Scientific Miracles in the holy Quran?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeehad

The Holy Quran is a revelation from God almighty to his prophet Muhammed pbuh. The thing is, during the dark ages where logic and reason had collapsed into a period of corruption, THE QURAN STATES SCIENTIFIC SIGNS which were later on discovered and verified thousands of years later. I ask who could have come up with these? No one except God almighty :)

http://www.freewebs.com/1slam/scienceinthekoran.htm

http://www.freewebs.com/1slam/proofofgodsexistence.htm

Mustardseed

And I say you and the Koran are wrong . In my opinion and experience those who preach the Koran as a fundemental unquestionable truth are bigots and not seeking the TRUTH , but instead trying to convince and controll unstable minds, not unlike certain fundementalists Christians. If you want to debate this issue please be my guest

Regards Mustardseed
Words.....there was a time when I believed in words!

Goober

Mydral

Nastradamus and DaVinci were not Muslims and they also talked about technology (especially Nostradamus) which was not yet invented

I am reading that stuff now... sounds better than the 7 days, but still.. in 1000 years we will find out that someone travelled back in time and wrote it  :-D, joking haha

Look there is just overinterpritation:
"The ejaculated drop"
During that time the culture was male dominant. Everyone saw semen, they linked it to birth... and so since its male dominant society everything comes from the male which means it comes from God.

They just give too much meaning to the words. All over history people correctly assumed things about science and so on before it was prooven. For example weather prediction.
In somnis veritas

Mustardseed

My first argument would go something like this.

If we follow your line of arguments, Muhammad was having a revelation from God because he foresaw certain scientific issues. However he was not the only one who "saw" the future and who did not believe that "the earth was flat". Many folks did.

It is in my opinion illogical to alledge, that just because certain statements,  later to be confirmed as fact, are found in the  pages of the Koran, it is subsequently written by God.

If that was the case anyone who makes statements, not presently understood by the masses, would be another Mohammad. Bill Gates, Einstein, Hawkins etc etc all have made statements later to be confirmed as facts, they would fall in this category.

The ability to forsee the future, then becomes the definition of a Miracle and a subsequent connection to God.

Regards Mustardseed 

Doringo

I don't want to rain on your parade but the idea that a child develops in the womb is not a groundbreaking sceintific discovery..
All men are equal in death.

CFTraveler

Frankly, most of what I read is the modern interpretation of ancient writings, using scientific knowledge as the basis for that understanding.  In other words, it's like saying that when the Bible says "Let there be light" It means that after the big bang when Hydrogen atoms were formed and split into Helium they released photons, so that proves that the biblical account of creation is literally true.
A bit of a stretch, if you ask me.

And btw, who is 'We'?

Mustardseed

Quote from: Jeehad on January 24, 2007, 00:35:47
The Holy Quran is a revelation from God almighty to his prophet Muhammed pbuh. The thing is, during the dark ages where logic and reason had collapsed into a period of corruption, THE QURAN STATES SCIENTIFIC SIGNS which were later on discovered and verified thousands of years later. I ask who could have come up with these? No one except God almighty :)

http://www.freewebs.com/1slam/scienceinthekoran.htm

http://www.freewebs.com/1slam/proofofgodsexistence.htm

My second line of argument is the following. If there is error in the scientific signs you claim the Koran contains, it is subsequently a fallacy. Consider this argument found at Chick publications.

One of the questions which puzzled the ancient Arabs was, "Where did the sun go when night time came?" The Qur'an gave them Allah's answer.

He [i.e. Zul-qarnain] followed, until he reached the setting of the sun. He found it set in a spring of murky water.
(Surah XVIII ( Kahf) vs. 85-86)

We agree with Muslim scholars that Zul-qarnain refers to Alexander the Great (see Yusuf Ali's appendix on this subject in his translation of the Qur'an). According to this surah, Alexander the Great traveled west until he found out what happened to the sun. It went down into and under the murky waters of a pond. When it was completely covered by the water, darkness fell upon the earth.

To the early Muslims, this surah gave the divine answer as to why darkness fell when the sun set in the West. They assumed that the sun, like the moon, was the size perceived by the human eye, about the size of a basketball. Darkness came when with a mighty hissing roar it went down under the dark waters of a pond. They boldly and proudly proclaimed that this marvelous answer proved that the Qur'an was indeed the Word of God.

Today, modern Muslims are quite embarrassed by this passage and try to ignore it or to quickly dismiss it as poetry. But the passage is not part of a poem. Thus it cannot be dismissed as figurative language or poetic license. In the context, it is part of a historical narrative which relates several historical incidences in the life of Alexander the Great.

The mistake was based on the erroneous assumption that the earth was flat. The authors of the Qur'an did not know that the earth was a sphere which revolved around the sun.

The reader must ask himself if he is prepared to believe and to defend the Qur'an in this passage. Either the sun sets in a pond or it doesn't. It is either one way or the other. There can be no middle ground, no compromise, no evading the issue. If you agree with us that the sun is shining on the other side of the earth and thus it does not go down into murky water, then you must also agree with us that the Qur'an contains scientific errors.

"So what?" you ask. "Who cares!" you cry. Only those who are brave enough to seek the truth will care. Those who are intellectually lazy or dishonest will close their eyes and pretend to see nothing.

It only takes one error to disprove the Qur'an. That's right. Just one little error and the whole book goes down in defeat! You have just discovered one irrefutable error in the Qur'an. What are you going to do about it?

The above is found on the internet cut and pasted. It is easily obtained if desired.

Regards Mustardseed

Mustardseed

A few more thoughts..........

The following is a brief list of some of the strange and absurd teachings of Muhammad which I feel are in contradiction with modern science What do YOU think.

1. Adam was 60 cubits tall! (Bukhari vol. IV, no. 543) Then how tall was Eve? If they were that tall, how did we get here?

2. Muhammad was a dog hater. He thought that angels could not enter a house if a dog was there and that black dogs were devils. Thus he ordered dogs to be killed and forbid the selling of dogs. (Bukhari vol- IV, nos. 539, 540; Muslim vol. I, nos. 551, 552; vol. II, nos. 3803, 3829)

3. Satan lives in the nose over night. He can be flushed out if you snort water up and then out the nose. (Bukhari vol. IV, no. 516; Muslim vol. I, no. 462) How big is Satan? Is he in everyone's nose? Is he omnipresent?

4. Muhammad forbade the game of chess! (Muslim vol. IV, no. 5612) This makes no sense to me.

5. People turn into rats, pigs and monkeys. (Bukhari vol. IV, nos. 524, 627; Muslim vol. IV, no. 7135). Abraham's father was turned into an animal (Bukhari vol. IV, no.569)

6. Muslims have one intestine while non-Muslims have seven! (Muslim vol. 111, no. 5113-5115)

7. If you lift up your eyes towards heaven while praying, your eyes will be snatched out! (Muslim vol. III, nos. 862-863)
8. One wing of a fly has poison but the other wing has the antidote to it. (Bukhari vol. IV, no. 537)

9. We should drink camel urine as a medicine. (Bukhari vol. I, no. 234)
10 He was asked to explain why a child will look like one parent as opposed to looking like the other. He claimed that Gabriel came and gave the inspired answer. See Bukhari vol. IV: no. 546. So, we are dealing with revelation and not just his personal opinion. He said that the child will look like which parent reaches his or her sexual climax first. The study of genetics and DNA forever disproves this idea.

Again the above is freely available on the net

Regards Mustardseed

Goober

Quote from: Mustardseed on January 25, 2007, 17:45:59

3. Satan lives in the nose over night. He can be flushed out if you snort water up and then out the nose. (Bukhari vol. IV, no. 516; Muslim vol. I, no. 462) How big is Satan? Is he in everyone's nose? Is he omnipresent?

LOL. That's hilarious, thank you for showing me that.  :lol:

Jeehad

Quote from: Mydral on January 25, 2007, 11:23:14
Nastradamus and DaVinci were not Muslims and they also talked about technology (especially Nostradamus) which was not yet invented

I am reading that stuff now... sounds better than the 7 days, but still.. in 1000 years we will find out that someone travelled back in time and wrote it  :-D, joking haha

Look there is just overinterpritation:
"The ejaculated drop"
During that time the culture was male dominant. Everyone saw semen, they linked it to birth... and so since its male dominant society everything comes from the male which means it comes from God.

They just give too much meaning to the words. All over history people correctly assumed things about science and so on before it was prooven. For example weather prediction.

Actually, If you read the Quran your gonna notice that the egg is also apart of the process. Allah sbwt explains creation step by step. The Quran tells us to treat men and women as equal human beings with equal rights. This was the revolutionary movement of the Islamic era during the time of Muhammed. I read nostradamus's work, rather fascinating indeed. Although, there are errors in his predictions and work, therefore considering him to have had divine intervention is completely false. The Quran remains perfect in any shape way or form. You can argue maybe the Muslims got the information from the greeks or egyptians? But lets be real here, this was during the dark ages where the collapse of civil morals laws was prevalent. And Society itself focused on primitive ways of analyzing the world. Is it really logical that the Arabs traveled on there caravan around the world to put together scientific pieces through "artifacts"? Its possible but is it logical? Also considering the Greeks themselves made MANY errors and so did the Egyptians and Mayans. Why did the Islamic movement truly flourish? The reason is that the Meccan society was overruled with injustices. Women were treated badly, kids were killed needlessly, wine was consumed abruptly, ignorance dominated the social structure of the society. When the revelation came to Muhammed Allah commanded him to preach out against racism,injsutice,slavery,murder. This is is the grass root level in which Islam functions at. So for you to say Islam is racist is absolutely false. Also please keep this thread with actual proof regarding these matters.

Greek errors:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/GreekScience/Students/Ellen/EarlyGkAstronomy.html
Learn about the society:
http://www.freewebs.com/1slam/muhammed.htm

Jeehad

Quote from: CFTraveler on January 25, 2007, 17:24:06
Frankly, most of what I read is the modern interpretation of ancient writings, using scientific knowledge as the basis for that understanding.  In other words, it's like saying that when the Bible says "Let there be light" It means that after the big bang when Hydrogen atoms were formed and split into Helium they released photons, so that proves that the biblical account of creation is literally true.
A bit of a stretch, if you ask me.

And btw, who is 'We'?

You clearly havn't read the verses :P If i create a book 1400 years ago explaining he developmental stages within a baby is very significant especially in precise order ^^ .

In Arabic language We is referred to as someone of higher power just like Vous in french.

Jeehad

Quote from: Mustardseed on January 25, 2007, 17:45:59
A few more thoughts..........

The following is a brief list of some of the strange and absurd teachings of Muhammad which I feel are in contradiction with modern science What do YOU think.

1. Adam was 60 cubits tall! (Bukhari vol. IV, no. 543) Then how tall was Eve? If they were that tall, how did we get here?

2. Muhammad was a dog hater. He thought that angels could not enter a house if a dog was there and that black dogs were devils. Thus he ordered dogs to be killed and forbid the selling of dogs. (Bukhari vol- IV, nos. 539, 540; Muslim vol. I, nos. 551, 552; vol. II, nos. 3803, 3829)

4. Muhammad forbade the game of chess! (Muslim vol. IV, no. 5612) This makes no sense to me.

5. People turn into rats, pigs and monkeys. (Bukhari vol. IV, nos. 524, 627; Muslim vol. IV, no. 7135). Abraham's father was turned into an animal (Bukhari vol. IV, no.569)

6. Muslims have one intestine while non-Muslims have seven! (Muslim vol. 111, no. 5113-5115)

7. If you lift up your eyes towards heaven while praying, your eyes will be snatched out! (Muslim vol. III, nos. 862-863)
8. One wing of a fly has poison but the other wing has the antidote to it. (Bukhari vol. IV, no. 537)

9. We should drink camel urine as a medicine. (Bukhari vol. I, no. 234)
10 He was asked to explain why a child will look like one parent as opposed to looking like the other. He claimed that Gabriel came and gave the inspired answer. See Bukhari vol. IV: no. 546. So, we are dealing with revelation and not just his personal opinion. He said that the child will look like which parent reaches his or her sexual climax first. The study of genetics and DNA forever disproves this idea.

Again the above is freely available on the net

Regards Mustardseed

Lol this amuses me:P Because those are not divine quotes taken from the Quran itself. They are taken from hadiths(the "biography" of muhammed). Muslims believe in specific hadiths which have a chain of narration dated back to reliable sources. Omar bin Khatib once said that if a hadith contradicts the Quran it is completely false. I just wanted to give you a brief introduction upon this matter. Firstly, "Adam was 60 cubits tall! (Bukhari vol. IV, no. 543) Then how tall was Eve? If they were that tall, how did we get here? "

See you expect people to believe in astral projection but yet you find it hard to believe in the sizes of early human beings? To clear this up scientists stated that the first human beings in fact we were VERY large people, natural selection and genetic influences have made that human cope with the surroundings and environment. Note the Quran agrees with Partial evolution which is another miracle in the holy quran. " Muhammad was a dog hater. He thought that angels could not enter a house if a dog was there and that black dogs were devils. Thus he ordered dogs to be killed and forbid the selling of dogs. (Bukhari vol- IV, nos. 539, 540; Muslim vol. I, nos. 551, 552; vol. II, nos. 3803, 3829) " Actually Muhammad wasn't a dog hater.Theres a story that goes he saw a dog which was very thirsty so he went to a well filled up his shoe and gave the dog to drink. Is that really hating on animals?

http://www.submission.org/pets/dogs2.html

Also, Islam teaches us that God created the earth for us and commanded us to treat it with respect for it will testify against us along with all the animals on this earth.

Satan lives in the nose over night. He can be flushed out if you snort water up and then out the nose. (Bukhari vol. IV, no. 516; Muslim vol. I, no. 462)

These are actually Hadiths which are classified as weak.They contradict the Quran and are regarded as false.In fact we see the chain of narration to understand if the hadith itself was originally divine. WE AS MUSLIMS believe in the words of the holy Quran as the 100% true word of God but the hadiths are not regarded as this. Also, alot of the hadiths which you have mentioned ARE NOT THE ACTUAL TRANSLATION. Some don't even say things as close as it really is.

Jeehad

Quote from: Mustardseed on January 25, 2007, 17:33:21
My second line of argument is the following. If there is error in the scientific signs you claim the Koran contains, it is subsequently a fallacy. Consider this argument found at Chick publications.

One of the questions which puzzled the ancient Arabs was, "Where did the sun go when night time came?" The Qur'an gave them Allah's answer.

He [i.e. Zul-qarnain] followed, until he reached the setting of the sun. He found it set in a spring of murky water.
(Surah XVIII ( Kahf) vs. 85-86)

We agree with Muslim scholars that Zul-qarnain refers to Alexander the Great (see Yusuf Ali's appendix on this subject in his translation of the Qur'an). According to this surah, Alexander the Great traveled west until he found out what happened to the sun. It went down into and under the murky waters of a pond. When it was completely covered by the water, darkness fell upon the earth.

To the early Muslims, this surah gave the divine answer as to why darkness fell when the sun set in the West. They assumed that the sun, like the moon, was the size perceived by the human eye, about the size of a basketball. Darkness came when with a mighty hissing roar it went down under the dark waters of a pond. They boldly and proudly proclaimed that this marvelous answer proved that the Qur'an was indeed the Word of God.

Today, modern Muslims are quite embarrassed by this passage and try to ignore it or to quickly dismiss it as poetry. But the passage is not part of a poem. Thus it cannot be dismissed as figurative language or poetic license. In the context, it is part of a historical narrative which relates several historical incidences in the life of Alexander the Great.

The mistake was based on the erroneous assumption that the earth was flat. The authors of the Qur'an did not know that the earth was a sphere which revolved around the sun.

The reader must ask himself if he is prepared to believe and to defend the Qur'an in this passage. Either the sun sets in a pond or it doesn't. It is either one way or the other. There can be no middle ground, no compromise, no evading the issue. If you agree with us that the sun is shining on the other side of the earth and thus it does not go down into murky water, then you must also agree with us that the Qur'an contains scientific errors.

"So what?" you ask. "Who cares!" you cry. Only those who are brave enough to seek the truth will care. Those who are intellectually lazy or dishonest will close their eyes and pretend to see nothing.

It only takes one error to disprove the Qur'an. That's right. Just one little error and the whole book goes down in defeat! You have just discovered one irrefutable error in the Qur'an. What are you going to do about it?

The above is found on the internet cut and pasted. It is easily obtained if desired.

Regards Mustardseed

Please watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTBPUdFhDa8 it explains this "contradiction."

Jeehad

Quote from: Mustardseed on January 25, 2007, 15:43:43
My first argument would go something like this.

If we follow your line of arguments, Muhammad was having a revelation from God because he foresaw certain scientific issues. However he was not the only one who "saw" the future and who did not believe that "the earth was flat". Many folks did.

It is in my opinion illogical to alledge, that just because certain statements,  later to be confirmed as fact, are found in the  pages of the Koran, it is subsequently written by God.

If that was the case anyone who makes statements, not presently understood by the masses, would be another Mohammad. Bill Gates, Einstein, Hawkins etc etc all have made statements later to be confirmed as facts, they would fall in this category.

The ability to forsee the future, then becomes the definition of a Miracle and a subsequent connection to God.

Regards Mustardseed 

Sorry for the huge chain of posts, but i think if all the posts were rammed together into one people would freak out and not read them:P Refer to my first post explaining the scientific history of civilizations, also please note that Mohammad was illiterate he was not learned in science nor could he read or write. So the question is brought up! How could Muhammad have known such things, which is another reason people converted to Islam during this period.

Jeehad

Quote from: Doringo on January 25, 2007, 16:54:11
I don't want to rain on your parade but the idea that a child develops in the womb is not a groundbreaking sceintific discovery..

It seems like you read the VERY first scientific sign then stopped from there :P Let me assure you the Quran states over a Thousand scientific signs. So if its really a guess im assuming Muhammad guessed things over a thousand times correctly? Actually, Child birth was very new to human beings. Unless Muhammad had a microscope or a telescope hidden he couldn't have forged it in the Quran:P The Quran is the divine word of god directly without any human intervention. Take a read you will find it quiet fascinating :)

Goober

In reply to the 60 cubits thing.

I know you all envy my amazing artistic skills.

Yea that's pretty huge, and I forgot to add on the last 20 cubits. That's only forty.

Jeehad

This is taken from a jewish newspaper:

TEL AVIV, ISRAEL - At the recent Israeli colloquium on science and religion, Dr. Shlomi Lesser of Hebrew University, and the Chairman of the Hofesh V'Mada Society (a stalwart for deeply skeptical Israeli scientists), led a heated debate between biologists and ultra-orthodox Rabbis on the origins of life. Many of the spectators, including those of a deeply religious stance, came away with the feeling that the Rabbis had not done very well against their "Epicurean" counterparts.

The hi-light of the evening came when Dr. Lesser engaged in a one-on-one question exchange with Rabbi Dovid Brown of Yeshiva University. At one point Dr. Lesser asked R. Brown how tall the first man was, to which the esteemed Rabbi replied "he was roughly the size of an average man according to chazal [Jewish sages]." From there Dr. Lesser revealed that genetic research has revealed that the human race coming from a single pair of parents is impossible in light of the biological bottle-neck [a term for the strain put on successive generations by inbreeding] they would have to travel through.

"Our research, in conjunction with the research of other respected institutions around the world, has demonstrated that the entire human population descending from a single pair of human ancestors is highly unlikely." stated Dr. Lesser. "It would seem that the traditional view of groups, not individuals, evolving has been corroborated; the only way man could descend from a single pair (rather than from an entire group of transitional hominids) is if the original pair were literally giants in the pre-nutrition age."

As Dr. Lesser pointed out, prior to the breakthroughs in nutrition that took place in the 17th and 18th centuries, genetic evidence revealed that man would have been shrinking if he came from a single human ancestor. His calculations revealed that in order for the human race to reach the state it was in during the 17th century, the "Adam and Eve" story would only be plausible if the first man was 90 feet tall (which is fantastic to say the least). "There is no other way man could traverse the genetic bottleneck" Dr. Lesser again said. "If Adam was the size of any other man according to the learned Rabbis of the Jewish religion, this demonstrates an obvious absurdity to this myth."

http://www.livingislam.org/fiqhi/fiqha_e93.html

Mustardseed

My dear Jeehad

Salam alaykum

It s not my intent to destroy your faith so forgive me if my postings offend you. Do not however expect that your claims will go uncontested in this day and age. This is not the mosque nor are you, in the eyes of the AP posters an authority. Your claims are to most of us ridiculous at the least, and not worthy of serious thought. I am not faulting you for your faith but for your claim that YOUR FAITH CAN BE SCIENTIFICALLY PROVED.

Get a grip my friend. As far as the YOUTUBE clip it is absurd to use a Pakistani speaking man as a proof of anything. Don't you get it.........

Anyway my posts say it all, if you do not agree with the Hadith ........tell me. Is the Hadith an authority or not?

Regards Mustardseed

PS I am well versed in the Koran, not only that but I have lived decades in Muslim contries, under Muslim law, and have fought for your freedom to believe what you believe. Do not however lay claim to all truth under the guise of science. Your faith is just that, a faith, a belief system nothing that can be proven nothing unquestionable. A FAITH thats all

If this does not convince you, and I believe it probably won't google this      koran science debunked

Here is one such hit   http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6713

Jeehad

Quote from: Mustardseed on January 25, 2007, 23:52:12
My dear Jeehad

Salam alaykum

It s not my intent to destroy your faith so forgive me if my postings offend you. Do not however expect that your claims will go uncontested in this day and age. This is not the mosque nor are you, in the eyes of the AP posters an authority. Your claims are to most of us ridiculous at the least, and not worthy of serious thought. I am not faulting you for your faith but for your claim that YOUR FAITH CAN BE SCIENTIFICALLY PROVED.

Get a grip my friend. As far as the YOUTUBE clip it is absurd to use a Pakistani speaking man as a proof of anything. Don't you get it.........

Anyway my posts say it all, if you do not agree with the Hadith ........tell me. Is the Hadith an authority or not?

Regards Mustardseed

PS I am well versed in the Koran, not only that but I have lived decades in Muslim contries, under Muslim law, and have fought for your freedom to believe what you believe. Do not however lay claim to all truth under the guise of science. Your faith is just that, a faith, a belief system nothing that can be proven nothing unquestionable. A FAITH thats all

If this does not convince you, and I believe it probably won't google this      koran science debunked

Here is one such hit   http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6713

Salam ou alakoum, First and foremost I never said I dont believe in the Hadiths. I simply said that I don't beleive in non authentic ones which do not have a reliable source.I asked you to bring up errors in the Holy Quran which we consider as the divien revelation of God almighty. First of all, Please instead of giving me a website full of "scientific errors" i'd rather have you explain them or post them one by one.  The website  with "errors" which you have linked up is absolutely absurd. EVERY one of those errors is a simple misunderstanding of arabic grammer,translation or wording. You post a so called contradiction in the Holy Quran(murky water) and you get angry when I post a youtube link of a doctor explaining the "error," .......... I am simply TELLING YOU and the rest of this community that it is VERY sifnificant that Muhammed predicted Future events, that God placed thousands(not 1 or 2 but THOUSANDs) OF SCIENTIFIC SIGNS, HUNDREDS OF MATHEMATICAL SIGNS, THOUSANDS of historical signs. DEspite all this you assume they were all guesswork? Or mistranlation?  Please I find this a pretty significant phenomenon indeed.

Mustardseed

(Quote)

QURAN AND ALL CREATION IN PAIRS

INTRODUCTION
It is my observation that some Islamists, particularly those who are Western-educated, strive to prove the validity of the Quran through supposed scientific miracles enclosed therein. Typically, they quote 'vague' verses amenable to multiple interpretations and then choose the few interpretations to suit their aims. Some of these are even quite convincing, particularly when articulated by knowledgeable Islamists and where absolute proof is impossible due to the nature of the question.

This article seeks to debunk just one of these claims, which is the claim that Allah created all creatures in pairs, male and female.

Yusuf Ali: And it is He who spread out the earth, and set thereon mountains standing firm and (flowing) rivers: and fruit of every kind He made in pairs, two and two: He draweth the night as a veil o'er the Day. Behold, verily in these things there are signs for those who consider!
Pickthal: And He it is Who spread out the earth and placed therein firm hills and flowing streams, and of all fruits He placed therein two spouses (male and female). He covereth the night with the day. Lo! herein verily are portents for people who take thought.
Shakir: And He it is Who spread the earth and made in it firm mountains and rivers, and of all fruits He has made in it two kinds; He makes the night cover the day; most surely there are signs in this for a people who reflect.
Sher Ali: And HE it is Who spread out the earth and made therein mountains and rivers, and of fruits of every kind HE made therein two sexes. HE causes the night to cover the day. Therein, verily, are Signs for a people who reflect.
Wahuwa allathee madda al-arda wajaAAala feeha rawasiya waanharan wamin kulli alththamarati jaAAala feeha zawjayni ithnayni yughshee allayla alnnahara inna fee thalika laayatin liqawmin yatafakkaroona

Yusuf Ali: Glory to God, Who created in pairs all things that the earth produces, as well as their own (human) kind and (other) things of which they have no knowledge.
Pickthal: Glory be to Him Who created all the sexual pairs, of that which the earth groweth, and of themselves, and of that which they know not!
Shakir: Glory be to Him Who created pairs of all things, of what the earth grows, and of their kind and of what they do not know.
Sher Ali: Holy is HE Who created all things in pairs, of what the earth grows and of themselves, and of what they know not.
Subhana allathee khalaqa al-azwaja kullaha mimma tunbitu al-ardu wamin anfusihim wamimma la yaAAlamoona

043:012
Yusuf Ali: That has created pairs in all things, and has made for you ships and cattle on which ye ride,
Pickthal: He Who created all the pairs, and appointed for you ships and cattle whereupon ye ride.
Shakir: And He Who created pairs of all things, and made for you of the ships and the cattle what you ride on,
Sher Ali: And Who has created pairs of all things, and has made for you ships and cattle whereon you ride,
Waallathee khalaqa al-azwaja kullaha wajaAAala lakum mina alfulki waal-anAAami ma tarkaboona

Yusuf Ali: And of every thing We have created pairs: That ye may receive instruction.
Pickthal: And all things We have created by pairs, that haply ye may reflect.
Shakir: And of everything We have created pairs that you may be mindful.
Sher Ali: And of everything have WE created pairs that you may reflect.
Wamin kulli shay-in khalaqna zawjayni laAAallakum tathakkaroona

Please note that due to the 'richness of the Arabic language' and because Allah made the Quran 'clear and easy to understand', some Islamists may try to argue that at least some of these verses do not convey the message that 'ALL CREATURES' are created in pairs, taking the literal or metaphorical sense whichever and whenever suits them best.

For example, a disingenuous Islamist may claim that verse 13:3 refers only to FRUITS, or that verse 36:36 refers only to things grown from the Earth (i.e. plants). However verses 43:12 and 51:49 make it absolutely clear that Allah created ALL CREATURES in pairs. There is no ambiguity.

I will ignore the following verses, recognizing the possibility of relevance solely to humans. Further, their inclusion does not detract from my arguments.
"That He did create in pairs,- male and female, (The Noble Quran, 53:45)"
"And of him He made two sexes, male and female. (The Noble Quran, 75:39)"
"By (the mystery of) the creation of male and female; (The Noble Quran, 92:3)"

The Islamists Case

http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_1_50/all_things_in_pair.htm

PAIRS IN LIVING THINGS
One of the most recent of all scientific discoveries is that everything in the universe exists in pairs such as male and female among living things. Now we find that rock crystals also have pairs.

The Qur'an says: And of everything We have created pairs: That ye may receive Instruction.

Surah Zariyat, 51: 49 A. Yusuf All in note 5025 item (3) says " All things are in twos: sex in plants and animals, by which one individual is complementary to another; in the subtle forces of nature. Day and Night, positive and negative electricity, forces of attraction and repulsion: and numerous other opposites, each fulfilling its purpose, and contributing to the working of God's Universe; and in the moral and spiritual world. Love and Aversion, Mercy and Justice, Striving and Rest, and so on;-all fulfilling their functions according to the Artistry and wonderful Purpose of God. Everything has its counterpart, or pair, or complement. God alone is One, with none like Him, or needed to complement Him. These are noble things to contemplate. And they lead us to a true understanding of God's Purpose and Message."

http://www.science4islam.com/html/sci-04e.html...we find in the following verse more generalizations where Allah Says; (And of everything we have created pairs, that ye may receive instruction). The word "thing we together with the people who preceded us have understood it to be inclusive to contain humans, plants and animals. Since the Quran has included them all in this verse and told us that all creatures were made up of males and females.

http://www.sunnahonline.com/ilm/quran/qms.pdf
PLANTS CREATED IN PAIRS, MALE AND FEMALE
Previously humans did not know that plants too have male and female gender distinctions. Botany states that every plant has a male and female gender. Even the plants that are unisexual have distinct elements of both male and female. "'And has sent Down water from the sky.' With it have We produced Diverse pairs of plants Each separate from the others." [Al- Qur'aan 20:53]

FRUITS CREATED IN PAIRS, MALE AND FEMALE
"And fruit Of every kind He made In pairs, two and two." [Al-Qur'aan
13:3]
Fruit is the end product of reproduction of the superior plants. The stage
preceding fruit is the flower, which has male and female organs (stamens and ovules). Once pollen has been carried to the flower, they bear fruit, which in turn matures and frees its seed. All fruits therefore imply the existence of male and female organs; a fact that is mentioned in the Qur'aan.
In certain species, fruit can come from non-fertilized flowers (parthenocarpic fruit) e.g. bananas, certain types of pineapple, fig, orange, vine, etc. They also have definite sexual characteristics.

EVERYTHING MADE IN PAIRS
"And of everything We have created pairs." [Al-Qur'aan 51:49]
This refers to things other than humans, animals, plants and fruits. It may also be referring to a phenomenon like electricity in which the atoms consist of negatively – and positively – charged electrons and protons.

"Glory to Allah, Who created In pairs all things that The earth produces,
as well as Their own (human) kind And (other) things of which They
have no knowledge." [Al-Qur'aan 36:36]
The Qur'aan here says that everything is created in pairs, including things that the humans do not know at present and may discover later.

MATTER AND ANTIMATTER
Some Islamists claim the mere existence of antimatter complements to matter, without regard to their relative abundance (matter dominates in our universe after the first second post the Big Bang) proves the validity of the 'creation in pairs' verses, particularly 43:12, 51:49, and especially 36:36 (as in "pairs of things unknown to them"). The 'things unknown to them' part supposedly refers to our modern understanding of particle physics.

The British physicist Paul Dirac, who discovered that matter was created in pairs, won the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1933. This finding, known as "parity," revealed the duality known as matter and antimatter. Antimatter bears the opposite characteristics to matter. For instance, contrary to matter, antimatter electrons are positive and protons negative.

An Islamist making this sort of claim is Osama Abdallah of Answering-Christianity.
http://www.answering-christianity.com/quran/john_wuurt.htm

Rebutting the Islamists Case
The case against the Quran and the Islamists is really very simple. All one has to do is to show that not all creatures are 'created' in pairs. My opinion is that Muhammad, didn't have access to a microscope or a good Level 1 biology textbook. Therefore, he couldn't have known about asexual organisms, parthenogenetic organisms, or hermaphrodites.

It was all too easy for Muhammad to observe male and female humans, camels, dogs, and even devils, jinns, and angels. But as he had no idea about micro-organisms and herpetology he was unaware that he was mistaken in his belief that all creatures came in males and females.

The alternative theses are also interesting: either Allah forgot He created asexual, parthenogenetic, and hermaphroditic organisms; Allah forgot to tell Jibreel; Jibreel didn't listen to Allah; or Jibreel forgot to tell Muhammad.

Given this glaring mistake that all creatures are created in (male-female) pairs it is clear that Muhammad made up the Quran.

1. The Quran leaves out asexual organisms.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dp5/sex1.htm
Asexual reproduction is found in the majority of living organisms, including most plants, protists (e.g. bacteria, protozoans, and unicellular algae and fungi), and many lower invertebrates such as tapeworms.

Other examples of asexual reproductive organisms are hydrae and many lower plants (e.g. ferns). Some organisms are also capable of regeneration, a specialized form of asexual reproduction, for example starfish, polyps, zebrafish, flatworms, newts, and salamanders. Many plants are capable of total regeneration. Among animals, the lower the form, the more capable it is of total regeneration; no vertebrates have this power (except artificially in the lab). Regeneration is closely allied to vegetative reproduction, the formation of a new individual by various parts of the organism not specialized for reproduction. The highest animals that exhibit vegetative reproduction are the colonial tunicates (e.g. sea squirts), which, much like plants, send out runners in the form of stolons, small parts of which form buds that develop into new individuals.

(Note that hydra and jellyfish and many primarily asexual organisms are also capable of sexual reproduction – however many simple organisms like bacterial, yeasts and Fungi Imperfecti are totally asexual).

2. The Quran leaves out hermaphrodites.
Some creatures, including plants, are totally hermaphrodites. For example, sponges, snails, the slug-like sea hare, and some kinds of deep-sea arrow worms are hermaphrodites, that is, they have both sexes in one body.

Some creatures also change their sex during their life-cycles: Quahogs (hard-shell clams) are born and grow up male, but later half of them turn female. Slipper shells and cup and saucer shells do this too; they commence every season as males, but nearly all of them later pass through a phase of ambisexuality and turn into adult females. Some species change sex depending on their environment, such as the marine worm Ophryotrocha, if the portly young females are later underfed they revert back into males again. Some fish can also change sex spontaneously, for example some groupers and guppies.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dp5/sex2.htm#s5

Some Islamists may try to claim that hermaphrodites are actually a male-female pair as both sexes are included in the one organism. It may be that in a population some hermaphrodites act as males while others act as females. This Islamist claim, of course, would be totally dishonest as a hermaphrodite, by definition, is both male and female at once, even if performing one of its sexual functions at the one time.

3. The Quran leaves out parthenogenetic organisms.
Parthenogenesis is a form of reproduction in which the ovum develops into a new individual without fertilization. Natural parthenogenesis has been observed in many lower animals (it is characteristic of the rotifers), especially insects, e.g., the aphid. In many social insects, such as the honeybee and the ant, the unfertilized eggs give rise to the male drones and the fertilized eggs to the female workers and queens.

Note that the aphids, bees and ants are not true parthenogenetic organisms as they are also capable of sexual reproduction.

However, Muhammad apparently didn't know about the 15 species of whiptail lizard (genus Cnemidophorus) that are wholly parthenogenetic, for example Cnemidophorus tigris (Western whiptail) and C. neomexicanus, nor did he know about the Ambystomids, the unisexual hybrid salamanders.

http://members.aol.com/Attic21/CreatureofDay/whip.html

He also didn't know about the Island or Brahminy Blind Snake, Ramphotyphlops braminus, the only parthenogenetic snake in the world which happens to originate from the Pacific Islands (lands unknown to Arabs in Muhammad's time).

4. The Chinese Yin-Yang duality concept.
Islamists claim the Quran's 'creation in pairs' verses, especially 36:36 refers to our modern understanding of matter antimatter complements. Some critics respond by highlighting the relative paucity of antimatter compared to matter, particularly as most antimatter was destroyed in the first second after the Big Bang. http://www.answer-islam.org/earth_in_islam.htm

Nevertheless, some Islamist might claim that the mere fact that antimatter exists proves the Quranic 'creation in pairs' verses to be miraculous as how could a seventh century bandit know about matter antimatter?

Unfortunately for the Islamist polemicists, the ancient Chinese already believed in the duality of all creation. This duality principle is known as 'Yin and Yang', part of the Taoist belief system. The date of origin of the Yin-Yang duality principle is unknown, however all reasonable estimates predate Islam by at least two thousand five hundred years. {Note the Yin-Yang symbol dates back to at least 400BC and was present in ancient Shang Dynasty Bronze but the Yin-Yang principle dated much earlier.}

Quote:
The Yellow Emperor, legendary Chinese emperor and cultural hero ruling from 2698 BC to 2598 BC and considered to be the ancestor of the Han Chinese, said "The principle of Ying and Yang is the foundation of the entire universe. It underlies everything in creation. It brings about the development of parenthood; it is the root and source of life and death...

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~maa1/chi/philos/yinyangsymbol.htm

These quotes about Yin-Yang show that it may be extended to matter antimatter complements:
Quote:
Counterparts and conflicting opposites, they complemented each other in the formation of a creative force whose products were heaven and earth with its fruits. 

http://religion-cults.com/Eastern/Taoism/taoism.htm

Quote:
According to the theoretical physics developed in the twentieth century the principle of Yin Yang and the use of paradox persist; when there is matter there must also be antimatter. 

http://home.iprimus.com.au/btheos/articles/AncientChineseWisdom-1.htm

Thus, it is hardly miraculous for the Quran to claim 'creation in pairs' of all things known and unknown when the ancient Chinese already believed in a remarkably similar duality principle at least two thousand years before Islam.

4. The Rig Veda.

Islamists are not unique among religious polemicists who reinterpret ancient scriptures in the light of modern science. Dr Raja Ram Mohan Roy, a physical scientist, in "VEDIC PHYSICS: Scientific Origin of Hinduism; Golden Egg Publishing" makes such a claim that the Rig Veda already presaged the modern scientific understanding of matter antimatter complements.

http://www.rameshnrao.com/religion-philosophy-re-reading-the-rig-veda.html
http://www.indiastar.com/closepet5.html

Quote:
Thus the contracting universe is "Martanda", the living universe Vivasvana, the first pair of particle and anti-particle (matter and antimatter) are "Yama" and "Manu", the early part of the universe when the surface tension was the most important force constraining the expansion of the universe the battle between these two forces is the immortalized epic battle of Indra and Vrtra.

It is also claimed that the Purusha sukta from Yajuraranayaka (3:13, 33& 34) alluded to antimatter, dark matter and black holes. http://www.sulekha.com/blogs/blogdisplay.aspx?cid=2908

CONCLUSION
Therefore, based on the existence of asexual, hermaphroditic and parthenogenetic organisms, the Quranic verses about Allah creating ALL CREATURES in pairs (male and female) is debunked. The ancient Chinese Yin-Yang duality principle proves that the any spurious Islamist claim of 'creation in pairs' to mean matter antimatter complements to be unremarkable. Besides, some Hindus make similar claims about the Rig-Veda as the Islamists make about the Quran about scriptural allusions to matter and antimatter.

Jeehad

Quote from: Mustardseed on January 28, 2007, 06:59:27
(Quote)

QURAN AND ALL CREATION IN PAIRS

INTRODUCTION
It is my observation that some Islamists, particularly those who are Western-educated, strive to prove the validity of the Quran through supposed scientific miracles enclosed therein. Typically, they quote 'vague' verses amenable to multiple interpretations and then choose the few interpretations to suit their aims. Some of these are even quite convincing, particularly when articulated by knowledgeable Islamists and where absolute proof is impossible due to the nature of the question.

This article seeks to debunk just one of these claims, which is the claim that Allah created all creatures in pairs, male and female.

Yusuf Ali: And it is He who spread out the earth, and set thereon mountains standing firm and (flowing) rivers: and fruit of every kind He made in pairs, two and two: He draweth the night as a veil o'er the Day. Behold, verily in these things there are signs for those who consider!
Pickthal: And He it is Who spread out the earth and placed therein firm hills and flowing streams, and of all fruits He placed therein two spouses (male and female). He covereth the night with the day. Lo! herein verily are portents for people who take thought.
Shakir: And He it is Who spread the earth and made in it firm mountains and rivers, and of all fruits He has made in it two kinds; He makes the night cover the day; most surely there are signs in this for a people who reflect.
Sher Ali: And HE it is Who spread out the earth and made therein mountains and rivers, and of fruits of every kind HE made therein two sexes. HE causes the night to cover the day. Therein, verily, are Signs for a people who reflect.
Wahuwa allathee madda al-arda wajaAAala feeha rawasiya waanharan wamin kulli alththamarati jaAAala feeha zawjayni ithnayni yughshee allayla alnnahara inna fee thalika laayatin liqawmin yatafakkaroona

Yusuf Ali: Glory to God, Who created in pairs all things that the earth produces, as well as their own (human) kind and (other) things of which they have no knowledge.
Pickthal: Glory be to Him Who created all the sexual pairs, of that which the earth groweth, and of themselves, and of that which they know not!
Shakir: Glory be to Him Who created pairs of all things, of what the earth grows, and of their kind and of what they do not know.
Sher Ali: Holy is HE Who created all things in pairs, of what the earth grows and of themselves, and of what they know not.
Subhana allathee khalaqa al-azwaja kullaha mimma tunbitu al-ardu wamin anfusihim wamimma la yaAAlamoona

043:012
Yusuf Ali: That has created pairs in all things, and has made for you ships and cattle on which ye ride,
Pickthal: He Who created all the pairs, and appointed for you ships and cattle whereupon ye ride.
Shakir: And He Who created pairs of all things, and made for you of the ships and the cattle what you ride on,
Sher Ali: And Who has created pairs of all things, and has made for you ships and cattle whereon you ride,
Waallathee khalaqa al-azwaja kullaha wajaAAala lakum mina alfulki waal-anAAami ma tarkaboona

Yusuf Ali: And of every thing We have created pairs: That ye may receive instruction.
Pickthal: And all things We have created by pairs, that haply ye may reflect.
Shakir: And of everything We have created pairs that you may be mindful.
Sher Ali: And of everything have WE created pairs that you may reflect.
Wamin kulli shay-in khalaqna zawjayni laAAallakum tathakkaroona

Please note that due to the 'richness of the Arabic language' and because Allah made the Quran 'clear and easy to understand', some Islamists may try to argue that at least some of these verses do not convey the message that 'ALL CREATURES' are created in pairs, taking the literal or metaphorical sense whichever and whenever suits them best.

For example, a disingenuous Islamist may claim that verse 13:3 refers only to FRUITS, or that verse 36:36 refers only to things grown from the Earth (i.e. plants). However verses 43:12 and 51:49 make it absolutely clear that Allah created ALL CREATURES in pairs. There is no ambiguity.

I will ignore the following verses, recognizing the possibility of relevance solely to humans. Further, their inclusion does not detract from my arguments.
"That He did create in pairs,- male and female, (The Noble Quran, 53:45)"
"And of him He made two sexes, male and female. (The Noble Quran, 75:39)"
"By (the mystery of) the creation of male and female; (The Noble Quran, 92:3)"

The Islamists Case

http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_1_50/all_things_in_pair.htm

PAIRS IN LIVING THINGS
One of the most recent of all scientific discoveries is that everything in the universe exists in pairs such as male and female among living things. Now we find that rock crystals also have pairs.

The Qur'an says: And of everything We have created pairs: That ye may receive Instruction.

Surah Zariyat, 51: 49 A. Yusuf All in note 5025 item (3) says " All things are in twos: sex in plants and animals, by which one individual is complementary to another; in the subtle forces of nature. Day and Night, positive and negative electricity, forces of attraction and repulsion: and numerous other opposites, each fulfilling its purpose, and contributing to the working of God's Universe; and in the moral and spiritual world. Love and Aversion, Mercy and Justice, Striving and Rest, and so on;-all fulfilling their functions according to the Artistry and wonderful Purpose of God. Everything has its counterpart, or pair, or complement. God alone is One, with none like Him, or needed to complement Him. These are noble things to contemplate. And they lead us to a true understanding of God's Purpose and Message."

http://www.science4islam.com/html/sci-04e.html...we find in the following verse more generalizations where Allah Says; (And of everything we have created pairs, that ye may receive instruction). The word "thing we together with the people who preceded us have understood it to be inclusive to contain humans, plants and animals. Since the Quran has included them all in this verse and told us that all creatures were made up of males and females.

http://www.sunnahonline.com/ilm/quran/qms.pdf
PLANTS CREATED IN PAIRS, MALE AND FEMALE
Previously humans did not know that plants too have male and female gender distinctions. Botany states that every plant has a male and female gender. Even the plants that are unisexual have distinct elements of both male and female. "'And has sent Down water from the sky.' With it have We produced Diverse pairs of plants Each separate from the others." [Al- Qur'aan 20:53]

FRUITS CREATED IN PAIRS, MALE AND FEMALE
"And fruit Of every kind He made In pairs, two and two." [Al-Qur'aan
13:3]
Fruit is the end product of reproduction of the superior plants. The stage
preceding fruit is the flower, which has male and female organs (stamens and ovules). Once pollen has been carried to the flower, they bear fruit, which in turn matures and frees its seed. All fruits therefore imply the existence of male and female organs; a fact that is mentioned in the Qur'aan.
In certain species, fruit can come from non-fertilized flowers (parthenocarpic fruit) e.g. bananas, certain types of pineapple, fig, orange, vine, etc. They also have definite sexual characteristics.

EVERYTHING MADE IN PAIRS
"And of everything We have created pairs." [Al-Qur'aan 51:49]
This refers to things other than humans, animals, plants and fruits. It may also be referring to a phenomenon like electricity in which the atoms consist of negatively – and positively – charged electrons and protons.

"Glory to Allah, Who created In pairs all things that The earth produces,
as well as Their own (human) kind And (other) things of which They
have no knowledge." [Al-Qur'aan 36:36]
The Qur'aan here says that everything is created in pairs, including things that the humans do not know at present and may discover later.

MATTER AND ANTIMATTER
Some Islamists claim the mere existence of antimatter complements to matter, without regard to their relative abundance (matter dominates in our universe after the first second post the Big Bang) proves the validity of the 'creation in pairs' verses, particularly 43:12, 51:49, and especially 36:36 (as in "pairs of things unknown to them"). The 'things unknown to them' part supposedly refers to our modern understanding of particle physics.

The British physicist Paul Dirac, who discovered that matter was created in pairs, won the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1933. This finding, known as "parity," revealed the duality known as matter and antimatter. Antimatter bears the opposite characteristics to matter. For instance, contrary to matter, antimatter electrons are positive and protons negative.

An Islamist making this sort of claim is Osama Abdallah of Answering-Christianity.
http://www.answering-christianity.com/quran/john_wuurt.htm

Rebutting the Islamists Case
The case against the Quran and the Islamists is really very simple. All one has to do is to show that not all creatures are 'created' in pairs. My opinion is that Muhammad, didn't have access to a microscope or a good Level 1 biology textbook. Therefore, he couldn't have known about asexual organisms, parthenogenetic organisms, or hermaphrodites.

It was all too easy for Muhammad to observe male and female humans, camels, dogs, and even devils, jinns, and angels. But as he had no idea about micro-organisms and herpetology he was unaware that he was mistaken in his belief that all creatures came in males and females.

The alternative theses are also interesting: either Allah forgot He created asexual, parthenogenetic, and hermaphroditic organisms; Allah forgot to tell Jibreel; Jibreel didn't listen to Allah; or Jibreel forgot to tell Muhammad.

Given this glaring mistake that all creatures are created in (male-female) pairs it is clear that Muhammad made up the Quran.

1. The Quran leaves out asexual organisms.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dp5/sex1.htm
Asexual reproduction is found in the majority of living organisms, including most plants, protists (e.g. bacteria, protozoans, and unicellular algae and fungi), and many lower invertebrates such as tapeworms.

Other examples of asexual reproductive organisms are hydrae and many lower plants (e.g. ferns). Some organisms are also capable of regeneration, a specialized form of asexual reproduction, for example starfish, polyps, zebrafish, flatworms, newts, and salamanders. Many plants are capable of total regeneration. Among animals, the lower the form, the more capable it is of total regeneration; no vertebrates have this power (except artificially in the lab). Regeneration is closely allied to vegetative reproduction, the formation of a new individual by various parts of the organism not specialized for reproduction. The highest animals that exhibit vegetative reproduction are the colonial tunicates (e.g. sea squirts), which, much like plants, send out runners in the form of stolons, small parts of which form buds that develop into new individuals.

(Note that hydra and jellyfish and many primarily asexual organisms are also capable of sexual reproduction – however many simple organisms like bacterial, yeasts and Fungi Imperfecti are totally asexual).

2. The Quran leaves out hermaphrodites.
Some creatures, including plants, are totally hermaphrodites. For example, sponges, snails, the slug-like sea hare, and some kinds of deep-sea arrow worms are hermaphrodites, that is, they have both sexes in one body.

Some creatures also change their sex during their life-cycles: Quahogs (hard-shell clams) are born and grow up male, but later half of them turn female. Slipper shells and cup and saucer shells do this too; they commence every season as males, but nearly all of them later pass through a phase of ambisexuality and turn into adult females. Some species change sex depending on their environment, such as the marine worm Ophryotrocha, if the portly young females are later underfed they revert back into males again. Some fish can also change sex spontaneously, for example some groupers and guppies.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dp5/sex2.htm#s5

Some Islamists may try to claim that hermaphrodites are actually a male-female pair as both sexes are included in the one organism. It may be that in a population some hermaphrodites act as males while others act as females. This Islamist claim, of course, would be totally dishonest as a hermaphrodite, by definition, is both male and female at once, even if performing one of its sexual functions at the one time.

3. The Quran leaves out parthenogenetic organisms.
Parthenogenesis is a form of reproduction in which the ovum develops into a new individual without fertilization. Natural parthenogenesis has been observed in many lower animals (it is characteristic of the rotifers), especially insects, e.g., the aphid. In many social insects, such as the honeybee and the ant, the unfertilized eggs give rise to the male drones and the fertilized eggs to the female workers and queens.

Note that the aphids, bees and ants are not true parthenogenetic organisms as they are also capable of sexual reproduction.

However, Muhammad apparently didn't know about the 15 species of whiptail lizard (genus Cnemidophorus) that are wholly parthenogenetic, for example Cnemidophorus tigris (Western whiptail) and C. neomexicanus, nor did he know about the Ambystomids, the unisexual hybrid salamanders.

http://members.aol.com/Attic21/CreatureofDay/whip.html

He also didn't know about the Island or Brahminy Blind Snake, Ramphotyphlops braminus, the only parthenogenetic snake in the world which happens to originate from the Pacific Islands (lands unknown to Arabs in Muhammad's time).

4. The Chinese Yin-Yang duality concept.
Islamists claim the Quran's 'creation in pairs' verses, especially 36:36 refers to our modern understanding of matter antimatter complements. Some critics respond by highlighting the relative paucity of antimatter compared to matter, particularly as most antimatter was destroyed in the first second after the Big Bang. http://www.answer-islam.org/earth_in_islam.htm

Nevertheless, some Islamist might claim that the mere fact that antimatter exists proves the Quranic 'creation in pairs' verses to be miraculous as how could a seventh century bandit know about matter antimatter?

Unfortunately for the Islamist polemicists, the ancient Chinese already believed in the duality of all creation. This duality principle is known as 'Yin and Yang', part of the Taoist belief system. The date of origin of the Yin-Yang duality principle is unknown, however all reasonable estimates predate Islam by at least two thousand five hundred years. {Note the Yin-Yang symbol dates back to at least 400BC and was present in ancient Shang Dynasty Bronze but the Yin-Yang principle dated much earlier.}

Quote:
The Yellow Emperor, legendary Chinese emperor and cultural hero ruling from 2698 BC to 2598 BC and considered to be the ancestor of the Han Chinese, said "The principle of Ying and Yang is the foundation of the entire universe. It underlies everything in creation. It brings about the development of parenthood; it is the root and source of life and death...

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~maa1/chi/philos/yinyangsymbol.htm

These quotes about Yin-Yang show that it may be extended to matter antimatter complements:
Quote:
Counterparts and conflicting opposites, they complemented each other in the formation of a creative force whose products were heaven and earth with its fruits. 

http://religion-cults.com/Eastern/Taoism/taoism.htm

Quote:
According to the theoretical physics developed in the twentieth century the principle of Yin Yang and the use of paradox persist; when there is matter there must also be antimatter. 

http://home.iprimus.com.au/btheos/articles/AncientChineseWisdom-1.htm

Thus, it is hardly miraculous for the Quran to claim 'creation in pairs' of all things known and unknown when the ancient Chinese already believed in a remarkably similar duality principle at least two thousand years before Islam.

4. The Rig Veda.

Islamists are not unique among religious polemicists who reinterpret ancient scriptures in the light of modern science. Dr Raja Ram Mohan Roy, a physical scientist, in "VEDIC PHYSICS: Scientific Origin of Hinduism; Golden Egg Publishing" makes such a claim that the Rig Veda already presaged the modern scientific understanding of matter antimatter complements.

http://www.rameshnrao.com/religion-philosophy-re-reading-the-rig-veda.html
http://www.indiastar.com/closepet5.html

Quote:
Thus the contracting universe is "Martanda", the living universe Vivasvana, the first pair of particle and anti-particle (matter and antimatter) are "Yama" and "Manu", the early part of the universe when the surface tension was the most important force constraining the expansion of the universe the battle between these two forces is the immortalized epic battle of Indra and Vrtra.

It is also claimed that the Purusha sukta from Yajuraranayaka (3:13, 33& 34) alluded to antimatter, dark matter and black holes. http://www.sulekha.com/blogs/blogdisplay.aspx?cid=2908

CONCLUSION
Therefore, based on the existence of asexual, hermaphroditic and parthenogenetic organisms, the Quranic verses about Allah creating ALL CREATURES in pairs (male and female) is debunked. The ancient Chinese Yin-Yang duality principle proves that the any spurious Islamist claim of 'creation in pairs' to mean matter antimatter complements to be unremarkable. Besides, some Hindus make similar claims about the Rig-Veda as the Islamists make about the Quran about scriptural allusions to matter and antimatter.

Salam ou alakoum, nice attempt to debunk these so called contradictions but after reading them I found it quiet hilarious and rather offensing. First of all, the term used islamists can clearly show you that the writer of the article is inevitably a moron. I will explain each part little by little,excuse me if everything is not explained but I will get to it, remember I have a life to live as well especially considering my gr 11 math exam is tomorow.

Firstly,

Here are three translations of Noble Verse 51:49:

YUSUF ALI: "And of every thing We have created pairs: That ye may receive instruction."

PICKTHAL: "And all things We have created by pairs, that haply ye may reflect."

SHAKIR: "And of everything We have created pairs that you may be mindful."

We know from elementary particle physics that EVERY THING,or EVERYTHING, depending on the translation used, that is visible or invisible to the naked eyes, is made up of matter (or antimatter), which is in turn made up of particles.  We also know that for EVERY TYPE of particle there is an antiparticle.  This is one possible explanation on how "OF every thing" or "OF everything", we get pairs: Particles and antiparticles.

"All things" or "everything" , can be seen as belonging to one those groups: Particles or their corresponding antiparticles, such as a proton and an antiproton (same mass but of opposite electric charge), an electron and a positron (same mass but of opposite electric charge), a neutron and an antineutron, and more recently scientists have known about quarks, and anti-quarks!

Here is a link for a proof of what i am saying (it is quite technical, from Stanford University):

http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/vvc/theory/antiquarks.html   

In the Standard Model of elementary particles, the photon acts as its own antiparticle.   The photon and its antiparticle cancel itself out when phase relations oppose (the wave form is opposite to that of another photon).  Another example of a particle being the same as its antiparticle is the phi meson which consist of the antiquark and the quark.   It is possible that in the future physicists will find new particles.  There is research going on to discover the particles that make up dark matter.  As much as 90%, if not more, of matter is believed to be invisible in the universe.

Another theory called Superstring theory, which incorporates the concept superpartners and supersymmetry, states that every particle has a corresponding partner particle.   In that scenario, for example, the partner particle of the photon would be the photino, the partner particle of the electron would be the selectron, for the quark there would be the squark, and for the graviton (which mediates the force of gravity), there would be the gravitino.

Elementary particles would be made from two type of strings, open or closed.   Physicists theorize that these superpartner particles are much more massive than their partner particles (up to 1,000 GeV (billion electron volts) compare to about 1 GeV for the proton).  This could explain why no supersymmetric particles have been discovered, yet.  Particle accelerators are presently not powerful enough to re-create the conditions that would allow us to produce such particles.  Such conditions are thought to be similar to those which existed just after the Big Bang.   A particle accelerator called Large Hadron Collider is now under construction in Geneva, Switzerland.  It will not be operational until 2005, if everything goes well.  Superpartner particles are also possible candidates for the composition of dark matter.

So, "every thing" or "everything" could refer to "matter"and "antimatter", or particle and their supersymmetric particles, as one possible explanation.  There might be other explanations to this verse that we still have not thought about, or don't know about yet.  Our knowledge today will not be similar to the knowledge we will have in the future.  Of course, scientists, including physicists, are still doing a lot of research, and in the future, God willing, this verse will be fully explained in the light of our then newly acquired knowledge.  Let us remember that in the 7th century, the Glorious Qur'an mentioned the expansion of the universe, a fact that was verified only some 1400 years after the Noble Qur'an was revealed.  So, it could possibly take another 100 years, 1400 years, or maybe more, before this verse is fully understood.

As for gravity, here is an interesting link from Princeton University Press:

http://www.princeton.edu/pr/news/99/q2/0527-gravity.htm   

There is still a lot to learn about the physical world, and to think otherwise is limiting oneself!  I chose a scientific approach to try to explain this verse, and both the Standard Model, and the Superstring theory should not be considered as the only way of understanding this verse.  As I said before, there might be other nonscientific explanation that are not known to us so far, and our scientific knowledge today is limiting our full comprehension of the meaning of this verse from the Glorious Qur'an.

The interpretation of the Qur'an by brother Yusuf Ali is not the ONLY interpretation.   Nowhere in this verse does Allah Almighty say that "pairs" refers to animals or human beings, or other sexual beings, such as plants. 

This verse present no contradictions.  And God, the Most Wise, knows best.  Also, if you do consider the hermaphrodites and other types of species which do not need a partner to reproduce does not mean that god didn't create it in pairs. Where does allah sbwt say, he created ALL MALE SPECIES WITH A FEMALE or vice versa? No he never says this. He says,

"And of everything We have created pairs"

Immediately, we note that there is no mention in the verse of male and female, but of 'pairs'. Moreover, the word 'everything' clearly indicates that God is speaking of everything in the universe and not just species of plants.  So what is this universal arrangement by which everything is created in pairs?

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Contrad/Internal/contexinter.html

This will explain the nature of the Quranic language and how the grammer and things are set up.

Uhhh.. The person who wrote your article(im guessing its from answeringislam :P, clearly has no idea about the ying yang symbols...

Conclusion:
In retrospect your so called contradiction, is mereley a way to twist a quranic verse and imply it as something in which it isn't. Allah simply says he created everything in pairs NOT in sexual pairs or anything as that matter.

Thank you

redblackmask

Sorry for the bump.

The Quran has many scientific miracles in it which Mohammed in the desert could not have possibly known. What is said in the Quran matches the findings of modern Science today.

What you should so is search in Google or Youtube Miracles of the Quran.

AmbientSound

I believe that the right religion will work for the right person. I'm not a fan of any kind of organized religion myself, but I'm not out to stop anyone else from partaking in it. You are free to make your own choices.

Does Islam say anything about orgonite? I can tell you from personal experience that orgonite works, but it is better for you to make or obtain your own pieces and decide for yourself. www.humangiftingproject.com

I recently got a pendant which not only charges me with positive life force energy, but it also facilitates improvement in my health and clears the clutter of my mind. Perhaps the effect is different from person to person, depending on what they need.

Anyway, I would be interested to know what the Quran says about orgonite, if anything.