News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Night terrors..

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Hi Amed,

I also used to have night terrors when I was very young. In our house we had a long corridor that all the rooms came off. When all the doors were closed it was pitch black. My recurring dream was that I was at one end of this corridor and a dark, very evil figure was at the other end. Very surprisingly, he looked *exactly* like the Grim Reaper, but at that age I had never heard/saw of such a figure before (we lived in a very quiet desert town called Coober Pedy). In the dream, some force would start pushing me down the corridor towards him - I couldn't fight it and my whole body was often frozen stiff with terror. He would be grimmacing at me as I slowly got closer, until the panic was so extreme that I woke up in absolute terror at the last moment. My parents didn't know what to make of it. I don't know whether it was an OBE or a vivid dream. If it was an OBE, there is a possibility it was a neg or other entity residing in our house, but I just don't know. If it was a dream, I don't know exactly what my child subconscious was trying to say, or even how those images got into my mind in the first place. I can't say if any negativity started in me from that point, but I doubt it. It is on my list to revisit with CIR and meditation, to try and get to the bottom of it...

All the best.

amed_h

Thanks for the reply.

That is interestingly similar to mine.  Very strange that you manifested an image of something you had never even seen/heard before, and it turned out to be the correct vision.  Almost scary, but incredible nonetheless.

When you say you're going to meditate on it, what is your method?  What I mean is, how does one meditate on a specific subject troubling him/her?

Thanks.

amed

Joe

Hi Amed,

I haven't learnt CIR yet, but that would be the first thing I'm going to try. The second is to meditate on the dream in trance, try and relive it, but then with an adult perspective to boldly approach the fear aspect and see what exactly it is - talk to it, confront it, and erase the fear it held for me as a child. A lot of people speak about revisiting the "child in you" (ie, the painful memories formed as a child) and to provide emotional maturity, consolation and healing so those memories are no longer painful - this is what I am aiming to do.

All the best

astralc

amed_h

The definition of night terrors is that the child is generally unable to recall the nightmare afterwards, nor are they generally able to be awoken while in the middle of it. Although you both describe a nightmare, it might be a little different to the actual defined 'Night Terrors'.

Anyway, one of the causes of night terrors, from my experience working with kids and having kids, is that when the body gets overheated the head also overheats. This sets off halucinations which are almost impossible to stop.

As a parent I have two boys who used to do this when young until I found that they were really hot when they had them. I began to take their covers off as soon as they fell asleep putting them back on after about 30 minutes. They were deep sleepers, when they fell asleep they gave off huge amounts of heat, with the covers on they were basically inside an oven.

In the course of my profession I have spoken to many parents with similar problems. It seems to come with bed wetting, especialy with boys. Astrologically it is associated with a strong Pluto in their charts.

There are adults who do something similar. I worked with two older men who would strangle or punch their wives during the night and have no memory of it afterwards. Both were kicked out of their bed after their wives put up with this for some years and many bruises. I might add that there was absolutely no conscious reason for this, they loved and adored their partners. Even psychotherapy failed to find a cause or to resolve their problem.

It wasn't always attacking, sometimes they would yell abuse, other times they would physically dive for an imaginary ball and fall out of bed, etc. It was a puzzlement for them. So I tried the cold sleep bit, which worked up to a point, added a diet minus hot spices, that helped a bit too. Overall we were able to reduce the severity and the frequency of the 'attacks' but there were tmies when they didn't take their covers off and it would happen again.

Just thought I would add my experience here.

Astralc

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
www.shoal.net.au/~astralc
"The marriage of the ancient arts of astrology, taoism, tantra and the modern science of psychology."

PeacefulWarrior

I suffered extensively from night terror and not until I began researching OBE, etc. did I begin to put two and two together.  I remember having a reoccuring nightmare in which a feeling of chaos pervaded.  I also remember sensing a "dual" presence as well as not being able to distinguish real life from dream, ie. waking state from real time?

Suffice to say when I have children of my own I will be much morepreapred for if/when they experience this than my own parents were.  My parents always chalked things up to "bad dreams", how "bad" they cannot imagine.

fides quaerens intellectum
We shall not cease from our exploration, and at the end of all our exploring, we shall arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Elliot
---------------
fides quaerens intellectum

Grendel

I've suffered with Night Terrors my entire life.  (I'm almost 30 now.)  Most night terrors are suffered by children, but there are a small percentage of adults who have them.  Night Terrors are not nightmares.  When they study people who have night terrors, they realize that the people aren't dreaming, they aren't in REM sleep  (As they are during OBE's).  Most night terrors will be brief, and you won't even remember them.  Only a sleeping partner will tell you about them.  But for those of us who DO wake up with them, you can't describe how bad it is.

Now matter how afraid you have ever been in your life while you were awake or asleep, no matter how bad of a nightmare you've ever had, it's nothing compared to night terrors.  They are generally classified into two groups.  (Intrestingly enough, the content of night terrors is generally universal.)  A) Bugs/Snakes/Spiders/etc. all over you, or in your room, or some sort of thing.  Generally frightening and disheartening, but still not that bad, especially when compared to B) Death/Doom scenario.  I really can't explain how bad it is, but you don't see anything scary, you don't hear anything scary, you just FEEL it.  Sometimes you will think of it as being manifested in a being, but not always.  I won't bother trying to explain it.  You can't.

astralc : It sounds like maybe your friends actually had a different disorder, where the body fails to properly paralyze itself before going to REM sleep.  The result is, the brain is telling the body to do things, and the body's reacting to it.  Hence the variance in actions, diving for balls, yelling, etc.  Much different from night terrors.  Maybe they had both, who knows.

If anybody is interested in learning more about Night Terrors, research, people who have it, etc., they should check out NightTerrors.org.

amed_h

Night terrors, anyone experience them before?  

I'll relate some of my personal experiences in this area.  If anyone has any thoughts on it, I'd love to hear it, because it mystifies me to this day.

It happened for a couple of months.  In the middle of the night (I was about 8-10 years old at this time, perhaps 12?), I would awake my entire household by my screams.. I'd have a glazed look in my eye and a look of extreme terror would come over my face.. I would not even notice or see my parents/sister trying to calm me down.. I'd be thrashing around my bed for no apparent reason.

Now, I had never thought anything of it.. but recently I read a book about night terrors, and a possible theory was that it was an extreme form of natural OBE/Astral Projection.  As I read this book, it suddenly made sense.

While I was in this weird trance/scary state, I would always have the same reoccuring dream.  I would be in my basement, it would be pitch black and I'd be staring at this humanoid demon (the best way I can describe it).  It was the most horrible thing I've ever seen I think, I can somewhat remember it vividly to this day.  I remember a form of dialogue or communication, but I would only remember the scariest parts about it (mainly just the dead staring at each other).  
And what further pushes me to think it was an obe event:  I remember having the feeling of 'dual' presence.. meaning I remember seeing myself screaming and putting up a fuss at what seemed to be nothing AND I also remember being in my basement with the evil thing.

If it was an OBE, I'm just hoping that what I saw was a figment of my own fear.  I can't help but think it could also have been a real negative entity, because as I grew up, looking back (I'm 19 now), a lot of negativity seemed to eminate from myself.

It's long, and I apologize.. but, any thoughts?

Amed