Discordianism

Previous topic - Next topic

kai wren

Recently I have been reading into this religion, becoming interested in it and I believe I may even take it on as my Official Faith, yup, no more agnosticism for me, Hail Eris!

The original Discordian Holy Book is the Principia Discordia, which is, I believe, KopyLeft, and therefore available for free right here http://www.ology.org/principia/body.html

I've found Discordianism philosophy very interesting, and on request I can suggest a few fora which can provide a look into the minds of other Discordians (warning, this may not be for the faint of heart) or even a long essay I wrote entitled an Introduction to Discordianism, which I decided not to spam you all with here.

I was just interested in what the opinions of others here would be of this fringe religion disguised as a joke disguised as a religion. So... yeah... discuss!

thesickmoon

"Chair-swiveling is an old and honorable avocation for any accomplished and self-respecting villainous personage."
--Ronald D. Moore, March 12, 2005

CFTraveler

Have you seen Eris on the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy?  They can use the episodes as part of their cult.  :razz:

kai wren

Oooh, I haven't, I'll have to start watching them. I know Eris was in Xena... pretty hot too  :twisted:

CFTraveler

It's pretty funny because they make her hot but gap-toothed- Grim has the hots for her.  However, have you seen a real (Greek classical) statue of her?  :shock:

kai wren

The greeks represented her in two ways, as either Strife-Eris, the battle goddess who destroyed and crushed stuff, and the Eris version which most Discordians associate with more- who gets you off  your behind to do stuff. Personally, I see Eris manifested in both these things, but the Greeks feared her far more than they revered her, they didn't like her

paker7

I'm a Pope Of Discordianism !!!  :twisted:

Commoners believe - winners KNOW !

kai wren

Whoo, me too! Rock on!  :razz:

zyzyx

I'm a discordian as well... But, I'd like to see maybe a discussion of the Sacred Chao... I have a different take on the importance and application of the Chao myself.

Sacred Chao - A symbol resembling the yin-yan of eastern philosophy.  It is a disk divided in half by a curved line.  One side of the disk has the Apple of Discord and the other has a regular pentagon.  The side with the apple is said to represent the eristic/creative principle of disorder, and the side with the pentagon represents to eristic/creative principle of order.

The idea of the Sacred Chao is that these forces of order and disorder should be kept in balance.  One principle should not outweigh the other.

Most discordians believe that in today's society order is far more prevalent than disorder.  So, discordians try to bring more disorder into society by doing things like "Jakes" and ahem... "Mental-Fornications"

I think that it is true that the Chao should be balanced in society as a whole, but I think the only way to resolve the conflict is to first balance it within ourselves... (This is where I think I differ from most other discordians)

Anyways... thoughts?

-Z

kai wren

The sacred Chao is indeed an important part of Discordian thought, I have always thought of it as a coin, on the one side is order, on the other discord. I like to think of the coin as Chaos. To me, the Chao represents how life would be perfectly- both things in balance, but constantly moving, just as a coin would when flipped.

I tend to move towards the popular Discordian view that society today is far too imbalanced towards order than it is towards discord, I see this every day when I see the people around me... so choked by order and rules, regulations and needless restrictions that they have forgotten how to say NO to authority. The biggest visible symptom of this that I have seen is how little people care about each other these days... the average person has no respect for anyone else, no sense of politeness. I firmly believe that in the 'perfect' situation people would have a base level of respect for one another simply because they are human, not because of rules or regulations, which seems to be the only thing keeping my country from erupting in a violent racist bloodbath at the moment (UK)

Anyhoo... kinda gotten away from the point.

I think what you have said is very interesting, that one must reach a balance in oneself before it can be applied on a wider scale is a very, very interesting concept. How does one know that you have reached an inner balance? Balance is often associated with order, and therefore you would be right in saying that you differ from the majority of Discordians in your belief... the concept of restraint seems to be something that many of the discordians I have spoken to have difficulty with.

I would be very interested to hear more thoughts on balance and applying it to Discordian thought, at current I am very much staying away from the jake and ahem, "Mind Fornication" side of things, as I am fairly certain that not many people around me would see the funny side of it... and the fear of getting caught is quite large.

Anyway, in conclusion, I would like to know how you would suggest one goes about finding a balance between order and discord in oneself, and if you feel you have reached such a balance.

kai wren

The sacred Chao is indeed an important part of Discordian thought, I have always thought of it as a coin, on the one side is order, on the other discord. I like to think of the coin as Chaos. To me, the Chao represents how life would be perfectly- both things in balance, but constantly moving, just as a coin would when flipped.

I tend to move towards the popular Discordian view that society today is far too imbalanced towards order than it is towards discord, I see this every day when I see the people around me... so choked by order and rules, regulations and needless restrictions that they have forgotten how to say NO to authority. The biggest visible symptom of this that I have seen is how little people care about each other these days... the average person has no respect for anyone else, no sense of politeness. I firmly believe that in the 'perfect' situation people would have a base level of respect for one another simply because they are human, not because of rules or regulations, which seems to be the only thing keeping my country from erupting in a violent racist bloodbath at the moment (UK)

Anyhoo... kinda gotten away from the point.

I think what you have said is very interesting, that one must reach a balance in oneself before it can be applied on a wider scale is a very, very interesting concept. How does one know that you have reached an inner balance? Balance is often associated with order, and therefore you would be right in saying that you differ from the majority of Discordians in your belief... the concept of restraint seems to be something that many of the discordians I have spoken to have difficulty with.

I would be very interested to hear more thoughts on balance and applying it to Discordian thought, at current I am very much staying away from the jake and ahem, "Mind Fornication" side of things, as I am fairly certain that not many people around me would see the funny side of it... and the fear of getting caught is quite large.

Anyway, in conclusion, I would like to know how you would suggest one goes about finding a balance between order and discord in oneself, and if you feel you have reached such a balance.

kai wren

Totally not a double post, honest >_>

zyzyx

Well, I read an interesting idea somewhere in the PD.  It says that disorder and order both have creative and destructive aspects.  And to strive for order, or disorder, alone is a trip composed of both aspects.  But, the all creative trip is comprised of both order and disorder.

So, I guess I strive for this 'all creative trip'.  I try to build people up.  I try to always come up with new fresh ways to approach things.  I try to be as open as I can to new ideas and perspectives.  I figure the more I add and the less I subtract from the world the better.  This is how I balance the Chao within myself.

I always thought of creative order and creative disorder as being two halves of the same side of a coin.  The flip side of the coin having destructive order and destructive disorder.  Heh, so maybe the coin is always flipping over and spinning at the same time in order to keep all the elements in motion.

-Z

CFTraveler

Quote from: kai wrenThe greeks represented her in two ways, as either Strife-Eris, the battle goddess who destroyed and crushed stuff, and the Eris version which most Discordians associate with more- who gets you off  your behind to do stuff. Personally, I see Eris manifested in both these things, but the Greeks feared her far more than they revered her, they didn't like her
Frankly, I think the Greeks didn't like anyone female!  Except for Aphrodite maybe.  Just my opinion, though.

Leyla

I licked the dot but wasn't one of the lucky 25.

They tell you all through it to get in touch with your peniel gland, and lately scientists have said it's an un-calcified peniel gland that's responsible for astral projection. (Or the "sensation" of astral projection, as they put it.)