Anybody first learned to do spontaneous OBE's before conscious OBE's?

Previous topic - Next topic

PlasmaAstralProjection

First off my definition here of spontaneous OBE here means that one practiced to learn to OBE during the day and then eventually they ended up projecting at night while fully sleep only to wake up in an OBE. Meaning I am not talking about people that didn't practice in this instance. As I feel that if someone is a natural then they shouldn't count.

So at this point I am struggling with the idea that I can consciously astral project. So I just want to know how effective are spontaneous OBE's while learning to project during the day. IDK I feel somewhat inadequate for doing conscious OBE's, like I can't go deep enough to astral project consciously somehow. I will keep practicing regardless though.

So is there anyone here that got their first spontaneous OBE through practicing some techniques while awake?

I would be glad to get a spontaneous OBE or conscious OBE at this point.

I guess I just wonder how effective it is to try to train the subconscious mind to initiate an OBE at night while sleeping.

Xanth

That's the thing about "spontaneous" projections... you don't learn to do them, they're spontaneous.  Most people are introduced to the concept of projections through a spontaneous experience.

What you're talking about is just the effect of consciously increasing the chances of having a projection by training or preparing your consciousness to recognize when you're non-physical.

At this point in my life, most of my projections are spontaneous.  I don't actively practice anymore. 

How "effective" is it?  It's very effective. 
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/2012/02/13/how-to-increase-your-chances-of-having-lucid-awareness-experiences-lucid-dreams/

soki

At the beginning I couldn't get far neither, it only comes with practice...

PlasmaAstralProjection

Anyone else want to chime in?

On a side note I found something that was really encouraging. For those that don't know IAC world is probably the biggest organization that studies and teaches OBE's worldwide. So it's comforting to hear this from them.

uk.iacworld.org/astral-projection-questions-and-answers/

In your experience as an instructor teaching these topics to people of many different nationalities, can you explain to me how to have a successful out of body experience? Can you describe a simple technique?There is no guarantee of success. IAC studies over 40 techniques and depending on our own personal preference we might choose one over the other. What I can say with certainty is that if you learn some techniques and persist for a while in applying them you will come out!

EscapeVelocity

Something to consider-

Both perspectives are necessary to learning the expansiveness and adaptability of our consciousness. The Physical-based perspective tells us that a conscious, controlled exit is the preferred method to learn. But a semi-conscious or subconscious Lucid Dream exit is also very, if not equally, important. The Lucid Dream method requires submitting to the sleep and dream process, then subliminally recognizing and gaining sufficient awareness/lucidity to take control and convert the dream into an OBE and moving on from there. This is advancement from an NP perspective.

Think about which perspective is ultimately more important.

Our consciousness/awareness is, we begin to realize, at least, a two-sided thing: the Physical and the Non-Physical. Any advancement in one is beneficial to the other.

Both need exercise to move forward in greater numbers of dimensions.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
                                                          -O. Wilde

PlasmaAstralProjection

Quote from: Xanth on March 06, 2015, 23:37:47
That's the thing about "spontaneous" projections... you don't learn to do them, they're spontaneous.  Most people are introduced to the concept of projections through a spontaneous experience.

What you're talking about is just the effect of consciously increasing the chances of having a projection by training or preparing your consciousness to recognize when you're non-physical.

At this point in my life, most of my projections are spontaneous.  I don't actively practice anymore. 

How "effective" is it?  It's very effective. 
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/2012/02/13/how-to-increase-your-chances-of-having-lucid-awareness-experiences-lucid-dreams/
Thanks I got to just keep on trying to project.

Kzaal

I think every AP experience is spontaneous in the sense that it almost never goes as planned.
When I started having experiences, I just stumbled upon some information about dreams, read a book about the meaning of dreams when I was like 15 years old.
After that I just searched a little more and understood that you could remember much more from your dreams via Lucid Dreams.
I read a little about LD and eventually, I became aware in my dreams.
It was always spontaneous, some dreams I didn't care about, I'd just get carried away through the story and would forget it after I woke up.
Then I started meditation because I wanted to calm my mind and work on my personality (I had a very bad temper).
And I heard about AP'ing a few years after, just like I did with LD's.
I did my research, tried a few techniques here and there, looked some forums and changed my way of thinking accordingly, to eventually have a successful AP.
But yeah! AP'ing is spontaneous, I mean you can have an experience randomly if you recognize the signs.
You lay down in your bed and suddenly you feel strange sensations that are very different from the normal feelings you get when trying to sleep.
First experience is always surprising tho, I mean, you just try to follow what you learned and you end up there spontaneously and without really knowing what you did exactly.

Yesterday I had an experience and I used the rope technique (And believe me I NEVER use rope technique, it was the first time I actually succeeded AP with it.)
To me it felt very strange because I felt as if I was still awake and my dream was starting up but I reached for multiple ropes at the same time (The ropes had a red/purple color to it and it was very weird they just kept going in multiple directions and I had problems grabbing on to one.) As I was pulling on the rope it felt very different from my other phasing methods because I had to actually pull myself out and I could feel the gravitational pull trying to push me back in my body.
To me this felt very spontaneous, because every time I try AP, I'm never sure if I'll succeed. And when I see the signs I just try to exit with any techniques I can.

Maybe you meant spontaneous as in: when you read all the stuff you can on the techniques, and when you go to bed and it happens by itself. But it's not really like that, it's pretty much always different and you're always being tested for the exit.
You always need to do somewhat be involved with your will of going in AP.
And pushing yourself to have a different experience than a Dream.

To me my experiences are always spontaneous too... Of course not spontaneous as in that I don't prepare. Because my mind is always prepared for projection when I go to bed, but I make sure that it's the right time for projecting. If I feel tired, I won't attempt to do it unless the hardest part is already done. I always make sure my body can handle it... I wouldn't want to go to bed and in the morning feel exhausted because I tried all night long to project, this wouldn't be healthy.
So yeah, it's spontaneous in the sense that when I feel ready for it, I just go for it.

Edit: Maybe just a side note, conscious OBE are much more difficult to my experience, because you need to focus all your thoughts on it and remove the feeling of your body (forget about your body). While when you are already in a Lucid Dream and you attempt to change your lucid dream into an AP, I feel it requires less energy from your part (less focus) because you are already out of your body.
It's hard to dive in straight to your OBE. You go to bed, you close your eyes then you begin the process of calming your mind and focus on it until you see the signs, then you gotta continue until you are 100% sure that you are out, which can be very exhausting. But it's totally worth it tho.
OBE's can feel very different in the sense that you are in almost total control. It's as if you saw the hidden message behind dreams.
To me it's often what it feels like. I always felt that I never see the beginning of a dream, with OBE's I feel as if I can see from where it starts and how dreams are constructed in some kind of way :). Maybe that I'm the creator of that dream or at least that's sometimes what it feels like.
The partial becomes complete; the crooked, straight; the empty,
full; the worn out, new. He whose (desires) are few gets them; he
whose (desires) are many goes astray.

PlasmaAstralProjection

Szaxx

During the day a spontaneous projection is almost impossible if you're limited to say an hour.
A conscious one on the other hand is so easy if you're a little tired. These are set up with no location or environment in mind to complicate things. Only the intent to stay aware and be somewhere other than in this physical world.
Lying down takes a few mins if comfy and sitting in a car in a car park takes a little more intent to work. Creating your own scene is possible but you require a little more active awareness and this reduces the depth of your non physical state. Anything noisy can ruin the attempt and you start again.
No fears, no doubts and a strong desire to get away from this physical world is all you require. This creates enough intent to make the process function almost every time.
I've noticed if you can get things to work by using a strong desire all those itches, rapid heartbeat and annoyances are not perceived at all. This is a 2 min physical to non physical transition or less. Only available through a phasing method once you're familiar with the whole process. You know what's coming so you desire it to appear and your intent to obtain it is very high.
It's still a wanting mindset rather than a demanding or forcing mindset. That's where your desire to experience needs to be set on full power.

If you were crossing a road and saw a car heading your way at 150MPH your desire to run would be at 100%, your intent to move would be on overload as you know instinctively the end result of not doing so.
Get this feeling at your disposal and almost nothing will stop conscious projections. Use that fear or anger like sense of DOING immediate action as if your life depended upon it. It kicks butt.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

lonewolf101

**For the person who started this thread: please read EVERYTHING ,  everyone else can just skip to the Tl;dr below (even though I recommend the same thing)
Hey. I'll tell you my experience. And to answer your question: Yes, I was able to have a spontaneous A.P through practice during the day.

However, for my case, it's a bit different. daytime aside (I usually practice 2-4 times during the time), I practice whenever I wake up in the middle of the night. The spontaneous A.P I had I had at that time was when I fell asleep in the middle of one of my attempts. In a way, you can say that that was a technique it of itself, since some people first fall asleep for a bit, and than wake up in a vibrational state.

I would say that while I was probably able to have this experience because of my constant practice in the day, it's not something that will happen often unless I take the initiative.
That being said, There was a greater benefit to having this Spontaneous A.P experience. And it was the fact that it was an "experience". In the very beginning (myself included. I'm only about a month into this, and I am still working on a solid technique) the only thing that most inexperienced people are able to go by is theory. Since, usually, one has never Astral projected conciously, you would never know the feelings you get from getting from point A to point B. Even if you read about all the sensations, I don't think it will truly sink in unitl you have the experience itself. So that's what I think the benefit of a spontaneous projection is.

The way you worded everything seems like you've already given up on being able to astral project during the day time and are now just hoping to get luck with a spontaneous. being an avid user in a lucid dreaming forum, and browsing through threads on this forum, I can tell you right now that that way of thinking is the bane of most people being able to Astral project.

I don't believe anyone's inadequate in conscious projection. I think the issue lies with both technique and perspective. So, for what it's worth coming from a fellow newbie with some experience, I have some advice.

First is with technique: For practicing during the day, the main thing you should know how to do is meditate. The reason why you seem like it's impossible to have an OBE is because you are probably unable to reach that "trance" state that is pretty easy to hit while attempting at night.
Even though it might seem tedious, and even a waste of your time, I would suggest to practice meditation once for 10 days, or twice for 5 days.Even you want to practice meditation for more than 2 times in one day, make sure you keep it consistent for a at least 5 days. I don't want to make this posot really long by telling you a technique that works for me, but I will tell you that you should find a meditation technique that works with both quieting the mind and focus on one thing (say your breathing, or visualizing going down a ladder). If you do this for atleast 5 days, and separately from astral projection practice (the main goal is just to practice your body to get into a trance whenever you want during the day time.)
you should be able to see results and be able to notice shifts between your conciousness (like being able to notice when you're moving from alpha to theta brain waves.)
One more thing, in regards to technique: Consistency! It doesn't matter if you practice everyday, if you change up your technique all of the time without giving one a chance to prosper, you will never be able to progress on any of them. It's like being the jack of all trades, but in this case you just "know" of all the techniques, but not "good" in any of them.

The second thing is Perspective: I also saw this a lot with the people in the dreamviews forum. There always seemed to be a divided population of people in a forum such as this: The small minority of people who quickly learn how to project and post their experience and technique for others to learn from, and the MAJORITY of people who will go months and months (and even years!) trying, but not really going anywhere. It's a really unfortunate loop to get into. I now because I was in that loop during my lucid dreaming endeavors. And it just continues because the majority of people are on the same boat, and since you see more posts by people saying "still havent astral projected yet" or "maybe I'm just not cut out for A.P" it also brings your motivation down as well. 
So that's why perspective is a REALLY BIG thing. I think there's 2 ways you can go about doing this (or you can do both for more effectiveness): 1, you can stop seeing yourself as the majority (those who are consistently not seeing any results) and start seeing yourself as the minority (those who look at each session as an experience with results. Those who learn from each experience). 2, To leave the forums all together and don't return until you have enough confidence in a particular technique and you'd gather experience and a foundation.
The first option works wonders. I started practicing astral projection a little under a month ago, and I was able to project (more or less) once. That was because I didn't beat myself up everytime I had an unsuccesful OBE attempt. Because even if I didnt AP, I worked with my focus, and I realized that I was able to focus more than my last session.
The second option is probably the best (But might be a bit hard for those who's been on the forums for a long time). I know that the people who post negative posts don't post it to bring others down (but instead post seeking answers). However, they are usually asking from a "I'm hopeless, this is impossible/hard for me" mindset. I know this for a fact that this also affects any newcomers, or anyone who's being trying to attempt OBE's without any real results. And from there, they kind of feed on eachother's failed attempt. I can tell you right now that if you go and read the recent forum posts, a good chunk of them are about how they've been trying this for a while without and results.
So I suggest to take a break from this forum (and mostly all astral projection related forums) until you gather up your confidence and foundations. It might seem hard, since it will feel like you're now doing this alone in the truest sense. But every coin has 2 sides: yes you'll be fully alone, but now you wont have others holding you back to your full potential. And plus I'm almost sure that you have enough information on the numerous amounts of techniques to get you Astral, so you arent clueless. Now it's time to get some experience! That's exactly what I did. Learning from my last my experience with forums (with lucid dreaming), I decided to first detach myself from this astralpulse community until I racked up some experience and wasn't pulled down by any limiting belief. Now, I can say with confidence that I will be able to Astral project in less than a few days (if not today) and I'll be able to do it at will, anytime during the day by the end of this week.
I know this is true, not because I consider myself a prodigy, but because I didn't hold myself down to limiting beliefs. Also because I only used other people's experience as reference, but ultimately put MY experience above all else.

I think I'll end the post here, since I don't want it to be any longer than it already is.

tl;dr

- Focus on meditation and being able to enter a trance
-Find a technique and stick with it for atleast 5 days
-Take a break from the forums until you've gathered enough experience/confidence on your belt to not be swayed by the limiting beliefs of others.

I know I didn't directly answer your question, but I think there is, at least, a little bit of value to my posts (and others, of course).

PlasmaAstralProjection

Thanks lonewolf and Szaxx. Luckily I am already pretty proficient at meditating. I did end up giving up for a while since I did this post. But that is normal for me as I tend to do that with almost everything I get into. But I always come back to what I was doing. And that is the most important thing. I will try to astral project again today.

I noticed that I could practice meditation and quit for a while then get back into it and almost pick up right where I left off at, so I am assuming that astral projection is the same way for me.

Other than that I tend to believe that belief will only take one so far. The main thing is just doing the exercises.

In any event I will continue my astral projection practice. I did notice that after practicing astral projection for a while that I did get into a deep lucid dream state with vibrations like I never felt before. So I am hoping I can get that same type of effect through practice again.

soki

One day or another by trying you'll figure out the whole process. After you get it once from the waking state it's easier to do. It took me a long time before I understood everything I was doing wrong even if the answers were always there. Keep on trying and you'll succeed for sure!

Lucidityman

Hi

*raises hand..me*..   would float at night over my bed and look down upon myself sleeping. Never thought anything about it. Then one day I asked a guy on the internet and said why do I float over my bed at night.? I can see perfectly with both eyes. He laughed and gave me a link to a website.. then a whole new world and belief in life opened up for me.  The best obe's were the ones that you had spontniouse because you had no refence point of what to expect next or how it happened. Once you try and induce the same experience at night throught breathing and s/p..relaxing.. it gets harder, but the reward is better.

I guess I have always been lucky in life, or that concusion I got in grade 5 damaged my brain. LOL

Blazewind

I have certainly had what fits the OP's definition of spontaneous experiences one a few occasions.  One, oddly enough was actually partly confirmed after the fact.  Always from a sleeping state too.  I have actually had a few really neat experiences, but sadly I don't tend to consider them true successes.  I have never projected with full intention and and from a non-dreaming state.  A fully conscious remains a goal of mine, but I do see a link between intending to do so, an openness to the idea and a tendency to project spontaneously from dreams, ect.  By trying to do so, consciously or not, we certainly gave our minds a great suggestion and surely the mind is happy to take us up on it.    It;s my belief that the human consciousness wants to do such things anyway, and if we basically give it permission, well them of course off it goes.