Hinduism (open discussion)

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustardseed

Thanks Robert, Great idea to seperate the two. Much more organised. I would like someone to explain the concept of Karma to me. I had a Hindu gent relate to me that in Karma there is no self will. If you are a murderer its Karma if you are a good person its karma. You in this life is only a result of past choices and "you are what you are" . It confuses me. It is like the statement that whatever you believe is the truth for you. Is this related to the casts and if so how.
Regards Mustardseed
Words.....there was a time when I believed in words!

Moderneboy

what do they mean that the universe is an illusion. Like it is Maya.

Gandalf

Basically, what they mean is that the idea of individulism is an illusion; individulism defines the material world ie objects people, individual things, objects and so on.
Hindu thought believes that all individual objects and lifeforms, in fact everythng, is actually a manifistation of the same underlying reality, often called 'the All', or Brahman.

Brahman is the 'All'; under the illusion of individual mind we are all one. The ultimate goal is to eventially reunite with 'the all'.

however, we have to be careful about making sweeping statements about what 'Hindu' religion/philosophy says, as what people don't realise is that the term 'hinduism' is an umbrella term for a whole collection of different philosophies, many share common traits while others differ; even budhism can be considered a branch of 'hindu' philosophy, the only reason it is not thought so is that it has achieved such a size as to be defined by itself.

For example, there are various hindu schools of thought as to what characteristics 'brahman' or the 'all' has. Some say it is fully conscious, ie 'universal mind' if you like, while others say it is not really aware in the sense that we understand.

Many areas of hindu thought  accept the idea of various deities; these can be thought of as manifistations of 'the all' manifested in semi-individual and aware form.
For this reason westeners who try to define whether hinduism is polytheistic or monotheistic or pantheistic and so o often get confused.
I would say it is pantheistic mainly. They beleive in many gods but they are all ultimatly aspects of the All or brahman, just as we are, so really you can say that we are all still one.
This is different from monotheism however, which thinks that there is one indivdual who created everyhing but now resides almost totally outside of it, watching and participating from time to time.
I never like that idea.
however the idea that We are One and the One is All, that I do like, it makes more sense imo. Also it means that we can approach 'the all' through the many deities connected with Brahman which provides a more personal connection.
The above concept has been influential in wicca/neo-paganism as well, and is the most popular way in which neo-pagans/wiccans perceive all their deities.
(in fact evidence suggests that Gardner, the founder of Wicca, got many ideas from Tantric hinduism, esp. the male and female aspects etc.)

I have never been concerned with middle-eastern religion's (judaism,christianity,islam) 'idolitory/anthropromorphism hangup which just strikes me as daft; imo deities assume familiar forms in order to better interact with us, something the christians realised when they formulated their idea of jesus as the son of god.
each to their own I guess.
Douglas

PS Hindu philosphy has been hugely influential in the so called 'new age' movement.
You will recognise many familiar elements, astral planes, chakras, energy work, reincarnation etc.
I would say about 75% of nu-age stuff is hindu.
People sometimes wonder why 'Hinduism' as a brand name has never been big in the west, but I say it has been;
I would say that the nu-age movement is in effect 'hinduism for the west'.

For this reason I sometimes think of myself as an unofficial hindu!

"It is to Scotland that we look for our idea of civilisation." -- Voltaire.

kalratri

Hello all!

Karma is a simple concept.  Karma is indeed the "stuff" you are made of, i.e. matter and it's "unwilled" discharge.  Karma is dependent on mind,matter and senses.  Will is that which is not affected by these.

Ex.  

Karma is when you DON'T get up in the morning because you feel like crap.  That's your own nature and you can't fight it...fate will take it's course.

will is when you get up no matter how crappy you feel.  Will is part discipline and it is this discipline which will allow yourself to change your fate.

However, this does not mean you go AGAINST your nature, in fact, initially you must first know your nature and work with your nature and perform duties (DHARMA) in accordance with your nature...i.e. the Tao the way.  Only after you study and explore your own nature will you be able to perfect yourself.

Hindus believe that what you percieve to be "reality" is virtual...your senses are connected so you think this world is real. But it's your senses which are blocking your true understanding of reality.
- Treating alike victory and defeat, gain and loss, pleasure and pain - then get ready to fight! By doing so you shall not incur sin 2:38 Gita
- Live in this world with unlimited vision, having firmly rejected all limitations. Vashista

Hand of Ganesha

Always live as nothing, and your mission is fulfilled immediately.

Robert Bruce

G'day Folks!

This topic is for the free and open discussion and debate of anything and everything relating to Hinduism that does not fit the theme of 'friendly exploration'. So, if you want to discuss sexual misconduct of Hindu priests, or animal rights, of want to air some gripes, this is the place for that.

Take care, Robert.

Robert Bruce
www.astraldynamics.com