jesus the hindu, (or tantric buddhist)

Previous topic - Next topic

exothen

kalratri,

QuoteYou WERE WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Are you even interested in finding the truth or are you just trying to win an argument?

QuoteYou claimed Jesus claimed the sole mantel of being the son of God.

Again, you are twisting what I have said. Anyone can go back and look at what I have posted. I clearly stated that the Bible does use "sons of God" in reference to men and angels. I also clearly stated that the phrase "Son of God" carries a very different connotation when applied to Christ. This is something that one could easily find out with some studying.

Perhaps I should put it this way: Jesus is the "one and only" Son of God, the "only begotten" Son.

If you want to ignore that the use of "sons of God" simply refers to those who are representatives of God, anointed by him to carry out tasks (usually kings and rulers), then go ahead. But quit twisting what I am saying.

QuoteShame on you! Hindus and Buddhists have libraries and libraries of revealed scripture AND YOU GUYS HAVE ONE BITTY BOOK and you can't even understand one little book properly.

So what? What is your point (besides showing your poor reasoning)?

QuoteYahweh, the divine name actually means , " I will be who I will be"...

Again, so what? They say the same thing.

QuoteJews were NEVER expecting a man to claim YAHWEH (GOD)status. THAT WAS NOT A PART OF JEWISH TRADITION. They were expecting someone like King David to rule Israel. SURPRISE!

Again, so what?

QuoteJews to this day don't except Jesus as the Messiah.

You should have said "many Jews don't accept Jesus as the Messiah." There are Messianic Jews that do accept Jesus as the Messiah.

QuoteYes and it was blasphemous according to Jewish tradition where being a son of God is acceptable, but GOD? No.

And here your argument comes undone, by your own words. You are essentially conceding what I have said all along: that when Jesus is referred to as the Son of God, it carries a different meaning than when "sons of God" is used of humans.

The Jews knew what "sons of God" meant and weren't bothered by its use, as John 10:34-35 states. But they also knew that when Jesus used "Son of God" for himself, he was claiming equality with God, so they accused Jesus of blasphemy, as stated in John 10:33, 36.

QuoteNow take your own advice and study a little before you make comments that display your gross ignorance and lack of knowledge of history and world religion.

If you want to be immature in your debating, go somewhere else.
"When men cease to believe in God, they do not believe in nothing; they believe in anything." G.K. Chesterton

exothen

Gandalf,

QuoteCant we leave people to believe what they want?

I can't. While I respect a person's right to believe what they want, I cannot sit back when someone twists what the Bible says to support beliefs which are completely contradictory to it.
"When men cease to believe in God, they do not believe in nothing; they believe in anything." G.K. Chesterton

Gandalf

ok, but if that person's beliefs have nothing to do with the christian bible then you dont have any beef with it in that case?

Concerning the bible: I know where you are coming from but is it not the case that people can read the same line from the bible and come to a completely different interpretation of it, which can lead to problems? Its just that i bet there are others out there who disagree with some of your views on a text as strongly as you might disagree with theirs... this must contribute to all the factionalism that you get within christianity.. of course you get it in other religions as well, its just that christianity seems to have turned this into a fine art!  I dont think there is any other mainstream religion which is split into so many different factions, all vehemently opposed to one another.

As a matter of interest what branch would you consider yourself as? and i dont' mean 'the truth' or some other such answer, but rather what real world category of christianity do you generelly identify with?

Doug
"It is to Scotland that we look for our idea of civilisation." -- Voltaire.

exothen

Gandalf,

Quoteok, but if that person's beliefs have nothing to do with the christian bible then you dont have any beef with it in that case?

On the one hand, no, I don't have a beef with it. But on the other hand, Jesus did command the disciples to preach the gospel everywhere and to everyone. It is hard when one believes they have the Truth, as I believe I do, and that truth is exclusive of all other religions. If what the Bible says is true, then there are a lot of people in a lot of trouble and they need to hear what the Bible says so they can be saved.

Having said all that, I am trying not to shove Christ down anyone's throats, but I am compelled to speak the Truth whenever the opportunity arises.

QuoteI know where you are coming from but is it not the case that people can read the same line from the bible and come to a completely different interpretation of it, which can lead to problems?

In many cases, yes. However, there are some fundamental truths which define Christianity and all Christians believe. Some Christians call these the "essentials" while remaining doctrine is often termed "unessential," for salvation that is.

There are general rules of biblical interpretation and exegesis (getting the meaning from the text) that help determine the interpretation of the texts. While this really cuts down on the disagreements, some continue to use poor interpretive skills or purposely twist the Bible to support erroneous beliefs.

Am I claiming that I've got it all right? Not at all. I am open to correction, but until good evidence is given as to why I shouldn't hold to a certain position, I have no reason to abandon what I believe.

QuoteIts just that i bet there are others out there who disagree with some of your views on a text as strongly as you might disagree with theirs... this must contribute to all the factionalism that you get within christianity..

Don't I know it. I mod at a Christian board where the fur really flies. I disagree with people and people disagree with me. Although this contributes to most of the factionalism in Christianity, some of it is just Church government and structure. Yes, Christians can be very petty (in case you hadn't noticed).

QuoteAs a matter of interest what branch would you consider yourself as? and i dont' mean 'the truth' or some other such answer, but rather what real world category of christianity do you generelly identify with?

Evangelical Protestant, but more specifically, Pentecostal. But I have stepped back a bit due to my disagreement with some practices and beliefs of Pentecostals in particular, and some Evangelical beliefs in general.

Thanks for the friendly discussion. :)

Gandalf

yeah no problem, i guess that Chesterson quote you have will always irritate me but I can live with that, and is probably a good reason for you to keep on using it.. :wink:

I am curious about one thing however: I am interested in and practice astral projection, (the board kind of gives that away!) and you use this board as well. What are your views on AP and how does it fit in with your beliefs? Is it compatible in any way or out of the question for someone in your position?

Doug

exothen

Quite honestly Gandalf, I don't know what astral projection is or how it is done. If you remember, way back when, I was invited to these boards by a user who had a revelation of Christ while taking part in a Shaman ritual. He used to post vehemently against Christianity on a Christian site I mod at, but when he came back from a week in the Rocky Mountains and shared his experience, he was a completely changed, and scared, person. A couple of months after that, he stated he had become a Christian.

Anyway, you probably remember his attacks against "New Age" philosophy and zeal for Christianity which got him booted from these forums. I just stuck around because I see a lot of incorrect things said about Christ and the Bible. Plus it gets to be very pointless and frustrating debating Christians over doctrinal issues.

Gandalf

I do remember him Exothen, although from what I remember there were good reasons for taking that action although it was unfortunate.

From what I remember though he was posting countless messages IN CAPITALS on ALL the forums, basically screaming at everyone that they were under the thrall of satan etc..
The result of this debacle was the creation of the christian forums on this board so you can say that it resulted in a positive step from one point of view. The idea was that people with christian concerns/interests would have a place to debate/make their case with others and with those who were interested enough to take a look.

This guy was way over the top however, and eventially became unmanageble, but perhaps this was due to inexperience, since as you said, he had only recently had his revelation... perhaps he would learn from the experience here and take a more measured, reasonable approach in the future.

Doug

PS for the record 'Astral projection' is the the practice of training yourself to leave your physical body and roam in spirit form, whether in the physical world of 'higher' levels of reality.
You might have heard of this in related experiences known as 'Out of body expeiences', which is the same thing except that this happens randomly during a serious accident or during an operation for example, both of which suggest that it is a perfectly natural occurance. Whether you should activly 'train' yourself to leave the body by choice is another matter however and perhaps not everyone would agree with this practice.

kalratri

Quote from: exothenkalratri,

Are you even interested in finding the truth or are you just trying to win an argument?

I know in the neo-religious traditions of the middle east, you are supposed turn off your brain and just believe, but that's not the eastern way.  You must not just read, you must also have correct understanding.

But it seems you are not after the truth, but simply after continuing to believe what you believe.

Again, you are twisting what I have said. Anyone can go back and look at what I have posted. I clearly stated that the Bible does use "sons of God" in reference to men and angels. I also clearly stated that the phrase "Son of God" carries a very different connotation when applied to Christ. This is something that one could easily find out with some studying.

You clearly stated this AFTER I had to find the exact verse.  And again, Jesus who attained the Christ hood, did NOT redefine the "son of God" title, he claimed he was GOD.  That is the difference and that is why it is said that the "sons of God" will die like men, but those who follow his path will be everliving...i.e. immortal.

Perhaps I should put it this way: Jesus is the "one and only" Son of God, the "only begotten" Son.

There you again.  First of all, Jesus was not THE son of God, he claimed he was "ONE WITH THE FATHER" or one with God, that is why he is beyond other "sonS of God".  Second of all, Jesus said that the son of God is not exclusive and he was NOT the only son of God, sons of God are mortal and die like men, but since he became one with God he was immortal.
Thirdly, the claim of being "ONE WITH GOD" or "ONE WITH THE WAY" is largely found in eastern traditions from Hinduism to Taoism. So the church is wrong once again, since thousands upon thousands of people besides Jesus have become "ONE WITH GOD"....So Jesus is not the ONLY one.  The concept of Avatars, or "God becoming flesh" is quite ancient.

QuoteShame on you! Hindus and Buddhists have libraries and libraries of revealed scripture AND YOU GUYS HAVE ONE BITTY BOOK and you can't even understand one little book properly.

[/quote]

I'm just amazed that you and many other evangelists keep saying the same things even after you are wrong... :lol:
- Treating alike victory and defeat, gain and loss, pleasure and pain - then get ready to fight! By doing so you shall not incur sin 2:38 Gita
- Live in this world with unlimited vision, having firmly rejected all limitations. Vashista

kalratri

Quote from: exothenQuite honestly Gandalf, I don't know what astral projection is or how it is done. If you remember, way back when, I was invited to these boards by a user who had a revelation of Christ while taking part in a Shaman ritual.

Er, okay so he had a revelation in a shaman ritual, so did he get any revelation of Christ in a church ritual...?

I was lucky enough and saw the solar Christ after falling asleep in my house after chanting Hindu mantras...so any doubt on whether or not Jesus actually became the "Christ" or resurrected became erased.  So I always pay my respects to all these immortals.  Since Christ is relatively easy to see, it means he is the most easily pleased of all dieties and is willing to help you in every way to go higher...so I guess you can say he is one of my "gurus"...

Getting a revelation simply means that your spiritual method is good enough to purify you to have visions of immortals,angels, boddhisatvas  etc. but again visions are very basic, you have to continue...it also has nothing to do with following any specific religion. If you get caught up in "OOH I SAW CHRIST, HALLELUJAH! " than that's the end of your spiritual progress.  

Again, I'm not against followers of Christ and his true teachings, but evangelists, now they are another story.
- Treating alike victory and defeat, gain and loss, pleasure and pain - then get ready to fight! By doing so you shall not incur sin 2:38 Gita
- Live in this world with unlimited vision, having firmly rejected all limitations. Vashista

exothen

kalratri,

QuoteI know in the neo-religious traditions of the middle east, you are supposed turn off your brain and just believe, but that's not the eastern way.

That is not it at all. The Bible commands people to think and use reason, not to turn off one's brain. But this is so with eastern religions. Is that not the whole purpose of meditation: to forget everything, empty one's mind and become one with the universe?

QuoteBut it seems you are not after the truth, but simply after continuing to believe what you believe.

This, of course, implies that I don't have the truth and you do, which proves that you are just trying to win an argument.

QuoteFirst of all, Jesus was not THE son of God, he claimed he was "ONE WITH THE FATHER" or one with God, that is why he is beyond other "sonS of God".

Are you reading what I'm posting?

Joh 10:36  do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?

What else do you want? Clearly Jesus said he is the Son of God. He also says that the Father "sanctified" him, which means "to set apart" or "make holy." This also shows that the phrase "Son of God" meant something much different when used of Jesus. Jesus also states that he was sent by the Father into the world.

QuoteSecond of all, Jesus said that the son of God is not exclusive and he was NOT the only son of God, sons of God are mortal and die like men, but since he became one with God he was immortal

I take it that you haven't studied what I suggested? The use of the phrase "sons of God" as it applies to men, only meant that they were righteous representatives of God; it is used of kings and rulers anointed by God. The Jews as a whole were to make the one and only God, Yahweh, known to the rest of the world. You would know this if you studied what I suggested.

QuoteThirdly, the claim of being "ONE WITH GOD" or "ONE WITH THE WAY" is largely found in eastern traditions from Hinduism to Taoism.

So what? The use of it by Jesus is a claim of equality with God - he was one in essence and nature. The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus was God in the flesh, God incarnate. This is the very opposite of what eastern traditions believe.

QuoteSo the church is wrong once again, since thousands upon thousands of people besides Jesus have become "ONE WITH GOD"....So Jesus is not the ONLY one.

Well, Jesus and the Bible are in strong disagreement with you.

QuoteThe concept of Avatars, or "God becoming flesh" is quite ancient.

So what?

QuoteEr, okay so he had a revelation in a shaman ritual, so did he get any revelation of Christ in a church ritual...?

Not as far as I know, but his revelation was very much in agreement with Christian theology. He used to be quite like you actually - strongly disliked Christianity, was into all the eastern philosophy and spiritual practices, like AP (which is why he was a member here). And I'm quite certain that he isn't the only one who has had revelations of the real Satan and real Jesus.

QuoteI was lucky enough and saw the solar Christ after falling asleep in my house after chanting Hindu mantras...so any doubt on whether or not Jesus actually became the "Christ" or resurrected became erased. So I always pay my respects to all these immortals. Since Christ is relatively easy to see, it means he is the most easily pleased of all dieties and is willing to help you in every way to go higher...so I guess you can say he is one of my "gurus"...

Then that was not the Christ of the Bible that you saw (and there are no other Christs). If you want to disagree then explain how others' spiritual experiences don't match up with yours, and then read the following:

Rev 1:12  And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;
Rev 1:13  And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
Rev 1:14  His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
Rev 1:15  And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
Rev 1:16  And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Rev 1:17  And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
Rev 1:18  I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

QuoteAgain, I'm not against followers of Christ and his true teachings, but evangelists, now they are another story.

And again, you suppose that you have the truth while Christians do not. On what basis do you believe that your interpretation is correct and the Church's wrong? The Church has been around for 2000 years, before the writing of the NT. As such, their interpretation has much support, yours does not.

kalratri

Hello again Exothen,

Sorry for my late response, but I had a holiday and was too busy :D ...

QuoteI know in the neo-religious traditions of the middle east, you are supposed turn off your brain and just believe, but that's not the eastern way.

That is not it at all. The Bible commands people to think and use reason, not to turn off one's brain. But this is so with eastern religions. Is that not the whole purpose of meditation: to forget everything, empty one's mind and become one with the universe?

Ooooh, I'm impressed, you have some basic "reading" knowledge of eastern theology.  But Eastern theology can never be confused for semitic tradition since eastern theology is based on pure reason and very advanced meditative techniques which further hone that reasoning ability.  The concept of "no mind" or "empty mind" is a useless idea until it's actually experienced.  This concept can come AFTER reasoning or without any reason.  It depends on how naturally spiritually advanced you are.  There are several Zen tales of even illiterates attaining Nirvana before Zen masters.  But I will not go further in explaining this.  

So yes, spiritual PRACTICE is considered far superior to intellectualization in eastern tradition, it has such advanced spiritual techniques that even today no semitic tradition meditator matches up with a Buddhist or Hindu or Taoist one.  In fact there are NO meditation books on how to meditate in the semitic traditions.  It is inner knowledge, the east has made it into a science that even "idiots" can see "God"...

QuoteBut it seems you are not after the truth, but simply after continuing to believe what you believe.

This, of course, implies that I don't have the truth and you do, which proves that you are just trying to win an argument.

Well when someone proves someone wrong on a basic premise, then either you admit you were wrong and start studying more or you can be like yourself and continue the way you are going.  We all have a choice.

You clearly stated that Jesus was the ONLY son of God, you can go back and see the version I posted from another translation which states he was A son of God.  But you are insistent and say that He was the ONLY one.  Again you are wrong.  So I might have the whole truth but I do know basic Christianity better than you, a hard headed evangelist.

QuoteFirst of all, Jesus was not THE son of God, he claimed he was "ONE WITH THE FATHER" or one with God, that is why he is beyond other "sonS of God"

Are you reading what I'm posting?

Joh 10:36  do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?

Again that might be just one translation, I had another translation where he said he is A SON OF GOD, not THE son of God.  Again, before Christ resurrects he cries "elohi, elohi why have you forsaken me" in Hebrew of course which was a part of the psalms I beleive.  Again, if you say he WAS GOD then you have to tell me why he had to say this.  How could God forsake Himself -- was he talking to himself?

QuoteSecond of all, Jesus said that the son of God is not exclusive and he was NOT the only son of God, sons of God are mortal and die like men, but since he became one with God he was immortal

I take it that you haven't studied what I suggested? The use of the phrase "sons of God" as it applies to men, only meant that they were righteous representatives of God; it is used of kings and rulers anointed by God.

No it wasn't.  Genesis also states that there were daughters of Adam who married the Elohim and became "ben elohim"...they were giants on earth.  So No they were not just talking about rulers and kings.  It is just like Jesus the Christ who was fathered by the "Elohim"... So your 2000 year old church is either very wrong or can't see the truth and doesn't want to or both.

The Jews as a whole were to make the one and only God, Yahweh, known to the rest of the world. You would know this if you studied what I suggested.

Yahweh was not the ONLY god, again even the Jews admit this in the Bible and mention that there are other Gods but only Yahweh for the Jews since he gave them the 5 books of Moses.  The Elohim are another set of Gods...so you ARE WRONG AGAIN!!! Yahweh was a war God found amongst canaanites whereas the Elohim were related to El, I believe YAhweh was a son of El, but I would have to look it up.  So that means you either don't know enough middle eastern history or you just like misrepresenting other people's religions to suit your inadequacies.  Yahweh is simply another name of the ONE...just like Elohim and El are.

QuoteThirdly, the claim of being "ONE WITH GOD" or "ONE WITH THE WAY" is largely found in eastern traditions from Hinduism to Taoism

So what? The use of it by Jesus is a claim of equality with God - he was one in essence and nature. The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus was God in the flesh, God incarnate. This is the very opposite of what eastern traditions believe.

How silly, Apollo and a whole host of others were "sons of Gods" way before Christ.  Eastern traditions never had sons of Gods only Gods...sorry, I'm afraid our meditative techniques only generates Gods who encompass the entire universe in their body, no sons of Gods.  So that would mean that Christ was their Son.... :shock: that's cool... :D

QuoteSo the church is wrong once again, since thousands upon thousands of people besides Jesus have become "ONE WITH GOD"....So Jesus is not the ONLY one

Well, Jesus and the Bible are in strong disagreement with you.

No, I'm afraid Jesus disagrees with you and the modern misrepresentation of him by the church.  

QuoteThe concept of Avatars, or "God becoming flesh" is quite ancient.

So what?

QuoteEr, okay so he had a revelation in a shaman ritual, so did he get any revelation of Christ in a church ritual...?

Not as far as I know, but his revelation was very much in agreement with Christian theology. He used to be quite like you actually - strongly disliked Christianity, was into all the eastern philosophy and spiritual practices, like AP (which is why he was a member here). And I'm quite certain that he isn't the only one who has had revelations of the real Satan and real Jesus.

He was like me? er, yeah.  No he couldn't be like me.  I am not experimenting with religion, I have a very wonderful religion THE MOST ANCIENT RELIGION...your 2000 year old church still can't match...whose purfying practices makes me see many of the immortals in very little time.  And I never said strongly disliked Christianity or Christ, as I said I appreciate anyone willing to undergo that spiritual transfiguration.  I only disagree with SOME members of the church who insist on reducing Christ to a fast food religion -- 1 billion served and counting-- and NOT ONE IMMORTAL ...

within the framework of 2000 years of church, Hinduism and Buddhism and Taoism has made over 100 immortals at the same level of Jesus the Christ according to our records -- some even exceeded him .... walking on water, healing, committing bodily suicide...it's like old news... :roll:  Of course we also had many more miracles... higher "miracles" than anything in the Bible, of course to us it's just Yoga.... :D Even today, there are more Buddhists, Hindus and Taoists who can perform more miracles than most Christians/Jews/muslims...

the proof is in the pudding, after Christ, how many immortals has the church produced.

[

exothen

I, too, am just recovering from being very busy and don't feel up to posting a response. I'll post when I feel recovered, whenever that will be.

pmlonline

QuoteYou clearly stated that Jesus was the ONLY son of God, you can go back and see the version I posted from another translation which states he was A son of God.

Hasn't the Bible lost much meaning over the centuries?  We see the words of Christ in the Bible, but what did he really say.  That is, what were the exact words of Christ?  Was there someone standing next to Christ writing down his every word?  I think when the first time camera is revealed to the world that many will be surprised to hear the exact translated words of Christ over 2000 years ago.  A present the Bible contains 66 books but had over 70 originally.

Also we are dealing with a Divine being, Christ.  So what does that mean?  Divine words from a Divine being are deep.  How about this ... Christ was the only son of God just as Buddha was and so are you.  At the Divine level, all things are one.  Within each Soul there is a Spark of Divinity.  :-)

Love & Peace,
Paul
NOTE: I believe a moderator may have edited some of my posts on mysticism. I will no longer post here until users can know when moderators edit their posts.

Free 700 pg online book from an Initiate:
http://www.rosicrucian.com/rcc/rcceng00.htm#contents

NickJW

If you want to ignore that the use of "sons of God" simply refers to those who are representatives of God, anointed by him to carry out tasks (usually kings and rulers), then go ahead. But quit twisting what I am saying.

QuoteYahweh, the divine name actually means , " I will be who I will be"...

Again, so what? They say the same thing.

QuoteJews were NEVER expecting a man to claim YAHWEH (GOD)status. THAT WAS NOT A PART OF JEWISH TRADITION. They were expecting someone like King David to rule Israel. SURPRISE!

Again, so what?

QuoteJews to this day don't except Jesus as the Messiah.

You should have said "many Jews don't accept Jesus as the Messiah." There are Messianic Jews that do accept Jesus as the Messiah.

QuoteYes and it was blasphemous according to Jewish tradition where being a son of God is acceptable, but GOD? No.

And here your argument comes undone, by your own words. You are essentially conceding what I have said all along: that when Jesus is referred to as the Son of God, it carries a different meaning than when "sons of God" is used of humans.

The Jews knew what "sons of God" meant and weren't bothered by its use, as John 10:34-35 states. But they also knew that when Jesus used "Son of God" for himself, he was claiming equality with God, so they accused Jesus of blasphemy, as stated in John 10:33, 36.

QuoteNow take your own advice and study a little before you make comments that display your gross ignorance and lack of knowledge of history and world religion.

If you want to be immature in your debating, go somewhere else.

lol how hilarious, Exothen has been proven wrong like usual, except this time he can't even come up with a decent come back. "So what, so what".
Boy aint this guy smart, about as smart as a rock.
Finally someone has got this moron to shut up.
Good work Kalratri! :D