News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

JO WO! Anyone! MATH! AUGHGHGHGHH!

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

LOL. Just forget the lingo - go for the logic in it! You cannot understand the former without the latter - I mean, if you dont understand what the terms are doing, you wont be very good at holding their names right?
Is there anything in particular you want explained? My maths is a bit rusty but I'm going back into third year of mechanical engineering in a few weeks - we do a lot of maths, it really sucks [xx(]
Genius eh?? Lol shouldn't be a problem for you then!!!! [;)]

Rob
(!!!Formerly known as Inguma!!!)
You are the Alpha and the Omega. You are vaster than the universe and more powerful than a flaring supernova. You are truly incredible!!

Tenacious

Tisha-

Math is the most commonly misundestood subject in the school systems of America.  At least that is the conclusion that I have come up with.  All of my friends get lost in the subject, as do I.  When I first started algerbra, back in 7TH grade, I was told by a teacher that it doesn't matter why you have to do it, Just do it.  That made no frickin' sense to me.  So I tried to do my work by the book, then compared it to the teacher.  What I found is that Math is like a language.  You may be from the north and have a different accent, me from the south with my Hey y'all!  What my point is:  Math can be taught in different ways, but it is all the same.  Don't worry if you do not know "why" you are doing it.  It's there for a reason, and 1 day you will find out "why" you did it [:)]

I hope my boring story of math helped you!

BTW- if anyone knows pre-calc/trig sites, I really need help!!!

Thanks!

-Tenacious[:p]

-Tenacious[:P]

"The most interesting people in the world are those you do not understand" -Me

eeb

Hey Trish,
If you give me a concrete question I will see I can answer it. I had math in high school and later in university. Then I mean the type you´re going to deal with, algebra, wich I like the most! Solving formulas and getting the right solutions.

My strategy is to learn the theory and then get a reasonable mark. Most of what I learned I never use anymore. Normally about several weeks after the examination things start to sink away at an exponential rate.. But I f you ask something I am gladly willing to dig something up again and put it to use[:)]

Regards,
Eeb
Consistent desire and intent are the key to change

Tisha

Thanks everyone,

I did very well in logic, statistics, and algebra in college . . . but I was drunk. [:P]

The minute I'm faced with something incomprehensible I'll check in.  For good websites, try these, they seem good:

http://library.thinkquest.org  "Math for morons like us"
http://mcraefamily.com/MathHelp

Book:  Calc for the Clueless  (pre-calc) ISBN 0-07-043407-7
Tisha

jilola

Drop a line if you need help.
Just forget the terminology and concentrate of what's being said ad you're ok. Of all sciences math is quite possibly the easiest since all you have to know are the axioms and follow simple logic to derive everything else.

2cents & L&L
jouni

JoWo

Hello Tischa,

I would suggest that you contact your future employer and ask for more detailed information about your planned assignment.  You might want to hint that you have not applied your math knowledge for quite some time and that you want to brush up on it to prepare for your job.  Once you have this information, you can still decide whether you want to go through with this job.  No one would blame you for being honest.  

The kind of math you are talking about takes years to absorb.  Simple memorizing wouldn't do.  Yet, with your genius IQ plus some "astral help", you could probably pull it off.  You have all the right "connections" here [:X].  First priority is to overcome your fear.  One way to do this is to realize that even the worst possible outcome would not be the "end of the world".  Face this and know that you can handle it somehow.  This calms you down enough to use the psychic tools available to us.  

If you have experience with the pendulum, you can receive appropriate advice.  You may want to use Seth's "point of power", with which you can create the future that you desire.   If you are not familiar with it, you could blow $16.95 and read about it in my book Understanding the Grand Design: Spiritual Reality's Inner Logic (see my website www.quantum-metaphysics.com, and I don't say this to peddle my book [:)] ).  Who knows, perhaps your situation is a welcome challenge to overcome seeming insurmountable odds through the spiritual means that are now available to us.

I wish you lots of luck, Tischa!

Jo.

Tisha

Ah, JoWo, they know, they've known me for 15 years but hired me anyway! [:o)] I'm not leaving my company, just being reassigned to Engineering. I have a well-earned reputation for getting things done in my old department, and that's what they REALLY want.  They figure, the computers can do my math.  

I insist on understanding it all anyway!  And they expect me to take calculus and a whole mess of other courses to be certified for what I'll be doing.  I have 2 years to get it all done.

There's a plan to this, I know.  I have to face my fears, one by one, and get over them. Lately, I've been faced with a great deal of "numbers challenges," this one being the most recent!

Soooo, here I go!
Tisha

JoWo

That's quite a different story, Tisha.  Your first plea sounded like you were in deep trouble, but apparently you have matters well under control.  Still, good luck!

Jo

shaman

College means that it is at a degree higher than high school. You will need to go to the library of a University of some kind and look at the books they have there. There are some good books for undergraduate studies by the Schaum Series, Courant Hilbert tome I and II, etc... for example. You will need to know exactly what field of study. Math is very wide... Geometry, Algebra, Calculus, Differential and Integral Calculus (with possibly partial differential equations), Calculus of Variation, .... and if you are interested in Quantum physics you will have to learn probabilities too and some basic courses in PHysics in Thermodynamics, Statistical Physics, Classical Mechanics (with Lagrangian Dynamics and some calculus of variation), Electrodynamics, Optics, and eventually an introduction to QUantum physics course I, II and III...

Do you know what you are up to with Quantum physics? Math is probably enough to start with...

Good luck !

a quadratic equation just means an equation of degre 4 (quadra=4, like in spanish...). That means an equation where x is to the power 4 and lower (3,2,1 and 0). Binomial, means a polynomial of second degree, or if you prefer where you have only up to power 2.

There is no remedy for you but to go to the books. Make a search in an University library or in the deparmtent of Math somewhere. There is no magic, you need to study and practice. As for the teachers, of course don't expect them to explain things to you, it is up to you to make the effort I guess.

You can always post any question here and I'll do my best to answer you or to refer you to a textbook of some kind.

As to the "why" of things better are books like Courant and Hilbert, Schaum is better for practical aplications.

Good luck !

beavis

Tisha I think my problem is I don't understand the LANGUAGE. No one ever explained to me WTF a coefficient is!

y = 18*x + 5*z

5 and 18 are coefficients. They're just numbers that are multiplied by something that changes.

Or a Quadratic Equation,

y = 7*x^2 + 5*x + 19
is quadratic because the highest power of x is 2.
Quadratic is a dirty name because quad means 4, not 2.

or a Binomial Theorem!

I dont know that one either, but probably if you showed it to me I could solve it in my sleep. I've done math as high as algebra correctly while dreaming.

If you have any math questions, you can PM me.

Mustardseed

Dear Trish
Maybe you should consider a different path. It does not seem to me your heart is in it. Sounds more like you feel "this is too much work" why are you even doing it.I know it pays the bills but there are many ways to skin a cat. Think in alternative ways. Is one door closing leading you somewhere else. I might be very wrong here if I am delete me.
Regards Mustardsed
Words.....there was a time when I believed in words!

beavis

I might be very wrong here if I am delete me.

Dont you think murder is too extreme? Why not just delete the post?

jc84corvette

In school I been graphing equations for 3 years! Gets really annoying.

Stuff like:

2x=y-5x and 4x+5=y+5. You gotta solve for y, find the M, and the B. Finaly you gotta graph, find the solution, and c heck.

We do the same thing for circles.

beavis

Circles and lines are easy, but can you graph this?

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + w^2 = 100
w^999 = -z^999;

jc84corvette

What do I have to solve for Bevis? The y?

jc84corvette

Bevis I know this is easy but do it :)

Find the Axis of symentry for:

5^2+2x-6x

x^2+x+7x

beavis

jc84 What do I have to solve for Bevis? The y?

You can get rid of 1 of the 4 variables if you solve it right. Its a 3d graph.

Find the Axis of symentry for:
5^2+2x-6x

y = 25 - 4x
its a line, not a parabola, there is no axis of symmetry other than the line itsself or a perpendicular line, which is tilted so its not an axis.

x^2+x+7x

y = x^2 + 8x
This one isnt symmetrical anywhere either.

jc84corvette

beavis

that explains it! But I think you were testing me to see if I would make up a line of symmetry.

Ceriel N

Most of my math teacher just look at me oddly when I tell them that I don't 'understand' it, yet I'm fully capable of applying it. The thing is, that their meaning of 'understand' is the ability to apply it.

So far I've been able to determine that math is a method of describing a logical system. That means that an equation needs to be interprited so that you see the logic that it represents.

Take for instance a vary simple example:
f(x)= x^2

f(x) would increase by the amount x increases if it was not for ^2. What ^2 does is multiply the value it is applied to by itself, so in the case of negative values multiplied with each other they become positive. Thefeore the sides separated by the line x=0 are mirror images of each other and we view a parable.

It is a matter of knowing what the different parts of the expression mean and what their effects are. When you see the system the expression represents, then you will have understood it. Thus each expression requires a process of interpritation and understanding of itself.
Some expressions are too complex to easily be interprited and then we can write them in another way, without having understood them, to get another perspective. In order to do this we need to know what we can do with an expression, whar rules govern it etc. These rules are simply neccessities that exist to uphold logic. Very abstract. - Maybe this is what you'd want to study?

(On a personal note, I hate math.)
"We work in the dark - we do what we can- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
- Henry James

Adkha

Heeyyy don't worry....if you just come here to holland I will teach u math in 5 hours

LOL goodluck!
Psycho Paradoxical

lifebreath

quote:
x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + w^2 = 100
w^999 = -z^999

My math's a bit fuzzy (fuzzy logic?) from years of neglect, but at first glance

1) a family of spheres with radii = sqrt(100 - w^2) where r is bounded openly by zero and closed at 10.

2) rewrite w^999 = -z^999 as w^999 + z^999 = 0, then w=z=0 is the only solutin => a single point at zero.

If you are asking to graph the two taken together, it would seem to define a solid ball with a radius of 10. [caveat ... I could be wrong ...]

lifebreath

Whoops ... if taken together, then since w=0, the fist equation reduces to a spherical surface with radius 10.

beavis

Yes it was a trick question. W and Z dont affect the equation.

Tisha

I'm freaking out.

I'm pushing 40 and need to return to college to qualify for a job I've already been given (don't ask; they just trust me, bless their hearts!).  Basically it's decision science, algorhithms, etc. and I need to survive calculus.[:O]  I also want to survive math because I want to understand quantum physics.  Which is why I'm posting here! [:D]

I'm having flashbacks of 7th grade pre-calc. Despite the genius IQ (that's why they put me in pre-calc in 7th grade), I have math anxiety, and never made it through.  I think my problem is I don't understand the LANGUAGE.  No one ever explained to me WTF a coefficient is!  Or a Quadratic Equation, or a Binomial Theorem! Or any of the other terms, for that matter, they just said "This is a logarithm" and put a bunch of alphabet soup on the blackboard and expected us to understand it.  And CARE.

I need a book ABOUT math.  I already have "Calc for the Clueless," and downloaded "Math for Morons," but I'm not asking for a how-to.  I need a glossary and explanations, including the "why" of what I'm asked to do.  

Without context, it's all alphabet soup.  Know what I mean?  Any advice?

Tisha