News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

dealing with preachers

Previous topic - Next topic

James S

Preachers and vacuum cleaner salesmen. The just can't take no for an answer. You start thinking self-defence in terms of a baseball bat!

In the mean time, I wonder how the management of Barnes & Noble feel about the idea of people being set upon by bible pushers in their stores? Street corners are bad enough, but a book store???

As to blocking it - an air of complete disinterest and allow yourself to be easily distracted by other things around you. It breaks their connection.

AstralTym

It was really hard to ignore the vibes coming off that guy - I tried acting disinterested and it only made matters worse lol
i'm thinking of picking up a copy of psychic self defense tho - if anything, this experience has taught me to be cautious, especially when traveling to regions unknown

Mirador

Energy is neutral, its what you do with it that turns it into negative or positive. The situation with the bible salesperson is one example. You have to be creative to turn a situation into something positive. For example, with these bible clutching people, I aske them to open the Book at a random page and point their finger at a random verse, and READ it. After they read it, I aske them to interpret it. That's when the fun (and positive) time begins.

Mirador

no_leaf_clover

if that happened to me, i'd be ticked to the point of getting offensive unless they were handing me cash or something. most people like that have never even questioned the bible or the church, or at least thats how things are around here. they just do as they are told without thinking for themselves.. church puppets. it's like they feel they have a divine mission, to spread something that is not allowed to be questioned but must be law. even the ones that get 'results' from the religion don't understand the feelings they get aren't something unique to christianity alone.

the part that pisses me off is how they take other people's religions as their own responsibilty. i dont know about anybody else, but i do as i will for a reason most of the time. ugh...
What is the sound of no leaves cloving?

Nerezza

Did he look like Henry Kane?

naturechick89

If that were to happen to me I think I would just pretend to pay attention and not really, I have had people do that type of thing happen to me at Borders, I've also had neighbors who are very religious, some people are almost forceful when they are trying to tell you there opinions, I went to my neighbors house once they don't no I'm wiccan and even without that knowledge, one of there youngest daughters harassed me about dedicating myself to god for over an hour I finally got fed up and made an excuse to leave. I'm wondering why people feel the need to do this so often....

Mustardseed

Ha sorry but it is a bit funny too. Maybe you should be brave and explore his point of view!! I am not saying that he did not intrude but that is his right isnt it? Is there not a freedom of speach in USA I believe so. If you feel someone is messing with you ask them to tinkle off. The first time someone talked to me about astral traveling my emotions were similar to yours and still at times I feel that way. It is like maybe they have a point. Often I would just sit back and rely on my previous beliefs and experience as it was more comfortable but I was curious and I knew it. I am a Christian myself and work in the astral as well and see nothing to hinder that the two meet. Unfortunately both sides seem to want to BE RIGHT. Like the story about a Christian and a Muslim  standing in Barnes and Noble with their hand tucked into their shirt like Napoleon the Muslim says I am Napoleon and the christian replies no I am to which the Muslis says why and he answers because God told me just then a "new age " person looking over those bookshelves pipes up "I never said any such thing"
Explore the feeling you had and find out for yourself. Just check it out . That is my advise, dont bash me now guys.!!Just my opinion.
Words.....there was a time when I believed in words!

goingslow

tell him you sold your soul to the devil and he doesn't appreciate you associating with their kind.  Then start mumbling things under your breath and laugh.

no_leaf_clover

mustard, there is a freedom of speech, but something like that is borderline. in todays society, you might be able to pull that off as harassment in a court if it was to offend you, etc. freedom of speech was set up so people could openly criticize the government, etc., without punishment.
What is the sound of no leaves cloving?

Man Of Jade

I found an effective solution to most Door to Door Preachers...
Step 1: Draw/Paint/Tape A giant Pentagram On a wall opposing the door.
Step 2: Next time they come, invite them in for some incense and some chanting.

naturechick89

LAMO! thsi is half the reason i  like this site so much everyone here(practically) can amnage to take a semi-seriosu question and reply with a comedic resposne...hehehe

Man Of Jade

hey, i was being serious....

...Mostly[^]

Randøm_

The only power one has over you is the one you give him/her. There are so many ways of simply brushing a salesperson off (regardless of what they're selling). 1) blatantly ignore them, 2) laugh hysterically when they attempt to make a valid point, 3)learn a foreign language well enough to master the sentence "I don't speak english", 4) roll your eyes.

Direct defiance is what they're trained to combat. Personally, I just pull out the pentacle (people that learn terms from Hollywood call it a pentagram) that hangs from around my neck and kiss it.

If I really am in a playful mood, I might start talking about how many graces the "Great Spider" has granted me and my divine discussions with this Arachnid god. (Of course, I don't worship spiders, but only I know this fact.)[:P]

There is no need for a self-defense in this case, just plain old behavioural ploys works like a charm. [}:)]

beavis

Ask the preacher if you can use one of his condoms on a corpse.

starfox

simply say "thank you" and keep walking
come on people...

Risu no Kairu

This "Great Spider" of which you speak... It doesn't happen to be Clock Spider, does it?

Clock Spider: http://members.lycos.co.uk/shaqfu/clock.html
I need a signature that isn't stupid. :/

beavis

Why would I thank a preacher? "NO" is better than "thank you"

Metal Ice

Beavis, check out clock spider.

Randøm_

Risu, there is no better choice of a spider to be the Great Spider than the one you linked to. [;)]

(in response to starfox's comment) As for being courteous to a preacher who took the liberty of misusing his freedom of speech to impose on me and my beliefs with the infection/conversion of his own .... my preference is a little harmless entertainment at such a person's expense. Having a faith based philosophy is completely fine, force-feeding it to others is not.
That's just my humble opinion.

beavis

Faith is for people who are too scared or lazy to learn the truth.

Mustardseed

Well that was a lot of very interesting responses . Let me just touch on a few points and ask a few questions! If someone does attempt to talk to any of you on the basis of being misguided Christian (as I assume you feel this guy was) he is then as best as he knows trying to help isnt he. I would assume that most folks like him is not doing what they do to spread misery and hate. However if any one answers such a person with hostility anger agression calling the cops etc etc how would that look on your "karmic CV" so to speak?. It seems to me that the hostility really conquers (and negs flurish)when someone instead of being patient and kind inspite of precieved intrusion, answers an eye for and eye and hostility for hostility. I read a story somewhere of a small kid who asked his mother "how does wars start" his mother said "well its when two contries cant get along and want more land and steal from each other" the father overhearing it got irritated and said "come on tell it to the kid as it is about politics and power " she replied "well i did " and soon a major bitter argument started up between them with shouting and name calling (anyone married here ;-) suddenly the little boy took each one in the hand and said "its ok mum and dad don't fight anymore now I know how wars start".

The Bible says somewhere "only by pride comes contention" and it it interesting that at the root of every bitter disagreement and hatefull deed and horrible crime lies PRIDE. So .... how to live without being ruled by our pride and ego is a important point. I would say that includes not taking offence when someone tries to convert you, be kind smile and straight talk instead, " listen it is very sweet of you but actually ...I am not interested even a little bit so I need to move on and look at some books but have a nice day". Now do not misunderstand me this is very hard to do and most of us attain only glimpses of the peace that comes from this non agression. I myself have been spending most of my adult life trying to tame my tounge and is still at it as you can see from many of my posts, however I say, shoot for the stars and you might hit the ceeling. This is the ideal in my world. Love loves the unlovely and casts a veil over countless sins and mistakes.

Regards David
Words.....there was a time when I believed in words!

Randøm_

I "feel" where Mustardseed is coming from and agree proper etiquette would be a good solution to a problem. However, perhaps out of my innate stubborness, the path to hell is paved with good intentions. The intention of the preacher may be to "help" but is doing the contrary. Pushing your beliefs on another isn't helpful, it is the epitome of selfishness and narrow-minded-ness. Furthermore, if someone where to harmlessly put such a person in his/her place, maybe there wouldn't have been the subsequent issue that made it to this thread, which obviously played on the poster's comfort.

I hate to say it, but pests are too plentiful in this world to spend time coddling each encountered. I use a mosquito analogy in my reactions to an obvious pest. You can slap it and it bothers no one again or you can trap and move it to another location. The latter leaves it free to bite you again as well as others, and even transmit some diseases (I tend to equate forced conversion as a disease), and breed more of its kind. May the Fates forgive me, but I opt to slap.

What I perceive as a folly in trying to handle such situations with reason is due to the fact that someone with an apparent "delusion of grandeur" is already beyond the grasp of sound reasoning (as all fanatics are), hence, would benefit to learn boundaries of respect through negative conditioning/results. After all, no former method seems to have worked in aiding this preacher to know the difference between a welcomed entrance and a blatant intrusion.

Metal Ice

Could not have said it better myself Random.
A simple "Sorry, but I worship the Great Clock Spider " should
suffice. A witty  but snappy retort is excellent indeed.

AstralTym

lol i just figured this post was going to get lost in the midst of the rest, but i came back more than a week later to see that my post was still in the top 10 - go team!  and thanks for all your advice - i managed to pick up a copy of psychic self defense and it's a really good read

Person

The Great Spider is real!  Doesnt anyone watch Southpark??  It's the Catholic God.
If you want them gone quick, I think someone's suggestion of kissing their pentagram would work the best.  But I'd advise having some fun with them anyway.  Yes, they are trying to help, so why not 'help' them back?  I was at IHOP once and a lady leaned over the booth to inform me that Jesus loves me.  She had a whole group with her, and my friends and I got into it for over 30mins.  She told me a story of being at a bar and seeing a lonely man, then sending the light of god at him and he burst out crying and later converted.  Instead of the expected response, I told her that she was manipulating energy and that was a Satanic practice.  This caught her off guard and she had no rebuttle, so she left soon after :)
For the peace approach, maybe send them a pulse of pure unconditional love, and ask them if they've ever felt it before.  If not, offer Bruce's book as your 'bible,' smile and walk away.
-Person