If there was no need to eat....

Previous topic - Next topic

LightBeam

I was just watching a documentary called Stories from the Stone Age and it is so fascinating to me how the first intelligent humans were evolving and thinking about making tools to hunt and gather, started building shelters, started farming and domesticating animals. But then I thought, all these creative ideas and evolving skills were happening mainly because they needed to find food. Everything they did was for the purpose of feeding. Most modern humans do today ultimately leads again to food supplies. So I wondered, what if humans did not have the biological need to eat. Where would our available intelligence have lead us to. What would the world look like today if we weren't focused on securing food for everyday survival, but focused on some other areas.
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Stillwater

The key in this equation is scarcity.

Scarcity of food, of shelter, of safety, space, etc.

In biology, something will always limit the growth of a population. If nothing does, that population will grow until something limits it again. Genetics more or less dictates this will happen. What does an animal look like when it has unlimited food? Its population will grow, until there is no longer enough space for shelter, or space to keep its babies safe, then it will go to war with itself, as individuals fight to secure shelter or safe space for their children to occupy.

I am afraid humans would resemble this.

Also though, I think you are about to see the answer to the question (more as you envisioned it, rather than as a question of scarcity). I think given the surplus of time we now have as humans, we are about to manifest some sort of machine culture. Anyone's guess where that goes!
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

LightBeam

I think you are right. In such realities, there always will be SOMETHING of a shortage which the inhabitants will need to continuously keep obtaining, holding most of there focus on it. Depending on the nature of this SOMETHING, certain related skills will develop more. It would be soooo interesting to see what other planets with other environments and habitants have developed. I wish by now there were already interplanetary travel and established relationships, but I guess we still need to get things under control here on our own. 
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."
Captain Jack Sparrow