News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Help with meditation

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

If the position is comfortable in the beginning and uncomfortable at the end then it has changed. It was that way for me even though I couldn't see the differences. Tensions had increased and I was slouching to compensate. This caused more tension which caused more slouching. The alexander technique, which involves being watched by a trained observer, was of much benefit toward removing pain in my meditation.

distant bell

I think you should be happy that you can go for as loong as 45 minutes!
I know I usually canĀ“t go for more than 25-30 minutes.. but then again i sitt cross legede. But I guess just try to ignore the pain as loong as you can, it might dissapeare after a while again.

Felix

-- Love is the Law - Love under Will --

cainam_nazier

Try a different location.  IE a lazzy boy if you got one or something similar.  I rocking chair worked good for me for a while.  That was until I found the perfect one.  I have often found when I try to meditate at all in my bed I fall asleep with in 30 mins or so.  But I found that when I switched to a chair, and I swiched to many of them before I found the right one, I worked better.

David Rogalski
cainam_nazier@hotmail.com

servo-15

Thanks for the responses everybody.

Tom: I'm going to do some research on the alexander technique. I know that my body does not physically move, not even slightly, but it could be possible that tensions start to build in my muscles without me noticing.

cainam_nazier: I have a reclining chair wich I use, unfortunately not as good as a lazy boy, but I was able to meditate for an hour or so before suffering terrible cramps due to no circulation in my legs! Thats why I findd my bed meuch more preferable. Quite often after I concede to the need to move, I roll on my side and fall asleep! I think that's why lying on my back, propped up on pillows is good, because it is comfy, but I cannot sleep in that position.

Distant Bell: This may sound like a real ignorant question, but what is the advantage in crossing your legs?

Tom

As someone who likes the full lotus posture for meditation, I think I can answer this. Crossing the legs and the arms is supposed to help keep your energy in your body. That is why one book I read about astral projection says to never have anything crossed when trying to project. The full lotus posture is very stable. It is easy to sit up in the full lotus posture without falling over even as the body starts to relax. My problem is that when I sit to meditate and my back is straight, it feels like I'm going to fall backward. This causes me to lean forward. To keep from falling forward, I press my legs down. This cuts off circulation after twenty minutes or so. At thirty my legs are tingling and my feet start cooling and turning purple. This is twice as long as I could go before learning the alexander technique. My problem is in having not been able to finish my lessons.

Shirley

Hi Servo,

I am not sure how you are positioned with your legs on the bed as you are propped up with pillows. Are your legs extendedout or bent and drawn in?

Why not try sitting on a low wooden chair? In this position it, if you sit on your 'sitting bones' (the bones you will feel easily when sitting on a low wooden chair!) then your spine can lengthen easily and you have no need to sit cross legged or in any other difficult position. The body should find relative comfort in this position. If you are 'holding' yourself in this position, then you may be too stiff or rigid and will feel stiff and uncomfortable relatively quickly. Moving gently (and only slightly)  forward from the hips with the head leading and allowing your body to 'breathe' with the breath  will help you keep free and not rigid...

This is quite hard to describe. However, I am an Alexander teacher so if you have any questions please ask and I  shall endeavour to reply. I am not always able to check in but I shall do my best to answer you if I can and as soon as I can.

By the way, 45 minutes is pretty cool... Ken Wilbe aka Supreme (Integral Psychologist) by the way, meditates lying down on his back on his bed these days. After years of sitting up daily from (I think) 3am to 5am - he now lies down. The 'semi- supine' position is best for this as the spine is at its longest, ie., lying down with the knees drawn up to the ceiling with the feet on the floor/bed.

Warm wishes,
Shirley

Ashfo

You can buy a "anti-grav" chair that works on the same position as those astronauts use when taking off - its incredibly comfortable and seems to remove much of the feeling of gravity.. but costs a couple of grand US :)

I have sat in one and they are incredibly comfortable.

- Ashfo

servo-15

Hi there!
This question goes out to all of you who have some experience with deep meditations. I have reasonable experience of meditation and meditate quite regularly.

In my present circumstances my best position for meditating is lying on my bed using pillows to prop my back up to an angle of 30-40 degrees. My problem is that I have now started to practice deeper and longer meditation sessions. But usually after about 45 mins I feel that I cannot stay still and I have to change position. Trying to stay still becomes a torture which I cannot overcome! I do not feel an itch or any particular sensation, but just generally very uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any experience of this, of can anyone offer some useful advice? Thanx

-servo