Phasing/OBE What's the difference?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff_Mash

Ok, I'll take a stab at it.  When one has an OBE, you are going to feel a lot of bodily sensations.  You may feel yourself peel out of your body and find yourself either in the RTZ, the black void, or the astral proper.

However, when you "phase", it's almost like your bypassing a lot of that stuff and going directly to the astral proper.

Imagine being lowered horizontally into a pool of water.  You slowly pass through the surface of the water and become wet.  Phasing is like that.  You may start to see images or scenes flash before your closes eyes.  The more you observe these and detach yourself from everything else, you can "phase" or merge with the astral proper.  You don't necessarily feel any dramatic separation from the body, any violent vibrations, etc.

It can be an easier aproach to astral travelling, and less traumatic to the newcomer, because they don't have to deal with traditional OBE symptoms.

Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash
MyJokeMail.com - Jokes and Humor
http://myjokemail.com
Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash
http://www.mjmmagic.com

Tom

Okay. I like the description of phasing and it seems like it would lead to the more traditional OBE into the RTZ. So how do I go about doing it? The reason why I have not been following the phasing discussions very well is that I have not seen an isolated description of how to do it.

fredhedd

i believe i there was a very long post about some relax tek.  it was a continued post from the same topic but was movied because it was getting too long.  from what i gather you relax and basicly focus on your brow chakra until you start to see or hear anything hypnogogic.   you then passively enter the place you are experiencing.  i guess this would be very similar to inducing a wild.  this is a very rough desc. and frank goes into more detail about it in the post.  http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&TOPIC_ID=534  

i'm a little confused as to how something like this wasn't encountered by robert bruce in his attempts to project directly to a higher plane by focusing on the brow chakra.  there is a mention of it in ad.  it would be interesting to see what he has to say about this.  

i'm still very unclear as to why there are no exit symptoms and if you are still projecting your double or are just projecting your consciousness.  if the consciousness is what's being projected and it's going to the same place then what would be the point of having a double or the vibes?

Leyla

"You may feel yourself peel out of your body and find yourself either in the RTZ, the black void, or the astral proper. However, when you "phase", it's almost like your bypassing a lot of that stuff and going directly to the astral proper."

So, you mean I've been phasing all this time?

I've never pulled out of my body. I just sort of "wake up" on the astral.

I've only just now discovered how to get to the real-time zone.

I can't see how phasing would be considered superior or higher level than an OBE. It seems far easier to me.

James S

Leyla,
I can give you information from the perspective of phasing which have done, but I have not yet experienced the more traditional form of OBE that is usually discussed, so please forgive an inaccuracies in my perception.

Picture yourself sitting in chair prepairing to project.
One of the traditional AP techniques would have you focussing on a point in front of your body, possibly using a rope or some other visualisation to allow your consciousness to move away from your body, you start to get vibrations in your chest and then you find yourself standing beside your body, or somewhere else in the room. Your astral body is now free from your physical body.

With phasing, you would be sitting in the chair, prepairing in the same way as you would for a projection, but instead of trying to get your astral body released from your physical body, you just set your consciousness adrift. It is like having visions. Your not moving away from your body, and in the fullest extent of phasing you can switch your awareness so that you can still see, hear, speak, etc. around where you are seated, or haveyour awareness is able to be somewhere else in the astral. The one big benefit of phasing is that you have 100% memory recall every time.

James.

clandestino

Hi Leyla, hows it going ?!

From what I have read (I haven't successfully "projected" by through phasing yet) , here's what i understand of it...

Phasing is simply changing your state of conciousness so that you are tuned in to "the astral".

During normal waking hours, you've got plenty of things to occupy your mind...most are physical inputs from your 5 senses. Imagine your waking conciousness is a Radio station, Awake FM or something. Now slowly turn the dial, and you are on Astral FM.....that is phasing.

This differs from the tradtional approach in that it is more controlled. Using traditional projection techniques leads to experiences of varying clarity / quality........because you are being "catapulted" into the astral at random.

Using phasing as a controlled approach means that YOU determine the quality of the experience.

Another thing....traditional OBE techniques lead to OBE's that are hard to remember sometimes....with phasing, you are 100% awake all the time, so there's no memory loss.

I'll try and summarise how to go about phasing (through Frank's approach) but it'll be MUCH clearer if you just read the (now very lenghty !!) gateway pointers and related threads...

1) get physically relaxed, close your eyes.
2) forget about any physical issues / things completely...thoughts  relating to the physical world shouldn't enter your head at any stage.
3) create a scenario whereby you move to the astral....e.g. imagine walking along a beach, seeing a door in the distance with "astral" written above it. When you get to the door, walk through it, and there you are.

Easier said than done !! the KEY issue is using your imagination, developing it as a skill, until you are no longer lying on your bed imagining, you are actually ON that beach at that doorway and you can see it.

The Monroe institute labels different mind states as "focus" numbers...e.g. when you get to mind awake - body asleep, you are at focus 10. The gateway CD simply creates a background framework for you to apply your imagination over the top. Whether or not the hemi sync sounds do anything, who knows !!

Again, the above description is pretty crude...read the description in "gateway pointers" thread, and you'll get an accurate idea...
see ya !

Mark

I'll Name You The Flame That Cries

Frank

Phasing is a term first coined by Monroe which developed thus...

Quote Monroe:

"One of the Knowns emerging through repeated examination was that moving into or out-of-body no longer had for me what could be called "movement." Experienced subjects in the Institute laboratory had reported this many times but it was not a part of my personal pattern until I began what I called the "quick-switch" method. Thereafter what happened was a fading out of one consciousness into another. To describe it as "going out-of-phase" seemed more accurate and satisfied better my left brain classification system."

Phasing is a means of projecting consciousness within the Astral realms. Whether you project via traditional obe practice, or through the more modern-day Phasing approach you still project within the same Astral realms. All that changes is the method used to get there. Like, fly to New York on an aircraft, or go by ocean liner, you still end up in the same New York.

As with Physical transportation systems, there are benefits coupled with disadvantages of each. The boat takes longer, but you can relax, take a walk, have a swim, sleep in a comfortable bed, enjoy sumptuous meals, etc. By contrast the plane is cramped and uncomfortable, the food sucks, and so forth, but it's darned quick and relatively cheap.

So, you can take the traditional Energy Raising approach, and have tremendous fun igniting various energy centres (Chakras); enjoy all the weird and wonderful sensations of having crackling waves of energy running up and down your body; creating psi balls; moving objects with your thoughts, and so on. Not only that, you can take this energy and create a body double of yourself from etherial matter; project a copy of your consciousness into it; and go wandering around the real-time zone.

As I say, all great fun and interesting to do. But it's darned tricky to accomplish for the average person. Not only that, while it may be fun to an accomplished projector having waves of cracking energy flowing through them; or looking down on their physical selves whilst lying on the bedroom ceiling: ordinary people normally get scared out of their wits just by the thought of doing such a thing.

Phasing offers a simpler approach as the technique is aligned very much with bodily actions and/or sensations that most individuals already do while performing other actions. Becoming completely engrossed in a movie or a book, is very much like the Focus 10 state, for example. Mildly drifting off listening to classical music is like Focus 3. As such, it is all very much easier to explain.

Not only that, people gain confidence knowing they can make progress with feelings they are already familiar with. And they are reassured by the fact they are not going to suddenly find themselves bouncing off the ceiling thinking they just died, or whatever.

The big disadvantage is the Phasing experience is a whole lot more restrictive. Barring the odd exception, the only place you ever get to go, or thing you get to do, is to project within the Astral realms.

Now, for me, that is all I ever want to do. Because, on the Astral, is where all the fun stuff lies. However, there is a MAJOR pitfall: all the "fun stuff" can only be tapped into by knowing and adhering to the strict ground-rules that apply. Which is ever so easy to say, but so darned difficult to perform at the time.

In summary, I would say that Phasing offers a person a relatively quick and simple way of projecting their conscious awareness within the Astral realms (if, like me, that is all you really want to do). But there is the danger a person may project within the Astral completely unprepared for what comes next.

The traditional approach seems to be taken more slowly, and with a far greater emphasis placed on the actual Spiritual teaching side of things. To me, this more prepares a person for "normal" life on the Astral. A lot of the teaching talks about being a good person, being non-violent and generally cooperating with others. I note, though, that people through the ages have taken this to mean only Spiritually pure people, and the like, can have access to the Astral. Which is not true.

You can be as evil as they come and the Astral will welcome you with open arms. However, people who cannot keep their emotions and thoughts in check will naturally not get past Focus 22. The reason for this not because there is some Astral police force preventing you, but simply because Focus 22 is the first realm where thought equals direct action.

A violent/aggressive/highly-fearful person will simply become imprisoned by the circumstances of their own making. Which is a vile and disgusting thing to witness. But, ultimately, you brush it off realising that it's all part of the human learning-curve in the grand scheme of things.

Yours,
Frank

Jeff_Mash

quote:
Originally posted by Frank:
The big disadvantage is the Phasing experience is a whole lot more restrictive. Barring the odd exception, the only place you ever get to go, or thing you get to do, is to project within the Astral realms.

Frank, I just thought of a question, and I'd like to hear your take on it.  Since Focus 27 is the realm of people who have died and know it, and Focus 24/25/26 are the realms of belief systems where people usually look at you funny, would you say it's possible that one could project into a RTZ-like environment and still encounter one of these beings?

I'll give you an example.  In one of my earlier projections a couple of years ago, I found myself in my bedroom.  I made my way outside and started to fly to the corner of my street.  There, I saw a small boy, about 11 or 12 years old, who looked at me kind of shocked.  He was definitely able to see me, and I knew that he wasn't a physical entity.  He then picked up a rock and threw it at me, almost as one would throw something at an animal to keep it away!  

I always just passed this off as some astral entity that I encountered in the RTZ, but now I'm wondering, could Focus 24+ people be seen in a lower Focus level?  Or was I not really in the RTZ, but merely in an environment on a higher Focus level that mimicked the RTZ?  I guess it would also help to know which (if any_ Focus level the real time zone falls in.

Not sure if you can answer these, but I thought I would ask these questions as an interesting topic of discussion.

Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash
Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash

Frank

Jeff: That's an interesting occurence.

I'm a bit confused where you say you knew he wasn't a physical entity. Do you mean he did not currently have a physical body, i.e. he was not currently incarnate. Or that you knew the boy was currently incarnate but realised you were viewing a body other than his physical?

My initial thoughts are the boy was physical incarnate and merely doing the same as you, i.e. projecting into the real-time zone. I'd love to give you a straight answer but I have precious little RTZ experience. And I'm not all that sure where the RTZ comes into it Focus-level wise.

Yours,
Frank

Jeff_Mash

quote:

Jeff: That's an interesting occurence.

I'm a bit confused where you say you knew he wasn't a physical entity. Do you mean he did not currently have a physical body, i.e. he was not currently incarnate. Or that you knew the boy was currently incarnate but realised you were viewing a body other than his physical?

When I say that I didn't think he was a physical entity, I should give a reason why.  And the reason is.......I don't have a good reason!  I think I just assumed that since:

a) I was 'out' and usually when I'm 'out', I've never encountered anyone.  And those that I have were always shocked and alarmed.

b) I forgot what I was going to say for b.

Anyway, during this exact same projection, I did walk through a window of some house into a room which had some people in it, and they all looked scared to death to see me there.  So the only way I can explain this whole scenario is this:

1) Either I was in a realm which looked similiar to the RTZ but wasn't, or
2) I was in the RTZ and these entities were part of it.

THat still raises the interesting question though: I wonder if being in the RTZ, one can see and interact with beings who normally reside in higher Focus levels.  For example, could someone who usually resides on Focus 27 "travel" into the RTZ and interact with us there, or any other Focus level for that matter?  I would have to assume that they can, since we ourselves are free to travel through multiple Focus levels.

If this is true (and I've never heard anyone else hypothesize about this), then I can see how things can make a little more sense during a projection.  This could explain why many times, you're environment tells you that you're in one Focus level, but certain entities that you come across appear to be from another Focus Level.  

What do you think?

Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash
Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash

Frank

quote:

a) I was 'out' and usually when I'm 'out', I've never encountered anyone.  And those that I have were always shocked and alarmed.

I remember you told me you only normally project in the RTZ. What I think is happening is you are becoming more open to the idea of other populated realms. I don't have all that much RTZ experience but I get the impression people tend to move around in the RTZ encased within a kind of restrictive thought-bubble that concentrates or fixates their attention on their immediate surroundings.

Doing this will largely close you off from all the rest that is going on just a slight-shift away in conscious awareness. And it IS just a very slight shift.

I've read now and again where people are asking how to get to the Astral from the real-time zone. Like it was a million miles away or something. There was once talk about choosing some point on the horizon and zooming off towards it at high speed and stuff... why? When the Astral is just a fraction of a mental shift away.

quote:

Anyway, during this exact same projection, I did walk through a window of some house into a room which had some people in it, and they all looked scared to death to see me there.  So the only way I can explain this whole scenario is this:

1) Either I was in a realm which looked similiar to the RTZ but wasn't, or
2) I was in the RTZ and these entities were part of it.

The reaction of the people you encountered smacks to me of belief-system region. But your primary mental focus would have been RTZ. Just the fact you thought you were in the RTZ would have created an RTZ-like buffer experience. Or maybe you were half in the RTZ whilst perceiving some group of people located, say, on Focus 24. This is all VERY possible. There are no hard and fast barriers between the mental focus levels.

You often come across groups of people huddled together around Focus 24 and they get scared when they see you. What happens very often is people die and they think that's it. But it's not, and they are very surprised and frightened to realise that there IS a "life after death" that they had discounted all their physical lives. These people can get mighty scared because they start thinking of all the bad things they did; all the times they discounted the idea of God, etc; and they get this idea that someone is eventually going to come along and take them to Hell. Then, one day, you fly in through the window. :)

quote:

THat still raises the interesting question though: I wonder if being in the RTZ, one can see and interact with beings who normally reside in higher Focus levels.  For example, could someone who usually resides on Focus 27 "travel" into the RTZ and interact with us there, or any other Focus level for that matter?

Yes, this is very possible and happens all the time.

quote:

I would have to assume that they can, since we ourselves are free to travel through multiple Focus levels.

Yes, we are, but only when we have learned the basic ground-rules that apply, i.e. remaining emotionally closed with thoughts in check. Else we just get stuck at Focus 22.

quote:

If this is true (and I've never heard anyone else hypothesize about this), then I can see how things can make a little more sense during a projection.  This could explain why many times, you're environment tells you that you're in one Focus level, but certain entities that you come across appear to be from another Focus Level.  

As I say, there is a very fine line, just a *tiny* shift in mental focus, from one place to the next. You may have made that shift without realising it (very common) thus begin to perceive other people on other focus levels. But your base thinking is still "back there" in the real-time zone. So you are standing there, half and half, because that is where your thinking is at.

Always, always keep in mind: as you think, so it instantly becomes. Or, as you are thinking from moment to moment, so it is becoming moment to moment.

Yours,
Frank

Jeff_Mash

Thanks for the reply Frank.  It's funny how all along, I always 'knew' that the higher focus levels were only a mental shift away, but I never fully analyzed my own projections to see that I was experiencing these minute shifts personally.

There is no doubt in my mind that if I wasn't projecting directly into the RTZ, then I was projecting into an environment which mimicked it.  And I now see how many times, I could be walking down a familiar hallway in my house, only to make a turn and find myself in a completely different house!  It's all about controlling these mental shifts.

Once again, thanks for the advice.  The last couple of times I got out last week, I have gone straight to an astral environment, instead of my traditional OBE exits into the RTZ.  I can't wait for my next one soon.

Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash
Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash

Frank

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff_Mash:
And I now see how many times, I could be walking down a familiar hallway in my house, only to make a turn and find myself in a completely different house!  It's all about controlling these mental shifts.

You absolutely got it in one.

On the Physical, we are SO used to having a very stable environment. However, on the Astral, thought equals direct action. One moment you are walking down your landing, you make a turn, but at the same time (without really realising it) you make a subtle mental shift. As a result, your whole environment changed.

Problem is, your mind isn't yet used to that. It fully expected to turn and continue down the landing (or to wherever it would have led normally as you made the turn). As the mind's expectation focus has not been met, coupled with the fact that what it has been met with is SO not like it would normally experience, i.e. in a Physical sense, the mind then tends to get caught in a confusion loop - which generally scuppers the experience.

The key is to take things really slowly while you are out there. Thought and movement is ever so fluid within the Astral. Even if you slow things down to what feels like a half or a third the speed you would normally think and move (Physically) you are probably actually thinking and moving many times faster than you *ever* could Physically.

Yours,
Frank

Jeff_Mash

quote:
The key is to take things really slowly while you are out there. Thought and movement is ever so fluid within the Astral. Even if you slow things down to what feels like a half or a third the speed you would normally think and move (Physically) you are probably actually thinking and moving many times faster than you *ever* could Physically.

I had to laugh when I read that, because you're absolutely right.  Whenever I'm out, I literally take ONE STEP AT A TIME....almost concentrating on each movement so that my mind stays focused.  If I don't do that, it tends to flutter all over the place and, as you say, 'scupper' the experience!

I suppose the more experiences one has, the less they have to concentrate on stability as it starts to become second nature.  In the beginning stages of a projecters experiences, the mind seems to be overly excited.  As experience develops, the projector learns how to contain the excitement and become more passive and detached from things.  I would say I am just crossing over into that area now, based on the mentality I have when I'm in the astral realm.

Thanks again for the feedback, mate.

Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash
Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash

glowworm

Hello,

I have been phasing, just didn't know what it was called, knew I wasn't astraly projecting.   Will have to read the rest of this thread and will get back to you.  2 days ago I seen a door with white light shining from underneath the gap at the bottom.  Got a fright and came  out of my meditation.  Realise that I have to be carefull. Will write again soon.

Bye for now, Glowworm

Leyla

What exactly is the difference between phasing and an OBE? I haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer. At some point it all blurs together. I'd appreciate it if someone could explaine.