CIRCADIAN RHYTHM DISORDER and SEASONAL AFFECT DISORER

Previous topic - Next topic

knucklebrain1970

Hello folks. I've been reading about SAD. Seasonal affect disorder. I notice a dark cloud over my head starting in November when the clocks get screwed up (SET INCORRECTLY :x) and it doesn't end till April or May. I'm talking about low energy and depression for the main part.  Now I've heard of light therapy a while and my wife suggested going to a spa or tanning salon for it. I'm not the salon type however. I live in Massachusetts, the dark cloud state, where the sun does not shine and the dark cloud of death hangs low 8 months out of the year. I'm not lying either. 8 months of ***T weather. I've had it. So I've been researching this on a website Apollo Health that specializes in these lights.

My question is do any of you suffer from SAD as well as do I? Low energy, depression? Every year around April or May, I feel like a new person. 34 years of this now and I'm pretty fed up with it. I'm unable to move either as I have a daughter , 8, who does not live with me. Has anybody ever used these light therapy devices? Do they work? I've taken their Circadian Rhythm test and the results are below. I'm screwed ha? :lol:

Here's the link to take the test. Feel free to post your results on here and any other pertinent information. I can't go through another Winter like this. Any help/guidance is appreciated.

Kevin

https://www.apollohealth.com/apps/circ_assess_survey.html

DELAYED CIRCADIAN RHYTHM DISORDER

According to your score, you have severe Delayed Circadian Rhythm Disorder (DCR). DCR means your body clock is running slower than a normal 24-hour period. Because it is running slow, your body clock is producing the wrong hormones at the wrong time of day. This can cause Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), insomnia and other depressive mood disorders. DCR causes you to have difficulty getting started in the morning, you may feel a bit groggy or down during part of the day, and you may experience a second wind later in the evening. Those with DCR are often referred to as night owls, and find it easier to stay up late at night. Although some DCR sufferers have little trouble falling asleep, almost all have difficulty getting up or getting started in the morning. [][/url]
BUDDHAHOOD - THE END OF SUFFERING

Tyciol

As for the second one, that seems to me a disorder of differing moods throughout the day, not the year.

With you, you're sad for half the year, that's more than just a season :) I'd say it was just that you don't like bad weather, but snow aside, there have still been good days during the bad months and bad days during the good months. Have you felt different on those days? Even if not, it's probably because of a trend buildup of such symptoms, and that you are ruled not by the weather of the day but the weather you dream of having that never comes...

Wouldn't it be cured by learning to enjoy bad weather? Playing in the snow, running through a rainstorm? I try that occasionally, it's fun in a dark gothy sort of way.

knucklebrain1970

It's energy man. It has to do with Energy. Plants emit energy do they not? Sunlight emits energy as well. When the plants aren't green and everything is brown and dull and Grey and void of life, it affects us. This is real. It has nothing to do with snow. I snowmobile. I sled, skate, mountain bike during the winter. It has to do with lack of sunlight and vegetation not emitting lots of energy these months. Yes, I am moderately depressed as well. But that has to do with attitude primarily and I will not become a robot for the big drug companies and walk around being a lifeless shell of a body on Prozac and all the rest of the SH*T that these drug companies shove down peoples throats. People have the ability to fix themselves, but they are asleep and lazy and want a quick fix. There is no external quick fix. Everything is here, on this planet, right in front of you to fix yourself. Can you tell this is a sensitive subject. I just can't stand the Government and Drug companies. All part of the master plan :lol:

Kevin

Bonden

I'm also tired during the winter months, but I think I may have a clue what might mess my circadian rhythm, I absolutely love to have really intense light at the evening and night. I'm going to try to dim down the intensity of the light for some time and see if it gets better.

pod_3

Storm clouds contain solar prana, which precipitation is full of. You may consider your emotional outlook, instead.

If the time you are allowed to sleep closely corresponds to your working hours, that would bring to mind several issues which are not directly related to your rhythms.
Delete this, Major Tom. I will not have any more of my posts removed due to their rebuttal of admittedly anti-Semitic Illuminatists, who have have been referred to with quotes and specific bibliographical information.

Ybom

Kevin,
According to that survey, I have moderate DCR. According to research, and common sense, light therapy doesn't work for everyone.

Besides light therapy, you can try extending your day for a week, meaning you stay up for 3 hours longer each day. This will essentially make you fall asleep 3 hours earlier than when you started, and could help with energy.
I come prepared...with COOKIES! No, you can't have one!

knucklebrain1970

Yeah Bom, I hear you. I'm a bit hesitant about spending $200 on a light. But screw it, if it works great. I can always sell it on Ebay. It seems to be endorsed by some doctors. Not that that means much though. Yes, my bio clock is way messed up. I have tons of energy at 11pm. I hear what your saying, but if I do what you suggested, I'll basically be going to bed at 9pm. Which means 2 hours of MY_TIME after I get home from work at 6. Nothing like having a life ha?

Peace,

Kevin

pod_3

It sounds like you're telling us you want more personal time and are choosing between 2 more hours in bed, 2 more hours under a light, or 2 less hours at work.
Delete this, Major Tom. I will not have any more of my posts removed due to their rebuttal of admittedly anti-Semitic Illuminatists, who have have been referred to with quotes and specific bibliographical information.

knucklebrain1970

Quote from: pod_3It sounds like you're telling us you want more personal time and are choosing between 2 more hours in bed, 2 more hours under a light, or 2 less hours at work.

Yes, I want 2 hours less at work, and 2 hours more to sleep and 2 hours more of MY_TIME :lol: As for the light, you don't spend 2 hours under it. You use it for 20 minutes, 2 times a day. You can have it sit on your desk at work and it supposedly works.

You guys have no idea what your talking about. No offense. I've had this for 34 years. Every time the clocks get set back in the fall, it starts. No energy, depression, etc. It has nothing to do with emotional stuff, outlook etc. Every spring, when the clocks get set forward, I feel like a new person. Now I don't mean exactly when the clocks get set forward/behind, but you get my drift. So are you saying that this light is complete BS?

Kevin

Tom

There are a lot of things I don't tend to bring up here for exactly that reason. Other than Robert Bruce's writings and to some extent Robert Monroe's and Bruce Moen's, there just isn't any common ground. I'm refusing to consider dragonball z as common ground.

pod_3

QuoteYes, I want 2 hours less at work, and 2 hours more to sleep and 2 hours more of MY_TIME As for the light, you don't spend 2 hours under it. You use it for 20 minutes, 2 times a day. You can have it sit on your desk at work and it supposedly works.

Well, speaking figuratively of course. Provided that you have what you need, to have "adjustedness"  is a spiritual endeavor. I would be interested to know what would happen to a SAD sufferer if he went out under daylight, even through clouds, as much as possible after the timechange.  Just as generalization that has nothing to do with specific timing (yes, I know you're supposed to use that light at prescribed times), I feel that you might be paying $200 for something you're supposed to be getting for free.

Some diseases are funny that way. Your innermost desire is some fresh air, and then your body comes up with a disease which requires more sunlight, etc. It is important to think about you. Remember that I did not suggest lifestyle changes but asked what you thought.

What may be easier, if you feel that you just need more light, are full spectrum  "natural" lights from (plant) nurseries and pet stores, which you could just as soon place in your normal fixtures.   savvy shopper could have these bulbs in all the areas he spends time in for that price.

Also, there are many plant substances called adapotgens, which help the body deal with stress. In the way of supplements, an over-the-counter substance called melatonin can help people can get over the transition into daily savings time. It is made naturally in the part of the brain which regulates the body clock and goes for $2 at one of those closeout stores I hate. You could get ultra simple and see if eating Vitamin D rich foods fixes all the symptoms.

You may consider learning consciousness of your energetic body. Whether  the problem originates there or not, SAD could be something you may will yourself out of.

Be happy and be well. Doesn't really matter what any of us think.

knucklebrain1970

Thanks Pod, I appreciate you ideas. As for the Melatonin, I take 3mg at night. Perhaps I should take it a lot earlier. I've been taking it at bed, 11pm and I wake up in a coma. Perhaps one of the reasons I have no energy in the Winter seasons. Interesting what you say about the sun, and even when it's cloudy I can still benefit. I should make a conscious effort to be outside 20 minutes a day. I love the sun and the heat. When it's warm out, I'm the happiest person alive. That said, I'm glad I have my meditation material and energy work to keep me occupied during the Winter months. I realize as well that I could take an advantage of the situation and hike and snowshoe and do other Winter activities, but I am just so burnt out during these months. I spend 2 hour in the car daily to get to my job, where I sit for 9 hours doing absolutely nothing, and I'm not kidding I do absolutely nothing all day. So, I'm doing energy work at work and that helps. I however sometimes wish I was dead because of my job. Yes, I am depressed. It's got a lot worse since this last job. I sit by myself 9 hours a day and interact with nobody. There is just something about the place I work. Bad energy or something. The place just drains me and I have no desire to talk to anyone. I just get a real real bad vibe from this place. Well enough of my bitching and complaining. I have my attack plan for next Winter. This winter has been better than the last as I'm not pacing back and forth in my house biatching about the weather. I use my time wisely now, and will have more to do next Winter. Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Kevin

pod_3

Read my advice in light of the fact that I don't have allopathic medical training, but the proper way to take melatonin would be the one which reestablishes a new set of rythms.  If you are prone to sleep for say 6.5 hours, this would be taken before you want the sleep cycle to begin. You would take enough to where it hits at the proper time for you to be feeling sleepy.  Pay attention to what amount makes you feel sleepy, and how long this takes. If you get headachy, etc. That is when you know you've crossed the line into having too much. (The hormone is technically hallucenogenic, but there is no way you could do that on accident.)

If your ticker would get accustomed to feeling sleepy at the same time every day, you would ideally ween yourself from the supplement rather than being tethered to it for months at a time.

The body clocks of spelunkers', astronauts', and submariners' changes to fit their environment. There is no reason to believe that the system is inflexible.

Daylight carries symbolism about assimilating solar prana. Drudgery can be a feeling of spiritual inertia which can make assimilation of that energy impossible.  Remember that we are talking about feeling all gassed up and peppy. This a state of being in which we are using the maximum we can obtain from the environment. Feeling like you have been crapped on all the time is the exact opposite. The mere presence of that attitude can make you hemorage energy toward everything in life that torments you.

For all I know, the expensive fixture could help. But this is only if you are working in the mode that assimilates it.

daidaluz

HI knucklebrain1970

¡¡¡ Energy work I would say. !!!

Lack of energy is produced because we don't enjoy our environment.

I would bet that you don't like the weather and the environment  you live in ; if that is true, then your energy body is not open to the energies that you need.  Learning to sense , feel , love and enjoy the energies of the local area weather, as well as the energies at work , from the people around , etc is so very important to develop good health , either physical , mental and psychological.

If you can accomplish that you will experience some changes. Give it a serous try.

pod_3

Yes! I am too complicated in explaining the relationship.