News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Realisation of the Day

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenris

I had to read it twice - but then it made perfect sence http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/images/icon_Smile.gif" border=0>

It reminds me of the sacrifice that is made when this path is walked.

My question is that by conquering our emotions and mind do we also have to abandon the superficial things in life- the clutter? My guess would be yes, ever seen a monastry with a TV and beer fridge?  

regards

David

Veni Vidi Vici

steveb

Greetings,

Fenris,         i'd say your guess of yes would be right, when you say abandon the superficial things of life, If youre meaning is" non attachment to",this true.
       I just wish the pillars of illusion were not complicated.

Inguma,        "Bath Abbey", i assume this is a chuch in Bath..?

Regards  Steve

kakkarot

but isn't it that the simple things in life are what truly bring happiness, fenris?

and what sacrifice are you talking about, fenris?

i don't think i have had to sacrifice anything; i have given up a lot of things that i don't care about, but i haven't had to give up anything that i do like.

inguma: so are you saying that if one weren't to "travel the path of the arrow", they can reach enlightenment without "passing between the pillars of illusion", but taking longer?

but: "to advance on the path becomes impossible unless you have conquered your emoions and mind". is not the path that you speak of, the path of conquering the emotions and the mind, as well as the spirit and the body? for the path does not consist of only one step that is taken immediately after one learns to control themself, or does it? (you didn't really specify which path, unless you mean the path to enlightenment)

~kakkarot

Secret of Secrets

Rob

Hi!
Thanks for your responses - been a while replying, have had exams (gggrrr)
I think that the small things in life, like sitting and watching the football with a beer in one hand (england beat argentina woohoo!!), don't have to be given up. I mean, just look at RB, he still manages to have "a" drink every so often and his ascent has been straight up the middle pillar. But, those things do build dependance when done in excess. I don't know about sacrifice, as this implies giving up things you like. For me, it is more doing other things I prefer, although I suppose sacrificing things which get in the way....well, every persons choice how much they want to put into spiritual growth.

kakkarot: Yes you can progress up the left or right hand path (severity/mercy), but it takes longer. The pillars of illusion is through yesod, but you could go left through hod (sphere of mind) or right through netzach (emotion).

quote:
but: "to advance on the path becomes impossible unless you have conquered your emoions and mind". is not the path that you speak of, the path of conquering the emotions and the mind, as well as the spirit and the body? for the path does not consist of only one step that is taken immediately after one learns to control themself, or does it? (you didn't really specify which path, unless you mean the path to enlightenment)

OK I am not entirely sure I understand the qestion but will have a go. What I have been thinking is that if you conquer one thing, like mind or emotion, that seems to emanate into the other areas, like body and spirit as you say.
The path, yeah I mean to ascention, enlightenment. I think that learning to control yourself in some way is absolutely essential, but there are quite a few ways of going about this.

Bath abbey - yeah like a massive cathedral, but an abbey is/was for monks primarily. Very impressive place, and come with a noticeable shift in the atmosphere as you walk in.

(!!!Formerly known as Inguma!!!)
You are the Alpha and the Omega. You are vaster than the universe and more powerful than a flaring supernova. You are truly incredible!!

Fenris

Hi

Kakkarot:
"but isn't it that the simple things in life are what truly bring happiness, fenris?"

A very individual question open to a lot of interpretation - what is a simple thing. I relate 'simple things' to objects and items of convenience, they bring temporary happiness- yes, but not peace. I would say that true happiness would be love. There seems to come a point where we have to puch aside the material items of life (oh gosh am I starting the materialist debate again [img]http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/images/icon_Smile.gif[/img )] to focus more on spirtual evolution. Again a person concept open to individual perception.

The sacrifice I refer to can be broken down to the natural urge to conform. The point at which one makes the dicission that spiritual progression is the number one piority in life and puts it before all else is in my opinion a sacrifice. I did not mean that this is unplessant if your heart is truely where you think it is (perhaps you and I differ in our idea of what is a  sacrifice, each to his own) but it is sacrificing some of the simpler joys of life, a change from habit.

regards

Fenris

Veni Vidi Vici

cainam_nazier

I think of sacraficing in a slightly different way.  Like Fenis mentioned more of a changing of habits.  It is not so much you just go well this is not helping me do this and stoping.  It becomes too dificult to let go and becomes a sacrafice.  But if you instead look at some thing you have or do and ask, "Why do I do this?"  "Why do I need this?"  "What is it's meaning or purpose to me?"  "Do I need it or do I enjoy it?"  "If I enjoy it  then why?"  "Am I using it to replace something else?"  And so on.  People would find it much easier to let go of a lot of things if they asked these kinds of questions about things.  When doing so you begin to realize that certain things that you cling dearly to hold no value and so you can discard them with out pain and with out sacrafice.  But unfortunately you can not do this until you are ready, some one can not do it for you, ie. ask you those questions.  People tend to get mad when some one does that.
   So it becomes not so much a sacrafice but a realization.

David Rogalski
cainam_nazier@hotmail.com
I am he who walks in the light but is masked by the shadows.

Fenris

cainam nazier

I have used similar self analysing tecniques for other things (for eg finding why I fear something) but the idea of using them in this context makes a lot of sence. This is a good example of how it is important to be true to yourself above all else, because you cant self analyse if you lie to yourself. Good post http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/images/icon_Smile.gif" border=0>

regards

David

Veni Vidi Vici

cainam_nazier

It was unfortunately not my own idea.  I watched a friend do this very same thing and with in only but a couple of short weeks changed her life around 180 deg.  We had gone to a bar to shoot some pool and I was getting drinks.  "Coke for me and what for you?"  I asked.  She wanted a soda.  Which at the time was different.  When I came back I asked why not and did not really expect the answer I got.  She told me that she realized that for a long time she was jumping from habbit to habbit, she was searching.  At the time she thought that it was what she wanted to do but then shortly after she met her current boyfriend she realized that the need was not there.  She looked at it.  It was not because he did not do those things but for the first time in a long time she was happy.  She then said that she had thought about it for a long time and asked herself why she was doing it before, even when at times she thought she was happy.  She said she realized that she was not happy unless she was messed up, it was only then that she could forget about her life, and her unhappyness.  She just sorta woke up and stopped.
   This conversation got me thinking about all of this and all things we as humans do and the things that I do.  This struck me as being so true, so simple, that it could be applied to everything.  It has become so easy to let so many things that I do not need, do not want, just slip away and lie there never to be picked up again.  The number of burdens we carry with us is so immense that at times it could drive a person mad.  But only if they allow it to hapen.   When you realize how easy it is to drop emotions, feelings, possesions, thoughts, it becomes easier to just do what you wanted to do before but were unable for some unknown reason.

David Rogalski
cainam_nazier@hotmail.com
I am he who walks in the light but is masked by the shadows.

distant bell

To strong atachment to things probably can be bad, but then again- if one dosnĀ“t alwo oneselfe to be human why inacrnate? Why do you think we leav go down into this world in the first place if  not to be human?

-- Love is the Law - Love under Will --

Rob

OK this one came to me while I was sitting in Bath Abbey, it had been brewing in my mind for a good few months, lets see what y'all make of it....

When you put stock in things being good you necessarily put stock in the bad, and vice versa, if only due to a lack of one of the polarities. If you disconnect from maya, which is the causative factor, the base swing of the pendulum cannot touch you and the light inside can grow unaffected. But to disconnect from the physical becomes impossible when the lower self still holds active flaws. Therefore to advance on the path becomes impossible unless you have conquered your emoions and mind (netzach/hod?). Feelings and thoughts arise from the subconscious mind (yesod), which is why to travel the path of the arrow requires passing between the pillars of illusion.
Also, to conquer the mind releases the cause of emotion, and to conquer emotion allows the mind to work unfettered.

Now the symbology, I won't go into the kabalistic stuff:
Maya - the physical, the world of illusion.
Swing of the pendulum - eg you feel full of energy one day, then all relaxewd (integrating) the next. Affected by astrological influences too etc.
Path of the arrow - the quickest route to enlightenment, straight up the middle pillar of the tree of life.
Pillars of Illusion - ooh hard one, understanding a world which itself is unreal and inexplicable. What you comprehend but....don't. Close to insanity.

Any comments??

(!!!Formerly known as Inguma!!!)
You are the Alpha and the Omega. You are vaster than the universe and more powerful than a flaring supernova. You are truly incredible!!