Do yoga and qi gong basically do the same thing?

Previous topic - Next topic

Beero

Hi, I would like to know if yoga and qi gong are broadly speaking different techniques to achieve the same results, or are they different in what they do?

Rudolph

I think yoga is far more practical and real in the real physical results it delivers.

However, I think that during one OBE where I was struggling for some energy, Qi Gong practice provided me a technique for a little oomph when I needed it.

I have an idea...

Pick one, do it every day for at least a few months.

Then go to the other and do it every day for a few months.

If you're like me you'll see that they are not even close to the same thing.

but that's just me.
Beware the fake "seeker" who finds Truth to be abusive.

Beero

I was kind of wondering because qi gong it seems to me is associated with martial arts, and yoga is more meditative, that's just how it appears to me, and I've seen yoga described as good for emotional problems, is  that the case that is better for balanced emotions and keeping calm?  When I used to practice tai chi I seem to remember the book said it puts you in 'fight or flight' mode, which I might want to avoid, I've already got a slight anger/temper problem that I want to try and control 
I already practice NEW regularly, I was considering adding in qi gong and alternating them, but now I'm not sure if I should just stick to practicing NEW at this time

CFTraveler

Quote from: 007 on February 14, 2012, 18:32:36
I was kind of wondering because qi gong it seems to me is associated with martial arts, and yoga is more meditative, that's just how it appears to me, and I've seen yoga described as good for emotional problems, is  that the case that is better for balanced emotions and keeping calm?  When I used to practice tai chi I seem to remember the book said it puts you in 'fight or flight' mode, which I might want to avoid, I've already got a slight anger/temper problem that I want to try and control 
I already practice NEW regularly, I was considering adding in qi gong and alternating them, but now I'm not sure if I should just stick to practicing NEW at this time
That's funny, I always associated QiGong as a sort of 'moving energy' and Yoga as 'moving your body' and associated neither with martial arts.  Tai Chi has branches that are martial (such as TaichiChuan) and there are various styles of QiGong (the 'soft' and the 'hard', as many other arts) that use different styles of energy moving.  I really don't think though that the 'feminine soft' is taught much in the western world, unfortunately.
If you want to release energy without getting into what seem like 'defensive' poses, I recommend Kundalini Yoga- which looks funny but is very effective.

Stookie_

I've done tai chi and qi gong. I found tai-chi to be much more difficult, but much more enjoyable, BUT... qi gong doesn't take near as much room, as most of the poses are fairly stationary. But really, there is nothing I've ever done that is comparable to either of them. I wish I could get back into tai chi but it's just not realistic right now.

QuoteI really don't think though that the 'feminine soft' is taught much in the western world, unfortunately.

In the tai chi course I took they called it "delicate lady hands". lol  The bottom half of your body is hard and rigid and the top half is soft and fluid.

CFTraveler

That's the kind I want to learn but all we got here is Taichichuan, and I already did the martial arts thing.  I want to flow :lol:

rain_88

I think both techniques are about controlling the life force/prana and helping it in its proper flow. Just different names for the same energy and different approaches to "manipulate" it.
Yoga doesn't have to be the more meditative one, there are different branches of yoga which are less or more physically demanding/meditative and they are focused to affect different areas of your life consciously or subconsciously.
I am sorry, I am so, for the things you don't know
And as for the things you do, I am sorry for those too

gdo

Well technically speaking they are not the same thing.

YOGA is a term that gets bandied about alot.  Its meaning is UNION, it does incorporate meditaion.  Yoga does involve different aspects of focus as in Hatha Yoga and Prana Yoga.

It is not a martial art.  It does, however, lead to mastery of the same energy that is utilized in martial arts.  LOL and the same energy used in marital arts too.

rezaf

I don't know much about yoga but from what I have read on the internet I think the description of kundalini yoga is a little bit similar to qigong exercises designed for opening up and moving the qi in ren and du meridians(xiaozhoutian) and eventually in all the meridians (dazhoutian).

I am not sure how easy it is to find authentic martial arts masters outside of China as even in China there are very few of them but in internal martial arts like taijiquan, xinyiliuhe, baguazhang, ... they usually teach techniques to their indoor students for opening the meridians and using the dantian energy however it usually takes many years of training to achieve these results.