What is the best time during sleep to project?

Previous topic - Next topic

Gummage

If you are trying to gain some sort of moment to project during sleep maybe through a lucid dream or whatever, what is the best time to attempt to project? is it better the deeper the sleep the better for OBE chances or the lighter your sleeping the better?

light487

We sleep in multiple cycles, from the research that I have read these cycles last 90mins each. This is of course means that you've already fallen asleep and after 90mins (1.5hrs) you complete the first cycle, after 3 hours (180mins), you would have completed 2 sleep cycles. From other things I have read, the best time to attempt projections is after one of these cycles.. but you also need to feel rested as well. Some people need more cycles than others to have a feeling of being rested. It has also been proposed that waking up at the end of a cycle, gives a feeling of "completeness" to a sleep, whereas being woken up during a cycle can make you feel still tired and groggy despite the amount of cycles you've slept already.

From still other things I have read, generally around 3 to 4 cycles (4.5 to 6 hours) is the ideal amount of time.. but this is of course for conscious attempts rather than during a dream (lucid dream) state.

AstralBeginnings

Like light487 says, its best to attempt after a complete cycle - in fact you actually normally wake up after a cycle very briefly but you arent aware of it.

Now, there are 2 main things which I have tried.  I read many places that the best time to attempt any wake induced LD or AP is in the early morning after you are rested.  This is because as you progress through the night, the % of each sleep cycle that is "deep sleep" decreases.  For example, the first cycle of the night will be mainly deep sleep and as you get through to the morning, the cycles will be mainly REM (which is when you dream).  So therefore, people suggest attempting in the early morning so you dont enter deep sleep but take advantage of the REM/Dream and move directly into it (WILD or Phasing).  HOWEVER...

I find that when I try to do anything in the mornings, I am too awake to stay still.  While staying still is not a pre-requisite of attempting a WILD/Phasing (in fact some people suggest getting up and moving around first - however this makes everything impossible for me) I prefer the method of staying still and then transitioning from there.  If I try to stay still in the early hours I am too restless and have to move around which for me personally ruins the attempt.  

I have had the most success when waking up directly after the first cycle.  Granted, this did not result in a WILD or a Phasing but it resulted in me being able to remain still but also conscious which immediately has me vibrating and exiting - literally within 5-10 seconds.  

So I would say if you want to WILD or Phase (practically the same thing) I would suggest early morning when you can move directly (and hopefully consciously) into a dream state during REM.  If you find WILD or Phasing too hard at the moment (as I do) I would suggest auto-programming yourself to wake after the first or 2nd cycle and remain completely still with your eyes closed.  Every single time I have managed to do this, I have had an OBE within seconds.  Its just hard not to move!
My Blog about my AP progression from almost day 1
http://astralbeginnings.com

light487

Can you explain your process/method for programming yourself to wake after the first cycle, in detail?

I understand the theory but I don't understand how to "do" it :)

AstralBeginnings

It is literally just affirmations to myself as I go to sleep.  I say to myself (sometimes out loud if my wife isnt about :) ) "I will wake up 3 hours after I fall asleep" - I repeat this a few times and then just go to sleep trying to remember my intention as I fall asleep.

This used to work for me 80% of the time I guess, now its very rare - but I have only just restarted my practices.

My Blog about my AP progression from almost day 1
http://astralbeginnings.com

blis

Quote from: light487 on September 15, 2011, 18:46:17
Can you explain your process/method for programming yourself to wake after the first cycle, in detail?

I understand the theory but I don't understand how to "do" it :)

Try and convince yourself that it's important you wake up. Try and feel the emotion like when you've got something important in the morning that you absolutely cant sleep in for.

Xanth

Quote from: blis on September 17, 2011, 12:18:16
Try and convince yourself that it's important you wake up. Try and feel the emotion like when you've got something important in the morning that you absolutely cant sleep in for.
That's the very idea behind "placing your Intent".

astralp

I have always had trouble sleeping so I wake up through the night all the time on my own.  But I would say if you wake up early in the morning, try to project then.  The reason is because your body is already so relaxed and used to the sleep feeling that its a lot easier to put your body back in sleep mode while keeping your consciousness awake. 
"turf off your mind relax and float down stream.  it is not dying."-The Beatles