Al Mohler Fox News Appearance

Previous topic - Next topic

Xernous

Today, I found a story on Dr. Al Mohler appearing on Fox News. I don't really listen much to Fox News, but this really caught my eye when I read about this guy's statements:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200603200013

So, Dr. Mohler stated on national TV that any faith other than Christianity is Satanism? Wow, and I thought that fundamentalist Christians were pretty low in my book already.

I was originally raised a Catholic as a kid, but I left the Church when I was 16 because I just didn't feel like I belonged there, as I started to have differing beliefs at that point. Currently, I do not affiliate myself with organized religion, but I do follow a combination of different Wiccan, Buddhist, and Spiritualist principles. I find it very sad that people like Mohler, Jerry Falwell, and Pat Robertson go about judging others, yet they worship someone who preaches peace and acceptance of other people.

Beth

Thanks Xernous for posting this clip!

First, I must say that Bill O'Reilly actually did a very good job this time of arguing against these evangelist's public denounciations of Islam.  I have seen Bill O. not be so circumspect in the past.

Second, I must echo O'Reilly's charge that these publicly voiced people are putting us all in very grave danger!!!  As far as Homeland Security ranking goes: This Issue Should Be Put On A RED ALERT!

Americans, and especially Christians that don't feel that way, need to stand up and come out against such atrocious rhetoric...NOW...Our lives and the future of this country may very well depend upon it.

~Beth
Become a Critical Thinker!
"Ignorance is the greatest of all sins."
                   --Origen of Alexandria

CFTraveler

This sounds like small (but large to me) is whenever I get an ugly e-mail (you know the kind) instead of deleting it, I reply to it and denounce what I know to be false or inflammatory.  Then I send it to everyone who sent it to me.  It's amazing the responses I've got- most people believe the crap they get from these horrible messages and forward them unthinkingly.  At first I thought I'd lose a few friends, but it turns out a lot of people agree with some of my points, which makes me have more faith in humanity, and has been an exercise in spine-building for me.
It's a small thing, but it stops the flow of hate (or at least interrupts it.)

Xernous

Agreed. I also was very surprised at O'Reilly's reactions on that clip. It's people like Dr. Mohler that make other well-meaning religious people look bad.

At the link I posted, there is a link to email Dr. Mohler. I decided to send him an email telling how offended I feel towards his statements, and his judging others like this is simply absurd and hypocritical. I also welcomed him to email me to debate the points I have made.

I am starting to come to the point that ignorance is a very strong source of negativity in this world.

Beth

Quote from: XernousI am starting to come to the point that ignorance is a very strong source of negativity in this world.

Without doubt Xernous.  

Origen of Alexandria was a 2nd-3rd century Greek Christian theologian/philosopher who had a very different spin on Christianity than did the Roman literalists.  Origen was persecuted as a heretic and his works were banned from the Roman Catholic Church for many centuries.  Ironically, now his works are being acknowledged as the first systematic theology of Christianity, and also that Christianity may well not have ever gotten off the ground without him.

Of course, what Christianity became was NOT Origen's take on the stories...

My signature saying comes from him:  "Ignorance is the greatest of all Sins."

~Beth
                   --Origen of Alexandria

Xernous

Great signature, Beth! We all grow and learn throughout our lives, I guess its a matter of keeping an open mind to the ideas around you. If only people like Mohler would learn to have an open mind......

Maybe he will get a chance to learn later in this life, or his next.  :wink:

I feel that it's going to be interesting to see how this fundamentalism turns out in the future. I'm hoping that people will at least learn to show openness and respect for other faiths. We only fear what we don't understand, right?

Beth

Quote from: Xernous... If only people like Mohler would learn to have an open mind...

Ironically enough, in biblical Semitic, 'Baptist' actually translates to mean 'by having an open mind'!!!

Additionally, 'John' means 'Ionian/Greek' so... 'John the Baptist' actually meant: "an open-minded Greek"!!!  

Yes, I am aware how much the Southern Baptists would seriously protest that fact!!  

Oh well...so much for original meaing... :roll:

Blessings,
~Beth
                   --Origen of Alexandria

cainam_nazier

Oh I think we can safely say that original meaning of things has no place for people like that.  Just look how they portray the bible.