News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Which "religion" gives the most spiritual growness

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypernicus

The Eastern philosophies are in harmony with the quantum physics. So that means they are right. But if I want to follow the path back to my origin as described in Our Ultimate Reality book, which I am halfway through, what more books do I want do read? Will Hindusim, Buddhism and Taoism give me answers or does The Astral Pulse have all the advice gathered from around the world and put together in books for man to seek their path through?

jalef

neither books nor forums will give you definite answers. they can point facts out and make you aware of things you werent aware before but in the end it is your path and you are the only one to go it!
The truely wise man knows that he knows nothing!
  - Confuzius

Hypernicus

I just watched "Krishnamurti & David Bohm - the future of humanity" and they seem to know a little that I want to check out. Maybe Krishnamurti has some good books that all the 3 "religions" mentioned above has combined.

jilola

QuoteThe Eastern philosophies are in harmony with the quantum physics. So that means they are right.
How does the former follow from the latter?
We don't know quantum physics is correct, only that it seems to give predictions in accordance with experiments.

The truths are not out there, they are in you. Always have been and always will be. Pointers to that can be found in lliterature regardless of the outward expression of a religion or a set of beliefs/philosophies.

I agree with Jalef.
If you try to find a definitive answer in books your search will be endless.

2cents & L&L
Jouni

Hypernicus

Since you ignore "Krishnamurti & David Bohm - the future of humanity" or any of those two the conclusion would be that you don't know more than me.

Nay

All religions suck... :shock:

I'll just take the ten commandments and that's it.  I mean really.. those are some good rules to follow, don't cha think?

kiwibonga

Monroe's books have become the basis for my "religion" if you'll call it that...

Learn to project, meet your higher self, and be enlightened! It won't happen overnight, but it doesn't get any easier than this. (Although... in my opinion, it's better to wait until death to decide what to do next... But that's just my view on things.)
OBE counter: Lost track! 35+ since 3/21/2006

jilola

QuoteSince you ignore "Krishnamurti & David Bohm - the future of humanity" or any of those two the conclusion would be that you don't know more than me.

Well, I didn't claim to do so  :smile:
I do maintain that quantum physics is far from proven correct beyond doubt as the term" true" implies. It is a theory that seems to give accurate predictions. But so did Newtonian physics before and that was found sorely lacking in many instances  researchers have later stumbled on.

That the buddhist cosmology and quantum physics agree to a great extent is a sign that they have a lot in common and may thus be taken to be closer to the real explanation of the reality than many if not most other cosmologies.
But having much in common doesn't make either correct by definition, only supported in their predicitons and explanations.

2cents & L&L
Jouni

Stookie

I've read and studied a LOT of philosophies, religions, cultures, etc. I apply a little of everything from Christianity to Taoism to Punk Rock. Whatever flows with my own life I use and discard the rest. I feel that learning some of these things helped push me in the right direction, but none of it's worth a darn without experience. I spent years learning, but experience was much more difficult to come by.

I really enjoyed the conversations between Krishnamurti and David Bohm.

James S

I'll go along with Stookie's reply. I definitely feel the same way.

from my experience, religions tend to hinder spiritual growth more than they promote it. They tend to want you to follow their sets of rules and guidelines rather than allowing the free-flowing "soul level" guidance that helps you find what works best  for you as and individual.

Most religions, if not all, have at their core some wonderful spiritual guidance. Its just a matter of sorting out the spiritual wisdom from the human dogma, which all of the religions have, even the most bening eastern philosophies.

As to finding what works, go with your intuition. Trust your own "gut" feelings as to what's right for you, and don't let the head get in the way too much. :)

Blessings,
James.

paker7

Quote from: HypernicusWhich "religion" gives the most spiritual growness

Zen Buddhism + Yoga
Both are spiritual practices not religions.

So it seems that IMHO religion is not the best path to enlightement.

Commoners believe - winners KNOW !

Novice

I would have to 'ditto' Stookie and James.

I have studied the bible, gnostic texts, buddhist philosophy, the tao te ching, the bagavad gita and numerous other books on theosophy, magic, alchemy, yoga, and so on. I have also read a number of books by Krishnamurti, but I haven't seen the dialogue you referenced. I like a lot of what he says, but I think there are additional insights from other texts/authors that compliment what he says.

I am very much drawn to eastern philosophy, but I have yet to study anything with which I would agree 100%, although the tao te ching comes awfully close. None of them fully satisfies my questions/desires, if that makes sense. And organized religion simply does nothing whatsoever for me.

My personal belief is that you don't need a 'religion' to feel fufilled or like you are 'on the right path'. But if you feel you need a religion, then I would suggest reading and studying the religious texts of whichever faiths you are curious about. Talk to some of its followers and ask questions.
Reality is what you perceive it to be.

jub jub

Quote from: NayAll religions suck... :shock:

I'll just take the ten commandments and that's it.  I mean really.. those are some good rules to follow, don't cha think?

:Iagree:  :Iagree:
"A moral being is one who is capable of reflecting on his past actions and their motives - approving of some and disapproving of others"  -  Charles Darwin

Beth

Strange thing about religion--it is not very 'spiritual' at all.

In my opinion:

Seeking God is 'spirituality'.
Thinking that you have already found God is 'religion'.

Spirituality is a journey to understand God.
Religion is a journey to understand humanity.

~Beth
Become a Critical Thinker!
"Ignorance is the greatest of all sins."
                   --Origen of Alexandria

thefastcook

Some of the Eastern schools of spirituality have some good stuff going for them - some of them are as full of dogma and blind faith as the next snake oil salesman.  I've always got time for a religion or spirituality that shows methods to experience spirituality for oneself.  A lot of the Taoist stuff is worthwhile in my opinion because you can try it out - but I've also seen some very dodgy and dangerous practices here.  Some of the Gnostics seem pretty good as far as sharing knowledge for self-inquiry/astral travel etc.  Don't know about at the higher levels.  I'm generally okay with any spirituality that is cool on sharing knowledge and doesn't try to guilt trip me.  Krishnamurti was pretty cool, but Osho was cooler ;)

gdo

which religion speaks to you at this time?

Alaskans

Beth, you stole the words out of my mouth 80

Religion was created by god to manage a world of primitive savages, it tells you there is a god. However, with spiritual enlightenment you can meet him.
The main problem I have with religions, like Christianity, is the bible has gone through the apostles, who were told things they didnt understand. Then thier writings were put through 2000 years of greed evil and ignorance, popped out the other side a whole new story, and people take it word for word. I prefere to get the truth from the original source. Religion is faith, spirituality is knowledge.
Every single person is an enigma of wonder waiting patiently to be realized.

Scoff if you want; soon we will be leading the race to new heights and you will wish you had followed us in our search for truth.

gdo

Each person must start, from where they are.  All of us live in a particular culture that has religion/s as part of that culture.                                                

Grace and Patience are key to finding the way from where you are to where you want to be.

WalkerInTheWoods

The "higher truths" cannot be understood with the "logical thinking mind". This is something that truly has to be experienced. I have had experiences that my "physical thinking mind" cannot begin to understand. Yet I experienced them and a deeper part of me understands. This in lies the problem with religion. Someone at some point had a spiritual experience. This person then tried to express these experiences to people that could not possibly fully understand simply because they had no reference to understand. They only had the "thinking mind" to try to comprehend, which cannot. To me, all religions hold some truth, but no religion is all truth. Truth is something to be experienced. It is within you. So study those religions and philosophies you find of interest, but strive for experience. Religion is merely a stepping stone to help you get started, not something to cling to.
Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

gdo

"The "higher truths" cannot be understood with the "logical thinking mind"."

This is one persons experience and not a univeral one.  It may apply to some people but not to every person.  

Not every person has the capacity or ability that another might have.

All religions are tribal and cultural and they do have grains of truth in them.  Some are vague shadows of what they once were.  But they are still tribal, which is OK.  

Start where YOU are.  Spiritual and physical are the same but are same just not perceived that way.  

Start with what is within you and go from there.

What do you want?

Telos

WalkerInTheWoods

Quote from: TelosReligion is for poor people.

LOL Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw that said something like Religion is what keeps the poor from rising up and killing the rich.
Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

gdo

Food, air and water are also for 'poor' people.  

Does the above posted  comment supposed to be a slam on religion or poor people?

Where is the cutoff point?  

Does that also mean the 'rich' people are not religious?

Perhaps it would be good to re-read the question raised by the person who started the thread to get back on topic.

When the time comes that the current world religions have become synonymous with the buggy whip, they to will be no longer used.

Telos

I appreciate the inquiry, gdo. How about I rephrase the above comment?

Religion is for people who are poor in spirit.