News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Kurt Leland's Ten Levels of Dream Awareness

Previous topic - Next topic

EscapeVelocity

KURT LELAND'S 
                                   TEN LEVELS OF DREAM AWARENESS

(with minor editing by me)

0- No recall whatsoever; not even memory that you had dreamed
                    1- No recall, except that you know you had dreamed
                    2- Memory of disjointed fragments, isolated images or feelings
                    3- You seem to be watching yourself in the dream, but not participating
                    4- You recognize your full participation within the dream
                    5- Dream plots become longer and more involved; more complicated
                    6- Colors and sounds become noticeably more vivid
                    7- You notice the presence of textures, smells and taste
                    8- You are using mental processes characteristic of the waking state:
                       Rational thinking, problem-solving, etc.
                    9- Ability to rationally apply powers of the Dream State: Altering the
                       environment, flying, telekinesis, re-winding the Dream, etc.
                   10- Waking State consciousness fully merges with the Dream State
                       consciousness; you realize fully that you are dreaming

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
                                                          -O. Wilde

EscapeVelocity

Some thoughts about the Ten Levels-

This information is pulled from Kurt Leland's book Otherwhere, which I found incredibly parallel to my own experiences and helpful in clarifying my journey. I recognize that certain writers, their language, their styles, their experiences may not translate or resonate with everyone and so I recommend that if you are interested in Kurt then read a healthy sample of his writings at his website and see if his style and ideas work for you.

Other books by Kurt I can highly recommend are The MultiDimensional Human (which is the natural progression from Otherwhere) and The Unanswered Question, which does a deep-dive comparison of the ideas involved in The Egyptian Book of the Dead and The Tibetan Book of the Dead.

In describing the Ten Levels of Dream Awareness, Leland draws from the lucid dream techniques of Tibetan Dream Yoga and their purpose in activating the higher energy bodies, overcoming the illusion/confusion/glamour of the various PR and NPR worlds in order to enter the Clear Light of Enlightenment. This is a worthy goal, as Leland puts it, but it still only gets one so far; and he has a great insight about this which only personal experience will confirm- and that is Clear Light leads beyond the translatable symbolic images of our experiences into "Knowings" and realizations, which are great, but they are so ephemeral that we are most often left with a 'sense that we learned something' but we just cannot grasp the truth of it because there are no translatable symbols to work with. It seems a worthy discussion and maybe the answer is that both types of experiences are necessary and beneficial.

Leland describes the culmination of the Ten Levels as an "Initiation" type of event, where you experience a dream with all ten aspects realized, though not necessarily in the sequence given. What I realized was my own Initiation event (Talking to the Hand), it was during a later reading of Otherwhere that I thought back and recognized all the aspects of that complicated lucid dream. In Leland's description, he was trying to gain entrance to what he at the time, called Otherwhere...he had been there before, but did not know how to consciously gain entrance; he just knew there was some form of barrier. During this time, Leland was apparently becoming quickly acquainted with the ideas of Theosophy, which mostly ascribes a form of demarcation between the NPR areas of the Astral and Mental Planes. Not to dig too deeply into the complexity of that subject here, I have experienced a similar difficulty and it is only in the last fifteen years or so that I began to fully understand what was required of me and found my personal path which has opened up these worlds for me...I am by no means feeling like an expert at this, but the last ten years have transformed greatly for me...and it really took off when I accomplished what appears to be this Ten Levels test. Leland saw a "Gate" in his Initiation event and knew his goal was to open the Gate into the other world. In my Talking to the Hand LD, at the end I encountered the Formula One driver who was standing within a crowd at a busy, open Gate...I distinctly noticed people freely passing through, back and forth, but I was still caught up in the dream storyline and walked away. The F1 driver symbolized a "Finish Line" for me in more ways than one, but I missed it. For nearly a year, I was convinced that I had ultimately failed the test, but my continuing experiences showed me otherwise...so it does appear that there is some allowance to the process, lol.

My thinking on the preconditions for gaining entrance into Otherwhere, the Upper Astral, the Lower Mental Planes...whatever personal translation table you wish to use, control of one's emotions, especially the sexual urge, Fear and anger, really any out of control, negative or otherwise polluted thinking, is what keeps one from moving 'higher in the Planes'...and I still think that is true...but there appear to be other requirements. I won't delineate them here exactly, you should do Kurt the favor and buy his book, not just for this but the rest of it is very instructive. Some hints- Release of negative emotions, Divine Creation and Order, Ownership and Contribution.

EV

-O. Wilde

LightBeam

Thanks for posting, EV! 9-10 for me happen from time to time. I enter NP through SP more often than through LD.
4-8 occur most often within my dreams.

Here is one interesting thing that happens so rarely for me. I don't know if others experience it. Basically complete loss of perception of time from the moment I close my eyes until I open them upon awakening. The other night I was trying again CE5 contact app inviting ETs to come to my location. Nothing happened, I did not see any flying objects. But that night when I went to bed I closed my eyes to fall asleep and then I remember the next second I am opening my eyes already awake and it is morning time. I did not have the perception that I slept at all or that any time had passed at all. I did not remember any dreams, just in a split second falling asleep and awakening, like the physical time for these 7 hours has been swallowed and I only experienced the point of sleep and the point of awakening without any physical time in between. Very strange feeling. I don't believe I have ever experienced this before.
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."
Captain Jack Sparrow

EscapeVelocity

Yes LB, I've had more than several nights like that; it is like an expanded or longer version of a "Click-out": no memory or sense of the time elapsed. Click-outs seem to involve teaching/healing that occurs at a deeper, maybe subconscious level, so I can only imagine that an all-night Click-out may be a far stronger experience.

Strange and wild stuff indeed!
                                                          -O. Wilde

Erik

From 3 to 8 different times at night, sometimes 9.
I sleep in cycles of about 1,5 - 2 hours with short awakening times.

I'm missing two levels (or sublevels):
- Like 3 but my character not participating at all, like watching a movie (mostly helicopter view)
- Like 4 but I'm not my daily character but someone else. Somewhere in the past/future, being a female etc.

But nice list!

Erik

Tak

Thank you very much Escape Velocity! For the contribution, it's helpful and inspiring. I was reading some of Kurt Leland's experiences on his blog and I really loved it. I like his writing style, it's engaging and fluid, and how at the end he analyzes his own symbolic interpretations of what he has seen. I haven't had time to read them all yet.

The topic of simulations responds very accurately to my personal stage at this moment, and I feel that for the first time I'm being "properly prepared" to explore someday the higher astral, as you suggest, in this matter of first being able to control/understand/heal our deepest emotions and thoughts, limitations and human conditioning, which prevent us from moving freely towards broader areas of consciousness, and what is necessary in the process.

I loved reading Kurt's 2012 post on preparing souls before reincarnation. That reminded me a lot of a hyper-realistic semi-lucid dream I had a few months ago, where I was a little girl in a beautiful forest and I would attend a school with many children. The realism of the dream was surprising, as I could feel the hot sand under my feet in the areas where the sun was shining, but in the shade the sand felt cold, the textures, the smell of the forest and its colors, the peace... everything was wonderful and I wanted to live there forever and in that moment I remembered I had been there many times. The school was a small cabin, but upon entering its proportions were enormous and there were hundreds of children like me and several teachers to assist the different groups. My class was the development of creativity and we had to paint abstract paintings with many different materials. When a teacher approached to me, I was afraid that she would tell me that I was doing it wrong, but on the contrary, with love, she showed me how I could better develop my creative skills and so I did it, it was wonderful! I suppose those are the famous "sleeping classes" of which I already have many in my repertoire, as many members here.

The mention of "Shadow people/Shades" also caught my attention, beings whom I encountered in my first spontaneous forays at the age of 16 before having read anything about the subject and barely understanding what was happening (and recently I saw them). I still don't quite understand who they are, if they were human or not, etc. And from what I read, he talks about that in his books, it would be good to understand a little more, if possible.

And now in relation to the "clicks" it happened to me many years ago, is really disconcerting! Like you say, I think that we are constantly processing new information and learning at a higher level that we are often not aware of. In fact, practicing phasing, I often find myself in a semi-awareness hypnagogic state reading a book and turning the pages while I continue lying in bed, I feel the texture and weight, in general it is about natural sciences. But when I gain full awareness and realized what was happening, poof! I come back here and I don't remember any of the information. 

Do you know if these K.L. books are available in PDF format? Since I only see the option of acquiring them physically. The issue of shipping and customs is quite exhausting, a digital format would be better. In my country they sell the book but they have to order it abroad first, so it's the same. I may not see the option on the page and if it is already digitized. And if not well, just order it by mail!

Enriching information,
Thank you!
.~Exploring the Wonders of Consciousness~.

omcasey

Quote from: LightBeam on November 21, 2023, 20:22:01Thanks for posting, EV! 9-10 for me happen from time to time. I enter NP through SP more often than through LD.
4-8 occur most often within my dreams.

Here is one interesting thing that happens so rarely for me. I don't know if others experience it. Basically complete loss of perception of time from the moment I close my eyes until I open them upon awakening. The other night I was trying again CE5 contact app inviting ETs to come to my location. Nothing happened, I did not see any flying objects. But that night when I went to bed I closed my eyes to fall asleep and then I remember the next second I am opening my eyes already awake and it is morning time. I did not have the perception that I slept at all or that any time had passed at all. I did not remember any dreams, just in a split second falling asleep and awakening, like the physical time for these 7 hours has been swallowed and I only experienced the point of sleep and the point of awakening without any physical time in between. Very strange feeling. I don't believe I have ever experienced this before.

I dream every night, meaning I remember my dreams every night so the instance of such a thing happening stands out like a sore thumb. As it indeed did, when I experienced it twice in a row, immediately before my very first conscious shift out of body. Which, as fate would have it, was an ET contact / abduction. I would say you are on to something with your CE5. I'd even venture to say you did have contact the night you experienced no passing of time. Bringing that data ( ie: experience ) back is not easy, it will not happen until your central nervous system deems you/your body ready to consciously hold it. My body went into shock and stayed that way for 1-2 years. My whole body would shake when I tried to talk about it. This can be seen in my early videos. I often had to sit on my hands. I, myself, was more in awe over the whole thing, but it is not easy for a 3D body to carry. So many adjustments have to be made. <--Understatement of the century. I had no idea until maybe 10 years after it began. This is how long it took to gain perspective ( depth perception ). What a subject! I can only congratulate you for arriving and being so open as to share your journey. Thank you!

LightBeam

Quote from: omcasey on November 22, 2023, 18:49:17I'd even venture to say you did have contact the night you experienced no passing of time.

That was my very first thought when I opened my eyes that morning. And I said "why did you erase my memories, you think I can't handle it lol"
I will continue experimenting with the app and post if anything interesting happens.
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."
Captain Jack Sparrow