News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Mantra meditation and namajapa

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Faced Liar

Yeah, I do some mantra's maybe I can post some soon and you could do the same. Whats namajapa?

Jeffrey

Hi
Joe is referring to what we call jappa. Jappa is the counted repitition of a mantra, counting on a strand of 108 beads (well, actually 107 beads plus a GURU bead which one never goes past, just turns around and counts the other way). One will usually count off 108, or 1008, or 10008, like that. 10,008 takes a few hours! :)
Jeffrey

Joe

DFL, Jeffrey,

Actually I understand namajapa differently. Namajapa is a sanskrit term for "repetition of the Name of God". "Japa" alone means repetition. The principle is the same as mantra repetition, although it may or may not be counted, depending on the goals.

When namajapa is practiced with the thought of God in mind, not only the verbal sound of the Name as would happen for a mantra, it gradually builds a feeling of the presence of the God called on. It in many ways becomes a prayer when the presence of God is sought by constantly calling on the Name. This is a practice that spans both Eastern and Western religions - eg. Orthodox Christianity hsa the "Jesus Prayer" in many of it's forms.

When I practiced it, I had the usual difficulties that constant mantra repetition has (ie. retaining the thought no matter what one's doing) but after two days it became much easier and more pleasurable, and I soon noticed an occassional pleasant and intimate Presence in my mind of the Deity I was calling to. One of the best and simplest explanations of the methods and fruits of the practice is given by Sri Ramana Maharshi, a great Indian sage who lived this century.

I found it a very worthwhile practice, but unfortunately have very limited time to start up again now with a 70-hour week. But I have very high regard for the practice itself and plan to resume when the mental strength permits.

PS: Here's a link that says it well (if you can read past the Hindu world view): http://www.geocities.com/saibabaofshiridi/namajapa.htm

Edited by - joe on 10 April 2002  13:08:16

Joe

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone practices mantra meditation and/or namajapa. I started mantra meditation a little while ago as a concentration builder, but don't find it quite as effective as some other exercises (ie. easier to lose focus amongst repetitions, etc). I've tried continuous namejapa in the past, and found it extremely effective for improving the overall level of concentration throughout the day, and more importantly some very beneficial results in improving meditative and spiritual consciousness, awareness of God's presence, etc.

These days, life is so much busier, and I rarely have time for basic recollection after the day's demands sap the last of my strength Just wanted to see if other people have had good experiences with either technique, and if anyone can offer hints or advice on improving the practices.

Cheers.