What do you do with your tongue and jaw?

Previous topic - Next topic

M4RT1N

When you are trying to get sleep paralysis what do you do with your tongue and jaw? I've noticed that when I let the base of my tongue fall I snore, and people only snore when they sleep, so maybe it's easier to make your body fall asleep if you let your tongue fall. Also it would make sense if your jaw would fall when you sleep, but I've never heard of anyone saying you should let your jaw fall when you're aiming for SP. So what do you do with them?

Xanth

Quote from: M4RT1N on March 02, 2014, 12:22:54
When you are trying to get sleep paralysis what do you do with your tongue and jaw? I've noticed that when I let the base of my tongue fall I snore, and people only snore when they sleep, so maybe it's easier to make your body fall asleep if you let your tongue fall. Also it would make sense if your jaw would fall when you sleep, but I've never heard of anyone saying you should let your jaw fall when you're aiming for SP. So what do you do with them?
If you're finding that when your body relaxes while lying on your back that you snore... don't lie on your back.
Try lying on your side instead.  No snoring.  :)

M4RT1N

Quote from: Xanth on March 02, 2014, 13:23:22
If you're finding that when your body relaxes while lying on your back that you snore... don't lie on your back.
Try lying on your side instead.  No snoring.  :)

If I let the base of my tongue fall while I'm standing then I still snore. No matter what position I'm in I'll snore and it'll be hard to breathe if I let my tongue's base fall, but that's probably what happens when we sleep so if I'm trying to make my body sleep then that's probably what I should do isn't it?

Xanth

Quote from: M4RT1N on March 02, 2014, 13:28:42
If I let the base of my tongue fall while I'm standing then I still snore. No matter what position I'm in I'll snore and it'll be hard to breathe if I let my tongue's base fall, but that's probably what happens when we sleep so if I'm trying to make my body sleep then that's probably what I should do isn't it?
You've got it.  :)

M4RT1N

But no one's ever said anything about the falling of the base of the tongue being good for getting sleep paralysis so I can't be sure if it even does anything, it could even be bad for it, it makes it hard to breathe and it's very inconvenient to do. Has anyone else tried this?

Xanth

Quote from: M4RT1N on March 03, 2014, 11:14:56
But no one's ever said anything about the falling of the base of the tongue being good for getting sleep paralysis so I can't be sure if it even does anything, it could even be bad for it, it makes it hard to breathe and it's very inconvenient to do. Has anyone else tried this?
You worry too much.  :-)

When I meditate laying down, I have to do so on my side because doing on my back causes my throat to collapse causing me to snore.   

I do what feels right to me.  Just do whatever feels right to you.

Lionheart

Do whatever comes natural. You do that every night when you go to sleep. So, why make a problem of it now?

M4RT1N

Quote from: Lionheart on March 03, 2014, 17:11:12
Do whatever comes natural. You do that every night when you go to sleep. So, why make a problem of it now?

Because my body probably expects my tongue to fall when I've fallen asleep and if my tongue never falls I may have to wait longer to get SP or I may not get it at all. My body might know that only when I've fallen asleep does my tongue fall and if my tongue falls it may be easier to induce sleep paralysis.

Xanth

Quote from: M4RT1N on March 04, 2014, 10:47:08
Because my body probably expects my tongue to fall when I've fallen asleep and if my tongue never falls I may have to wait longer to get SP or I may not get it at all. My body might know that only when I've fallen asleep does my tongue fall and if my tongue falls it may be easier to induce sleep paralysis.
You've got a problem brewing here...

You're focusing entirely too much on sleep paralysis.  You're doing it so much you're going to sabotage your efforts. 

M4RT1N

Quote from: Xanth on March 04, 2014, 12:57:23
You've got a problem brewing here...

You're focusing entirely too much on sleep paralysis.  You're doing it so much you're going to sabotage your efforts. 

Why is it bad to focus on sp? I'm not trying to phase,  all I need to do is relax and pretend that I've fallen asleep isn't it?

CFTraveler

Why?

M4RT1N

Quote from: CFTraveler on March 04, 2014, 15:22:15
Why are you trying to get SP?

Phasing is too hard or just doesn't work for me. If I get sp then I should be able to leave easily.

Xanth

Quote from: M4RT1N on March 04, 2014, 15:20:01
Why is it bad to focus on sp? I'm not trying to phase,  all I need to do is relax and pretend that I've fallen asleep isn't it?
Because when you focus upon SP as your goal, that is all you'll attain.
You're programming your mind to stop at that point.

The reason why you can't phase isn't because it's too hard... you do it ever single night of your life, you just do it unconsciously... everyone does it.
You just need to figure out how to keep your mind active enough.

Szaxx

Think of the taste of many different cakes.
ANYTHING that's not your body is a good start.
SP is a myth, it's not something you need, your body sets it up automatically. YOU do nothing.
There's so much out there that's so confusing. The whole process is natural.
Relax and stay aware. The rest will do itself.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

M4RT1N

Quote from: Szaxx on March 05, 2014, 01:37:24
Think of the taste of many different cakes.
ANYTHING that's not your body is a good start.
SP is a myth, it's not something you need, your body sets it up automatically. YOU do nothing.
There's so much out there that's so confusing. The whole process is natural.
Relax and stay aware. The rest will do itself.

So if I would lay in bed relaxed and would stay awake I would phase? Wouldn't I need to focus on anything or visualise? How would I stay awake?

Szaxx

Waiting for the thunder after the flash of lightning, you may count the seconds, you may simply wait. This occupied mind of yours during this act is totally passive if you don't count. It's also totally receptive.  It waits in expectancy for the noise of the thunder.
Imagine the flash for an instant. Now wait with the same mindset for the thunder.
Be receptive, listen for anything else too. You'll hear the wind, perhaps some muffled talking. You may hear someone shouting at you, it could be your own voice you hear. Even the thunder itself can manifest.
Do this as an exercise and forget you're in a body completely. No SP no vibes, nothing but your self awareness.
If you start drifting away from the expected thunder, create another flash, this time brighter, really imagine seeing it. Wait again.
Play with your awareness this way and be prepared for an exit to occur without you conciously doing anything.

M4RT1N

Quote from: Szaxx on March 05, 2014, 15:53:16
Waiting for the thunder after the flash of lightning, you may count the seconds, you may simply wait. This occupied mind of yours during this act is totally passive if you don't count. It's also totally receptive.  It waits in expectancy for the noise of the thunder.
Imagine the flash for an instant. Now wait with the same mindset for the thunder.
Be receptive, listen for anything else too. You'll hear the wind, perhaps some muffled talking. You may hear someone shouting at you, it could be your own voice you hear. Even the thunder itself can manifest.
Do this as an exercise and forget you're in a body completely. No SP no vibes, nothing but your self awareness.
If you start drifting away from the expected thunder, create another flash, this time brighter, really imagine seeing it. Wait again.
Play with your awareness this way and be prepared for an exit to occur without you conciously doing anything.

I've been trying this but after I see the flash I can't control my thoughts, I hear annoying music,  ads etc.  I try to control them but I can't for long enough and then it takes about 10 seconds to remember what I was doing (because my eyes are closed). Does it matter if I count or not?

Szaxx

Anything that helps you to stay on track is worthwhile. The amount of distractions during meditation are quite high compared to waking life. The amount of distractions that you may encounter while on a mission in the astral dwarf these.
That's the reason why meditation is so helpful. You start off witnessing and responding to distractions initially, then you begin to develop a mindset where your INTENT increases and these distractions have far less of an effect. It's keeping this intent active, then you will stay on track far longer and get deeper into trance. Eventually you can ignore almost all the distractions and that puts you in the ballpark for concious OBE's at will.
Keep your mind FOCUSED on the task at hand and you'll succeed. All your distractions start to fade into less importance, eventually they'll dissapear.
Nothing can stand in your way.
It may take a while to master but the benefits outweigh anything. You end up naturally thinking before you react.
This helps in the art immensely, it also changes your mindset into one that will give you a wider range of experiences in the NP. You'll not be stuck in the RTZ for decades.

M4RT1N

Quote from: Szaxx on March 09, 2014, 17:27:36
Anything that helps you to stay on track is worthwhile. The amount of distractions during meditation are quite high compared to waking life. The amount of distractions that you may encounter while on a mission in the astral dwarf these.
That's the reason why meditation is so helpful. You start off witnessing and responding to distractions initially, then you begin to develop a mindset where your INTENT increases and these distractions have far less of an effect. It's keeping this intent active, then you will stay on track far longer and get deeper into trance. Eventually you can ignore almost all the distractions and that puts you in the ballpark for concious OBE's at will.
Keep your mind FOCUSED on the task at hand and you'll succeed. All your distractions start to fade into less importance, eventually they'll dissapear.
Nothing can stand in your way.
It may take a while to master but the benefits outweigh anything. You end up naturally thinking before you react.
This helps in the art immensely, it also changes your mindset into one that will give you a wider range of experiences in the NP. You'll not be stuck in the RTZ for decades.

Would any kind of meditation help with this technique? Also how long should it take to phase using this technique? Today I did it for about 3 hours, losing focus after about 15 seconds after seeing the flash, then after about a minute repeating. For some reason this technique is extremely difficult for me.

Lionheart

If that is too hard for you. You could just ALLOW your mind to run wild and watch it as it does. ALLOW the thoughts to come, but don't analyze or continue the thought. Just let the thoughts pass by. It sounds like you are fighting this natural process, simply because you want to remain in control.

Some nights my mind is going a thousand miles an hour as well. But I have learned not to fight it. I just don't give it any more "fuel" per say. Go with the flow. If you mind is busy with thoughts, ALLOW them in.

You could also try to create storylines/scenarios of your own. Be the director, you will see by doing this that in no time at all you will also be the actor!  :wink:

All you need is a good NP focus. There are tons of ways to get that. Be creative.  :-)

Szaxx

I tried various methods to stay in focus this afternoon. I was sat in my car at a supermarket with.a fairground 100 feet away. I parked near the entrance too. The noise was.quite high.
Next I tried to go into trance. The best method was to make a simple mantra, it actually worked, in 3 mins I was snoring and generating a scene to enter into.
Trying to ignore the noise failed miserably, by doing something (the mantra), the concentration on the noise was removed and though they were still heard they went into the background. That's all it took. Just enough to remove the awareness of distractions did it. They ended up similar to that wind sound you hear before an exit.
Finding that ' just enough' that works for you personally is all it takes. Experiment a little, see how you go.

M4RT1N

Quote from: Szaxx on March 23, 2014, 18:44:35
I tried various methods to stay in focus this afternoon. I was sat in my car at a supermarket with.a fairground 100 feet away. I parked near the entrance too. The noise was.quite high.
Next I tried to go into trance. The best method was to make a simple mantra, it actually worked, in 3 mins I was snoring and generating a scene to enter into.
Trying to ignore the noise failed miserably, by doing something (the mantra), the concentration on the noise was removed and though they were still heard they went into the background. That's all it took. Just enough to remove the awareness of distractions did it. They ended up similar to that wind sound you hear before an exit.
Finding that ' just enough' that works for you personally is all it takes. Experiment a little, see how you go.

I tried this today for 47 minutes, I completely forgot about all the distractions and I wasn't thinking too much but nothing happened. How do you begin to generate a scene?

Astralzombie

QuoteHow do you begin to generate a scene?

Think about doing a task. Say that you want to build a wall. What materials will you use?

Say you decide on bricks. Great. Are they all the same size and color?

How heavy are they?

Flip them over and inspect that they are all solid and intact. Look out for snakes.

Will you just stack them up so that anything can knock them down or will you use mortar? That's good if you do.

Are you gonna mix your own or just open a bucket of pre-mixed.

I know that's a boring scene but at some point, I'm sure you imagined some aspects. When you can no longer go with a scene, don't fret and analyze. Move on to another task in your mind.

Do this enough times and you will eventually notice a detail that you did not purposely generate. You might turn to grab a brick and notice that a tree is there or even someone else. That's always fun. :-o
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain

CFTraveler

You can also take an 'imaginary' walk, in a place you've been before, and as you 'walk' the path, you see things that are there- trees, or benches, or rivers, or whatever you want to see.  Add things that are not there in real life, and keep 'moving'.  That's one of  my favorite methods.
Why?

M4RT1N

Quote from: CFTraveler on March 28, 2014, 11:10:06
You can also take an 'imaginary' walk, in a place you've been before, and as you 'walk' the path, you see things that are there- trees, or benches, or rivers, or whatever you want to see.  Add things that are not there in real life, and keep 'moving'.  That's one of  my favorite methods.

How long do you think it should take for a beginner to phase using this technique? Does it matter if I open my eyes or move a bit every few minutes? And does it matter if I forget what I'm doing for a few minutes and then continue to walk?