What's the difference between OBE and astral projection?

Previous topic - Next topic

Tazni

I thought they were the same thing... but now I must admit to being confused...

Brad25

I'll take a shot at this as I'm no expert by any means.
In some sence its the same as your projecting your astral body either way. If you have an obe your in your astral body Projecting

Killa Rican

Conscious Phasing(OBE) Unconscious phasing(AP/LD)

Thats it.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. ~Joseph Dunninger

Xanth

embrace

I've always thought those two are the same thing...

Contenteo

Pretty just semantics and perspective.

You can appreciate the bright line when you get deep into the study, but for all intensive purposes, Delinitation is solving for a problem you don't have yet.

Cheers,
Contenteo

Volgerle

Quote from: Killa Rican on February 29, 2012, 20:17:22

Thats it.

Hmm ... I don't get this. Why should AP in any way be unconscious? Un- or subconscious is when I am dreaming. For me, AP or Lucid dream is done as conscious as OBE. I also consciously 'phase' into a portal which for me is AP since the 'portal' is in "the Astral" (well, at least I think it is  :-D).

I think that OBE is generally referred to as an AP into the RTZ (corresponding more or less to the physical zone). E.g. many common NDEs have OBEs rather than APs as a part of it.

Szaxx

Hi,
Have a read of Astral Dynamics, the book.
There's some relevant info in the first 50 pages.
May help.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

Jdeadevil

Quote from: Killa Rican on February 29, 2012, 20:17:22

Thats it.

You sure it's not the other way round? I would have thought the word "Experience" in OBE would define the fact it was just an experience that happened to you, emphases on the accidental part; and "Projection" would be emphasised the fact you were purposely projecting yourself?

Astral316

Astral projection: You perceive yourself projecting into the astral/spiritual realm.

OBE: You perceive yourself leaving your body.

Two different ways of looking at the same thing, really. Some people assign their own meanings to these terms, like OBE is for experiences that appear to take place in our reality while AP is for experiences that deviate significantly from our reality.

Stookie_

Since we're talking semantics, I would say an "OBE" covers everything, whereas "Astral Projection" would be when you project into the astral plane proper... meaning beyond the etheric/RTZ, as that would just be an OBE. I would say most LD's happen in the "lower" astral, the same areas we dream, though we become conscious. From there most peoples' goal would be to heighten the experience to another level of the astral, making it a true "AP from LD"... thought I would say it's just a shift in awareness.

Anyways, I suppose there are a lot of different ways to look at the same thing.

Killa Rican

Quote from: Volgerle on March 01, 2012, 06:12:26
Hmm ... I don't get this. Why should AP in any way be unconscious? Un- or subconscious is when I am dreaming. For me, AP or Lucid dream is done as conscious as OBE. I also consciously 'phase' into a portal which for me is AP since the 'portal' is in "the Astral" (well, at least I think it is  :-D).

I think that OBE is generally referred to as an AP into the RTZ (corresponding more or less to the physical zone). E.g. many common NDEs have OBEs rather than APs as a part of it.

Yeah, like others pointed out it's all semantics and perspective. I'm a big fan of the theory that we apply non-locality and arent really in these bodies. So I dont like the term "OBE" and wont use it much. Concious phasing(OBE) Leads to "RTZ", Wider Reality, AP, or regular dreaming, AP and LD are the same thing to me, vividness may vary, as long as your awareness is explored.

My view on it anyways.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. ~Joseph Dunninger

CFTraveler

They're all projections.  To different places/states.
OBE is the experience of being out of your body.   Most of the time it's conscious, because you experience some sort of exit, and know what's happening or that something weird is.
AP is a projection to the astral plane.  Can be conscious (as in phasing or WILDing) or unconscious (becoming lucid in a dream and exiting the unconscious scenario)
A dream is a projection into your subconscious creation, in a personal way.

Stillwater

I would say that OBE is the more general, content-neutral, world-view-neutral term for what we are all doing here.

Astral projection is a term for the same concept, with the added assumptions or assertions about metaphysics attached to it; namely that you are traveling to an etheric realm, and possibly with a body made of the substance appropriate for the trip.

OBE does not assume mechanics, or even that it is metaphysical; it is closer to a para-psychology term in this respect.
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic