How to develop psychic abilities without visualizing

Previous topic - Next topic

ICameISawICame

I have something called hypophantasia, which means that I have extreme difficulty in visualizing, and that when I do, the image only lasts for a couple of seconds, is almost completely transparent, and will disappear if I try to do anything particularly complicated. For example, I can visualize a blue ball, but ask me to visualize a man holding a blue ball and it just falls apart.

I have seen visions (some of which have already come true) while completely sober and wide awake, but they are nearly impossible for me to control or trigger. I can also sometimes see the room around me with my eyes closed.

At any rate, I'm trying to discover effective psychic development techniques which can be done without visualization. Thanks in advance!

Lumaza

Quote from: ICameISawICame on January 29, 2022, 13:39:43
I have something called hypophantasia, which means that I have extreme difficulty in visualizing, and that when I do, the image only lasts for a couple of seconds, is almost completely transparent, and will disappear if I try to do anything particularly complicated. For example, I can visualize a blue ball, but ask me to visualize a man holding a blue ball and it just falls apart.

I have seen visions (some of which have already come true) while completely sober and wide awake, but they are nearly impossible for me to control or trigger. I can also sometimes see the room around me with my eyes closed.
I don't know about this Hypophantasia thing, but what you just described is how most people see things behind their closed eyes. Yes, it begins with an image of some sort.  The image then gets cloudy or fades away. But practice and patience will lead you to persevere. In the beginning most people lack any semblance of control as well. That too gets better with practice. Stay the course!

I have Trigeminal Neuralgia and it really spasms when I close my eyes to notice. The way I beat that was to learn how to turn off my physical eyes and use my "Mind's eye".

Check out the Stickies in this Forum here:
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_astral_consciousness-b30.0/

The Doorway technique you will find there shows you how to trick imagery into play. That occurs by the use of simple "mental associations" in combination with motion.
"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."  Nicolai Tesla

Lumaza

I can also sometimes see the room around me with my eyes closed.
Congratulations! That shows that you have already had a successful "OBE". At that point, you likely got shocked back into your physical focus again. It happens. The next time though, you need to control that excitement and allow your "curiosity" to take over. Just know though, that you are now in a state of "thought = action", so be careful of those first thoughts. This is when people usually find themselves in their first "fear test" or fear-based scenario. If you see the "Dweller of the Threshold", offer him a cookie. I hear he particularly enjoys the Chocolate Chip ones!  :wink:  :-)
"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."  Nicolai Tesla

omcasey

At any rate, I'm trying to discover effective psychic development techniques which can be done without visualization. Thanks in advance!

Everyone can visualize, we live in a light realm!.. but "seeing" may not be your strongest sense. Some people "see" with their fingertips, as an example, they are more tactile in origin. With some people it is smell, others hearing, etc.. Find out what your strongest senses are, to see how your Inner being communicates with you, and go from there. The next step is moving out of your sympathetic nervous system ( standard beta, fight/flight mode ) and into the parasympathetic ( to help bring in the alpha waves, rest mode ). To do this, slow down your breathing. Breathe in to the count of 8, breathe out to the sound of 8, long, deep, slow breaths. About 3 rounds of 12 breaths should do it. <-- ultimately the idea is to learn to live your life this way. Visualization will come far easier from here, regardless of the sense used to bring the data forward.

Retentions, breathing in and holding the breath will seriously begin to light your inner field. Only begin retentions once the breath is looong, anything less than an 8 second inhale/exhale means the work is best placed, for now, on the lengthening of the breath, rather than retention/suspension. Most people when they close their eyes, forget to "look". While you are working to the lengthen breath, remember to observe the inner field, - look. - look as though you are trying to see something up close, then far away. Observe all that ( you can that ) is occurring within your whole system. The inner process are fascinating. You want to get to that point in the practice where you are no longer forcing the 8 second or longer breath but to where it is now naturally occurring on its own. And you are simply riding the waves as a point of attention.

With me, communication often begins here, I actively, consciously come in on and participate in the communication. I may want to strengthen my visuals, and if so there is a game I like to play with my Inner being. You may be too young to remember this, but when I was young I used to play this game with cards called "Concentration". It is a matching pairs game. You lay out all the cards face down, 7 cards across, 8 rows down ( approximately ) in a large square pattern. You then turn a card over, and then a second card looking for the pair. I will play a version of this game with my Inner being. I ask that a visual be flashed at me, I then repeat what I see. This will help hold my conscious state of attention as I shift in. It generally takes only 3 of these visuals before I am fully in. Now I just have to survive the remainder of the transition into a scene.

I realize you have asked for techniques that go around, or bypass visualization,

I just felt this might be helpful in the mix.

GrumpyRabbit

If you have trouble visualizing but still want to work on OBE stuff, check out Robert Bruce's book Astral Dynamics (revised edition) - it's based on kinesthetic sensibility, not visualizations.

Also, another book The Open Mind by Dawna Markova is a great guide to figuring out which kind of modality your conscious/subconscious/unconscious are each best facilitated by. It's sorta of like different learning styles, but great for psychic/spiritual-minded people =)

E.g., I think mine is VAK. That is:

V - visual/beta (alert, paying attention)
A - auditory/alpha (relaxed, daydreaming, mind wandering)
K - kinestetic/theta (best to facilitate going into trance)

Hope one of these is helpful for you!

PerspectiveShift

Omcasey,
That sounds like a good practice. I've heard that the breath is important for relaxation and many other things. I've recently been having trouble getting visual feedback from the void, so I'll definitely start practicing this!!

I used to have no problem attaining the level of intense visuals as long as I kept up my daily meditations, but for some reason it hasn't returned to the way it was. Maybe this is why. Thanks for sharing!
Be the change you want to see in the world.