What religion are you?

Previous topic - Next topic

Stillwater

I have basically been deist since I was five, although I did not know the term until a few years ago. As of about 6 years ago, you could basically call me Buddhist, insofar as I believe in the core philosophy, although I do not think some of the auxiliary practices tacted on after the schism of mahayana and theravada are all that important. One of the main aspects that resonates with my deist personality is that you take beliefs one at a time, and accept only what makes sense to you, not what others, even Buddhist figures, proclaim.
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

.UnderINK.

I don't have a solid religion out of the list Beth presented, per se. My beliefs are a mix of agnosticism, spiritualism, and taoism I guess. I don't like to label it, really. I don't think that deeply into my 'religious' affiliation. I concentrate simply on what I believe, which is encompassed in several religions so I can't pinpoint it too much. I believe in the concept of taiji, yin and yang.

Stillwater

Have you read the Dao De Jing (Tao Te Ching) and/or the Zhuangzi?

I can reccomend them highly, especially they Zhuangzi, to any who haven't read them.

The Zhuangzi is the most modern of all ancient Chinese texts in my opinion, posing concepts that weren't current in western philosophy for another 1800 years, like, " Zhunagzi awoke one morning, after having dreamt he was a butterfly fluttering above the forest, and was not able to say whether he was Zhuangzi dreaming he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was Zhuangzi."
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

CFTraveler

Metaphysical Christian- If you've read my posts, you know what it is.
I have been told that it's a form of Panentheism (different from pantheism), or maybe monistic.  Or something close to that.

Enoch

Hmmm not really any religion so many false paths in religion...I would have to say Gnostic,,but thats not a religon or hindu and neither is that.
A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent .

Astir

Agnostic.
But I'm interested in Shamanism.

Gandalf

I suppose I would have to class myself as a pagan:

but as Lord Summerisle says in 'The Wicker Man', "a heathen perhaps, but not an unenlightened one..."
"It is to Scotland that we look for our idea of civilisation." -- Voltaire.

interception

I'm not a big fan of organized religions.

Buddhism is nice though... at the moment I am resonating slightly with some of the ways of Buddhism, but I don't take everything about it as absolute at all.

I am keeping an open mind...

WalkerInTheWoods

Quote from: interception on August 14, 2006, 18:43:29
I'm not a big fan of organized religions.

Buddhism is nice though... at the moment I am resonating slightly with some of the ways of Buddhism, but I don't take everything about it as absolute at all.

I am keeping an open mind...

Isn't that what Buddhism teaches?  :-)
Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

MisterJingo

I used to be Christian, but now I don't feel I need to follow anything. I simply explore and let my beliefs grow from my experiences. I guess any kind of organisation which requires faith in ideas outside of my direct experience makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. I'm too inquisitive to take anothers beliefs as knowns.

slernach

Who has two thumbs and is a Jesus-Freak, this guy!
Yes, I am a Christian.

Mydral

Is believing in a univeral life energy a religion? If not then the only religion I would acctually consider is Buddhism
In somnis veritas

Novice

Like many others who have posted, I'm not a fan of organizated religion. I'm not sure what I call myself.....actually I don't call myself anything!  I guess if I had to label it, I would probably fall in the category Beth called Seeker. I read many religious texts and pick out what resonates with me. I live my life with those beliefs, which are constantly changing and expanding based on the more I read, understand and experience in life. So definately not a static thing!
Reality is what you perceive it to be.

Enoch

Gnostic= Knowledge. I am a seeker of true knowledge. If it includes a religion so be it. religions will be the end of all of us but hey we made um up in the first place so a guess we have to live with it. 
A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent .

Anador

I am a mormon from provo utah... :-D
Are we sleep-walking through our waking state or wake-walking through our dreams?

thesickmoon

Quote from: Anador on September 20, 2006, 01:49:44
I am a mormon from provo utah... :-D

I've got a car with Utah plates. It's also got a sticker from the LDS school of business on it. I live in Texas, and have never been pulled over while driving it. It's been a year and one month now... is there some kinda Utah power over the Texas police?
"Chair-swiveling is an old and honorable avocation for any accomplished and self-respecting villainous personage."
--Ronald D. Moore, March 12, 2005

Anador

ha ha... maybe...

but i too have utah plates and now live in arizona.. and never get pulled over..

But i believe its because of laziness... not magic..

I remember hearing that if a cop gives a ticket to someone that has plates out of state, than they have to fill out a bunch of paperwork and file a bunch of other stuff... therefore, when a cop see's you speed by.. and catches a glimpse of your plate.. he says to himself " ahh crap, i hate paperwork.. i'll let em go and get the next guy"...

Or it could be magical lucky mormon plates...

Who knows :-D

Anador
Are we sleep-walking through our waking state or wake-walking through our dreams?

phantomassassin

well what i believe that there is no god (no offence god believers) because how can someone who did just one thing. plus when u break the 10 commandments you dont get a swarm of locus at you or sumtin wacko like that. i belive in everything has a purpose. god on the other hand does not have a purpose and thus he doesnt exist because he does abosolutly nothing while we do everything. i bet if he was real we wouldnt have as much problems like we do today
i do things unhumanly possible, i strike from the shadows, i leave no trace, i am silent and swift i am a assassin

Enoch

God is everything he is not some immortal being of myth like zues...etc. He is literally everything in existence. The ten commandments are standards to live up to. The only time you will have problems with the ten commandments or the seven deadly sins is after you die. You can tell when your doing things wrong...Everyone can. Dont lie to yourself. Ahhh i forgot you can have problems with your sins in dreams also. Every religion (almost) believes in the one true god. He may be under a differant name in all religions but he still exists. But even satanists believe in god, If they did not it would be foolish. 

Mitch

Quote from: Enoch on September 24, 2006, 21:08:57But even satanists believe in god, If they did not it would be foolish. 

I know a satanist, he doesn't believe in god. They believe that satan is the only god, and that he created us. They don't think he's evil or anything.

Enoch

To each his own. If he were to learn about dreaming he would soon see that balance and harmony exist..( barely sometimes) and if his truth were true we would have ceased to exist long ago.

Mitch

Quote from: Enoch on September 25, 2006, 19:08:36
To each his own. If he were to learn about dreaming he would soon see that balance and harmony exist..( barely sometimes) and if his truth were true we would have ceased to exist long ago.

He visits these forums regularly, or at least used to. He's into Astral Projection as well as satanism. :) He's not negative, because they don't believe satan is.

Enoch

My only point here would be that without GOD there is no astral projection. At least as i see god as being the ALL. But hey we all have a path and as long as belief in spirit continues that is what matters.  :wink: