News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Help With Bipolar

Previous topic - Next topic

Justintime

Hello,

I saw a similar thread about social anxiety here and thought maybe I could get some help or at least some advice in dealing with this illness. I've suffered from some form of depression my whole life and was diagnosed as Bipolar at the age of 19. So for 14 years now I've been seeing a psychiatrist and every two to three years I have to switch medications because my body/brain seems to build up a tolerance to it. I've reached a wall now where I'm in the process of switching meds again but in the meantime life is just very irritating for me in general. From work, to marriage and even being a father. I've been having anger outbursts and just feel off. As you probably know it takes a while for new psych meds to work.  And I'm just looking for help anywhere I can get it.I'm new to meditating and do realize this can help me.
Please send me help, insight, positivity, serenity etc from the astral if possible. I'm open to any advice if you got it.

Szaxx

Have you tried totally removing certain foods from your diet yet?
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

Justintime

I have. I went on an organic, gluten free, low sugar, low caffeine diet and it worked very well for a few months and then it just sort of stopped and the mood swings continued.

Szaxx

Diet can have an amazing effect on health issues that get by the professionals. They treat the symptoms mostly and big pharma like this.
Someone referenced major mood swings q while ago and the alternative meds guy seen sais to stay off absolutely anything made with wheat. This was tried and had an amazing effect. In this case there was an intolerance or allergy to wheat.
You mentioned gluten and it reminded me.
It may not help but trying nothing is not going to help. Perhaps something changed in your trial you mentioned. I can't eat some foods without problems and the instant I see new recipe it's here we go again.
It's all analysis on what you eat and how much. Maybe keep a record and log how you feel. I did this just eating basic foods in small variations. It really helped.

Justintime

Thanks for your advice Szaxx,

For the past few years I've had to take my mental disorder extremely seriously. I have found in the past that when I underestimate the effect of mood on my thinking and behavior I end up acting impulsively and can be dangerously destructive. So for the past few years I have kept a mood journal along with keeping track of taking my medication daily. It's easy to do on my smartphone. Anyways, one thing I haven't done is to include a food journal or incorporate that into my mood journal. I think that's a really wise idea and will start to do so. I'm sure I'll find a correlation with mood and food  within the first few weeks.

I don't have the funds to go on the same diet I was on before. However, I think it is wise to give up wheat and see if it helps, candy too, except for chocolate in small amounts.

I've always wanted to find the variable or variables leading to my mood swings. This should helps. And if not at least I'm trying something new as there's hope in that.

sunshaker

"BIPOLAR", You see the world different to most around you, You are not "ill", You are like many here, We all hide/tone down our true selfs  from those around us.

You are not "mainstream", Enjoy and learn from some great teachers here.

EDIT, A little bit later :-), I was somewhere else, but we know "WE ARE EVERYWHERE", when i said "teachers" i meant more of fellow "travelers".

Szaxx

Nice one Sunshaker, what you're saying is 'we know to help ourselves, we help eachother'.

Good idea to log foods and amount eaten. Your mention of chocolate, I have experimented with this and found I can eat 100g of only one make. 1 small piece of a bad one and it's curtains. It just puts things into perspective, that being I can eat a certain block but not two little candy covered tinys.

Justintime

I can live without chocolate, I just hesitated to commit to this earlier because I had a deep craving for it. Anyways, thanks for the head up. I'm going to try a high protein, low sugar, low caffeine diet. I would try and go all organic, but the price of organic fruits and vegetables, yikes.

Sunshaker I appreciate the advice and up until five years or so ago that's how I felt about being Bipolar. But like I said earlier you have to respect a disease/disorder that kills twenty percent of the people who have it. I may not be mainstream, but I'm trying to live a mainstream life. I love my wife and four year old son and would do anything to be there for them instead of driving them away.

sunshaker

I  understand we have to be careful when we say "something is not an illness",

ADHD IS "Classed" as an illness, but it is now believed in certain quarters, that it was a benefit to hunter gathers, Their hyperactivety  gave them an edge when it came to hunting.

The world is changing fast, sometimes it takes a while for us to catch up.

Only you will "define yourself".

CFTraveler

Quote from: sunshaker on November 23, 2013, 07:28:28
I  understand we have to be careful when we say "something is not an illness",

ADHD IS "Classed" as an illness, but it is now believed in certain quarters, that it was a benefit to hunter gathers, Their hyperactivety  gave them an edge when it came to hunting.

The world is changing fast, sometimes it takes a while for us to catch up.

Only you will "define yourself".
I just had to give this a *thumbs up*.
Why?

Lionheart

Quote from: CFTraveler on November 23, 2013, 11:51:44
I just had to give this a *thumbs up*.
I agree wholeheartedly!  :-)

Justintime

Sunshaker
CFtraveler
Lionheart

You must have little to no experience in dealing with mental illness. And Lionheart, you claim to be doing retrievals with suicide victims and claim to have success with this. Not buying it. Sorry guys but I find this type of thought ignorant and offensive.

Szaxx

J I'm sure the guys are not meaning anything bad. It's hard enough coming to terms with it in the first place. If someone had little to no experience with this they'll not understand how a nice guy one second can change antagonistically into another mood by something not doing as it should.
They'll also not understand the meaning of treading on eggshells.
The biggest problem is trying to deal with this and life, when things get messed up by not doing as they should. It could be something really simple like a screw that will not budge. It eats at your patience then you explode. Screwdriver turns to dust.
It's recognising this before the explosion and killing it instantly. The mood at that moment is ....
I think frustration builds like the chain reaction in a nuke.
It can be suspended though, that takes one hell of a lot of doing. You have to put yourself elsewhere mentally, in a place that's got nothing to grind at you. Then the nuke doesn't detonate.
That count to ten thing is another lit fuse, they don't understand how volatile it can get.
Another is everyone saying "calm, calm".
You want to slaughter them all for an instant. Laugh it off to yourself, they have no idea...
I hope your family work with you. Its one rocky road.

High protein and high carbs with minimal fat. Your body needs some including the bad ones. Low carbs made me feel ill. I took it out on fitness and did a real good job of it. You'll probably understand where I'm coming from.
We are here to help, it might seem the wrong way round but you aint on your own.

Justintime

Thanks Szaxx,

I appreciate your empathy and advice. Which is why I started this thread to ask for help, not a reevaluation of my definition of mental illness, followed by virtual fist bumps of those who believe something different about mental illness than me.

I do have a supportive family and extended family Szaxx, so I'm set there. I'll try incorporating some non wheat carbs into my diet, as well as eating healthy fats.

Also, another reason for me wanting to go astral to resolve my conflicts. I try and make a point of knowing myself and maybe this is a way for the unknown parts of me to come forward, be counted and resolved.

sunshaker

Quote from: Justintime on November 23, 2013, 15:10:48
Sunshaker
CFtraveler
Lionheart

You must have little to no experience in dealing with mental illness. And Lionheart, you claim to be doing retrievals with suicide victims and claim to have success with this. Not buying it. Sorry guys but I find this type of thought ignorant and offensive.

"I think you have come to the wrong place",

I did not want to say but i "was diagnosed" as "bipolar" 15yrs ago, I WAS NOT UNDERSTOOD SO I WAS LABELED.
I understand more than you think, Just like many here.

Here at astral pulse we look past these so called "labels of illness", I DEFINE MYSELF. 

We have "believe" in something bigger, And believe most who come here have this believe.

There are many good ""medical/BIPOLAR" sites you could join, i am sure some here could point you in the right direction,

Come back in a few years when you are ready to revalue who you are.

All the best on your journey, where ever it takes You.

I am sunshaker.

Lionheart

Quote from: Justintime on November 23, 2013, 15:10:48
Sunshaker
CFtraveler
Lionheart

I'm sorry. Am I missing something here? I didn't try to "redefine" your mental illness! I didn't try to give you any advice or suggestions.

I didn't respond to your post on Bipolar, other than to agree with a statement that Sunshaker made that is indeed a fact.
"ADHD IS "Classed" as an illness, but it is now believed in certain quarters, that it was a benefit to hunter gathers, Their hyperactivety  gave them an edge when it came to hunting."

Have you ever communicated with a Autistic child via the NP? I try to and have whenever I come into contact with a child with this infliction. I guess this is another thing for you to disbelieve in. Have the Doctors? I doubt it.

Perhaps you should look at my advice to this poster in this thread before you attack what I say and how I try to help.
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_psychic_and_paranormal/evil_spiritsghosts_possession_attaching_on_my_body_extremely_severe_case-t43628.0.html;msg340526#new

You don't have to "buy" whether I do retrievals or not. I don't do them for your entertainment. I do them for the good of the lost soul that needs it. My first Retrieval was a spontaneous one. I didn't choose to do it. It chose me!

Whatever happened to:  :?
 I have admired this site from a visitors point of view since August now and I love everything I have read thus far, not only is the material here entertaining and inspiring, everyone seems positive and helpful. It seems like the members here really care about each other and their spiritual growth.
                                                             and
Thank you for your responses Lionheart, Szaxx, and Astralzombie, it's very cool indeed to hear back from you three first, as I feel like I know you already from reading your posts the past few months.

If you had any doubts, you should have voiced your opinion in the first place. I would of.

CFTraveler

I also have something to say- I do agree that there is a lot of mental illness that is misdiagnosed or wrongly treated- but I personally have had some experience with mental illness personally- I haven't been diagnosed with anything, but have had some loved ones with a variety of diagnoses.
So please don't presume to know what we know or don't about mental illness.
What I'm saying (and I still stand by this) is that there are a lot of very sane people diagnosed as 'mentally ill' when they are not- their personality structures are simply incompatible with the culture they are part of- some of it is learned maladaptation, and some of it is b.s. labeling by the mainstream media as directed by the pharmaceutical industry, such as b.s. diagnoses such as 'oppositional personality' and some types of adhd.

I obviously cannot and wouldn't diagnose the OP's condition, as I'm not in any way qualified to opine regarding it in particular- I was merely agreeing with sunshaker's comment regarding modern diagnosis about how certain traits are classed as 'illness' that used to be 'adaptive'.
Like for example, not so long ago, the ability to do various things at the same time was considered advantageous (as in, 'Renaissance Man', while linear thinking and singlemindedness are considered "correct" nowadays.
Why?