News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

James Randi 1 million paranormal prize

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypernicus

no_leaf_clover

I've heard Randi's pretty selective about who he pays attention to. As in, he's not really looking to give that money away any time soon, even when a few credible individuals have come forward for him.
What is the sound of no leaves cloving?

Hypernicus

You heard wrong, because Randi has said if not in all interviews that he is very eager to give away the million if someone can turn his world upside down.

Read number 2
http://www.randi.org/research/faq.html#randi

knightlight

That guys a fricken joke.  He would never give that money away.  He is a nay sayer of the highest order.  Plenty of legit people have gone to him and he has refused to accept their talents as real.  He has the last word on whether what you show him is real or not because he is the one who decides if the money gets handed out or not, he doesnt like you, no money.  He forces the people to prove their powers in front of a group of very skeptical people, all hell bent on making you fail.
Profound Impatience makes the blind struggle in Stupidity.

Hypernicus

QuotePlenty of legit people have gone to him and he has refused to accept their talents as real.
Which ones?

Grigori

Yeah I agree with Hypernicus ... Randi's been really good about the whole testing thing. The conditions and what constitutes proof is determined and agreed upon by all parties before the testing actually begins. Besides it's not like the people trying for the million don't know he's a hardcore skeptic :roll: that's the whole reason for the million dollar prize.

WalkerInTheWoods

This offer has been around for a long time. Either Randi has no intention of giving the money away and accepting such things, we are all delusional and such things can't be proven or are not real, or no legit people have approached Randi.
Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

no_leaf_clover

Quote from: Hypernicus on July 29, 2006, 11:12:38
You heard wrong, because Randi has said if not in all interviews that he is very eager to give away the million if someone can turn his world upside down.

I'm sure he would say that. But that's comparable to a murderer saying he didn't do it, and I'm more likely to believe the witnesses.
What is the sound of no leaves cloving?

greatoutdoors

Purely my opinion, but I am inclined to believe Randi has good intentions. He is, however, setting an extremely high standard of proof. I can't fault it, but believe that level of proof is more valid in some scientific arenas than in others.

If I were doing a physics experiement, I would expect 100% repeatability before I could say my hypothesis was valid. However, move the experiment to medical research and the logic changes. It is virtually impossible to adjust for all variables in that area, so you accept a lower "proof" percentage. If a particular treatment worked 50% of the time it would merit attention.

I saw a show on PBS about Randi once. In one instance he showed a Russian psychic pictures of individuals to see what she could tell about them. One of the pictures was of a serial killer/cannibal. She failed to meet his standards because she didn't pick up on the killer's deeds. However, there were enough details she did glean to make it worth exploring in my book. Again, the difference between an "absolute" science and one involving variables.

My bottom line is that both sides of this issue tend to throw out the baby and the bath water. It appears, however, that some are beginning to see the advantages of working together. Now, that will be the beginning of some great opportunities!

Adrian

Hello,

Quote from: WalkerInTheWoods on July 31, 2006, 07:09:16
This offer has been around for a long time. Either Randi has no intention of giving the money away and accepting such things, we are all delusional and such things can't be proven or are not real, or no legit people have approached Randi.

Randi has absolutely no intention of paying that money. Plenty of people have provided adequate proof, but he always raises the bar to just above where the line of proof is.

At the final analysis no psychic, metaphysical or paranormal phenomena is of the physical world, and cannot therefore be proven by the physical means demanded by Randi.

My friend Victor Zammit has for the last 8 years offered $1M to anyone who can disprove the existence of the afterlife; and no one, including Randi, has been able to claim that either for the same reasons.

http://www.victorzammit.com/skeptics/challenge.html

Best regards,

Adrian.
https://ourultimatereality.com/
Vincit Omnia Veritas