Brain chemistry during trance?

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny

Dear folks,

I've always been wondering what causes this particular relaxed sense of being stoned in the head when exiting the trance state after a while. And who doesn't know or enjoy that particular feeling. On some occasions it was so strong on me that I felt as tho I was breathing air fresher than fresh air! I used to always think that it was due to the shift from abundant beta & alpha down to theta & delta brain waves, however the feeling kicks in very slowly, suggesting that it may instead be a chemical release.
So I was wondering if it could be caused by a sudden spike in melatonin levels?
Many articles suggest that meditation increases melatonin levels, therefore aiding sleep.

Who's got more rote on this?

Thanks
"He never speaks but he understands thinks higher than a manHes living in The northern lights In winter everlasting He travels around Big drum in his hand And he knows what you have in your mind Theres always wolf within That leads him down And back home"

Yamabushi

Dr. Rodolfo Llinas' work in thalamocortical dysrhythmia (TCD) is a theory that is currently used to explain the positive and negative symptoms induced by neurological disorders as well as neuropsychiatric disorders. In TCD the intricate dynamics between thalamus and cerebral cortex are disrupted by changes in the behavior of neurons in the thalamus. At the base of the theory lies diminished excitatory or increased inhibitory input at the thalamic level. This causes a neuronal calcium ionic efflux, which leads to a switch of the thalamocortical neurons from tonic to burst firing and subsequently entrains thalamic and cortical areas with pathological oscillations at around 5Hz (a theta-band frequency, as you may know).

TCD evidence comes from MEG and EEG recordings on the scalp as well as LFP (local field potential) recordings in the patients' thalamus during surgery. Analyzing the power spectra reveals increased coherence as well as increased bicoherence in the power spectra in the theta band compared to healthy controls. This indicates a close coupling of cortex and thalamus in the generation of the pathological theta rhythmicity.

In other words, it's possible that this sense of being is induced by calcium efflux events which influence thalamocortical neuronal connections.

YB

Stookie

I've always related it with endorphins, like a runner's high - jogging puts people in a type of trance. It feels very similar to me.

suu2010

Just got through meditating,  I was in a very deep relaxation.  Usually I get the ''stoned effect'', directly after.  Not only that,  but I also can still hear the ''ringing'' noise,  after I come out of my meditative state.  Not only am I super relaxed and hear this ''ringing'' while in meditation,  but it lasts for a brief while after.  Im totaly getting more use to being relaxed during meditation,  but not so sure what's the purpose of this ''ringing sound''.  Do anyone experience this aswell,  and if so, how can it be of any assistance with inducing the state for an OOBE,  or getting into a deeper relaxation so I can get to the state of having an OOBE?

Tiny

Quote from: suu2010 on February 18, 2010, 15:54:43
Just got through meditating,  I was in a very deep relaxation.  Usually I get the ''stoned effect'', directly after.  Not only that,  but I also can still hear the ''ringing'' noise,  after I come out of my meditative state.  Not only am I super relaxed and hear this ''ringing'' while in meditation,  but it lasts for a brief while after.  Im totaly getting more use to being relaxed during meditation,  but not so sure what's the purpose of this ''ringing sound''.  Do anyone experience this aswell,  and if so, how can it be of any assistance with inducing the state for an OOBE,  or getting into a deeper relaxation so I can get to the state of having an OOBE?

Dear suu2010,

try prolonging that stoned effect, it works if you focus, for hours and it's real fun  :-D

peace
"He never speaks but he understands thinks higher than a manHes living in The northern lights In winter everlasting He travels around Big drum in his hand And he knows what you have in your mind Theres always wolf within That leads him down And back home"

suu2010

I certainly will give it a shot, thanks for the advice  8-)

lee46

Quote from: suu2010 on February 18, 2010, 15:54:43

that's funny, I just said that in my previous post, I also get the "stoned effect" after meditating and it feels great, also I'd like to mention that ever since I started meditating I can hear that "ringing" at any time, not only after meditating, but if I'm in a quiet place I can hear it, as I said, at any time of the day.

Fourthdimension

This is gonna sound weird when i say this but i can always here the ringing in my ears. when i dont wanna hear it is gone but when i want to i sorta shift awarenesss to my ears and the ringing comes back and the more i focus the higher pitched it gets until i project just before i project it feels like the whole room in engulfed in white noise. i ve always said to myself (" when the room is filled with white noise before i project i bet thats what a bat feels like all the time") makes u feel sorry for the small things lmao

have you done any gateway experience lee? cause i always thought thats what kicked my ringing off
Click here
for the astral pulse chat and type in the channel #ubchat
alternatively go to http://webchat.freenode.net

lee46

Quotehave you done any gateway experience lee? cause i always thought thats what kicked my ringing off

Yes I have, but I've had the ringing way before that, I got the gateway experience a few weeks ago and the ringing's been (that I've notticed it) there for almost 5 months now.

QuoteThis is gonna sound weird when i say this but i can always here the ringing in my ears. when i dont wanna hear it is gone but when i want to i sorta shift awarenesss to my ears and the ringing comes back

That doesn't sound weird to me at all because that's exactly what happens to me, but you described it way better  :-D , the difference would be that I haven't achieved an AP yet.

Fourthdimension

by the way lee i saw your pics y tu eres bella mejicana jaja.

i dont know if this is just ,y imagination but every time i go in to trance or even take some sorta drug that changes my awareness or brain waves or what ever
i sorta think that i can notice the change through the ringing

like if i was injected with something to make me drowsy or sedatitves i would get a ringing in my ear thats way below my average ringing. because its a lower pitch i d be able to hear more of it (ause humans can hear more lower pitch sounds than higher) and so it would be really loud
but if i was in mediation or increasing my awarenes the ringing would be higher pitched it would be loud but not as loud as the lower pitched sound it would be more like a steady sound with white noise
i dont know if this is all just in my mind but its just a correlation i made ill health and good health also have the same effect on my ringing lol
Click here

lee46

Quoteby the way lee i saw your pics y tu eres bella mejicana jaja.

Quotei dont know if this is just ,y imagination but every time i go in to trance or even take some sorta drug that changes my awareness or brain waves or what ever
i sorta think that i can notice the change through the ringing

Sometimes I listen to brainwaves/metamusic as I'm falling asleep, it helps me clear my mind wonderfully, but last night I forgot I had the "repeat" thing on, I had set up my alarm at 3am (to try the galantamine experiment once again, I'll post an update by the way) and realized it was still on so I turned off to go back to sleep, this time the ringing was way loud, but I figured out it was because of having the brainwaves for so long. I'm going to focus more on that to see if I can notice any other changes.

Fourthdimension

How come theres loads of spanish speaking users on here and they speak good english yet my spanish is still not as good as i want it to be lol
whats the trick to improve second langages ect?

i ll look forward to your update on galantamine

yeah if your listening to metamusic you can sometimes see that the ringing starts to ring in sychronisation with the hemi sync pattern

mabye that means hemi sycn really does change the brain waves for a short while afer use

any how its 3am here so am going to bed. speak to you soon
Click here

lee46

Quotewhats the trick to improve second langages ect?

Sorta out of topic, but anyway hehe, I found that the easiest way is to live in the country where that lenguage is spoken.

Quoteyeah if your listening to metamusic you can sometimes see that the ringing starts to ring in sychronisation with the hemi sync pattern

mabye that means hemi sycn really does change the brain waves for a short while afer use

I think it totally makes a change, I feel stoned without using any drugs! haha, but is just in the mean time until you learn to get to those states on your own, sometimes if I'm just reading I can feel something similar, so I guess it's working!

Fourthdimension

haha sorry for going out of topic lol i gotta go to mallorca lol its my dream place to live lol

i dont use hemi sync nor more because the hemi sync is too loud and makes me not be able to hear my ringing if i listen through head phones and for some reason it does nt feel as if am mediating right if i cant hear the ringing lol
Click here