News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Music

Previous topic - Next topic

Euphoric Sunrise

I've been playing guitar for nearly 4 years and i have had a few drum lessons, which i'm hoping to start again some time next year [:)]

Oh and i mainly play metal, although i have written one complete jazz song and started another so i'm open to anything really.
"The soul is never silent, but wordless"
* Emperor - The Tongue of Fire

Jeff_Mash

I play a little guitar as well. Mostly my own compositions, but I lean towards the alternative sound.  Lately I've been really enchanted with a musician/singer by the name of Elliot Smith.  If you have never heard his music, I highly recommend you check him out.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=pd_kk_sr_2/002-4559048-0607235?index=music&field-keywords=elliott%20smith

A really troubled soul who wrote some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.  I never heard of him before....until late October 2003, when I found out he killed himself from a self-inflicted stab wound to the chest.  

After hearing that, I became intrigued and decided to check out his music.  Since then, I bought all five of his CD's, and he has since ranked in my top 3 musical artists of all time.  I would be curious if anybody else out there has heard of him, and if they are as moved by his music as I am.

When I get bored, I look up some of the tablature for his songs and teach myself how to play them.
Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash
http://www.mjmmagic.com

clandestino

I'm a guitarist too....though over recent years I've been playing less often.

Favourite music : probably Guided by Voices. Also ....

quote:
A really troubled soul who wrote some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.

Jeff, when I read this, I immediately thought of Nick Drake....I started listening to his stuff a couple of months back; my girlfriend thinks it's a bit too depressing though !
I'll have to give elliot smith a listen.

Arc, are you looking to buy /sell instruments?
I'll Name You The Flame That Cries

jc84corvette

I can play my accoustic pretty well, I make up my own music.

I want to get a Ibanez 6 string electric and a kick butt amp but I don't have money, o well. I REALLY want to play Metallica-Fade to Black and Nothing Else Matters.

If your looking at buying a guitar Arc, don't buy those $150-$300 packages. The guitar is cheap quality and the amp just sucks. So look on sites like www.zzsounds.com and www.musiciansfriend.com but bewear with the last url, I heard most of their guitars are defected, thats why they cost less.

The top electric guitar brands are:
Fender
Gibson(The Les Paul models rock!)
Epiphone
Ibanez

The cheapest one there is Ibanez and its $200, a great starter guitar.

I must warn you. If your thinking about joining a band or making one, get a POWERFULL amp! Don't waste your $100 on a 20 watt Drive amp. Get a two channel Fender or Marshall amp with 50+ watts. Thats enough for "garage" type bands and small gigs at a bar so to speak.

Hope this helps!

Jeff_Mash

quote:
Originally posted by clandestino
Jeff, when I read this, I immediately thought of Nick Drake

Well, if you like Nick Drake, then you will love Elliott Smith.  He is often compared to Drake, since they both wrote beautiful guitar songs with a melancholy, depressing style.

Some of Smith's later stuff is reminiscent of the Beatles, whom I love also.  But listening to Smith's music and knowing he just killed himself makes it even more intriguing for me, since you have to wonder how could something this enchanting come out of someone so deeply disturbed that he ended up stabbing himself in the chest?
Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash

jc84corvette

I wouldn't mind playing drums for a hevy metal band. Have you ever listened to Metallica and listen only to the drums through out the song? I love doing that. Listening to drums through out a song is easy. Listening to a bass through out a song is easy. Same goes for an electric on distortion or not.

Listen to Metallica Untill It Sleeps, it has kick arse drums after each verse :)

lateralus897

Elliott Smith gets the thumbs up, just got some of his stuff, I like it. I'm gonna go out and buy a cd, which would you recommend? But I disagree about the drums for Metallica, not a fan of him or his style.

Anyways, I got my own band, I'm on drums, been playin like 8 yrs i think, we're kinda alternative new metal. We don't like the label "new metal," cuz that infers really straightforward, structured songs, so we're goin a different direction to give people something different.

Nothin for sale, sorry.

Euphoric Sunrise

Elliot Smith isn't my kinda music i have to say. But to each his/her own.

And i agree with lateralus about Lars' drumming for Metallica. My favourite drummer is Sean Reinert (ex Cynic, Death, now Aghora i think).

I'm starting up a band at the moment too. We sort of mix a few different metal styles (death, black, power etc) but we only have two guitarists and a bassist so far [:P]

Jeff_Mash

quote:
Originally posted by lateralus897

Elliott Smith gets the thumbs up, just got some of his stuff, I like it. I'm gonna go out and buy a cd, which would you recommend? But I disagree about the drums for Metallica, not a fan of him or his style.

All his CD's are good....however, the later ones (like "XOR" and "Figure 8") are recorded on a bigger studio budget, and have more instruments worked into the songs.

The order which I bought his CD's in are as follows:

XOR
Figure 8
Elliott Smith
Either/Or
Roman Candle

I listen to all kinds of music, from Marilyn Manson to Mudvayne.  However, Elliott Smith is my new favorite musician because of the depth and beauty of his depressing songs.
Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash

no_leaf_clover

Lars has some technique behind him. I hear a lot of trash talk about him for taking Napster to court, but those decrescendo'ing buzzes that he does, where he slurs them into a stomp on the bass pedal (like at the very end of 'Call of Ktulu' on the S&M album) kill me! They don't sound that hard to do, but they just sound so leet, and he does them perfectly. He has some catchy fills too IMO. He seems to be a lot more musical than a lot of other metal drummers, who just bash the snot out of their bass(es) in like 248th notes. [:P]

I don't sell any instruments, but I've been playing guitar for a few years, and I've been a drummer for a few years longer, but I sort of gave up drumming to dedicate as much time as I could to guitar. One of the few goals I have in life is to become a virtuoso, but I still got a ways to go for that one. I'd like to get more into composition, but I haven't finished any major pieces yet. I'm reading up on forms and counterpoint and whatnot, but a lot of German/Austrian theory is IMO impractical. Personally I can get a lot more entertainment from Copland's 'Rodeo' or Mussorgksy's 'Pictures at an Exhibition' than I can from any of Mozart's works, but maybe that's just me. I don't think theory should dictate a piece, but just act as a guide as to what you may want next, while the actual notation should be more influenced simply by what sounds pleasing or sets the mood you're looking for rather than whether or not it falls into preset 'rules'.

ahhhh... I've rambled off the subject and I don't think I can bring it back, so I'll just go ahead and shut up. Anybody else here listen to much classical?
What is the sound of no leaves cloving?

Euphoric Sunrise

I listen to some classical music every now and then, particularly Brahms. It's not one of my favourite genres of music but there are some pieces that are really good to listen to.

And by the way, there's nothing wrong with drummers who play fast doubel bass [:D] As long as they can back it up with other skills and stuff it can be really cool. I realise many people here might not listen to extreme music, but i use the drummer of Absu as an example. Yes, that's the Sumerian word Absu. The band write a lot about mesopotamian stuff which is cool.

Is anybody into celtic music? I'm going to get my first celtic album very soon. David Arkenstone's "The Celtic Book of Days".
I think it would be cool to try and incorporate a bit of that style into my creations to mix it up a bit.

I was sitting out in my back yard before and it was getting quite dark. It's hot down here at the moment and the cool change had just come through so outside was very nice! And i sat out there and looked at the surrounding nature (my house backs on to a national park, up in the hills) and it was veyr inspiring. I wrote some very nice stuff while sitting out there. Does anybody else have any places like that where they can sit and be inspired to write some stuff?

Sorry for the long post and changing subject a lot, i just love music and i have to talk about it! [:D] [:)] [:P]

Tolvor

I don't play any instruments, though I can appreciate the artistry and power of those who can.  

I also enjoy Celtic music and have quite a large collection of CDs (which Im not selling), but I don't have Arkenstone's CD.  If you are really big into Celtic music you should check out http://www.greenlinnet.com which specializes in hard to find irish/celtic music.

Other than that my tastes run to Rock Opera.  If you can't figure out what that would be, the TransSiberian Orchestra's 'The Carol of the Bells' always plays during Christmas. The best CD that I've seen in a while is 'Luca Turilli-King Of The Nordic Twilight'.  

Just a FYI

Blaze

quote:
Originally posted by Tolvor

Other than that my tastes run to Rock Opera.  If you can't figure out what that would be, the TransSiberian Orchestra's 'The Carol of the Bells' always plays during Christmas. The best CD that I've seen in a while is 'Luca Turilli-King Of The Nordic Twilight'.  

Are you into Savatage? I think they fall into the operatic/symphonic metal genre. They are one of my favorite bands. Nightwish is another good band to check into long those lines. [8D]

Arc

Anyone here play any instruments? anyone  sell any instruments?

I play a little guitar and like alt rock, rock, oldies, and oldies rock