News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Eating Habits effecting Spirituality

Previous topic - Next topic

Beneath_the_Roses

I've recently become vegetarian for various reasons...one of them being the idea that getting the unhealthy fat/cholesteral of animals out of my body it will somehow help me move along with my spirituality. I'm convinced it will help me obe more often for example. What are your thoughts on this?
Sleep is the result of caffiene deficiency.

Stookie

It's too hard to tell. It's known that subconscious thoughts affect OBE's, so if you THINK that it's going to help, it might, but not necessarily for the reason you think. You assume it will help so it does.

But it might... I'm too much of a meat eater to try.

wow_nonamesleft

As long as you have a balanced diet. 8-)

If you think food will effect your spirtuality then maybe learn more about food and get a deeper understanding overall, then try to see how the two go together.  A simple example-
If you eat easily digestable foods then you will probably be able to meditate easier and longer.
or-
Eating healthier may give you more energy overall and maybe help you to be able to astral project easier, see aruas, or whatever.

I'm not saying those examples are true, but just be aware of things like that.

Don't forget to drink alot of water.

cavernstoy

From my experience, it does help. 

I beleive the healthier your body is, the better your spirit can function.

The adrenaline from meat causes hormonal imballances leading to a non-meditative state.

Meat (especially red meat) hurts circulation, killing mental clarity

?karma?

I'm not really sure, but I would asume it has something to do with health, mental clarity, or spiritual innocence

Cavernstoy
Confusion separates us...and division teaches us that unity is the only truth.

Stookie

I ate a pizza-philly cheese steak on Saturday and had a nice deep meditation on Sunday morning. If I had to give one of them up...

...that's a tough one. Both meat and alcohol are parts of my regular diet. I'm not promoting either, but they don't seem to interfere with my non-physical explorations. (I don't consume either before an attempt though.)

I agree with wow about balance. I do eat fairly balanced most of the time and get good cardio and lift weights. Working out actually seems to have a greater effect on me. I think maintaining a balance in your life is more important than living uncomfortably. Meaning I couldn't go vegetarian very easily.

cavernstoy

Quote from: Stookie on December 03, 2007, 15:50:37
I ate a pizza-philly cheese steak on Saturday and had a nice deep meditation on Sunday morning. If I had to give one of them up...

...that's a tough one. Both meat and alcohol are parts of my regular diet. I'm not promoting either, but they don't seem to interfere with my non-physical explorations. (I don't consume either before an attempt though.)

I mean long term effects, like a month of vegetarianism will increase your mental clarity.

QuoteI do eat fairly balanced most of the time and get good cardio and lift weights. Working out actually seems to have a greater effect on me. I think maintaining a balance in your life is more important than living uncomfortably. Meaning I couldn't go vegetarian very easily.

Okay, change can be harsh at first, but with any addiction, comfort is the result of the release.

However, vegetarianism is just the begining of reform, and if done incorrectly, can be just as bad or worse than a carnivorous diet. 

If you truely want to utilize health to your spiritual advantage, stopping eating cooked food.

Cavernstoy

Beneath_the_Roses

Quote from: cavernstoy on December 03, 2007, 17:55:29
However, vegetarianism is just the begining of reform, and if done incorrectly, can be just as bad or worse than a carnivorous diet. 

Cavernstoy

How so?

And thank you all for your responses :)
Sleep is the result of caffiene deficiency.

wow_nonamesleft

I think what he may mean is that being a vegetarian you can end up being deficient in a certain vitamin or mineral(as well as other diets).  My cousin went vegetarian for awhile and ended up being deficient in Iron(IDA). This is a reason to have a balanced diet, just be sure you get what your body needs.

cavernstoy

If you choose to over eat white flower products, processed foods, and "MSG" burgers as a compensation for meat, you may do more harm than good for yourself.

cavernstoy

I have to specify that all heat processed animal produce are detrimental to health.  When I use the word vegetarian, I (for the most part) mean vegan.  The only healthy animal produce are raw goat's milk (humanely raised of course), raw wild crafted honey (humanely harvested of course), and I guess raw bugs (umm, ya).

Cavernstoy

Old Dood

Quote from: cavernstoy on December 03, 2007, 15:15:09
From my experience, it does help. 

I beleive the healthier your body is, the better your spirit can function.

The adrenaline from meat causes hormonal imballances leading to a non-meditative state.

Meat (especially red meat) hurts circulation, killing mental clarity

?karma?

I'm not really sure, but I would asume it has something to do with health, mental clarity, or spiritual innocence

Cavernstoy

We eat meat.  Not near as heavily as we use to. I firmly believe in moderation is the key.
Also taking your vitamins. I have had thyroid problems as of late (again) and my vitamin D was super low.
Once I started taking a prescribed dose once a week(50K units) I started feeling better and I have more clarity.

I also make a mean MeatLoaf and winter time is perfect for meatloaf and meatloaf sandwiches. :D
Time will Tell...
MY SPECIAL PURPOSE

Novice

I think everyone is different. You need to do what's best for you and your body. The problem is, no one can tell you what that is except for you.

I've eaten meat most of my life and never had a health related issue. I went vegetarian about 5-6 years ago. It wasn't a conscious effort or my part. Rather, within a year of doing yoga and meditating, I simply found myself repulsed by meat. Once I noticed the feeling, I found myself a complete vegetarian in a month. I've been that way ever since.

This past year I started trying veganism out. Mainly because I had become lactose intolerant after my first child was born (still don't know what the correlation is there). I feel much better with those diet changes, but they came about because I listened to my body. It wasn't forced on me.

So if you enjoy meat and are only considering vegetarianism for 'guilt' reasons, I would suspect you won't do well. You need to want to live that way willingly, not because you *think* you should. I would recommend keeping meat, especially red meat, to a bare minimum and make sure you eat plenty of frutis and veggies. Maybe try going vegetarian for one month. See how the lifestyle suits you. See how you feel afterwards. If you feel better and like the changes, then keep it. If not, go back to adding meat into your diet.

Like everything else in life, there is no right or wrong. There is only what you do. So make sure you do it for the 'right' reasons!   (intentional pun there).  :wink:
Reality is what you perceive it to be.

Stookie

Astir

I believe it is different for each individual.

Everyone in my family lives healthy lives into their 90's eating meat (eating anything really), drinking, smoking. The "rules" don't seem to apply. I do eat meat regularly now, and I'm an incredibly sensitive and intuitive person. What you believe will help will help. And what you believe will hurt...will actually hurt you. And that's all there is to it.

You cause more than you'd think.

Stookie

I like that theory. I'm about to go get a double cheeseburger for lunch, so right now I'm believing it will help tremendously. Boy I'm hungry, and no guilt! And another OBE tonight! Hooray for cheeseburgers!

It's true. But I also work out and will be eating more healthy meals over the next few days. You have to balance it out.

Neil Templar

I've always been a meat lover.
I've been meditating for the past year or so,getting into OBE etc..and recently have found myself wanting to have more "veggie"days-ie-whole days without any meat-i try to have 4 per week.then just the other day-to my horror!!!-i put a piece of meat in my mouth and for the first time in my life,felt a feeling of revulsion for the meat in my mouth.I REALLY enjoy eating meat,but it kinda feels like i'm going off it(not a conscious decision)..

I started yoga a while back,and my instructor is always talking about what we eat.maybe he's planted sub-conscious seeds in my mind.

Whatever's going on,there's a change happening that isn't coming from my intellectual mind.i have no choice in the matter...I'M GOING OFF MEAT!!Noooooooo.....!!! :-(

cavernstoy

YEEEEEEES...

just kidding

Consider it a blessing.  The reward will be far greater than the loss of flavor luxury.  As a matter of fact, you may realize that meat is inferior (in flavor) to the riches of fresh living plant.

Old Dood

Quote from: Stookie on January 25, 2008, 11:11:12
I like that theory. I'm about to go get a double cheeseburger for lunch, so right now I'm believing it will help tremendously. Boy I'm hungry, and no guilt! And another OBE tonight! Hooray for cheeseburgers!

It's true. But I also work out and will be eating more healthy meals over the next few days. You have to balance it out.

'Moderation' is the key.  To just about everything actually.
We eat meat but, we do not eat it every stinkin' day.
I love making good old fashion Meat Loaf in the winter.
With real whipped (not mashed...whipped) potatoes with cream cheese/real butter blended in.
Smothered that all with gravy....
The very next day....Meat Loaf sandwiches with real mayo....YUM!

Other days we do not eat all that much. I might simply have English Muffins toasted with peanut butter.
Or cereal with skim milk. We quit whole milk years ago. We do like Half & Half in our coffee though.

Just depends on the mood.  Mrs Dood likes to make fish. I do not care for it except for Albacore Tuna.

Cheese Burgers are fantastic if made correctly.  Not to lean.  Need some fat for flavor. Oh...and REAL cheese as well.

Another good meal(now that I am hungry talking about food) is an English Roast in the Crock Pot with Potatoes, Carrots, Onions.
Slow cook that all day and look forward to that to come home to.
The next day I dice the left-overs up and then pan fry it all in what else?  Butter.  Real Sweet Cream Butter.
Our children have learned to love that almost more then the pot roast. hehe.
My wife's Father taught us that little left-over trick.

Not a damn thing wrong with eating meat...Good eatin' on a cold winter's day.
Time will Tell...
MY SPECIAL PURPOSE

Astir

Quote from: Stookie on January 25, 2008, 11:11:12

I had the first cheeseburger I've had in a year last week. Hooray indeed  :-D

I find the more I move around the more I must eat. At work I must remain a high energy kinetic body for the duration of 9-12 hours each day. Climbing, carrying around ladders constantly, lifting heavy objects, it's a very physical job. I have to eat a lot to say the least (4+ meals a day). But meat does give me more energy...always. Yesterday we had a pot luck at work and I ate a whole plate of fresh vegetables, because to my knowledge it was the only thing I could be sure I wasn't allergic to. It didn't do a thing for me...finally I just gave in and figured my coworker probably made the chili he brought without gluten, so I ate three helpings of that. It was only after the chili that I felt energized. I guess I just needed pure protein.
I eat so much and so little sticks to my bones my coworkers joke I have a tape worm. On freight day all I hear all day is how much I can lift for "such a tiny person", so I don't think it's a crime I consume meat about every other day. :-P If I didn't I'd be extremely twiggy...already a female familial trait on both my mother and fathers side.

Anyway...
I have a firm understanding that diet is a physical nonissue, it cannot impact spirituality unless you allow it to. People may claim to experience clarity but there is a distinct difference between spiritual and mental clarity.
I just want everyone to realize this too...
Spirituality is an innate quality that either one may possess or lack a bit of, but I promise without altering or limiting oneself physically, it can be had or increased at their discretion without trial or trick. There is no physical method that enables it, only the conscious decision to feel it and to be it (and this is a good thing).

So much emphasis is placed on discipline, but it is unnecessary. Hindrances are all simply matters of perception; when it comes to spirituality, nothing here really stands in anyones way.

Brolyson

My opinion of meat, is that the substance that which is consumed is quite literally dead. These dead cells worsened by cooking entering a body that was never physically created for meat consumption, effects the body in a slow, deteriorating manner. I believe our food by creation (fruits, nuts, vegetables) has life energy within them, thus revitalizing your body, mind, and spirit to an entire new level of capabilities.

It's not so much the slaughter that goes on in the millions every day of innocent animals all over the world, nor is it the health issues that are obvious to any one person who looks without turning a blind eye to the pumping of hormones and the handling of the dead meat after the butcher. For me, it's more about receiving life into my body instead of death, simply because life is where I am going, and death is where I am coming from. So to me, in my opinion, it just makes sense to spiritually evolve through receiving life into my body, not death.

This reality is a paradox, so what now?

haloofwinterr

I've been a vegetarian for four years, and it's not aided in or changed the way I have OBE's. I think it's just personal preference. If you want to be one, be one. If not, I doubt it changes anything. It may make you healthier, if you eat the right amount of replacement proteins like tofu, beans, peanuts. Anything that helps even out what you were eating in meat.

But, in my personal opinion, I don't think diet effects OBEs.

haloofwinterr

Quote from: Brolyson on April 11, 2008, 00:01:07
My opinion of meat, is that the substance that which is consumed is quite literally dead. These dead cells worsened by cooking entering a body that was never physically created for meat consumption, effects the body in a slow, deteriorating manner. I believe our food by creation (fruits, nuts, vegetables) has life energy within them, thus revitalizing your body, mind, and spirit to an entire new level of capabilities.

It's not so much the slaughter that goes on in the millions every day of innocent animals all over the world, nor is it the health issues that are obvious to any one person who looks without turning a blind eye to the pumping of hormones and the handling of the dead meat after the butcher. For me, it's more about receiving life into my body instead of death, simply because life is where I am going, and death is where I am coming from. So to me, in my opinion, it just makes sense to spiritually evolve through receiving life into my body, not death.

I really like your beliefs on this matter. :)

And quite honestly, my views are kind of the same. I stopped eating meat for fear of fat. But when I tried to eat it later down the road because I thought I missed the flavors, it did nothing for me. Infact, I wanted to gag when I ate it. I haven't broke vegetarianism since that little moment. Meat is just bland/gross. And as you said, dead cells. Ew.

Brolyson

Quote from: haloofwinterr on April 13, 2008, 20:45:17
I've been a vegetarian for four years, and it's not aided in or changed the way I have OBE's. I think it's just personal preference. If you want to be one, be one. If not, I doubt it changes anything. It may make you healthier, if you eat the right amount of replacement proteins like tofu, beans, peanuts. Anything that helps even out what you were eating in meat.

But, in my personal opinion, I don't think diet effects OBEs.

I agree in respect to others opinions, and I concur that it hasn't really changed much in my OBE either. With the OBE, your body isn't much of a factor other than maintaining the natural heart beat and breathing.

Being vegetarian has brought me closer to nature in a way that is in-explainable, and the life energy I feel from raw organic fruit nuts and veggies are unlike any other source of food I've maintained in a diet. I've experienced a more natural increased control and allowed more access to my innerself in my IBE, being that the physical body is just as important to nourish as with the mind and spirit. I believe the physical body is the soil in which we plant the seeds of application, just as our mind is the soil for our thoughts to grow.

This reality is a paradox, so what now?

AmbientSound

I think different foods offer different benefits and you've got to plan according to the activities you will be doing. On days when I have strenuous martial arts workouts, I need high-protein foods and lots of carbs. This usually ends up being a cheeseburger and fries, lasagna with meat, or something else entirely. Without this kind of fuel, I find that I lack the energy to work through the entire workout and end up burning out fast. I've taken many martial arts, but this particular instructor teaches a workout unlike any I have ever seen before, both in its intensity and its uniqueness.

On the other hand, I also have days where I cleanse my body of toxins and will eat nothing but fruit, drink kombucha, etc. All the waste products from the meat need to be cleared out of my system.

I think it's a cycle. Different foods for different days. A routine helps to regulate things. If I could I would try to synchronize my activities with the sun and moon. But I am not observant enough to notice how they affect me. It's also a question of what time you wake up in the morning.

I think having at least one cleansing day for the week is important.

Stookie

OK, I've been one here on the forum to praise cheeseburgers and philly cheesesteaks, but about 4 months ago, my body began having problems with dairy. After a bowl of cereal in the morning, my stomach would make the strangest gurgling sounds for hours.

For me, cheese has been one of the best things to eat ever. And I had to get rid of it. And I became bummed out, for I felt I could no longer enjoy food.

It took a little while, but I switched to soy milk & soy cheese, and must say, I'm glad this all happened. I also eat more fiber now, lost a few pounds, and I never knew my digestive system could work this well! Not that it was bad before, but talk about "regular".

What's sad is, I was FORCED to do it. I would have never done it on free choice alone, but now that I'm here, I love it.

And just like any addiction, my craving for cheese slowly disappeared.