What am I doing wrong? Can't pass...

Previous topic - Next topic

JABuna

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this site (got approved yesterday new) so I'm sorry if this a constantly asked question by people, but this is my personal set of difficulties so I'm asking anyway.

So I feel like I'm getting very close to having an OBE, but I keep running into this problem; after getting my mind and body relaxed, for the most part (I'll go more into that in a bit) my hands and feet will lose feeling and my arms and legs will begin to lose feeling, maybe half way. Once I lose feeling in my arms, I'll start to notice how they feel like they're out as if in a cross position even tho they're right next to my legs. I'll continue to lay like this for however long I can until I ultimately move or roll over. 2 days ago when I was at my "plateau," I began having this very intense feeling of spinning (horizontally, like a Frisbee  :roll:) and flipping. I wouldn't flip completely, instead it felt like I was being stood up then turned upside down in a half circle motion back and forth. It made me feel a bit queezy but I stuck it out and it eventually stopped. That's as far as I got 2 days ago. Then last night I got to the same point where everything lost feeling and I even got a slight ringing in my ears. I was listening to some binaural beats because I feel like I get way too much ADHD (I have ADHD by the way) and it seems to help listening to something. Anyway, I could still hear the slight ringing through my headphones. Eventually the beats stopped and it became quiet once again. This time I was able to calm my thoughts a bit more. I felt like it was getting pretty intense until my arm preformed the mother of all twitches and lifted up in the air, waking me up and frustrating me.
Now lets fast forward to about 20 min ago. The same thing that always happens happened. Arms and legs went numb, but this time I was able to hold this position for about 1.5 hours, which is a record for my fidgety self. No music, just the sound of my heart beat getting louder and louder. This time, my arms were completely numb and felt very heavy and even my legs lost feeling up to my hip. Only my core and head weren't numb. My core and neck have never lost any feeling, not even slightly.
I believe I have a serious mental block that I don't know how to control. Every time I lose feeling of my extremities, my mind immediately starts focusing on that. Even if I try focusing on the darkness, or listening to the buzz in my ears my attention only focuses on that for a few seconds then jumps back to my arms and legs. My attention span makes a goldfish seem boss. Every so often I'll drift off a bit and my hands will begin tingling then I snap right back to it. It's like I get excited then can't control myself and it keeps me from progressing. I've never felt any vibrations or loud buzzing. It always stays dark and numb (that should be the name of a song). I've tried doing this at all times of the day, multiple times but still nothing.

Any suggestions on calming my mind and staying focused on not staying focused?
Anything I seem to be doing wrong or that I should be doing?
Am I getting close?
How do I bring the vibrations/ringing on?
Does any other laying position work? I don't normally sleep on my back so it's a bit weird for me. I have to lay at attention.
Is every part of my body supposed to lose feeling, or just the extremities?

Any advice you have for me would help and be greatly appreciated. I'd like to hear from noobs and vets. I know what works for some doesn't work for others but I want to try everything I can. This is something I've been attempting for quite a while, so frustration is beginning to build.

Thanks a lot in advance. And if you read through this whole post, you the real MVP  8-)

John
"If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it."
-Michael Jordan

Lumaza

Quote from: JABuna on February 13, 2016, 00:33:07
Anything I seem to be doing wrong or that I should be doing?
Am I getting close?
How do I bring the vibrations/ringing on?
Does any other laying position work? I don't normally sleep on my back so it's a bit weird for me. I have to lay at attention.
Is every part of my body supposed to lose feeling, or just the extremities?

Any advice you have for me would help and be greatly appreciated. I'd like to hear from noobs and vets. I know what works for some doesn't work for others but I want to try everything I can. This is something I've been attempting for quite a while, so frustration is beginning to build.
Hello John and Welcome!

By reading your post above it sounds like you are too focused on "signposts". These are symptoms and occurrences of a approaching conscious shift. We have all experienced and some of us, including myself, still do today.
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_out_of_body_experiences/exit_symptomssignposts-t46206.0.html

To rectify this you need to learn to focus on something else. This thread will give you some good ideas for that. Allow yourself to become consumed by the scenario you are experiencing. There is no need to "climb out " of anything or physically "exit" your body. Just stay the course and see where it leads.
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_astral_consciousness/the_doorway-t46013.0.html

You could also use your own methods like perhaps focus on a favorite hobby. Example shooting a basketball. First see the ball already in your hand and just launch it into the darkness before your eyes. You will soon see that something might just appear. When it does just passively observe it with a air of curiosity. But don't return your focus to your physical body until you are ready to. Even a "sneak peek" back will destroy what you have accomplished and are currently experiencing.

"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."  Nicolai Tesla

Enigmatik

Welcome JABuna.  First off I love your sense of humor.  That post was awesome!  Also, I would consider myself pretty newb, so use my experience as you wish.

My first OBE that I tried to produce was with a guided meditation on youtube.  Maybe that could keep you distracted enough to ignore your body.  This produced a extremely vivid OBE.  Now I usually try other methods.  I'm focusing on some of Lumaza's techniques at the moment and like he said maybe if you immerse yourself in your imagination and create a scenario you can actively be a part of your focus would stay away from your body.

Am I getting close?
I am honestly surprised with what I read in your post that your haven't had one yet.  Especially if you experienced sensations of spinning and such.

All of my OBE's have been while I layed on my back, except for one when I was on my side.  But I naturally chose to lay on my back.  And I practice in this fashion because this is a "belief" of mine that this is the "right" position to be in.  Maybe some of the more experienced members could state their experiences because I really am curious of whether or not being on your back matters.  I know Monroe used to always face the north or have his head to the north but this is most likely one of those "beliefs."  I have been facing any and every direction while having OBE's.

Good luck! 

JABuna

Thanks for the reply's. I checked out those articles and I'll try to put some of the stuff I learned to work. Do you remember what meditation you used, Enigmatik? I'll look one up before I try again in a few minutes. Listening to something definitely helps my focus and relaxes me. It actually helps me visualize much easier.
Everything I've read so far has led me to believe that laying on the back is most common.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll post some good news  :-D

Thanks
"If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it."
-Michael Jordan

Astralsuzy

When you loose feeling in your hands, legs etc. you are ready to ap.    Do an ap technique to get out of your body.   If you feel yourself spinning or turning, legs or arms in different positions and it is not your physical parts, spiritually move away from your body.   There are times when your physical arms or legs move or jerk and that wakes you up.   That is disappointing when that happens but that is the way it is. 

JABuna

Quote from: Astralsuzy on February 13, 2016, 08:26:27
When you loose feeling in your hands, legs etc. you are ready to ap.    Do an ap technique to get out of your body.   If you feel yourself spinning or turning, legs or arms in different positions and it is not your physical parts, spiritually move away from your body.   There are times when your physical arms or legs move or jerk and that wakes you up.   That is disappointing when that happens but that is the way it is. 

If losing feeling is a sign I'm ready then I'm usually ready within 20 min. I assumed it was more than just that. I only had the spinning feeling once, I don't know how to bring it on. I also don't know how to control my astral arms. I try to imagine them moving but then my real arms (just my hands 90% of the time) will start moving. It's like I can't control my hands moving.

What techniques do you recommend? I usually try the rope but that obviously hasn't done much.

As an update; last night I once again got close. This time I felt my leg move. I'm sure it was my astral leg because it suddenly felt bent even tho my legs were straight. I was afraid to put my focus there so I just let it be. There was a moment when I could see a very dull white/yellow light in front of me, almost like a white shadow of my face. Either way, nothing more happened because my mind became active. I notice my mind becomes over active once I feel close. More active when I first begin.

Ugh
-Michael Jordan

Lumaza

Hello again JABuna!  :-)

It sounds to me like your ADHD/Anxiety, whatever you want to call it is getting the best of you. Just RELAX, RELEASE and LET GO. You could actually use those words as a helpful "Mantra" if you wish.

You can't achieve this Art/skill by pressuring yourself. You also have to lose the fear, the expectations, the assumptions, all of that has to go. Just create the right "atmosphere", in this case a strong focus outside of your physical body and "allow" the shift to take place.

I know that sounds easy, but it's not right now for you because you are just new to this practice. Your first conscious shift seems easier then you second. This is because in your second you are now pressuring yourself to achieve it. In your first it normally happens "spontaneously" and you are thinking, wow, what was that.

Like I said, learn how to RELAX, RELEASE and LET GO. Keep a Journal of your progress. Everything new that occurs is known as positive progress.

Your last reply above shows that you are still awaiting physical symptoms, which still says that your focus is still too much physically oriented.

"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."  Nicolai Tesla

Astralsuzy

Quote from: JABuna on February 13, 2016, 15:08:34
If losing feeling is a sign I'm ready then I'm usually ready within 20 min. I assumed it was more than just that. I only had the spinning feeling once, I don't know how to bring it on. I also don't know how to control my astral arms. I try to imagine them moving but then my real arms (just my hands 90% of the time) will start moving. It's like I can't control my hands moving.
When you are losing your feeling, do an ap technique, something that you enjoy doing.   It might be surfing, playing a sport, drawing or anything.   If it does not work, keep going to get more relaxed.   Take deep slow breaths or whatever you do to get more relaxed.  When you become so relaxed you will slip out of your body or float out of your body.   If it does not happen do an ap technique again.   It will work.   When you are extremely relaxed it happens.   Do not try to bring things on as it happens by itself and it can happen in different ways.   I can move my astral self to move away from my body but it took time.    It did not happen over night.    You could keep trying and eventually you will get there.   The ap author Buhlman says to say door now.   It will work provided you believe it will work.  You can imagine you are rolling out of your body.   I did that technique and it worked.   As you found that our minds has to stay relaxed.

JABuna

I've been trying all the tips you all have been giving me. Some seem to work. Every time I try (which is about 2-3 times a day) I seem to have a different reaction and get (I hope) a bit closer. I tried just now and repeated a mantra the whole time. This time my arms lost all feeling and felt separated, I think. My biggest problem is focusing too much on my arms, but this time I was able to concentrate on my thoughts much more. However, this time I had another problem. It was like a phantom movement. Usually my arms will start to raise without me trying. I'll let them, thinking it's my astral arms only to have them touch in the air and they end up being my actual arms. This time, tho, it was different. My shoulders began to shrug, giving me a tingly sensation in my arms. I let it happen because I never had this happen to me. It felt like my chest wanted to start raising, as if I was trying to hover. Eventually my shoulders moved so close it began to give me back spasms, so I pushed them back. Anyone ever experience that before?

I seem to always feel this pressure in the middle of my forehead (3rd eye) and trying to "look" at or focus on it adds more. Is that something, or am I just straining my eyes? I still have yet to feel any "vibrations."

I swear one day soon I'll make a reply with a bunch of !!!!!! telling everyone how excited I am that I had my first OBE. Putting a lot of work into this, so it'll be a beautiful day  :wink:
-Michael Jordan

Astralsuzy

Two things, practice makes perfect.    The more you do it, the easier it gets. 
Second, the more you believe it will work, the easier it gets.

EscapeVelocity

Everyone is giving you very good advice. I will offer one alternative that worked for me and should only compliment the current work you are doing. You can try it tonight.

The Wake, Back To Bed technique (WBTB)

Go to bed at your normal time and set your alarm to gently awaken you after approximately 3-4 hours of sleep. Then get up and hit the bathroom, wash your face, have a small drink of water and sit and read your favorite OBE book for thirty minutes. Then go back to bed and attempt one of your exit techniques or just observe yourself as your body falls back to sleep.

The key is finding the proper relationship where your body is partly rested but still tired enough to slide off into sleep, but not strong enough to drag your awareness along with it.

I like to prop myself up with 3 or 4 pillows. This can also be good for waking an hour or two earlier than you normally wake-up.

You can also prep your subconscious with a couple affirmations:
- I will have an out of body experience tonight
- I give myself permission to project

You are close...
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
                                                          -O. Wilde

JABuna

Quote from: EscapeVelocity on February 13, 2016, 22:48:41
Everyone is giving you very good advice. I will offer one alternative that worked for me and should only compliment the current work you are doing. You can try it tonight.

The Wake, Back To Bed technique (WBTB)

Go to bed at your normal time and set your alarm to gently awaken you after approximately 3-4 hours of sleep. Then get up and hit the bathroom, wash your face, have a small drink of water and sit and read your favorite OBE book for thirty minutes. Then go back to bed and attempt one of your exit techniques or just observe yourself as your body falls back to sleep.

The key is finding the proper relationship where your body is partly rested but still tired enough to slide off into sleep, but not strong enough to drag your awareness along with it.

I like to prop myself up with 3 or 4 pillows. This can also be good for waking an hour or two earlier than you normally wake-up.

You can also prep your subconscious with a couple affirmations:
- I will have an out of body experience tonight
- I give myself permission to project

You are close...

Thanks for the tip! I've tried that before but only when I wake up naturally or after my alarm accidentally goes off. I'll try setting my alarm earlier. Once I wake up I'm usually too tired to move and fall back to sleep without caring much, but I'll push myself to do it. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks
-Michael Jordan