vibrations were very HEAVY! Extremely heavy so it felt like thousand volts (without the pain of course) going through my whole body. Now I have only lighter and more evenly spread vibes (those from hypnopomp state). Thus for me it depends on the induction/exit method. However, the reduction of vibes for me could support the theory of the "learning effect" and "reduced friction". But I don't know for sure.

Xanth

This is then the perfect thread to discuss theories of what the Vibrations might be.

I'm still not decided if they're truly an objective experience.

CFT and Volgerle, thank you for the perspectives too!  :)

Anyone else have any other opinion?

NickisDank

the past 2 mornings i can actually say ive experience the vibrations, and they are DEF. very extreme and noticeable; its impossible for them to not be at that stage.

Everlasting

Everything is frequency (VIBRATION) when we shift dimension it's quite common to feel this vibrational shift. I thought this was common knowledge. 
Priests of hippocratic love talk of peace and Christ, Power is their only goal. Now they all shall die.

Xanth

Quote from: Everlasting on January 18, 2011, 09:00:16
Everything is frequency (VIBRATION) when we shift dimension it's quite common to feel this vibrational shift. I thought this was common knowledge.
That's the point though, it *IS* common knowledge.
However, I don't experience them anymore.  Many people here don't experience them either.

... and I'm unsure if it's because I'm "used" to them, or "Phasing" doesn't get them, or if I just don't expect to experience them.

That's what I'm asking.   
It's obvious if you experience them that they "feel" real.
My question is, do you really think they are real?

CFTraveler

Quote from: Everlasting on January 18, 2011, 09:00:16
Everything is frequency, but when you are beating at the same frequency as what's around you, it is not apparent.  What makes vibration (of any kind, not just shift vibes) to be perceived as such, is when you are beating at a different frequency, that is, not harmonically, with your environment.
That is why I suspect that separation vibrations 'go away' after you are experienced- perhaps you synch in to them quicker.  Just a hypothesis, not even a proper theory.

Stookie

Something I forgot to mention is that every time I've experienced vibes, it was accompanied with a pulsing heart-chakra. I don't know that I've ever had them without that chakra going crazy too. From what I've read in the past on the forum, some people just get the heart-chakra pulsing during separation without the vibes.

personalreality

my theory is that we normally experience the vibration of atoms in the physical as sensory input which is translated as sights, sounds, smells, etc., etc.  Then in the astral our brain is receiving a different kind of vibrational sensory input, but it's still translated into sensory information (though the stimuli themselves are of a different frequency of vibration).  The transition from physical to astral doesn't negate vibration.  But that transitory phase is vibrating in a frequency we are not familiar with.  We are familiar with the physical and astral vibrations, so our brain can process this stimuli.  But that in-between gradient of vibration is foreign to our brain, so early on, we don't know what to make of it and perceive it as what it is, infinite probability.  just the vibration of reality, pure and simple.  as we project more and more, our brain learns to handle that transitory vibration and we no longer feel it physically.
be awesome.

Xanth

Quote from: CFTraveler on January 18, 2011, 09:54:39
Everything is frequency, but when you are beating at the same frequency as what's around you, it is not apparent.  What makes vibration (of any kind, not just shift vibes) to be perceived as such, is when you are beating at a different frequency, that is, not harmonically, with your environment.
That is why I suspect that separation vibrations 'go away' after you are experienced- perhaps you synch in to them quicker.  Just a hypothesis, not even a proper theory.
So you're saying that it's some kind of "in-between" frequency shift?

Definitely plausible.  That was always my initial thoughts as well... along with the other "static noises" that people tend to report hearing.

CFTraveler

Quote from: Xanth on January 18, 2011, 14:46:40
So you're saying that it's some kind of "in-between" frequency shift?

Definitely plausible.  That was always my initial thoughts as well... along with the other "static noises" that people tend to report hearing.
That's what it seems like to me, yes.  PR expressed it well also, I think.

Xanth

I wouldn't say I'm experienced... but I don't get the Vibrations anymore either.

Perhaps it truly *IS* because with Phasing, you by-pass the point where vibrations happen.

I'm still curious by this... lol

Hmmm... thought...

Does anyone get Vibrations when they by-pass the RTZ and directly project to the Astral?

If individuals only get the Vibration while doing an RTZ (aka OBE)-type projection... then perhaps, it's related to that.

Again, just thinking outloud.

testing

I agree that vibes come with RTZ. In phasing you are shifting your consciousness but in RTZ its like you are trying to *physically* move your consciousness.

I think the brain cause vibes to manifest in the begining because that is how it processes what is happening....as it becomes more common the brain has integrated the process as normal...

Xanth

Quote from: testing on January 18, 2011, 15:26:58
I agree that vibes come with RTZ. In phasing you are shifting your consciousness but in RTZ its like you are trying to *physically* move your consciousness.

I think the brain cause vibes to manifest in the begining because that is how it processes what is happening....as it becomes more common the brain has integrated the process as normal...
Now THAT sounds like something I can wrap my head around.  :)

Volgerle

Quote from: Xanth on January 18, 2011, 15:17:35
Does anyone get Vibrations when they by-pass the RTZ and directly project to the Astral?

If individuals only get the Vibration while doing an RTZ (aka OBE)-type projection... then perhaps, it's related to that.

From my own experiences, I can second that idea. My only RTZ projections were those where I only had VERY strong vibrations, almost tearing me apart  :evil:. So the correlation for me would be the stronger the vibes the more or "nearer" I get (out) to the RTZ.
But I also have lighter vibes where I project to astral planes or lucid dreams - it seems (possibly I am also 'phasing' more into it recently, because I don't remember the exits anymore, there is just a 'switch' taking place, but still ... before that I may experience vibrations).

jub jub

I think it is pretty much accepted that the higher you go in the Astral realm, the higher the vibrations. Once a person has projected several times into the RTZ, their vibrational field increases so the more experience one has, the less they will feel them. They're natural vibrational field is closer to the Astral so the transition is not as intense.

The strongest vibrations I ever felt did not allow me to project. Instead I had the feeling of going upward into space and I had no sight. At the time I was  religious and thought the lord had come to take me home. But, as fate would have it, the vibrations stopped and I was back in my bedroom. However, the second time I experienced the vibrations, I was out and floating on the ceiling! Still, at this time I had no expectations because I had never heard of Astral travel.

I'm curious though, because it seemed that Monroe always mentioned having the vibrations even after many years and being as seasoned as he was, you would have thought they would have stopped.

This is a good topic for discussion!  :-)
"A moral being is one who is capable of reflecting on his past actions and their motives - approving of some and disapproving of others"  -  Charles Darwin

jub jub

I had a short RTZ OBE last night with full on vibrations. I do so love the vibrations and hope they never go away.  :-D
"A moral being is one who is capable of reflecting on his past actions and their motives - approving of some and disapproving of others"  -  Charles Darwin

Xanth

Quote from: jub jub on January 20, 2011, 08:22:27
I had a short RTZ OBE last night with full on vibrations. I do so love the vibrations and hope they never go away.  :-D
I used to get them all the time during my practices back when I was attempting the "classic obe".  But, now that I've switched over to Phasing... I don't experience them at all.

I'm still not 100% sold on the idea of them being something "real".

But yeah... looking for lots more opinions, thank you for yours Jubjub, it's much appreciated!

If anything, it's nice to get everyone's thoughts and ideas into a single location.  :)

CFTraveler

I miss vibrations.  They used to be so pleasant and interesting.

Xanth

Quote from: CFTraveler on January 20, 2011, 10:59:10
I miss vibrations.  They used to be so pleasant and interesting.
From time to time, when I read the accounts of other people... I do miss them as well.
I remember my first ones... I had fully read about them and figured I knew exactly what to expect.

Well, needless to say... they scared the ever-loving CRAP outta me even though I had all the book-smarts about the subject.  ROFL

Stookie

Quote from: Xanth on January 20, 2011, 09:45:31
I'm still not 100% sold on the idea of them being something "real".

If they aren't "real", what else would they be?

Xanth

Quote from: Stookie on January 20, 2011, 11:49:31
If they aren't "real", what else would they be?
Well then, that's the big question.  ;)
At least, it's MY big question.  lol