What is going wrong???

Previous topic - Next topic

astral man

:oops: Hi guys, my name is trent and i am kind of new to this forum. Anyway, I have been practicing astral projection for about a week, and I am just wondering.

I am using a technique called a swing in the park or something where you visualize that you are on a swing in the park, after you have relaxed completely. It then says that you have to imagine that you begin to swing, getting higher and faster and feel the feelings that you do when you swing. It then says that when you get to the peak of a good high swing, just jump off, and then you will be in your astral body.

I do all of that really good  :wink: , and when i jump off i get the vibrations in a big rush, and then I  just fall to the ground  :cry:  ( in my imagination of course), and then nothing happens, so i open my eyes and i am still in my normal body.......Is something else meant to happen after that, or do I just need to keep practicing it more.  :oops: Oh and if you do get into your astral body, can you open your eyes????, without you physical eyes opening and wrecking it???
"People only see what they are prepared to see."

Tyciol

One's astral eye is supposed to be able to open without the physical eyes opening. As to how, not exactly sure, it would be a strange sensation. Sort of like having a tail, you don't know how you could move it until you have one.

Jeff_Mash

I see a big problem with techniques like that, especially for beginners, and I'll tell you why.

First of all, imagining that you're swinging on a swing is a physical activity.  Not only that, but this type of activity brings about adrenaline in your system.  Just from reading your post and seeing that you're a beginner, I am pretty darn sure that these "vibrations in a big rush" is nothing more than that sinking, surging feeling of adrenaline, the same that happens when you imagine yourself jumping off a building.

Perhaps you should try an exercise less adrenaline charged, like imaging yourself climbing a rope, or slowly rising up in an elevator.
Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash
http://www.mjmmagic.com

Nostic

Well Trent, you've only been trying for a week. Being able to have a fully conscious OBE at will is very difficult to achieve. If my understanding is correct, most peoples OBE's are spontaneous. I think its all just a matter of persistence. Keep trying NEW and you will eventually see results of some kind.

anonymous57

I reccommend OBEing from a lucid dream. Much easier to do. Do a search for loads of techniques for LD

astral man

The Night Mist

I agree, OBE is easier to do from and LD because the body is already sleeping then but...I think it's pretty hard to have an LD at will

astralpwka

I am another who can project from the lucid dream, but has trouble from the conscious state, but here is where my understanding now lies at projecting consciously:

You have to master a trance state where your body is drifting off to sleep but you keep your mind awake. It makes sense to me, but it's very difficult. When my body wants to go to sleep, its amazing how well it can tell my mind to let it roll over and forget about projecting.  :?  I wish I had stronger willpower.  :D

geoff

Hi,

Just to Follow from Jeff's reply, and expand on it a little... are you Ticklish?

If you get on a swing in 'reality', and you swing high and far, how does it make you feel?

If it makes you feel scared, weak, woozy, whatever, that exact visualisation isn't right for you.

The ideas and principles of any form of 'escape' routine is based on the mindset of the individual explaining them.

Rather than 'painting by numbers' and following instructions, try to take the experiences of the things you have read, personalise them, and make them work for you.

After all, there are no 'wrong' answers here!

Kind regards,

Geoff

The Night Mist

astralpwka

Yeah I know what you mean...I get that quite often, when I get close to a trance or something, I feel so tired as if I hadn't had sleep in ages and I just want to roll over and get some sleep...It's very hard to fight this state and even if I do, I just fall asleep...Does anyone know how to overcome this or is this just one of the classic "Practice makes perfect" ?

geoff

Why fight the need to sleep?

Just a thought :)

Geoff

astral man

astralpwka when you say trance, do you mean that you can't feel your arms and legs, and they are really heavy???? because i can get that to happen, and that is where i start to do the visualization, and try to project :)

Leo Volont

Quote from: geoffWhy fight the need to sleep?

Just a thought :)

Geoff

In the thick annals of Asceticism, even Sleep Deprivation has had its Chapters.

Firstly, it has been found that those denied sleep, and particularly deprived of dreams, by shaking them awake as their REM cycles commense, that these people will eventually begin to dream anyway, even if they are awake.  It is thought that many Monks have their Religious Visions while awake only because they have systematically deprived themselves of ordinary sleep and dreams.

I recently found a really neat publishing house -- The India Club in Voorhees New Jersey -- and have ordered a book compiled by the Sri Aurobindo people regarding his practice of training to stay conscious in sleep.  When I read the book and digest its details, I'll be sure to get back to you about it (the topic will certainly come up again, no?)

geoff

reading is cool.

Rizla taught me something;

"Involve me, and I'll understand"

G

Pindar

Quote from: Leo VolontI recently found a really neat publishing house -- The India Club in Voorhees New Jersey -- and have ordered a book compiled by the Sri Aurobindo people regarding his practice of training to stay conscious in sleep.  When I read the book and digest its details, I'll be sure to get back to you about it (the topic will certainly come up again, no?)

This seems a bit like Yoga Nidra (yogic sleep), am I right?
The idea is to bring every bodypart into focus one by one so you can release all tension until your body falls asleep with the mind still awake.
This kind of sleep is said to have been used by yogis as a method to dissolve old karma. It would be very interesting to hear about the techniques recommended in the book you mention.  :)