News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

DMT, The Spirit Molecule

Previous topic - Next topic

Summerlander

DMT, The Spirit Molecule

DMT, The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman is a book which documents his research and experiments with this psychedelic whose endogenous properties are still quite elusive. Not many people have conducted such an extensive research on DMT as Dr. Strassman. He also explores its association with near-death experiences and other mystical states of consciousness and the possibility that the pineal gland may in fact be the "seat of the soul" as once postulated by Rene Descartes, the philosopher who supported dualism and the famous phrase "cogito ergo sum" (I think therefore I am). Here's a quote from the book which gives you a taste and many of you OOBErs out there may find this familiar:

Quote"A resonance process may occur in the pineal similar to that of the shattering glass, although not quite as destructive. The pineal begins to "vibrate" at frequencies that weaken its multiple barriers to DMT formation: the pineal cellular shield, enzyme levels, and quantities of anti-DMT. The end result is a psychedelic surge of the pineal spirit molecule, resulting in the subjective states of mystical consciousness."

The pineal gland contains all it needs to produce DMT. It has the highest levels of serotonin than anywhere else in the body and it produces melatonin and tryptamine, the latter being a major step towards the formation of dimethyltryptamine (DMT). What's more, certain enzymes that are known to have the power to convert the tryptamines into psychedelic compounds were found in the pineal.

Taking this into account, we can see that in the human body, the pineal gland is the most reasonable place for the making of DMT. The gland also produces beta-carbolines which inhibit the breakdown of DMT in ayahuasca and, once ingested, prevents the monoamine oxydases in the gut from destroying it. It would be reasonable to speculate that in the pineal, the beta-carbolines would enhance and prolong the effects of DMT, especially during meditative states, dreams, OOBEs and NDEs.

Give this book a shot. Seriously, it won't disappoint! It will also educate you and give you a better understanding of what may happen in your body when you induce your OOBEs.

Lexy

"Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves."

Summerlander

I've taken Mexican magic mushrooms in boiling hot tea (for the best and most intense effects). Once psilocybin is digested and converted into psilocin, its molecular structure incorporates the DMT molecule plus one atom of oxygen. Strassman describes magic mushrooms as orally active DMT. His experiments on his subjects were carried out by intravenously administering DMT though.

By the way, you really don't need exogenous DMT in order to have OOBEs or other mystical experiences. Endogenous DMT, possibly or most likely produced by the pineal gland is enough for that. You can induce your own trips naturally and safely (you never know how "dirty" DMT can be when sold in the illicit market).

Have a look at the different molecular structures in their simplified form here:

rangestormer

Quote from: Summerlander on February 19, 2011, 08:50:34
I've taken Mexican magic mushrooms in boiling hot tea (for the best and most intense effects). Once psilocybin is digested and converted into psilocin, its molecular structure incorporates the DMT molecule plus one atom of oxygen. Strassman describes magic mushrooms as orally active DMT. His experiments on his subjects were carried out by intravenously administering DMT though.

By the way, you really don't need exogenous DMT in order to have OOBEs or other mystical experiences. Endogenous DMT, possibly or most likely produced by the pineal gland is enough for that. You can induce your own trips naturally and safely (you never know how "dirty" DMT can be when sold in the illicit market).

Have a look at the different molecular structures in their simplified form here:

How do you induce your own DMT trips?

Pauli2

*cough*

To quote RB; one hellish experience can destroy you for the rest of your life.
Former PauliEffect (got lost on server crash), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_effect

Summerlander

@ rangestormer:

To achieve altered states of consciousness such as OOBEs, this is what I do:
http://astralviewers.com/summerlander-journal/how-i-induce-oobesap/

...bearing in mind that melatonin levels are highest around 3am and around 5-6am and this may promote the making of DMT in the pineal. Your own DMT is enough to give you interesting experiences.

@ Pauli2:

You will only have "hellish" experiences if you focus on your fear. Besides, unpleasant experiences will only "destroy" you if you are mentally unstable.

Nomesb69

Quote from: Summerlander on February 19, 2011, 13:29:15
@ rangestormer:

To achieve altered states of consciousness such as OOBEs, this is what I do:
http://astralviewers.com/summerlander-journal/how-i-induce-oobesap/

...bearing in mind that melatonin levels are highest around 3am and around 5-6am and this may promote the making of DMT in the pineal. Your own DMT is enough to give you interesting experiences.

What about otc melatonin ? I take it at night and don't see any dmt type trips.?

Summerlander

That's because melatonin is not a psychedelic. This is also something that is discussed by Strassman in the book because at first he thought melatonin was the "spirit" molecule. The hormone of darkness was tested on several subjects and none of them hallucinated, it just made them sleep. Although some people report increased vivid dreaming it is also true that melatonin can prolong sleep. The stuff sold in pharmacies is made from tryptophan, an amino acid found in cheese, rice, oats and sweet corn. Tryptophan speeds up the production of tryptamine in the body.

I also posit that the otc melatonin when taken before bed time will have no effect but to make you fall asleep. The melatonin levels that rise naturally in the pineal around 3am is a different story because it comes at the right time according to the sleep cycles. You can't take exogenous melatonin and expect REM sleep straight away with all its dream imagery. This is why the method I use to induce OOBEs involves a pre-nap or sleep.

Once Strassman saw that melatonin did not have psychedelic properties, he turned his attention to DMT since traces of it are found in the human body and pretty much everywhere in nature.

Nomesb69

Quote from: Summerlander on February 19, 2011, 19:32:28
I also posit that the otc melatonin when taken before bed time will have no effect but to make you fall asleep. The melatonin levels that rise naturally in the pineal around 3am is a different story because it comes at the right time according to the sleep cycles. You can't take exogenous melatonin and expect REM sleep straight away with all its dream imagery. This is why the method I use to induce OOBEs involves a pre-nap or sleep.

It's 4 am I'm not tired. Lol. If this is true on the 3 am release shouldn't I be tired?

Lexy

Summerlander

Quote from: Nomesb69 on February 20, 2011, 04:02:14
It's 4 am I'm not tired. Lol. If this is true on the 3 am release shouldn't I be tired?

That only happens if you have gone down at a reasonable time to sleep and it is part of the cycles. If you stay up then your are deliberately tampering with the usual regulation of your circadian rhythms.

I'd also like to say that delta sleep is crucial for regeneration while REM can be forfeited.

Quote from: Lexy on February 20, 2011, 04:06:30
Have you tried Aya?

No. But I will one day. The South Americans love it.:-P

Lexy

it's not illegal in Peru. It's as dangerous as any other mind-altering drug...

Summerlander

It all depends on how mentally stable the individual is. The drug will only provide the leeway for the experience of altered states.

Stookie

This is also available as a documentary now:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Spirit-Molecule-Documentary/dp/B004DME5NY

It was OK, but I was surprised to get a little bored. Seems about 10 years too late. Worth watching if your into this stuff.

Astral Anarchist

Quote from: Summerlander on February 21, 2011, 08:31:36
It all depends on how mentally stable the individual is. The drug will only provide the leeway for the experience of altered states.

I agree, and having a good set and setting helps a lot.  I find it's always best to do this in a place where you feel safe and comfortable—and also, clearing the thoughts of any negative emotions or they will be amplified during the trip!   :evil:

Anyways, here's my only experience with DMT:

It was around eleven o'clock at night, (Saturday, January 23, 2010) I was sitting on the weightlifting bench facing the arm rest.  I finally felt ready to try and hopefully break through for the first time on DMT.  I sat up straight holding the oiler pipe with my left hand and the lighter with the other.  I lit the pipe slightly attempting not to vaporize all the spice.  I took my first inhalation, breathing in deeply for about 15 seconds then exhaled.  I noticed that very little of the spice vaporized but I felt that strong feeling nevertheless.   I decided to keep the lighter lit for longer.  I took the second hit, which was huge by the way, and held it in for as long as I could.  The smoke felt heavy—I felt that I was having trouble breathing.  I instinctively exhaled noticing the thick cloud of smoke come out of my mouth.  I still felt that I was having trouble breathing—for a moment I thought that I would suffocate.  I unconsciously leaned on the arm rest and began inhaling and exhaling heavily.  I started breathing in different synchronized rhythms that sounded like that of the ancient Indian tribes.  The sound of my heavy breathing overpowered all of the other senses.  I seemly shifted out of awareness and into another.  

This was a bright place that resembled abstract art.  The most abundant background color was white with other bright colors complementing it.  This place looked incredibly sharp—some parts resembled 3-D graphics.  I came across this circular palate covered with multiple geometric designs.  I got the feeling that each set of geometric designs symbolized every single emotion that could be conceived by me.  After experiencing this, I felt a rush of every emotion, to my knowledge, pass through me.  I was so taken aback by the experience that I just sat there, paralyzed with amazement,  in a frozen state.  At first I thought that what I was looking at was negative-- a positive feeling canceled the emotion out.  I struggled to keep myself together and weather these emotions.  Eventually, I felt that what I was looking at in the palate was neither good nor bad.  What I was looking at was every emotion in existence.  As I felt every emotion rush through me I noticed certain parts of my body begin to vibrate—I would later realize that they were my chakras.  As I kept looking further at more of the incoming geometric images,  I had the familiar feeling of déjà vu.  I thought to myself, "Did I see this last time that I smoked DMT? Wait a minute!  I haven't smoked DMT before!".  I progressively came back to my current awareness.  It was all over.

Summerlander

"Neither good nor bad" - makes sense. They are just concepts from which you became detached in order to perceive all possible emotions from a pristine cognition point of view. This reminds me of certain parts of The Tibetan Book of the Dead. Also, the dejavu feelings can be experienced during OOBEs, particularly during visits to the metaphysical. Physically, I have no doubt that DMT lies at the centre of it all and provides the bridge for states of perception while the primary one remains the waking one (at least while we are still alive).

Nomesb69

Although some of these experiences sound cool and enlightening, doesnt doing dmt pose a rise of addiction and or bad actions while under the influence. By bad action I mean like thinking you can fly and jump off a balcony or thinking things are on your skin and clawing your self?

Astral Anarchist

Quote from: Summerlander on March 05, 2011, 19:14:04
"Neither good nor bad" - makes sense. They are just concepts from which you became detached in order to perceive all possible emotions from a pristine cognition point of view. This reminds me of certain parts of The Tibetan Book of the Dead. Also, the dejavu feelings can be experienced during OOBEs, particularly during visits to the metaphysical. Physically, I have no doubt that DMT lies at the centre of it all and provides the bridge for states of perception while the primary one remains the waking one (at least while we are still alive).

My thoughts exactly!  I would also like to add that before this experience, I wasn't convinced of the existence of chakras.  I always thought that, maybe, they where subjective constructs created by some wise-men in an effort to organize all the conceivable emotions into spheres of certain shapes and colors to be meditated upon.  I have to say that after feeling all these energy centers light-up with vibration with all of them being connected by what felt like an electricity cord coming through the floor, up my spine, and to the top of my head—well... let's just say it's great to turn a belief into a known (as Monroe used to say) .  :-D

Interestingly enough, regarding my experience with shrooms, as I was gazing at the clouds, I noticed that at their edges there where swirls (picture 1).  As I concentrated in them, they began to transform into geometric shapes.  As I passively observed, my vision began to immerse into the geometric design itself repeating the same shapes over and over again like a fractal (similar to picture 2).  This is why I wonder if the reality in which we live in is in fact a fractal reality in the sense that everything that exists is contained in every single particle.  So in other words, everything that exists does so outside of our perception as well as within ourselves (as above so below).  Oh well, it's just a theory.  :-)

(picture 1)

(picture 2)

QuoteAlthough some of these experiences sound cool and enlightening, doesnt doing dmt pose a rise of addiction and or bad actions while under the influence. By bad action I mean like thinking you can fly and jump off a balcony or thinking things are on your skin and clawing your self?

Nope, as a matter of fact, many heroin addicts as well as cocaine addicts have reported quitting their addictions as a result of the profound experiences that they witnessed while taking DMT.  To add to this, the reason why I've only taken DMT once has to do with the fact, at least in my case, that I didn't enjoy the intense emotions.  The experience was profound and I'm glad that I witnessed this, but it happened so fast and unexpected that it was like getting a surprise kick in the gonads.  Not fun!  But it also depends what you mean by addiction.  I find that our bodies are addiction machines in the sense that if you're used to eating fast-food, watching lots of T.V., or drinking soda, and you suddenly decide stop, you're going to feel withdrawal symptoms. Moderation is key.

Some people claim to experience "mechanical elves" jump in and out of their bodies and other such experiences, unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough to experience this phenomenon. It's best to approach the whole experience as a ride and just let it flow.  As for jumping out of balconies, that's not going happen with DMT.  Once you smoke it, you're body will instinctively go to sleep (or stop responding physically).  Regardless, it's always best to have a sitter with experience by your side.  On the other hand, when you ingest shrooms, you're emotions, positive and/or negative, will be substantially enhanced (at least from my experience).  So let's say, if a person is an idiot when sober, then this person will become a super idiot while shrooming.  The same is true the other way around; so just as long as you have a good head on your shoulders you'll be fine.  :-)

What I used to do back when I used to go binge drinking, in order to keep myself honest, was to view myself from a third-person perspective.  As I got progressively drunk, I would ask myself, "Is this something I would normally do? Is this ridiculous?"  It didn't matter how drunk I got, I would always be able to keep myself under control.  I don't drink anymore BTW.  :-D

It's always a good practice to research as much as you can before trying entheogenic drugs.  This website has some very good info:

http://www.erowid.org/splash.php

On a side note, this video does an outstanding job presenting the BS that happened pertaining to the illegalization of pot.  (I've never smoked pot believe it or not) All the other drugs progressively became illegal after that, so this is the ground zero in a way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYXJNDe1ReM

This awesome book The Emperor Wears No Clothes by Jack Herer, further illustrates the BS presented in the above video.  Anyone can read it for free here:

http://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

Summerlander

QuoteIt didn't matter how drunk I got

That's how I felt when people were giving me shots at a prom and I was tripping on magic mushrooms. The alcohol had no effect. But then again, you can consider shrooms to be orally active DMT. :-D

Btw, I like your fractal reality theory. I observed geometric shapes in the sky too. I heard that some people report kaleidoscopic vision as remnants of a DMT trip. It's funny because sometimes when I induce an OOBE, I get this vision too as soon as I separate. Kinda like a fragmented vision which I may then correct. I call it partial blindness. There seems to be a connection there... :wink:

Astral Anarchist

Ha ha ha It must have been one hell of an experience, that's for sure.  All of this entheogenic stuff tends to intertwine so well with obe's!  :-D

Summerlander

Absolutely!^^

I'm currently reading the book and have just gone past the "Unseen Worlds" section. The experiences described by Rick Strassman parallel mine! Particularly where the jokers/jesters/harlequin-like beings are concerned. Also the voices heard by people...

Btw, something I wanted to mention in relation to the pineal gland...calcite crystals were found inside which resemble the ones found in our ears. Their properties seem to indicate that they are piezoelectric. The sonar and the telephone rely on piezoelectricity to receive and transmit so it's feasible that the gland may tune into external electromagnetic fields. Perhaps it's really true...we really are tuning into other frequencies of reality when we experience OOBEs or...as Strassman would have it: the "DMT realms".

blis

On the subject of naturally producing DMT, I've read that extended periods of a total lack of light makes your brain churn out huge levels of DMT. I think it's got to be at least three or four days.

I read about a retreat called the darkness or the dark room or something where you go for a couple of weeks without any light. They explained what goes on with your brain chemistry but I forgot it all.