News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Thomas Campbell's work

Previous topic - Next topic

horaciocs

Hi guys. I first heard of Thomas Campbell a few days ago and couldn't help myself from sharing this with everyone. His work is put together in a book called "My Big TOE" (theory of everything, 800 pages trilogy), available on googlebooks and as a pdf on the internet.

He came up with a theory that unifies physics and metaphysics. The book must be a good read, but will take very long to go through. You can watch a few of his lectures on youtube, though, to quickly decide whether he is your man or not.

Big 2-hour lecture at the TMI with spanish subtitles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhv-XCff4_I

Look for his Hawaii seminar also, it's very nice. I felt his work connected with my way of thinking, more so than all other approaches I've attempted. Hope you enjoy his theory.

Horacio.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

I've created a blog of some sort: http://pursuingconscience.blogspot.com/

Stillwater

He is one of the sharper tacks in the field; he was on of the people working at the Monroe institute when they developed their binaural beats sytem.

He has his own minor limitations, such as being stuck on the idea that nothng anyone experiences out of body is a direct literal truth, but rather a metaphor for a possible truth (which may or my not be true), but getting past these tiny hiccups, he has a pretty disciplined approach to the OBE matter, and tries his hand at reasonigh through the data he gathers to a possible metaphsical model of existence.

The thing I think most could appreciate about his work is that it is for the most part very rigorous, with only a few assumptions which I disagree with. He does not take belief or cultural explanations into his work, but he does make the occasional small ungrounded step, so as long as you can recgnize these, there is alot he can share.
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

Xanth

As he says... you don't need to believe or disbelieve him.  Just remain openly skeptical regarding everything.  Try to have your own experiences which support the claims... yet, at the same time, don't be disappointed if you find something different.  :)

It's really the most complete theory out there right now that, just so happens to answer a lot of the questions that today's science hasn't been able to find answers for.  That's the hallmark of a good TOE... it has to provide those answers and not only that, it has to be able to predict the outcome of experiments too.  Which, so far, it has done.

We just need to keep piling on evidential data and eventually, one day, it'll tip the scales.

Xanth

I just wanted to point out something I just found on Tom's own forums.
He's, apparently, well aware of Frank Kepple's notions and ideas... he even commented on them.

http://www.my-big-toe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2589

QuoteJoshM: Granted, your books goes into greater detail but it appears to me that the maps that are given by both of you might be overlapping.

Tom: I did read over Frank's posts -- interesting that he cut up consciousness-space into four areas after declaring that there was no separation within consciousness. Everything he said was driven by genuine experience — Frank is a good explorer. Of course there is overlap -- we (and everyone else) are exploring the same larger reality -- there should be major overlap. The difference is the extent of our experience, the context or structure we place that experience within, and how we communicate that structure to others. Each of these reflect the uniqueness of the explorer — his beliefs and interpretations.

JoshM: I am wondering if his description of what he calls "Focus 4" related to what you are talking about when you talk of the need to go beyond OBEs and go "out of your mind".

Tom: Yes, it is -- that is one description of it. I find his Focus 3 and 4 to be defined rather narrowly. The superset of the larger reality is bigger yet.

JoshM: A description I once read of this place he labeled "Focus 4" was that it felt like you were losing your mind.

Tom: That feeling is only temporary -- until one gets oriented and accustomed to that mode of awareness and existence -- then it becomes much like any other reality frame -- only different.

JoshM: Am I way off base and making a connection where none exists?

Tom: No, you are on target. One reality, many views and perspectives, each necessarily limited and structured by the mind of the beholder.

Tom C

Contenteo

Nice find Xanth,

On that note, What is everyone Else's s view of this theory?

Boom

I listened to his podcast on coast to coast AM. And was amazed by it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gp8RcoX9qQ&feature=BFa&list=PL8C11CB1C35F8C338&index=1

Was really good. A loooong listen but very informative.

Im better at listening than reading books. I thought he presented himself very very well.

Bedeekin

I feel he's on to something. He's still of course prone to belief-centricity when in the 'phase'. His intelligence does lend to it being more accurate than other theories.

CFTraveler

QuoteHe has his own minor limitations, such as being stuck on the idea that nothng anyone experiences out of body is a direct literal truth, but rather a metaphor for a possible truth (which may or my not be true)
I have that idea about life in general.   :lol: