News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

"The Nature of Personal Reality"

Previous topic - Next topic

LightBeam

I am re-reading again "The Nature of Personal Reality" by Jane Roberts who channeled the entity called Seth. Even though I have read it before and was blown away by the information presented, now by re-reading it very slowly and soaking up every word's meaning, I am discovering even more deeper knowledge about the way we create our reality. The very technicality of it. Not just thoughts become things, but in depths of how and why experiences occur on a personal and mass level. How did we set up where to be born before we materialized in flesh. What challenges we have preset and how can we alter our current situation. Seth gives many examples of false believes that materialized into negative events. He also gives instructions on how to do exercises, identify your false beliefs and make the negative events fall off when the beliefs are changed. It really goes to the core on how reality comes about. Also how should we be analyzing our negative experiences to identify what the actual lesson is behind, so once the lesson is realized and behavior/ belief changed, then the cycle is broken. I am absolutely loving it, applying all the exercises, but reading very slowly only one page per day and thinking on the info during my quiet time usually at night. I must say, I am seeing more clearly my own life events and I can tell now where some of the reoccurring challenges come from, as far back as originating from my childhood.  I am able to recognize them now as false beliefs, I let go of them and I can tell the difference ion my state of mind. Highly recommend it to everyone to read/re-read it slowly and analyze every sentence.
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."
Captain Jack Sparrow

EscapeVelocity

I read this book when I was about twenty and it was a bit tough and slow because of its intellectual structure and slightly rigid language. I knew at the time that I wasn't ready to fully appreciate all the information that it contained but it was excellent nonetheless and very concept-expanding.

So I am no doubt sure that LB is right, that with some more NP experience under your belt (me included), this is one of those books that deserves a second and even third read over the years. Seth's concepts and insights are cogently concentrated in paragraphs and even within single sentences, where as LB points out, a single page can provide enough ideas to reflect upon for a day or two. There are few books, and I'm talking NPR books, that reach this level of profundity and insight.

Another book in this category, but distinctly different in style is Kurt Leland's The Multidimensional Human. Resonance with certain books, especially at this level and depending on experience, is of course an incredibly personal thing and some people I've recommended this book to just didn't have the same reaction, which at first surprised me but eventually led me to that insight. So I will just say that it resonated with me enough that I read it eight times so far.

With that said, The Nature of Personal Reality is likely one of those books that those exploring NPR over decades will continue to find within new and valuable insights. I guess I'll have to pull it off the shelf and put it in my stack of books to read (again)...lol.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
                                                          -O. Wilde

LightBeam

I'll put Kurt Leland on my do read list, EV. But you are right, something needs to resonate with our own ideas in order to capture our attention. Seth's books teach one how to realize their own power, and to change their beliefs so they can apply that power to paint their lives per their liking. Beliefs though are not easy to change. Creative and constructive beliefs come from knowledge. I am lucky to have had the ability to test these theories in practice in the NP, so I have validated them and to me they are no longer theories, so my realization due to first hand knowledge have established unshakable constructive beliefs. And although I have read that book as I stated before and I know for a fact that all written there is true, when I read it again, my heart starts beating really fast out of excitement because it reinforces the reminder of exactly how powerful we are, but we can ONLY apply that power if we truly realize it. Realization comes from knowledge. So, we circle back to knowledge. And knowledge can start out as a theory, no worries if any of my readers have not validated it yet. If you find that any theory resonates with you, start trying validating it. It is truly fascinating. Like finding true magic where most people think it is just a fantasy too good to be true. But you discover it to be real. How extraordinarily exciting is that. Life starts making complete sense, even when you are in the midst of a storm, and you are hurting and grieving, you actually know as you lay in emotional or physical pain that there are reasons and you try your best to understand and analyze, instead of feeling like a victim.
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."
Captain Jack Sparrow

EscapeVelocity

Yes, the NP offers an extraordinary stage to play out our understanding of personal power/belief, the realizations and understandings.

That idea of circular energy/knowing becomes ever more evident as our experiences progress. I would add to 'realization comes from knowledge' that the circle can be expanded and maybe include a few more concepts which circle and influence one and another.- Knowledge results in new Theory which requires Intent/Action which results in Experience which results in Realization which results in new Knowledge...and that is a kind of carousel that you can jump onto or stumble onto at any point and suddenly you recognize the process; and this for me, has been the stunning teaching process of the NPR. Once it starts happening and you recognize the process, it does jump-start your heart! Lol.

And it does make one aware of the magic in its truest sense.

A similar and simpler idea is captured in an old Southern US, maybe Texas, saying-

Good Judgment comes from Experience, and a lot of that comes from bad Judgment.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
                                                          -O. Wilde

Alex77

Sorry to barge in, but felt the urge to ask, did anybody around here tried to channel Seth, just curious. I have a mixed bag of experience with channeling, some good some really bad, so I'm cautious before trying.

LightBeam

Quote from: Alex77 on June 20, 2021, 17:37:51
Sorry to barge in, but felt the urge to ask, did anybody around here tried to channel Seth, just curious. I have a mixed bag of experience with channeling, some good some really bad, so I'm cautious before trying.

I think channelings like with Seth are very unique experiences and usually the entity chooses the host. I would not purposely invite and let an entity to overtake my body like that, because of the unknown nature of the energy that might respond. I am fascinated though by these types of channelers, but not all are actually genuine. There is a lot of fraud out there in this field and when we read something, we should always be careful what theories are presented and are they going to lead to false beliefs that will create fears or hinder our progress.
When I meditate, I listen for the collective wisdom of the  multiverse. When I ask for power and knowledge, I ask directly the Source of Love (God).
Captain Jack Sparrow

Alex77

Quote from: LightBeam on June 20, 2021, 18:42:47
I would not purposely invite and let an entity to overtake my body like that, because of the unknown nature of the energy that might respond.
I think you are right, I always now shielding my body with energy after I have been possessed twice and I don't want another experience like that, so when I was trying to channel with someone I was always do it in the border of between awake and asleep, to have a choice of what would happen.
I am fascinated though by these types of channelers, but not all are actually genuine. There is a lot of fraud out there in this field and when we read something, we should always be careful what theories are presented and are they going to lead to false beliefs that will create fears or hinder our progress.
Right, that is why I'm reading everything with grain of salt and believe in only what clicks with me.
When I meditate, I listen for the collective wisdom of the  multiverse. When I ask for power and knowledge, I ask directly the Source of Love (God).
Did you perhaps have a post somewhere how you begin your session of asking, it will be very helpful.

LightBeam

Quote from: Alex77 on June 20, 2021, 19:13:26
Did you perhaps have a post somewhere how you begin your session of asking, it will be very helpful.

I don't have a special post on how I ask, but here it is the principal. My belief is that if you ask you shall receive in one form or another. Not necessarily in a form of a voice telling me the answer, but sometimes a stream of thoughts, feelings, emotions, all of a sudden just a sense of knowing. We have to learn to break the limitations of expecting to receive knowledge only form reading or listening. It is received in all kinds of forms and we need to learn to recognize them. We have to open our minds and pay attention to everything that is happening in our physical and non-physical life. Every little experience, every little emotion, every little thought, every little reaction.
When I need an answer about something that could be of physical or non-physical nature, maybe a relationship, work, health, etc question, am I doing the rights choice, what should I do, or what is the purpose of life, why there is so much pain, etc. I quiet my mind and I focus on one question at a time. I send the question to the source of all wisdom, to the collective universal wisdom and I open my mind to receive without judgement. I remove the filter of whatever beliefs I may have and I am willing to receive and answer that I many not necessarily like. Sometimes, my own mistakes are pointed out and I can not let my ego justify my wrong doings or my lack of knowledge. I must accept that I can learn only by making efforts to keep improving myself not only spiritually but as a physicals character. It is easier to seek spiritual knowledge than to make efforts to become the best version of your physical character. How many of us can make a list of things we can improve about ourselves? I bet every singe person has, yet we dont take actions, because it take efforts and we may get too comfortable in certain routine that no longer requires efforts. We are not entirely satisfied with our lives, yet we dont take the actions. I think this is perhaps one of the biggest lessons, to use life's tools and grow in character. 
So, back to asking. I ask and I open my mind to receive. I do not receive usually an answer ride away. I spend some time listening inward, but usually the answers for me appear as a stream of thoughts out of no where in a few days typically when I am driving, or doing some mindless work where I have enough focus on the physical task to not have other scattered thoughts, but my mind is at ease otherwise and thus opens a channel to receive info from the NP. Sometimes, I receive my answer during dreams with symbols, sometimes during APs, sometimes during interactions with others, reading something from a book, or watching a TV show or a movie with a context that hints me. Sometimes I start seeing repeating numbers, synchronicity, or happening to turn the radio on when certain songs a playing with phrases that hint me as well. I have learned to recognize these types of information and I am able to piece my answers.
Captain Jack Sparrow

Alex77

"Seriously :roll:" or at least that was the occasional response to me on a Lucid dreaming forums when I told them something similar. Thanks, at least now I know there is another person who thinks the same way as me on the matter. I felt discouraged by them at that time, but now I will try to ask again what questions I have. I didn't ask the God(the source) himself at that time, there was a Guide working with me or maybe he is still with me, waiting patiently my progression.

LightBeam

Quote from: Alex77 on June 20, 2021, 21:03:39
"Seriously :roll:" or at least that was the occasional response to me on a Lucid dreaming forums when I told them something similar. Thanks, at least now I know there is another person who thinks the same way as me on the matter. I felt discouraged by them at that time, but now I will try to ask again what questions I have. I didn't ask the God(the source) himself at that time, there was a Guide working with me or maybe he is still with me, waiting patiently my progression.

Here is a lesson for you. If you have a certain instinct, but you don't know if your instinct is right or wrong and you hear several types of different opinions. What can you do. Test it out. Test what works and what doesn't. Try your way and then try their way. This is the only way to receive actual knowledge. Knowledge is not something you read about or hear opinions. True knowledge comes from first hand experience. Opinions are ok for us to read as they are part of our interactions with one another, with nature with energy, with God, etc. Exchange of information is important, but until you validate something for yourself to be true, then it is just a theory.
Captain Jack Sparrow

Nameless

Alex77 I will back up LightBeam's excellent advice. Don't pigeonhole your experiences to someone else' ideas. Be open to knowledge/ answers in whatever way they present to you. And always make it clear that you only accept answers from the source (God).

Use what works for you and accept that others will have alternative means to accomplish their goals.
Remember, You came here to this physical earth to experience it in its physical form. NPR will always be there.

Alex77

The lesson was more in the line of "Don't post astral stuff on a forum full of skeptics", of course I wasn't aware their respective AP/OBE subForum was made just for the laugh at that time, they just plainly said I'm delusional :|, there weren't any advices or theories present. I wonder now what the difference would be if I had found this forum first years ago.

Quote from: Nameless on June 20, 2021, 23:15:03
And always make it clear that you only accept answers from the source (God).
I'm not sure about receiving answers only from God, because I encountered many spiritual guides on my journey.
In fact how you know the answers are coming directly from God itself, God have many familiars and messengers, together with the many ascended spirits and other mystical beings. It is very populated both in the astral and etheric plane after all.

Nameless

Quote from: Alex77 on June 21, 2021, 00:40:14
I'm not sure about receiving answers only from God, because I encountered many spiritual guides on my journey.
In fact how you know the answers are coming directly from God itself, God have many familiars and messengers, together with the many ascended spirits and other mystical beings. It is very populated both in the astral and etheric plane after all.
Think of God as including all things/beings good and they are here to guide us as individuals and we as the whole of humanity. Yes there are many who inhabit that realm and they all act at the behest of God/Universal Love (whatever name or term resonates best with you. I find it easier and most direct to simply acknowledge God.

I know many people have hangs-ups with the mention of God, I don't.
Remember, You came here to this physical earth to experience it in its physical form. NPR will always be there.

Alex77

Quote from: Nameless on June 21, 2021, 12:00:43
Yes there are many who inhabit that realm and they all act at the behest of God.
I'm not sure this is the place so you can answer me in any thread you see to fit, did you have any encounters with Angels during AP?
I hope one day when you understood what God really is, not to be the day to experience a hang-up.

Alex77

Quote from: Nameless on June 21, 2021, 12:00:43
Quote from: Alex77 on June 21, 2021, 15:56:07
I hope one day when you understood what God really is, not to be the day to experience a hang-up.
I think a misunderstanding has arisen, I may saying that but I also believe in God, we are in kind of a hang up at the moment, you can say our relationship is bit complicated.

I will share something personal with you, when I was super young and I was just able to spoke my first words, I started telling stories about God,
about the Angels, about Spirits, the Devil, about Demons, a Holy War between Heaven and Hell. How many kids would start talking about those kind of stuff when they first start talking, my parents were in a kind of shock! They even brought me to a Priest, he was shocked too by the way.

Nameless

Hi Alex, to answer your question, yes I have had np experiences with angels and other divine beings. One of those experiences was actually quite frightening yet incredibly awe inspiring.

Quote from: Alex77 on June 21, 2021, 00:40:14
The lesson was more in the line of "Don't post astral stuff on a forum full of skeptics", of course I wasn't aware their respective AP/OBE subForum was made just for the laugh at that time, they just plainly said I'm delusional :|, there weren't any advices or theories present. I wonder now what the difference would be if I had found this forum first years ago.
It's hard finding a good website geared to teach, counsel wisely and work towards the same goal. Many only inspire fear and wild fantasies. Admittedly those of us here are still seeking answers and information ourselves but we try to encourage different techniques and chains of thought. I also would have loved to have found this forum long before I did.

Quote from: Alex77 on June 21, 2021, 15:56:07
Yeah, me too (LOL)

Quote from: Alex77 on June 22, 2021, 14:09:26
I will share something personal with you, when I was super young and I was just able to spoke my first words, I started telling stories about God, about the Angels, about Spirits, the Devil, about Demons, a Holy War between Heaven and Hell. How many kids would start talking about those kind of stuff when they first start talking, my parents were in a kind of shock! They even brought me to a Priest, he was shocked too by the way.

I imagine they were indeed shocked. So how does a child know these things? That is the ultimate question. Many of us here have had very unique childhood experiences that could not be explained, or not explained well back then. We are still working on figuring these things out. I know I don't have all the answers but I feel I am getting closer. Closer at least to understanding my own experiences.

I think the biggest hurdle we have in our understanding is language. Words mean different things to different people unfortunately. And many words carry past weight which truly does us all no justice. An example is God. My God (always capitol G) is the same as the Universal Creative Force or Universal Love. What's above and beyond that is anybody's guess. I don't waste time thinking about that as it is clear to me that we just aren't capable of thinking that far out yet. BUT I can think about what is between me and thee always striving to be better.

Alex77

Quote from: Nameless on June 22, 2021, 17:16:29
Hi Alex, to answer your question, yes I have had np experiences with angels and other divine beings. One of those experiences was actually quite frightening yet incredibly awe inspiring.
I have two experience with angels, they are kind of personal so not sure about sharing them, but when I encountered them there were no fear on my side, they were sending only love and positive energy, actually during high AP or OBE I can sense energy, feel it like a six sense, so I can distinguish between the real thing or a trickster and I found a lot of tricksters out there.
Admittedly those of us here are still seeking answers and information ourselves but we try to encourage different techniques and chains of thought. I also would have loved to have found this forum long before I did.
Yeah, I'm constant answer seeker myself and love to experiment with other's tech and tech I'm creating myself.

I imagine they were indeed shocked. So how does a child know these things? That is the ultimate question.
For myself I think this is something from my previous live, I left two tips in my mind for when I get born: To not forget who I am. and To not forget what I am. But it was lost in the transaction, it seems someone erased my memories, but it is still enough to seek for the truth none the less.
Many of us here have had very unique childhood experiences that could not be explained, or not explained well back then. We are still working on figuring these things out. I know I don't have all the answers but I feel I am getting closer. Closer at least to understanding my own experiences.
I feel we are in a similar boat in that big Ocean called the Universe, trying to collect the puzzle piece by piece.
I think the biggest hurdle we have in our understanding is language. Words mean different things to different people unfortunately. And many words carry past weight which truly does us all no justice. An example is God. My God (always capitol G) is the same as the Universal Creative Force or Universal Love.
I see, you are not into religion, I'm Christian btw, but I'm trying not to talk about religion on forums like this.

Nameless

Quote from: Alex77 on June 22, 2021, 18:25:13
I see, you are not into religion, I'm Christian btw, but I'm trying not to talk about religion on forums like this.
I understand shying away. It seems if you want to stir up confusion just talk politics or religion. :-)

I see religion as something created by humanity, mostly as a form of control and that I don't care a thing for. However I am deeply spiritual and do have my own beliefs. Was raised Baptist for the most part with a few other teachings thrown in. Went through all the same stages most young people go through trying to figure out the universe, where we came from and the biggie, is God real.

Speaking in Christian terms does not bother me in the least. In my own perception spirituality should be included in our talks about np, oobe, phasing, visions, clairvoyance ect. Am I Christian? I plead the blood of Christ and am just coming into a greater understanding of just how our universe is ordered. However feel free to talk the way that suits you best. I am sure we can all figure it out.

Alex77

Quote from: Nameless on June 22, 2021, 17:16:29
Words mean different things to different people unfortunately. And many words carry past weight which truly does us all no justice. An example is God. My God (always capitol G) is the same as the Universal Creative Force or Universal Love.
You are right, God is not equal to God, this is not mathematics we are talking about after all, but in the end of the day there can be only one GOD^^ There is not such thing as "my god", but if you truly want to purely talk about AP and OBE, and not about religion, maybe you must refrain from involving the name of God in all of this. I'm not sure why started talking about religion even after I say don't want to talk about religion in the first place. Not bad feeling involved, but remember that you first started talking about your God:
QuoteAnd always make it clear that you only accept answers from the source (God)
That is why I'm always refering to spiritual guides and higher self when I receive teaching.

floriferous

I think if you divest the word God of its many associations and just get to its core then its highly relevant to OBEs AP etc... aren't all the people on this forum here to ultimately reach God/source/consciousness/pure awareness?

But to difuse this topic and redirect it slightly, I have a query on this topic...

If the people on this forum are in fact searching for the source/pure consciousness as a goal (and some of you might not be), then why are so many of us not placing attention on awareness/consciousness itself if that's our goal? But rather we are placing attention still on the distracting content of experience. I consider all non physical experiences still to be objective content. A more refined version than physical objects but still objects. Subtle objects if you will.

If pure consciousness is the goal then why are we being distracted by the shiny objects? Guides, angels, focus 27, the afterlife etc... - all still just content to distract you from the simple silence presence that you are.

Consciousness is everpresent but we are determined to ignore it even when we are seeking it

I think of the Adyashanti quote on the notion of all paths lead to god/truth... 'There's no such thing as a path to the truth. The truth is already here. Where are you going?"

Just a thought.

Nameless

I wish we had an applause button Floriferous. This is exactly the point I've tried to get across before but I keep getting tongue tied or finger twisted. Thank you for providing so much clarity!!!

Alex77

Quote from: floriferous on June 24, 2021, 13:25:23
I think if you divest the word God of its many associations and just get to its core then its highly relevant to OBEs AP etc... aren't all the people on this forum here to ultimately reach God/source/consciousness/pure awareness?
Not all of us, some have other goals!
But rather we are placing attention still on the distracting content of experience.
I'm sorry, did you just called all the experiences meaningless? Just a thought maybe you must stay in the Void, pure consciousness, no trivial stuff. I'm sure the more of you here didn't explore the Void enough, did you ever tried to stay longer in there, maintaining it and see what will happen, maybe ever expanding it.
I consider all non physical experiences still to be objective content. A more refined version than physical objects but still objects. Subtle objects if you will.
This is little opposite of me, physical event are also subjective experience, just on greater level.
If pure consciousness is the goal then why are we being distracted by the shiny objects? Guides, angels, focus 27, the afterlife etc... - all still just content to distract you from the simple silence presence that you are.
I'm sorry, but maybe you never found a guide or your higher self, guides are always providing me with crucial information about what I'm experiencing, most of my knowledge through the years is not from some books, but from those distracting guides!
I think of the Adyashanti quote on the notion of all paths lead to god/truth... 'There's no such thing as a path to the truth. The truth is already here. Where are you going?"

Just a thought.

If truth is already here then why you are still not Aware of it? Why you are searching for it?

LightBeam

Individualized spirit expressions have chosen to be exactly where they need to be to experience exactly what they need to experience in order to realize knowledge which leads to the truth. All of these components of the spirit journey are interconnected. If there was no need to seek, we wouldn't be here in the first place. Everything has a reason. All individual spirits never stop learning, and by extension the collective consciousness of All That Is (God) is in a constant state of becoming.  The truth of course is everywhere, but there is a need of realization of it, otherwise we are blind to it and as individual spirits we perceive it a a path, a series of experiences to realize the truth. Again, if we find ourselves in a character, oriented to a certain reality, then we have not found what we are looking for yet. In one way or another, in whichever manner we do it, we are seekers.
Captain Jack Sparrow

floriferous

Quote from: Alex77 on June 25, 2021, 05:01:40
Not all of us, some have other goals!

Well I believe if you read fully what I wrote I say some people may have other goals.

I'm sorry, did you just called all the experiences meaningless? Just a thought maybe you must stay in the Void, pure consciousness, no trivial stuff. I'm sure the more of you here didn't explore the Void enough, did you ever tried to stay longer in there, maintaining it and see what will happen, maybe ever expanding it.

No, I never said it was meaningless. That's twisting my words. I think experience is extremely valuable to see yourself in the contrast. But I think exclusively focusing on objects is an endless rabbit hole. You will struggle to find your way out.

I'm not sure why you would say i would think the void is meaningless. I talked only about experiences relating to objects. The only way to describe the void is the absence of objects hence its name. I feel like you either skim-read or mis-read my post because that's literally the opposite. In fact, your example backs up my stance.

All this talk is based on a shared definition of void as well and I'm not so sure we share it. Beyond body. Beyond mind. Beyond emotion. Just being. Becomes less about experience and more about the simple continuity of being.

This is little opposite of me, physical event are also subjective experience, just on greater level.

Not really what I meant. Not objectivity versus subjectivity. But simply 'objects'. I would consider a book to be an object. Also a thought. An emotion. Anything in a non physical experience is an object just more refined object. Anything you can accurately describe would be an object.

As opposed to say awareness. This has no perceivable objective qualities. That's what makes it the subject. That's why in Vedantic tradition they use the netti netti approach (not this, not this) to awareness -you can only say what it isn't because it has no object-like qualities. That is why I say non-physical experiences are still objects because the mind is still in play. No different that the waking state. Both are born of mind - Thought. And thought is an object. The Subject (pure awareness) is constantly in the background because we are too focused on the objects.

I'm sorry, but maybe you never found a guide or your higher self, guides are always providing me with crucial information about what I'm experiencing, most of my knowledge through the years is not from some books, but from those distracting guides!

Good for you. Been there. Done that. I personally would say that's feeding your spiritual ego.

You make a lot of presumptions about me considering this is our first interaction.

If truth is already here then why you are still not Aware of it? Why you are searching for it?

Because 'people are searching for it' is the exact reason you don't see it. It's the absence of searching (the absence of a path) which reveals it. It's like happiness. The very searching for it is the root of the unhappiness we feel.

This is why I'm questioning going after shiny objects when all that is required is to sit in being. No searching. No ridiculous conceptualizing and analyzing exactly like we are doing right now on a spiritual forum (what can I say - my ego was craving it this week).

floriferous

Quote from: LightBeam on June 25, 2021, 08:50:56
Individualized spirit expressions have chosen to be exactly where they need to be to experience exactly what they need to experience in order to realize knowledge which leads to the truth. All of these components of the spirit journey are interconnected. If there was no need to seek, we wouldn't be here in the first place. Everything has a reason. All individual spirits never stop learning, and by extension the collective consciousness of All That Is (God) is in a constant state of becoming.  The truth of course is everywhere, but there is a need of realization of it, otherwise we are blind to it and as individual spirits we perceive it a a path, a series of experiences to realize the truth. Again, if we find ourselves in a character, oriented to a certain reality, then we have not found what we are looking for yet. In one way or another, in whichever manner we do it, we are seekers.

Hey Lightbeam,

I agree there is a need to evolve from the perspective of the individual self. I'm just not so sure I agree on the path anymore.

There is a need of realization but I think we are blinding ourselves to it with the distractions. I go back to my original point. If pure awareness is the goal then why not place awareness only on awareness itself? What's with all the shiny stuff along the way? It's feeling increasing superfluous to me. It's extra bloating and I don't think it needs to be.

Our Being is simple. Why have we complicated it?