Workings of Karma?

Previous topic - Next topic

PuRpLe

I was curious to know peoples views on karma, but more specifically on what I am about to say.  I do believe that every action has some consequence, but that doesn't mean I am a believer in karma necessarily.  My curiosity lies here...

Recently I have broken a girls heart.  Simply put she was in love, and I was not, and so I ended it.  In the karma scheme of things I would have to somehow have an experience in which I felt the same pain as her to understand exactly what she was going through.  Well last night I dreamed that I was in love with a girl who thought I was cheating on her so she left me.  I recall pleading and begging and trying to convince her to stay with me because I wasn't cheating, but she was completely closed off.  She listened to every word I had to say but never once faltered, she was done.  I felt crushed, nay, devastated.  Anyone who's had a "feeling dream" knows that the emotions can be intense.  I couldn't tell you who this girl was, someone random I presume, but I loved her a lot.  Is it possible that this is a form of karma, that I have paid my debt because of this dream, or does karma have to occur within the real world?  Obviously breaking up is part of life, but am I doomed to fall in love and get dumped because I was once the dumper?

WalkerInTheWoods

Thinking about these things will drive you crazy and leave you with no clear answer. It is best to not worry about it and just learn from all the things you experience and try to do the best you can.

It depends on whose view of karma you are looking at. Buddhist view only  intention as generating karma and not action alone. They also see the results of karma being able to manifest in any form, in the physical, in dreams, through emotions (like guilt), etc. It also may not manifest within this life.
Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

James S

Would it help you to know that "karma" is originally a Sanskrit word that literally translates as "action".

The simplest way to look at karma (and lets face it, we can seriously overcomplicate things at times, so keeping it simple is often a good thing), is the good old laws of cause and effect.

That's all karma really is - action that creates concequence.

Blessings,
James.