News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Confused on Terminology

Previous topic - Next topic

FreeChile

I have read on some of these posts the terms

1.  master,
2.  higher-self,
3.  enlightened master,
4.  spirit,

Are there differences between these?  Also, concerning higher-self, is there even a concept of "self" or the "ego" at that moment?  This topic is related to Kundalini and enlightenment, of course.

James S

Hi FreeChile,

I've moved the topic here as your questions more directly relate to spiritual development than energy work.

Lets see if I can give you some info on these that may help you.....

1. Master: A Master is a highly spiritually evolved being that has incarnated at some time on this earth for the purpose of helping to provide humanity with spiritual understanding. Jesus, Krishna, Buddha are examples of Masters - beings who fully understand or KNOW exactly who and what they are.

2. Higher-self: This is who we are. This is our spirit self, our soul. The term is more frequently used to describe the part of ourselves that is connected to the Oneness of the Universe and all its knowledge & wisdom.

3. Enlightened Master: Not heard this one. I don't know what would distinguish a Master from an Enlightned Master as they are already about as enlightened as they can get.

4. Spirit: Non-corporeal - a being of pure life force energy. Spirit can refer to Discarnate souls - ghosts -  those which have left their physical host body, angels, beings of nature such as faeries, elementals, sprites, etc.

The difference between Self, as in spirit self or Soul, and ego can be very roughly defined as follows:
Spirit strives to evolve, to become one with the universe, achieve enlightenment, and experience what it is to be a spirit being in physical form. Ego, is the thought processes and reasonings of the physical body. Ego seeks to serve or gratify only the physical, and is not interested in evolving or in anything beyond the physical.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
James.

Tayesin

Well, I was going to get right into a reply... but James had said it all in a perfect way...again.  LOL  Man, you certainly have the knack of bringing massive concepts such as these down to simple definitions for everyone to understand.

And that's why I think James S is a mgnificent specimen of a Soul with growing awareness in the physical body.  How cool is this man...WAY !!!

:D

FreeChile

James S.  and Tayesin,

Thank you both for your replies.

Just looked up one of the definitions you offered up in the encyclopedia and it appears to have various meanings and functions depending on religion or philosophical doctrine.

For example, "Spirit-self" to the Christian has a totally different meaning from the one you provided.  In some Christian beliefs, this spirit is simply a life force, more like the chi, prana, or energy in other cultures.  Furthermore, it appears not to be eternal in some Christian circles.  It ceases when you die; and in some cases, it simply returns to God in the form of energy.

Tayesin

Hi FreeChile,
There is a lot of philosophical debate about Spirit and Soul, with many thinking they are different things.

Recently I chaired a discussion on this exact concept.  In the end, most of the participants came to the decision that they are different although they are both parts of the Source.

The people decided that Soul is the part that is Us, and when we join the physical body we attract the highest degree of Spirit to ourselves that we can, in order to grow further.

I don't necessarily agree with this idea, nor do I disagree with it, I have not come to my own conclusions about it, as yet.  Mainly because I see no great benefit from arguing semantics, when we could just be doing and experiencing in order to grow.

8)

Tyciol

*stares at Tayesin a bit*

Hmmm... as for the difference between 'Enlightened Master' and 'Master', how about for simplicity's sake we apply your 'Master' definition to 'Enlightened Master', and make a 'Master' simply someone who has mastered their psychic abilities, but still hasn't reached a sense of peace and informativeness to know what to do with himself and others in his existence.

redcatherine

Quote from: TayesinHi FreeChile,
There is a lot of philosophical debate about Spirit and Soul, with many thinking they are different things....The people decided that Soul is the part that is Us, and when we join the physical body we attract the highest degree of Spirit to ourselves that we can, in order to grow further.

8)
Jim and Jack Lindsay spiritual development instructors in Western Australia teach that the soul and spirit are different that the spirit has only one unique life and never comes again and may be accessed forever eternally as that identity such as Grandma Jones . But the soul contains the memory of Grandma Jones any other collective memories of her past lives and they become incarnate again taking all of these with them which can be accessed through the monad the group soul the higher self and akashic records but exist only as fragments in the consciousness of the unaware living human . I agree with this perspective and I hope that I have presented true to their teachings .
Love . Light  and Laughter
Aunt Clair