whats the deal? why is it so hard to OBE for some?

Previous topic - Next topic

Greytraveller

You are quite right J-Man. Some people do try WAY too hard to induce projections. To make matters worse some of these people also become easily frustrated if they fail to achieve an OBE after a few weeks.
There are two main obstacles to projection - Fear and Frustration. Most people eventually get past the fear barrier. Yet of those people who cannot project most of them fail because they quit trying after a certain amount of time. What normally happens is that they try REALLY hard for a few weeks, then get frustrated, (then maybe try again for a few more weeks) and then give up because they think that it is too difficult. Seen in this way the frustration barrier is far more insidious then the Fear Barrier because frustration is largely a self-made problem. It can be overcome, especially with patience. Yet, surprisingly, frustration causes Many people to fail (for first trying too hard then not trying at all!).

Fat_Turkey

Frustration comes from reading about other people's successes and you create your own mental blocks by thinking you won't be like them, just because your experiences are different. The best medicine is to read as little as you can about it, and then keep trying the methods you hear about until it works. If you read too much about a particular thing, it throws you off.

If you read too much, astral projection becomes more of a process of unlearning, rather than learning a skill. And seeing as we are so much accustomed to learning rather than deleting all that we know, it is better to keep the reading down a little.

Later
-FT
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
-Anonymous

No amount of rigorous training, sitting and doing nothing, and clearing one's mind can help a man who hasn't overcome his doubts.

weagle

I want to astral project more and more, knowing the sleep induced method works many times over (ie sleep 5hours wakeup wash face then drop back to sleep, if aware of dreaming stare/do awareness on a fixed object til dream shuts down then slowly crawl out of bed on your dreambody).  But this AP only lasts 30secs or so because my awareness is low, you have to increase awareness for them to last longer and be able to go to places, such as staring at a object/candle and staring/listening/feeling at same time being aware of the environment and inside of you at the same time.  I heard also there is technique to eliminate any ego's that pull you from awareness this is at mysticweb site can't wait to take the esoteric course it's explained the method of abolishing the ego which gets in the way (chatterbox mind you can also call it).

no_leaf_clover

after i read j-man's post yesterday, i kept that in mind while going to bed this morning, and i had my first lucid dream in a while. it was also my longest. thanks [^]
What is the sound of no leaves cloving?

J-Man

dude i heard about it, went online, read a little about it, practised meditating, and after one or two weeks of meditating, i finally tried it, and it worked.

whats with all the software and books and methods?

i think people are trying WAYYYYY too hard. heres what worked for me:

stop trying so hard for a week or 2. dont even TRY to project. in fact, DONT, even if its working. just relax, and meditate.

eventually it will just come naturally. one night, just go all the way. simple. enjoy.

i just dont understand why we need like 43645645 stickies on this.