why do you do it?

Previous topic - Next topic

TCL

I have read here on this form, that a lot of you are using different techniques to try to induce an OBE. My question is: What do you hope to accomplish by doing this?

The reason I am asking is, because for the last 2 or 3 years I've been having spontaneous OBE's. I can't control when they happen, and I can't stop them. They always start with an intense vibration around my head. I'm aware of what's happening, but I can't move and I'm powerless to stop it.

The next thing that usually happens is I roll out of my bed, but I'm not in my body. I usually walk down the hall in my home and exit out through the door, or sometimes right through my bedroom window. I'm fully aware of what's happening.

Once outside my home, I'm in a world of intense vividness. Everything seems to have this intense glow. Look up in the sky, and there are a billion stars and it seems you could touch them. The colors are incredibility vivid. Unless you have experienced this, words can't really describe it.

Interesting thing is, I forget almost all my dreams. Even the lucid ones. But I remember all of my OBE's.

Now you might think this is wonderful, but there have been other times when the experience was frightening to say the least. Scary landscapes, and sometimes scary entity's there too.

Really I just wish it would stop. I want to live life in the here and now, in a world I can touch. This whole experience is unnerving.

I just don't understand what could be gained by intentionally inducing OBE's. Not to mention some of the unpleasant things that could happen as a result of attempting this. We really don't know what were dealing with here.

I wish there was a way to make this stop. I feel helpless. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Tony

Awakened_Mind

Well it seems to be a part of who you are if they are happening spontaneously. Personally I'd say you will do more damage trying to deny yourself the ability than to explore it.

At the moment you seem to be having a problem with fear, which is perfectly normal. The here and now contains elements that are both beautiful and terrifying, it really depends on what perspective you adopt momentarily.

To put something straight here, nothing majorily unpleasant has happened to Astral Explorers. At worst usually we are looking at bad reactions to the experience such as fear. Some people react negatively to pharmaceuticals that are supposed to be supportive of an individuals physiology and immune system. Psychological reactions are a little more complex in terms of Obe's.

Things that can really play a role is nutrition and exercise, why they are not necessary to have an OBE, they definitely support a positive mindset when having the experience. Are you exercising at all? Secondly, what's your nutrition like? When you have the OBE's is there any type of consistent variable that precedes the experience?

-AM
Truth exists beyond the dimension of thought.

kiwibonga

I've used OBEs to cure many of my fears by facing them directly... These include fear of the dark, anxiety when in public places, stress over inevitable outcomes... This summer, I was even able to spend every lunch break in the middle of a park near my workplace which is full of bees and wasps, even though I've always been very scared of insects. I am doing things now that I would never have done in the 20 years before I became an out of body traveler...

That is just one example of something that is to be gained from these experiences, even the negative ones... You also gain a whole new perspective on life, and start to understand why it's important not to sit idly complaining about your condition -- it enables you to live life to the fullest and make the best of what you have.

Personal benefits aside, it's a skill which, according to the claims of many, could hold the key to numerous mysteries, some of which cause humanity to be depressed or to wage wars. If everyone could have this "different overview," as Monroe calls it, we would all probably be much better off.

Scientifically speaking, it's a gold mine... I don't mind the risks if it means having the potential to make new discoveries that would further our understanding of the universe. And even if it turns out to all be a big hoax, its implications in the field of psychotherapy still justify further investigation...

The out of body state is like life... If you don't have an interest in the good things you can do and obtain from it, then you will remain stuck in the same situations, stagnating instead of following a path of evolution.

I took a long break in my practice because, like you, I started to doubt that there was anything useful about it. It did not make sense anymore to bring about experiences that are so similar to what death supposedly is -- why experience minutes of something that will happen no matter what and last forever?

I won't kid myself and claim that I've found the meaning of life, but OBEs have made life that much more meaningful. I feel that now that I've suceeded in bettering myself, I can work on helping others do the same thing. Makes sense, right?
OBE counter: Lost track! 35+ since 3/21/2006

TCL

Quote from: Awakened_Mind on December 11, 2007, 03:46:35

Things that can really play a role is nutrition and exercise, why they are not necessary to have an OBE, they definitely support a positive mindset when having the experience. Are you exercising at all? Secondly, what's your nutrition like? When you have the OBE's is there any type of consistent variable that precedes the experience?

-AM

Not really exercising but eating OK. Can't really identify anything that precedes the OBE. They seem to be random events. The only thing consistent with the experience is the intense vibration that precedes the OBE. I also (but much more infrequently) sometimes experience a sensation like a strong wind blowing over my body when I'm lying down. I don't have an OBE when this happens, but like the OBE, I seem to be paralyzed. Any Idea what this could be?

Tony

Nostic

I do it because I don't like being a slave to my body, its desires and compulsions. Call me a control freak :-D

CFTraveler

David Warner

TCL,

I have been projecting for the last twenty years and am very lucky I found this through a friend's suggestion. Through OBEs, I am a hospice volunteer (companion to the dying), humantarian for AIDS walks, active with church and community. Help people through my web site about OBEs, and among other aspects physical and spiritual growth. I have been on numerous radio stations for interviews, and working on my first book.

All of this has stemed from OBEs and is a gift. I am also a very hard worker and do a lot of research, study, experience OBEs weekly. Not to mention, steadily for the last twenty years of projecting and working towards controlled vs. random experiences. You have to show up everyday and train for the olympics if you want success in this.

It all depends on how you look at OBEs and what can be achieved from it - scientific, spiritual, or religios.  Also, use positive intent when projecting and helping others back here in the physical and the other side. In physical and spiritual - there always will be the good and bad - this is how we learn through experiences.

Tvos
InvisibleLight - Book Release 12.12.2012
www.invisiblelight.us

Old Dood

Seriously I wish I had TCL's 'Problem'.
I am not kidding or making fun/light of his situation either.

Many people want to have these and are not.

I would think that you need to explore what is happening to you to the fullest and maybe then you will understand as to why and maybe then they will 'go away'.

Just my thought on it...that is all.
Time will Tell...
MY SPECIAL PURPOSE

David Warner

Old Dood,

How far have you taken this? Goto my web site: www.invisiblelight.us and look at my research, data, experiences, stats, and everything that I put into 24/7. Ask yourself "am I really passionate and train as if this is the olympics".

When I first started out - I would write or say 500 times a day "I will project". Read everything I could possible get my hands on, communicate with forums (BBS boards back then), exercise with chanting and repetitive "i will project".. Not to mention track everything!

If you really want this, more then anything in the world - go the distance...

Tvos
www.invisiblelight.us

Old Dood

I have gone to your website.

You are in GR? Right?

Yes, I need to re-check out your site some more.

It is a good one.  You put a LOT of work into it...
Time will Tell...
MY SPECIAL PURPOSE

Mustardseed

Dear Tony
Long ago I started a similar topic, as my issues were similar to yours. I practised for years to make the experiences stop and go away, and I for one applaud your effort in mastering this.

This board is populated by people who are working on making OBEs happen, not the other way around, and therefore the risks involved hardly get mentioned.

People experiment with Raising the Kundalini etc and very few people will be up front with the fact that there are many thousands of people who have had severe trauma because of a Kundalini experience.

I believe that OBEs May be similar.

I would encourage you to master your OBEs, in your case it would be to make them stop. I did and it is working well for me.

It is true that fear is a very big problem in OBEs, certainly in the very beginning, but you seem to have been around the Astral block a few times so this is not a problem for you. Whatever you get counselled to do here on the Pulse as well as other places, take it with a grain of salt. It is just peoples opinion. No one will lead you astray here by purpose, most are real fine folks, but their experience and life is not yours, so you will have to find your own way through.

I would suggest you apply Robert Bruce's suggestions in this quote:

A Little Sage Advice To Close On:

Question everything, especially the sacred cows of dogma. Always think for yourself. Experiment and learn from all that life has to offer you. Listen to and consider the wisdom of others, and try on their ideas as you might try on a new coat for size. Never buy a new coat just because it seems to fit; it must be practical, within your price range, and look good on you too. And above all, build your own foundation belief system from the wealth of your own personal life experience.

I would say that this is wise counsel. In your case it would be prudent to learn more about shutting these things down rather than making them increase.

If you agree I should  be glad to offer advise.

Regards Mustardseed
Words.....there was a time when I believed in words!

David Warner

Old Dood,

The web site is a tool for people to learn from, visit, understand, and more a less "see" what it takes to succeed. All I see on the net is just posting of experiences, no background, science, or taking this further by exploration. People want a quick OBE fast-food fix and that just doesn't exist. Just by thinking,talking about OBEs will help a bit but in order to project you have to be in the game 24/7. Education, communication, experimenting, tracking statistics, journals, energy work and a lot of patience!

Tony,

When I started projecting back twenty years ago, for at least 3-4yrs into the game I did get very tired of it and needed to focus on the physical. It did take awhile to break projections from occurring daily/weekly. I still projected but not on a high level. Learn balence and control about producing when you want to project.

I agree with Mustardseed, find out 'why' and experience what there is to offer. But also learn control!

tvos
www.invisiblelight.us

CFTraveler

First of all sorry for my previous answer- I answer a lot of questions from people that want to know my personal motivation, and that makes me turn off somewhat.  I confess I didn't finish reading your post.  Everyone gave you great advice, now I want to add some to the mix.
You say that you have OBE's but don't want them, and that you have very poor dream recall.  I find this very interesting, and curious. 
I often have recurring dreams, and usually they are significant once I take a good look at them, and if I figure out what or if I'm supposed to do about them then either they'll go away or the next one will appear that I need to learn something from.
The truth is, that we live in a greater reality, be it as citizens of a larger universe than we think, or as possessors of some interesting psychology.  Whichever worldview you subscribe to, usually when your subconscious tells you something it's for a reason, and an OBE is as much a vehicle for your subconscious to talk to you, as anything/one else.  If you are having these experiences of expanded awareness whether you want them or not, then you have to analyze them to see what they mean just like any dream.  Maybe when you figure this out, you will be able to find a way to make them stop, as a participant, instead of a passive/unwilling recipient.

Nostic

Quote from: the voice of silence on December 16, 2007, 01:45:20

All of this has stemmed from OBEs and is a gift. I am also a very hard worker and do a lot of research, study, experience OBEs weekly. Not to mention, steadily for the last twenty years of projecting and working towards controlled vs. random experiences. You have to show up everyday and train for the Olympics if you want success in this.

Tvos

Can you expand on this tvos? Are your projections still frequently random? How difficult do you find them to control? Are there any specific ways you are trying to solve this problem? Other that just working harder?

Osat

hi  i got 2 advices for you ...
1. My friend was very lucky just like you i would like to say lucky because you should know that it is not a very easy ability that everyone can do all the time.. anyway my friend was suffering from OBE's  and she came to a suggestion... she talk to a reiki master and that person adviced her to place crystals next to her bed ever since that time she is not having any  OBE's ...the reason is (as she said) '' Crystal drains your energy''
2. you can try to use these OBe in a way useful ... i may practise to control them and use them in to your good benefits there are many ppl talking about why they need AP or other things u may read their posts and find an aim for your self aswell ... if you still think its not worth it then just try my first advice...

ariesr

A Little Sage Advice To Close On:

Question everything, especially the sacred cows of dogma. Always think for yourself. Experiment and learn from all that life has to offer you. Listen to and consider the wisdom of others, and try on their ideas as you might try on a new coat for size. Never buy a new coat just because it seems to fit; it must be practical, within your price range, and look good on you too. And above all, build your own foundation belief system from the wealth of your own personal life experience.

MS: It's possible to read that advice in different ways

"Experiment and learn..." can imply that OBE is something the life offers and should be explored and tested in order to learn.

"try on a new coat" can also imply the same thing.

markulous

I can understand where your coming from, TCL.  Projecting came relatively easy to me too and I'm kind of in the same boat you are in.  When I had my first OBE it opened up a whole new can of worms but it never really did anything else for me.  It just made me more confused so I forced myself to stop doing them.

Sure I'd talk to odd people/creatures but once the coolness factor of it wears off it seemed kind of pointless.

But you should probably listen to everyone else here.  I don't want to discourage you from doing this.