any Muslim members

Previous topic - Next topic

Muslimfromcalifornia

any muslim members of astralpulse here?

personalreality

that's a very descriptive nickname.

do you find that you often define yourself by your religious affiliation?

i'm not muslim though.  i don't know what the rate of muslim members is, it doesn't come up often.  it seems that many members are of "alternative" faiths.  you know, things like paganism, undefined spirituality, agnostic, atheist, etc.

there are some christian members and i would assume that there are at least some muslim members.
be awesome.

Stillwater

There are indeed... I want to say they probably number between 10 and 50- at least the ones I have seen openly discuss their faith. Islam by many accounts is probably the largest religious group now, so it is very hard for there not to be.
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

Volgerle

Quote from: Stillwater on November 11, 2010, 14:01:08Islam by many accounts is probably the largest religious group now, so it is very hard for there not to be.
What do you base this on? If you see Christianity as split up by many groups, sects, fractions and movements, so as not to count them as one anymore, then we should do the same with Islam.
Islam is not the same Islam everywhere, there are lots of (sometimes even fiercely opposed) fractions, sects and groups too. It's just that we in the West do not recognise this anymore.
(Btw, this might also apply to Hinduism, which is actually historically coming from a lot of originally different religions with not so much in common as it seems at a first glance, they are just subsumed under one name, at least that is what I heard recently, but I might be wrong here.).

personalreality

Hinduism is a word that describes union with the divine.  In India you see distinctions based on the gods and goddesses that people choose to worship.  However, if you speak to Hindus they will tell you that to a Hindu, everyone is Hindu.  You can call yourself a Christian, Muslim, Wiccan, Jew, Zoroastrian, Sikh, Buddhist, Taoist, whatever, doesn't matter, you're a Hindu. 
be awesome.

AmbientSound

That is an interesting way of interpreting spirituality, to call everyone a member of one's religion even if they do not identify themselves as such. I am sure there is a reason for it that I don't fully understand, but I would never think to do that.

Stillwater

QuoteWhat do you base this on? If you see Christianity as split up by many groups, sects, fractions and movements, so as not to count them as one anymore, then we should do the same with Islam.

Yes, this is the exact fact I was alluding to when I used the "by many accounts" modifier. The group that made this estimation was counting Christianity as being separate sects, the largest of which being Catholicism, and Islam as being one group. I do realize there are incredible differences between Islamic sects. But it is also interesting to note that the reckoning of these differences is interpretted differently by outsiders and many Muslims.

For instance, I asked an Iraqi I know if the mosque he attended was largely Sunni or Shiite, and his response was that the difference between these two major groups is vastly overplayed, and most Iraqis consider them the same for all intents and purposes. I don't know how credible this account was, since I perceive great violence to still occur as a result as of the separation of these groups, but it is something to think about.

And I definitely agree that this idea goes for Hinduism pretty much above any of the others that are lumped together... the many faiths and belief systems grouped together as "Hinduism" are vastly different... I would say the western equivalent of using the heading of Hinduism for all of these would be calling Judaism,Christianity, Islam, and the Gnostic faith by the single name "Abrahamism".

I mean, some forms of Hinduism believe directly in polythestic gods that can be invoked into idols, others are more "monotheistic", expressing the unity of the apparent many in Brahman Atman, and still others feel that idea of the gods and their stories are metaphors for the true reality, not meant to be taken literally in any way. There are some sects that are focused on ritual devotion to deities, and others, like the Upanishadic traditions, which are more concerned with the relationship of the individual to the cosmic essence, and are more mendicant or meditative in nature. I mean, you have Hare Krishna types over here, samanas and yogis there, and some people in a village with a Ganesha idol over in that corner. They don't see things the same way at all.

There are very few things that you could say about Hinduism that would be true of all these people at once.
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

personalreality

Above all else they recognize all of reality as Brahman.  Call it what you will, worship whatever incarnation you please, but the bottom line is that we are all Brahman.  Brahman is Atman and Atman is Brahman.

It's not that they are disregarding the religion of others, they're just saying that all is one.  We may have many names for god, but to a hindu, god is god.
be awesome.

Pauli2

I guess there could be Muslim members, but couldn't astral travels be against their religion, as it could count as doing magic, which I think is forbidden in Islam? So perhaps Muslim members are a little hesitant to reveal their religion?
Former PauliEffect (got lost on server crash), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_effect

Xanth

Hi there Muslimfromcalifornia,

Welcome to the Astral Pulse forums.
You'll find people here from many different faiths and all walks of life... I believe it's one of our strengths. :)

With that said...
Did you have a specific question you wanted to ask a Muslim about?
Something pertaining to Astral Projection maybe?

Muslimfromcalifornia

well im interested in the different opinions in Islam on astral projection as well as insight from some Muslim members regarding it from an Islamic perspective.

Xanth

Quote from: Muslimfromcalifornia on November 13, 2010, 13:41:48
well im interested in the different opinions in Islam on astral projection as well as insight from some Muslim members regarding it from an Islamic perspective.
While you're waiting for your specific replies, you should use the search function and check out how other people reconcile their Astral beliefs with their chosen religion.
I know for a fact we have a wide variety of faiths here on the Astral Pulse.  :)

Volgerle

Quote from: Pauli2 on November 12, 2010, 11:00:33
I guess there could be Muslim members, but couldn't astral travels be against their religion, as it could count as doing magic, which I think is forbidden in Islam? So perhaps Muslim members are a little hesitant to reveal their religion?
Doesn't the same apply to mainstream dogmatic Christianity and Judaism, too?

AmbientSound

All people do magic whether they realize it or not, whether they intend it or not. It is a natural by-product of being. The forbidding of astral projection is not enforceable, even if one were under lock-down religious fanatics with all the guns and scientific equipment in the world. Besides, how are they going to tell you that it is wrong to do something that happens naturally every time you go to sleep?

AlanRK

Quote from: Muslimfromcalifornia on November 13, 2010, 13:41:48
Don't bother, there is very little to be found. As with in the Bible, there are probably some minor hints to the astral in the Quran, but these hints tend to be fleeting. The most I've gathered about the astral from the perspective of the Quran is that it describes the astral as a parallel world inhabited by Djinn (spirits) who live alongside us but are invisible to us, yet we are not invisible to them. This seems a clear reference to the astral, but only a low physical level.

If you really want more detail from an Islamic perspective see what you can find in Sufism. The mystical sect would no doubt know more of it.

CFTraveler

Quote from: Volgerle on November 11, 2010, 17:31:44
What do you base this on?
If you take a gander at this  subforum (is it still active?) there used to be many Muslim members here that used to debate on religious matters.  I haven't seen many argum  ..er, discussions lately.

AmbientSound

Tiny

"He never speaks but he understands thinks higher than a manHes living in The northern lights In winter everlasting He travels around Big drum in his hand And he knows what you have in your mind Theres always wolf within That leads him down And back home"

Mustardseed

Yes they are beautiful here is one more amazing Islamic traditions and dances enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxeMyQNr8ho
Words.....there was a time when I believed in words!

Kestrel

I'am born in islam family,parents,cousins,etc.But I'am not religious,mayby I'am closest to buddhism,I think it is nothing wrong to use abillity to project,like everything inherent to humans,inteligence,etc.

David Warner

Friends,

Decided to jump into this topic and give my .2 worth. Reading the previous posts about religion, upbringing, faith, practice and worship. If astral projection is legitimate testing by books or beliefs you need to be look further by experience. If that is the case then we would never know what is right or wrong if we took everything by instructions.

I had the opportunity to discuss OBE / NDE (near death experiences) with many religious instructors, priests and people who have experienced. Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Indian Native practices, beliefs - in the grand scheme the consistencies of the elements found in OBE / NDE are there and can't be ignored. Just because we live on the other side of the world, doesn't mean the other is going about their beliefs incorrect manner. We are all equal and should practice being open to learning, going outside the box and understanding each other. God, Allah, Yahweh has a million names. Not one religion is invalid.

Recently, I just finished a book on evidence of NDE by Jeffrey Long found at: http://www.nderf.org/ In one of this chapters, Jeffrey discussed religion and NDE's. What I really liked about his writing was the scope of information based on people who have experienced the NDE from all walks of life. All reported the constant values of love, spirit guides, peace, tunnel etc.. but with different interpretations of events witnessed. Religion in itself is personal to the one's who practice, belief and faith to connect with God. If we take time to study, learn and grow understanding different religions, practices it helps us to be more well rounded respecting others practices.

I have been projecting for over 20+ years now. Am I perfect because I follow Christianity "No" but I try to do what I can to make this place on earth better for family, friends, and the world around me. I have friends who have projected who are Jewish, Muslim and they are the most loving, caring and good honest citizens of the world.

Point I am trying to get across is that *everyone* has it in them to project. It all depends on how we utilize this experience to better ourselves and others in our world. Fighting and Bickering about who's right or wrong based on religion is just a endless vicious circle that will never promote advancement.

All religions are welcomed to the AP forum - We can learn so much from each other and compare thru experiences of OBE / NDE and views.

Dave

InvisibleLight - Book Release 12.12.2012
www.invisiblelight.us

O.O.P

I believe that each religion will collapse in the future, but the great masters who uses these religions as tool to expand their great wisdom in world will be remembered in the future:

-Brother stand the pain; Escape the poison of your impulses. The sky will bow to your beauty, if you do. Learn to light the candle. Rise with the sun. Turn away from the cave of your sleeping. That way a thorn expands to a rose. A particular glows with the universal.

-If I love myself I love you. If I love you I love myself.

-Close the door of words that the window of the heart may open.

-Past and future veil god from our sight, burn them both with fire.

-Conventional opinion is the ruin of our souls.

-Don't grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.

-Burdens are the foundations of ease and bitter things the forerunners of pleasure-

-Love is from the infinite, and will remain until eternity. The seeker of love escapes the chains of birth and death.

Mevlana Jalaluddin Rumi

melleck

Thanks so much O.O.P. for sharing such wise and loving words of Master Mevlana Jalaluddin Rumi :)