Animals - killing - karma from the book Our Ultimate Reality

Previous topic - Next topic

WalkerInTheWoods

When I first got into vegetarianism I ordered the free vegetarian starter kit that PETA gives away. I just wanted to see what they had to say but mostly I wanted the recipes. They also send a DVD. After reading what the meat factories do to the animals I decided I did not want to watch the DVD. It is still unopened. But reading awhole book on it? That must be uplifting.

I could not raise animals without getting attached to them, and then turn around and kill them.

The co-worker that worked in the slaughter house, he said that the guy that did the killing of the hogs would never have to worry about serving on jury duty. They would not allow him to do so! That has to say something.
Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

Nay

Quote from: Selski on July 06, 2006, 15:41:10

That's a great smiley Nay - care to share where you got it from?  :smile:

Sarah

PS  I'm sure I've got something to say about this thread, but not tonight.

Totally didn't see this post, sorry Sarah!  :-)  Here ya go.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/

Hypernicus

Quote from: fallnangel77 on July 12, 2006, 13:07:13
When I first got into vegetarianism I ordered the free vegetarian starter kit that PETA gives away.

Thanks for the tip.

WalkerInTheWoods

Quote from: Hypernicus on July 12, 2006, 13:41:20
Thanks for the tip.

You are welcome. I think http://www.theveggietable.com/ is probably better if you just want recipes and info on becoming a vegetarian. Though both are free so checking them both out could not hurt.
Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

WalkerInTheWoods

Quote from: Hypernicus on July 05, 2006, 11:12:37
Maybe this reading
http://www.derrickjensen.org/backster.html
will change your view on plants :)

Thank you for sharing this. I got to read all of it and it is really interesting.

greatoutdoors

WITW,
You said
QuoteBut how can you be cruel and not really know it?
How about when you give a pet away, for whatever reason, or run one of those "free to good home" ads? I did it a time or two when I was younger and didn't know better. How do I know what kind of home that pet wound up in, or how they were treated? It still bothers me and I am not sure but that I may have to pay for it one day. I guess that kind of thing is "the big one" for me. I had power over the life of an innocent and basically blew it.

Another one on my conscience happened when I was around 12 or so. A friend and I found two bird dogs locked in a kennel in the woods by a creek bed. They were very skinny and one could not get up. Being young and totally stupid, we assumed they were sick. Of course, over the years I have figured out that some kind #%#-hole had just gone away and left them to starve. The kennel was locked and we couldn't figure out how to get the padlock off. We finally just left. I don't remember ever telling anyone about it, so the dogs undoubtedly died -- unpleasantly. Yes, it was ignorance, but it was also cruel. That one haunts me! (Stupid me -- sitting here crying while I write this.)

Nay,
What a shame your family chose to teach you such a hard lesson. Life will slap you around all on its own without the need to "teach reality". Reality bites everyone sooner or later. I also learned my first lesson in the food chain from chickens. An uncle had caught a chicken while I was nearby (about age five or six I think) and I ran over, thinking he caught it so I could pet it. Well, he rung its neck just as I got close. Not fun!

WalkerInTheWoods

Your intentions were to be helpful. Why worry over something you have no control? It is just as likely that the pet got a good home and was well cared for.

As for the dogs in the woods, you were young and did what you could with your understanding to try to help. You had good intentions. As for the outcome you never know what did happen. Someone may have come along and helped.

greatoutdoors

WalkerInTheWoods,

Thanks for your words, they help. You are right in a lot of respects. And thanks for the karma mark, too!  :-)

At least with my pets I hope I have learned what they were perhaps sent to teach. As for those poor bird-dogs, I still think I have an accounting to make. Again, you may well be right. It would be nice to think that they were rescued.

By the way, I like the change in your pen-name.  :-)

WalkerInTheWoods

Thank you, greatoutdoors. I think it fits me much better.  :-D

I have not studied the concept of karma very much, but to me it is not about defined marks that get placed on a clipboard for every move you make. It is more about how you are shaped and developed. The experiences clearly shaped you, making you more compassionate and wise. It seems to me that you have already accounted for it.