Previous topic - Next topic

Kilik

http://www.tombofjesus.com/home.htm

There was a thread with some interesting sites on another forum a while ago

Here's the thread, it was titled "Was Jesus a Bodhisattva?"
http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21800

Another article-
http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/183_jesuseast1.shtml

So basically what I've been able to comprehend, is I think they are saying there is a Jewish grave in Kashmir India, about 1900 to 2000 years old, about the right time period. It has carved feet imprints at the grave, but the carved imprints have crucifix wounds.

And that there are legitimate eastern historical texts which tell of stories of a teacher from the west who was tortured by his people but then came east at that time.

Gandalf

sounds like a pile of old horse bollocks to me!

Doug
"It is to Scotland that we look for our idea of civilisation." -- Voltaire.

James S

I don't get how Jesus could have been seen as a Bodhisattva. He didn't stay on earth!

Yep, I'm going with "its old horse bollocks" as well

Mind you, I do enjoy the rare occasions when two fantasy writers collaborate and bring both their respective favourite characters together into one setting. Usually makes for an entertaining read.

James.

Nay

horse bollocks

Tehehe..Doug, is that with or without our clever censors? :D

James S

Hey, If Sex Pistols could get away with it as part of an album title a few decades ago.....

:)

shedt

Quote from: Gandalfsounds like a pile of old horse bollocks to me!

Doug

I'm curious to find why you find that it sounds like that.

James S

Quote from: shedt
I'm curious to find why you find that it sounds like that.
Maybey he has a friend that owns a Horse Stud.

P.S.
I know you were kidding Lola.  :wink:
Now I'm thinking I'm not sure what's worse, the word or the Sex Pistols album.  :?:

Gandalf

"It is to Scotland that we look for our idea of civilisation." -- Voltaire.

Beth

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Less poetic than "horse bollocks" ...

but IMO, that stuff is all Stupidity and IGNORANCE.

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:
Become a Critical Thinker!
"Ignorance is the greatest of all sins."
                   --Origen of Alexandria

Adrian

Hello everyone,

Now come on!

How could Jesus possibly be buried in India when he is really buried in Japan? :)

http://www.thiaoouba.com/tomb.htm

Dr. Tom Chalko is a very serious person incidentally.

There is evidence to suggest the Essenes, of which Jesus was thought to be a member before leaving to undertake his mission was influenced by Buddhism.

Keeping in mind that Buddism pre-dated Christianity by quite some time, this seems quite possible.

There are many who believe thatBuddhism copied Christianity, but clearly those people have their chronology wrong.

Best regards,

Adrian.
https://ourultimatereality.com/
Vincit Omnia Veritas

Kilik

Well, some of the people involved in the Kashmir discovery are respected qualified archaeologists.

The Japan thing is interesting too.

Jesus probably didn't teach in the east like he did in the west, even though there is evidence to show he very well may have gone to the east.

Stookie

Rudolph Steiner explains in a book that Jesus was born a reincarnated Buddha. He says it's when Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist, the Buddha left and The Christ entered Jesus. The reason for this had something to do with the fact that the physical body could live no more than 3 years (I think, it's been a while since I read it) with The Christ on earth.

He goes on to say that the 2nd coming was when Christ returned to the etheric realm in an etheric body in the late 1800's.

I have no way of confirming any of this information myself, I'm just repeating what I've read.

James S

That makes sense if you consider that Buddha too was just a man.
Though they might have been just flesh and blood humans like the rest of us, they were masters - people who knew exactly who and what they were.

It seems one of these masters comes down here every few centuries or so to try and put a bit of sense into us. Clearly the whole mythology built around Jesus that the Christian church brandishes like a stick with a nail in it just goes to show nobody listens much.

:)
James.

Beth

Well I hate to burst everyone's bubble....

BUT....Jesus isn't buried anywhere.  Jesus was a fictional creation modeled after Plato's Philosopher King and enhanced by just about every cultural myth of the greater Mediterranean and Ancient Near Eastern World.  

So ... as long as the bible is being read, Jesus will remain alive and well within the pages of the New Testament!  

Right now I am reading Mary Stewart's "Merlin Trilogy" and up until now I had no idea that Ambrosius was buried under Stonehenge!!!  But I do not need to go digging up the Giant's Dance to 'prove it'; as long as I am reading Mary's book then I must accept that 'fictional fact' or I would no longer be able to enjoy her tale...

Fiction....gotta love it!!

Peace,
Beth
                   --Origen of Alexandria

star

QuoteThe Bible, that is the Torah, is the legacy of Moses. It consists of the books Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. It forms the basis of the Jewish religion, and has remained essentially unchanged since Ezra and Nehamiah "canonized" the Torah in 444 BC. The "New Testament" consists of materials surrounding Jesus (diaries, letters, narratives, pious fabrications, written and oral histories) that survived Catholic editors 400 years later who were motivated by politics and not, as is obvious to anyone free of theological bias, logic. "Translations" of both the Bible and the New Testament are pitifully lacking; Hebrew (Torah), Greek (New Testament), Aramaic and Chaldean (bits of both) are rich, beautiful, poetic languages with myriad hidden meanings and depth. English translations are pale shadows of the originals. The more mystical or universally philosophical overtones were left out altogether, at Nicea, in 325 AD, when any of the [over 150 versions of the Gospel - hence "Heterodoxy'] writings not in line with the council standards were systematically destroyed to favor the mystically vacant and emotionally mean Orthodoxy. This is when four Gospels (and the other New Testament books) were selected and enforced.

http://dim.com/~randl/tcont.htm

Some may find this page slightly informative. The writings of this author mirror some of my own thoughts on the subject.
"How unfortunate for mankind that the Lord is reported by Holy Writ as having said 'Vengeance is mine!' "
Sir Julian Huxley

Beth

Star:

If I may, I would like to warn you about depending too much on such an abbreviated accounting of the bible.  These can be, and in this case is, full of errors.  I will address just a few of them.  

First, Ezra and Nehemiah were fictional characters who only 'canonized the bible' in the story about 'the canonization of the bible'.

Second, the validity of the date 444 bce is totally dependent upon accepting that the fictional story of the exile actually occured. Since there is no historical evidence to support any of the main events of the bible, we must stop accepting some of them, while 'logically' disregarding others.

The premises of biblical context is changing.  What we do know for sure, is that by circa 250 bce there was a collection that is very similar to what we have today, which included a lot more than just the first five books [Torah]. BUT this collection was in Greek.... not Hebrew.  In fact, the evidence is becoming stronger all the time that when the bible was being written, the ancient Jewish people were actually Greek speaking people by birth and by livelihood, regardless of whether they lived in the Mediterranean or the Ancient Near Eastern world.    

Finally, your resource is definately a biased one, and obviously does not have as big a bone to pick with Judaism and they do with Christianity.  They are treating the New Testament as though it did not come from within the same literary tradition as the Torah, and this is an error.  Any fair critique given should be more balanced, because both early Christianity, as well as early Judaism, made many serious mistakes when it came to their use of selected scripture. In fact, despite all of its gross errors and misrepresentations, Christianity can probably be credited to a great extent for the very survival of Judaism, especially throughout those earliest centuries.

This is not an easy topic to address, and that is why pithy posts like the one that you quoted really should be taken as personal opinions, not as a helpful resource.  

Peace,
Beth
                   --Origen of Alexandria

star

Quoteit is not to denigrate the Bible, an amazing compendium of revelation and literature, and one of our only connections to the ancient world. The Bible is a monument of human thought - but alas, the defenders of the New Testament systematically eradicated the competition, to create an illusion that the Theirs was The Great Text.)
The purpose of pointing out contradictions is not to 'disprove the Bible.....

QuoteThe author of this page also freely acknowledges that many derive true healing and spiritual fulfillment from the Bible and even from Christianity; it's all in the intention.

still I want it to be known I'm not trying to cause any trouble with this, I was just trying to be helpful though it seems I just kind of messed up  :?

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I tried :?

my bad
"How unfortunate for mankind that the Lord is reported by Holy Writ as having said 'Vengeance is mine!' "
Sir Julian Huxley

Beth

No Star, you did not mess up. :)   I should apologize if it sounded like I was chastising you personally.  

It is the whole of Western Religion that is 'messed up'.  Two thousand years is a long time for these ancient texts to have been misused for the purposes that they have; between faith and reason, irrationality and logic, religious wars and the rise and fall of nations, and yes, the infinite wisdom contained within, these texts have been through many hands for many different purposes for many centuries now.

I am not a Christian, Jew or Muslim, but I love the bible so much that I have made it a large part of my life's work.  It is a wonderful collection of ancient literature, and I would just like to see it liberated from the oppression of the religions that keep misusing it.

So, please know that I do not want anyone to stop considering what the bible was and is and how it can continue to be a part of our knowledge of the ancient world.  I am just doing my part to help clear up all the confusion and hopefully help provide a new context so that this can occur.

Peace,
Beth
                   --Origen of Alexandria