News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

CD Copy Protection

Previous topic - Next topic

cainam_nazier

My understanding of it will be just as it is with computer discs.  It is not that they will only be usable by certain machines its just you may have difficulty if trying to burn copies off for friends.  But now a days NOTHING is truely copy protected.

David Rogalski
cainam_nazier@hotmail.com

distant bell

And here in good old europe we always here that it is YOU guys who have those horrble new things going on..
Come to europ and copy the hell out of your pants mate!

No problem here yet.. but who knows what they are cocking up for us?

Felix

-- Love is the Law - Love under Will --

Tom

In a novel I read about a marketing technique. If you don't have the best product, convince your customer that something is seriously wrong with your competition's product. For example, if you run a bar and ask customers if they have heard about the food poisoning deaths over at some other bar that would be misleading but not quite lying.

If I live in north america and want to keep my customers from going online and buying better products from Europe, I just tell my customers that if they buy products from Europe they will find they can't use what they buy. This way they just believe me and feel lucky to be able to buy from me.

WalkerInTheWoods

quote:
Originally posted by cainam_nazier:
My understanding of it will be just as it is with computer discs.  It is not that they will only be usable by certain machines its just you may have difficulty if trying to burn copies off for friends.  But now a days NOTHING is truely copy protected.

David Rogalski

The article I read and the news report I heard  clearly said that the new CDs will not work in some car CD players and some stereos and will not (or is not suppose to) work in any computer CD ROMs. But who knows. I guess we will just have to see. I would like it if they would label which CDs are which. I mean if it does not work on my system then I sure do not want to buy another CD that is not going to work for me. I am not a big CD buyer anyway so I guess I will heard about it before it effects me.

Tom, you do have a point.  It might be what they are trying to do. The reports did have contradicting information. The article I read only said they the industry was going to start using them more in Europe whereas the news report said that they were already used there.

For you Eurpeans, can you play your CDs on your computer, or is it something that is even common there? Here in the US it is something that is pretty common. Most people like to pop a music CD in the computer while they are at work or surfing the net, nothing to do with piracy or copying CDs. So a change like this, if it is true, will probably upset a lot of people.

Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

distant bell

Well, actually sweden is one of the worlds most "computer frequent" countries.. and we do use our cd-roms to listen to music cds too!

I know people who only have one cd player- the one in the computer...

Someone selling dvd players said that playing cdrs in the dvd might destroy it.
Can this really be true? (because the dvd has a more sensitive laser, or soemthing like that..)

Felix

-- Love is the Law - Love under Will --

cainam_nazier

Quote- The article I read and the news report I heard clearly said that the new CDs will not work in some car CD players and some stereos and will not (or is not suppose to) work in any computer CD ROMs. But who knows. I guess we will just have to see. I would like it if they would label which CDs are which. I mean if it does not work on my system then I sure do not want to buy another CD that is not going to work for me. I am not a big CD buyer anyway so I guess I will heard about it before it effects me.

Maybe, but that why there are those that make ProM chips and hack programs.  It will take a months or so for them to come out after they start making CDs that way.

Quote-
Someone selling dvd players said that playing cdrs in the dvd might destroy it.
Can this really be true? (because the dvd has a more sensitive laser, or soemthing like that..)

Error, does not compute.  No.  It may, and its a really iffy may, mess up the cd but not the rom.  Most likely the worst case is it won't read it.  That's all.

David Rogalski

Tia

As CD's are so friggin expensive in Europe and we all complain about the cost, people are buying them in the US cheaper.  I think Tom is right - in order to stop Europeans buying cheaper CD's they say that if you buy in the States it wont work in Europe.  They cant possibly stop you from copying, I always make a compilation of CD's I buy as I never like every single track on an album.  It just wouldn't work.  And if they find a way to stop you copying, then somebody will find a way to copy the uncopyable...

The other day my girlfriend bought a CD she liked and then returned it after she had burned it, exchanging it for another CD she wanted.  I was shocked at first but now I think about it, as far as I'm concerned if they want to charge £15 for a CD then they deserve to be ripped off!!!  

Tom

There are places on the web where MP3 files of popular music are still around. It really is amazing what can be found on the internet. Often it takes several listens for me to get used to new things and if given the chance there are things that might become worth the cost.

cainam_nazier

quote:
As CD's are so friggin expensive in Europe and we all complain about the cost, people are buying them in the US cheaper. I think Tom is right - in order to stop Europeans buying cheaper CD's they say that if you buy in the States it wont work in Europe. They cant possibly stop you from copying, I always make a compilation of CD's I buy as I never like every single track on an album. It just wouldn't work. And if they find a way to stop you copying, then somebody will find a way to copy the uncopyable...

I know they do this now with DVD's.  Each DVD has a country code embedded into it.  This is so that DVD players in other countries can not play all DVD's.  Only done basically for rating system and what is considered "viewable" by what ever government.   They could basically do that to the CD's as well but like I said you can work around it.  Even now people make the DVD ProM's and they work great.  You can watch any DVD from any country.  The only thing to do would be to look at what DVD-players they have been made for before you buy the player so you know you can get one.  And they already have the programs to break that one too for people who have DVD's on the computer.

David Rogalski

WalkerInTheWoods

cainam_nazier, you are right. Within a month they will find a way around this new technology they have. I wonder why they just don't give up and live with it. Everytime they come up with something to stop copying or whatever someone comes up with a way around it, and in a very short amount of time. The industry just pisses the customers off and makes them go to the other people for ways around the stupid restrictive technology.

distant bell, I do not think that the dvd player would be hurt by playing a cdr. I have heard the rumors about it but I think it is something the industry started because I have never heard of anyone actually experiencing this.

Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

cainam_nazier

fallnangel77

Its not that they do it to try and stop hacking just slow it down a little.  The more work people have to put into something the less likely they will do it.  They are playing on our laziness.

David Rogalski

WalkerInTheWoods

I have heard that the music Industry is going to start putting out CDs that have some kind of copywrite protection on them that is suppose to prevent them from being copied. The radio said that these are already used in Europe. (I am in the US)  I am wondering if anyone knows if these CDs are labeled in some way to let the consumer know if the CD has this protection on it. I would like to know because these CDs do not work in all CD players, and are not suppose to work in computers at all. I personally do not plan on paying $15 plus dollars on something that I cannot even listen to.

I do not know how these CDs are suppose to work, but it seems to me that all I need is a CD player that has an audio output and I can make copies. So how exactly is this suppose to stop piracy? Anyone that makes a living making pirated music will find away around anything that the industry can throw at them. This just seems to be something that will upset the customers that purchase their music legally.