God - believe it or not?

Previous topic - Next topic

Nagual

As you said, it has been asked/discussed many times already...
Do a search in the forums; both on God and belief...
By example: http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8248
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

WalkerInTheWoods

Is there any reason why you feel the need to believe in any kind of god?

I do not know if there is any kind of god. I figure if it is important to know, then when it is important I will know. I think that if such a thing should exist it is impossible for one manifested as a human to fully comprehend. So basicly to me, it does not matter. You could say that I am Agnostic when it comes to god/goddess/gods.
Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

Alezunde

At this point, I simply want to know what other people think.

Nay

Alezunde,

Nagual gave a great suggestion, you will find out what other people think by reading some past posts, that envolve the same question. [:D]

Nay [;)]

xander

quote:
Originally posted by Alezunde

I do not believe in God. Yet.
As of now, I am completely neutral - I will believe in God if I have proof of some sort, or I will disbelieve him is he is disproven.
But I am completely open to both sides.

Firstly, what does everyone think God IS? Is he a powerful entity, or the all-knowing creator of everything?
And secondly, why do YOU believe or disbelieve in God?

-Alezunde

Often God is whatever you wish God to be.

kutabare

I think "god" is just like you and me in apperance but has the ability to destroy worlds using his ki. Some think that this is a expression of "kami" and think that he is our protecter witch in fact he is not. he is there to make sure no danger becomes of him and so he just looks over the lands.

The AlphaOmega

I think God is an all powerful being and the creator of everything.  I know this because I believe it.  Christ said, "it is impossible to not believe what you see.  It is equally impossible to see what you do not believe".  It's too difficult to explain why I really believe in God.  It's not because I have seen or touched Him, but I guess by the impact that believing in Him has on lives.  Do I think everyone should believe in God?  As closed minded as it sounds, yes I do.  Do I think it's my job to convince anyone their beliefs are wrong?  No I do not.
"Discover your own path to enlightenment with diligence".
              - Buddha

Nagual

quote:
Christ said, "it is impossible to not believe what you see. It is equally impossible to see what you do not believe".

I don't agree with Christ...  Just go see a show of magicians.  While I see one cutting a woman in pieces and then glueing her back; I don't believe it was real.  And while I don't believe someone can pull rabbits from an empty hat, I still saw the guy do it...  [;)]
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

kakkarot

i'm pretty sure that wasn't the exact quote, though. thealphaomega was using a sort of generalization to get a point across.

~kakkarot

onefromsomewhereelse

I believe God is an all powerful/knowing spirit, neither male or female.  Believing in God; heck, even Satan does, so that by itself should be a no brainer; you'd have to be a moron to think it's all an accident, with no creator.   The big question is if you believe IN God, or believe God?

I guess there are 3 general types of people:  those who don't believe in God. those who do believe, and those who believe God.  Wouldn't you agree that most people are in the second group?

I am a Christian, but of the old school who believe that God has a people in every nation, kindred and tongue, and not just in the Christian churches.  You can find true seekers of God in every culture and religon; in fact, I believe most of the "super spiritual" people in the world are not Christians.

I also hope that those who don't like most Christians understand that many of us don't care for Tammy Faye or most of those other phony wannabees on TV either.

Gandalf

Personally, I DO beleive in god but certainly not the christian notion.

I believe in a pantheistic notion of god as universe and everything in it. Including a whole heirarchy of beings within it, including us.
In this way, monotheism AND polytheistic ideas are BOTH right in a certain sense, as there are beings along the scale who are powerful and are aspects of god but also seperate beings. Just like us. We are also aspects of god yet seperate. This is why activly worshipping god is ridiculous IMO as we are all aspects of god. You can certainly have respect for greater beings however.

IMO the idea that 'god' is aware or interested (or gets involved) in events at our level is ridiculous. Sure there might be beings far down the line who are closer to us that might get invloved with out affairs.

Douglas
"It is to Scotland that we look for our idea of civilisation." -- Voltaire.

The Bard

We each have our own relationship with the cosmos. Whether or not it is one self-aware being (I would not claim to know). For all we know God or Gods could just be astral beings with egos that toy with the human race and manipulate us into worshipping them.

I do believe there is a creator and it is in everything and everyone. To love the entire creator would be to love it all in both the positive and negative. I respect the creator but I won't worship it anymore than I'd expect my own children to worship me. There are things I love and don't like about the Creator. I sometimes feel like the bible translations make God sound like an abusive parent.  

Unitarians raised me. (One pagan and one atheist.) They raised me to develop my own belief system. All my life I have read mythology and history. I think organized religion like the biblical ones were developed to control the masses by using fear to encourage morals in people.

Ceriel N

I'm going to claim it does not matter what one believes. =)
"We work in the dark - we do what we can- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
- Henry James

Alezunde

Alrighty.
I'll start off with two things:

*EDIT*

I think I'll get plenty of replies to this topic, so please either try to only make one post, or limit your replies. (I don't actually live in the forums, I only check back occasonally - but I'll try to get back to this topic more often.)

-EDIT-
Alrighty, it's not really a problem - I'd just like to know everyone's personal opinion.
-EDIT-

Firstly, what does everyone think God IS? Is he a powerful entity, or the all-knowing creator of everything?
And secondly, why do YOU believe or disbelieve in God?

I'm really interested to hear what everyone has to say!

-Alezunde