We are living in exponential times

Previous topic - Next topic

galaxy_storm

Dunno if this vid has been already mentioned here, but I shall post it anyway, there's a deep message in it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY&fmt=18

"By 2013, a supercomputer will be built that exceeds the computational capabilities of the human brain." (my note: IF 2013 is to come)

So what does it all mean? Maybe everything indeed converges to infinity at the year of 2012? :?

Flow...

Stillwater

It is difficult to say what it all means; although some of the statistics they mentioned are in themselves inconsequential (the number of births and honor students in India vs U.S., number of text messages sent annually), the presentation does succintly summarise the the fact that our technological advances are indeed on an exponential curve.

Although many would say that this is a sign of great things to come, I think I would side with those who say we need to develop our humanity before we develop our technology. We are gaining increasingly more power to ellicit great changes to the space around us, and increasingly greater understanding of the functioning of our universe, but if we do not stand back at times, and question our motives, and ask if we are worthy of the power we desire as a species to wield, then any changes we cause will at best tend toward the random, but will be random on an exponentially increasing magnitude.

I think the human race needs to ask itself if it wants to be a force of love in the world, or merely one of entropy. Unfortunately, this kind of introspection only occurs on the eve of disaster, and sometimes not even then.

Simple video, good message  :wink:

Stillwater
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic