News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Monk fasts to death

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewTheSinger

He refuses food and meditates till his life wears out. 

(Be careful, loud!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hiwtUTbRT8

Where does this silence come from?

The untold past of the Earth: http://hiddenhistory.awardspace.com

James S

A sad but classic case of misguided spirituality.

Though we are spirit beings, we are meant to be living in the physical world.
Or more to the point - mastering the physical world and living in it with abundance.

kiwibonga

Misguided? How do you know? Maybe he found out the secret of the universe and "won" while we're all here playing forever :p

I wouldn't try to find out though :p
OBE counter: Lost track! 35+ since 3/21/2006

Astir

...and I guess it's not entirely impossible that he may have suffered from anorexia. I'm not joking at all. Mortally he could have gone so far with the help of such a condition. I hope I don't rile anyone diagnosing a very spiritual man with a medical condition. You can be very spiritual, I think, and still suffer such things.

It's a shame.

psychonaut

he probably felt he had enough of the experiences this world had to offer and decided that's how he wanted to go. i don't get that part of hinduism though. i think most all world religions are in sync in some ways, as to what i believe, but none are completely true to what i believe. like here, the goal is to escape a never-ending life cycle of rebirth? well first i thought energy is neither created nor destroyed. (yes i know that's science but it may apply to life too.) maybe he is just truly more highly evolved as a soul than i am, but as the "I" that I am now, I would never want to not live, in the physical or afterlife. I just don't see who the goal is to escape and destroy life, like its a bad thing.
my brains are scrambled. my head's an egg.

Nostic

Quote from: psychonaut on April 27, 2007, 02:21:09
he probably felt he had enough of the experiences this world had to offer and decided that's how he wanted to go. i don't get that part of hinduism though. i think most all world religions are in sync in some ways, as to what i believe, but none are completely true to what i believe. like here, the goal is to escape a never-ending life cycle of rebirth? well first i thought energy is neither created nor destroyed. (yes i know that's science but it may apply to life too.) maybe he is just truly more highly evolved as a soul than i am, but as the "I" that I am now, I would never want to not live, in the physical or afterlife. I just don't see who the goal is to escape and destroy life, like its a bad thing.

It's a matter of freedom. That's what the genuine yogi wants. Being in the physical isn't bad per se. The problem is being FORCED to be here, and only here. There is no choice. The yogi wants the choice to come and go as he pleases. He doesn't want to be forced or compelled to come back into life because of some obligation that he doesn't even consciously remember. So he dedicates his life to the pursuit of freedom.

Astir

Wouldn't a yogi be more willing (than an average person) to accept why he is here with or without knowing the reason? I would tend to think that...

kailaurius

There are other ways to be free from perceived physical limitations like dependency on food, water, sleep, etc. without expiring the physical body in the process.  While certainly there's nothing wrong with their path to spiritual enlightenment as everyone has free will to choose their own path, but I'm sure most people including myself would rather free ourselves from certain physical bondages within the physical plane of existence and still maintain a healthy body.  The method by the man in the video shouldn't be confused with the life of an inediate (a person who lives a life without food).  Watching the video could be discouraging to anyone who is seriously trying to become an inediate without the deteriorating effects as shown in the video.  There are many people who are already successfully living a life without food, and have been doing it for many years.  Below are some links to books and methods for anyone who might be interested learning how to live without food.

Breatharian - At the bottom of this page is a link to download a text or pdf document with several different instructions or methods to becoming an inediate.
Solar Healing Center - Here Hira Ratan Manek teaches how to use the sun.  Unfortunately I cannot use this method myself because I live around too many trees, hehe.
Cosmic Internet Academy - This is my favorite site on this subject.  I highly recommend book 3 of the Living on Light in the divine nutritional series entitled "The Food of Gods".

melody

Hello Kailaurius,

I question Jasmuheen's ability not to eat and drink since she has never demonstrated under observation that indeed she does not need to eat nor drink. In fact she failed badly. See these sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmuheen
http://www.answers.com/topic/jasmuheen

Maybe her latest book The Foods of Goods does present a valid entraining system, but she has not yet conceded to be tested in order to validate it. In case this information is not correct and she was tested under clinical conditions and has proven the validity of her system, please provide us with a source.

On the other hand, Hira Ratan Manek from the Solar Healing Center has been tested several times under strict clinical observation, and indeed he did not eat for very long periods of time, though he drank water. He  is also making his system available for free, and at no time is he suggesting one should stop eating if feeling hunger.

vlazapax

If he really is doing for spiritual reasons, think of how much willpower that must take? I don't know anyone that would do that--my husband did a 21 day once, but he would never do it until he died! But there are cases of this in Japan's history and in Tibet. For those people it was not a sad case at all, but instead, they believed they were sacrificing themselves for the good of their community. Some believe that they can do more to help mankind in spirit than in body and, well, since all we really know of the universe is what we percieve, I for one can't say that they were foolish or wrong or what God told them. I give my right leg to have that much determination and willpower. Okay, well, not really, but I guess that's the point.  :-D

quester

Quote from: James S on March 30, 2007, 20:22:06
A sad but classic case of misguided spirituality.

Though we are spirit beings, we are meant to be living in the physical world.
Or more to the point - mastering the physical world and living in it with abundance.

Tell me James, who among us in this group would really be willing to give up the attachment to the reality we hold to achieve another (unsure to us). Of course, we were not really meant to be "masters" of any world, and the abundance you speak of, is the trap. The best you and I can say is we don't understand and he sacrifices too much. Gladly, it is not our path.

quester

I've thought about this particular question for several days deciding this one need a specific answer. Some questions are more immediate then others and this is one of them, don't you think. The answer to the question is really very obvious, it is what we're all about. We who are on the path.

The difficulty is knowledge, that which we seek. The answer here will also answer some of the other questions I have seen here in the forum about "why". Everything is not relative, but relates.

As with knowledge we carry baggage with us, of passion and desire, or whatever you want to call with us as we move on. I call it a former memory (of attachment). Attachments (memory) travel with us after death. Knowledge is minuscule compared to it. Attachment dominates.

With each return and we gain a little more knowledge (if we choose to), a piece to the puzzle if you will, tiny, not at all large but we return with our attachment. The slate we are born with is not entirely clean. We work here, or should, to release our desires and this is what knowledge entails to us. Make no mistake "here", we resist and fight to retain them, not to let them go. We think in term of now, but this whole thing is a process.

It takes a lifespan literally to learn, and many of them to learn. No person can learn everything in one lifetime. I know most don't want to hear this, but this is the way it works. 

You must determine if what I say is somewhat true by your own knowledge even if I am saying this in words you don't understand.

But on the more result oriented part of this. So this in the meat of it, that which is the reason related to the original question. The I got to know. Think of it this way, can one cheat the system. Can one jump ahead bypassing something. The answer I'm afraid is no and he will return right where he left off, if he decides to. There is no quick and easy fix or part to the path. Understand, when you return you will be the same person as before, but with changes. I do not mean that any person should judge this, there is nothing wrong with returning as a similar person, because you are not the same person. You have the ability to change or have the desire to remain similar.  As I have said before, accept more and you will gain more.

The thing is, I to have flaws, as do we all. If we do not recognize this, then how can we give good advice.

AndrewTheSinger

I've found this link about SALLEKHANA: http://www.jainworld.com/general/Elizabeth/Spanish/education/seniors/senles15.htm

It says it's not a sacrifice, but an act of acceptance and redemption when one is terminally ill.
Where does this silence come from?

The untold past of the Earth: http://hiddenhistory.awardspace.com