News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Lent

Previous topic - Next topic

Telos

How do you view Lent? Do you have your own special way of practicing it? Do you not like to talk about it?

I never sat well with the concept of "giving something up" for Lent. We went to a Catholic school, so all my friends and I immediately had thoughts like, "yeah, we'll give up going to church for Lent," or "let's give up homework for Lent!" That, and I always found it hypocritical when people gave something up for lent, and then went right back to abusing whatever it was they gave up. What's the use?

Since I don't like the traditional practices of Lent, I tend to see it as a time to declare to yourself, and to your Higher Self, that you will persistently do something different. To alter your lifestyle in some way. To make an impact on your condition. To experiment with discipline. I suppose I see it as a kind of New Years Resolution, but in reverse. Instead of starting the year off on a different note, saying, "this year will be different," you end the year on a different note (in this case, the arbitrary cycle of the Church year) in order to prepare yourself for the next year - for the future (symbolized through the Second Coming), and the next incarnation of you.

From the neurological perspective, I suppose it's like building the myelin sheaths around certain neurons, so that later on you can use them effortlessly, imbuing them into your character.

MJ-12

laiana

I like giving up something for Lent, but for me it is more of a tradition than religious significance.

My mum and I always had fun with it, but back as a  kid then yes it was "IM giving up brussel sprouts!" etc.

I love Easter, I was christened Russian Orthodox and always have fun celebrating Easter with my family (again, more of a tradition than a deep rooted religious significance)

karnautrahl

I'm starting something new instead. I don't have much i need to give up now :-) . Once one quits smoking and other drugs, and starts to deliberately eat healthily, I can't find much else worth worrying over :-).  sex perhaps?
Of course, I'm not religious either so N/A should be my answer..LOL.
May your [insert choice of deity/higher power etc here] guide you and not deceive you!

Colossus999

I like the idea of starting something new. I'm planning on doing it next year, but this year I am giving up my Play Station Two. This is a big sacrifice to me since I generally spend two hours a day on it a day lol :lol: . Anyway, I believe a good purpose of Lent is to give something up and Worship God during the time that you would normally do these things

Colossus999

I also thought of giving up breathing :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: