The Astral Pulse
News: http://www.astralpulse.com/aup.html. Acceptable Use Policy for the forums. Please read and ensure that you respect these policies. Thank you.

If you wish the join The Astral Pulse, please create an account and then email myself or one of the moderators your username and email address (do not send us your password please) and we will activate your account for you. 
If it's been over 24 hours and you still haven't been approved, please send another email, we are just people too and sometimes we get busy.
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_astral_chat/member_registration_requiring_approval-t42962.0.html

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but it's the last resort we have to fighting the spam for now.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2021, 20:52:11

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meditation and the Brain  (Read 2335 times)
coolbreeze
Astral Energy 2

flowersoldier18
View Profile Email
« on: February 28, 2005, 03:06:14 »

From National Geographic, March 2005 issue:

"To focus the mind and increase awareness of self, Shingon Buddhists like Souei Sakamoto practice takigyo, chanting for hours while standing in frigid waterfalls at the Oiwasan Nissekiji Temple in Toyama, Japan.

For 2,500 years Buddhists have employed such strict training techniques to guide their mental state away from destructive emotions and toward a more compassionate, happier frame of being. Spurred by the cascade of new evidence for the brain's plasticity, Western neuroscientists have taken a keen interest. Can meditation literally change the mind?

For the past several years Richard Davidson and his colleagues at the University of Wisconsin-Madison have been studying brain activity in Tibetan monks, both in meditative and non-meditative states. Davidson's group had shown earlier that people who are inclined to fall prey to negative emotions displayed a pattern of persistent activity in regions of their right prefrontalcortex. In those with more positive temperaments the activity occurred in the left prefrontal cortex instead. When Davidson ran the experiment on a senior Tibetan lama skilled in meditation, the lama's baseline of activity proved to be much farther to the left of anyone previously tested. Judging from this one study, at least, he was quantifiably the happiest man in the world.

Davidson recently tested the prefrontal activity in some volunteers from a high-tech company in Wisconsin. One group of volunteers then received eight weeks of training in meditation, while a control group did not. All the participants also received flu shots.

By the end of the study, those who had meditated showed a pronounced shift in brain activity toward the left, "happier", frontal cortex. The mediators also  showed a healthier immune response to the flu shot, suggesting that the training affected the body's health as well as the mind's.

"You don't have to become a Buddhist" says the Dalai Lama himself, who is closely following the work of Western cognitive scientists like Davidson. "Everybody has the potential to lead a peaceful, meaningful life."

This makes so much sense!!!! I guess I knew i felt better ever since i started serious meditation, but this is a good scientific explanation for those who need it.
Ivanda
Astral Energy 3

jane_latvia@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 03:42:57 »

Nice! I hope more people meditate or pray. It definitely saved me from depression.  Smiley

"And now these three remain: Faith, Hope and Love. But the greatest of these is Love."
(Corinthians, 1:13)
The Astral Pulse
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 03:42:57 »

logoVisit the website of Astral Pulse creator Adrian Cooper.

Home of the best selling book Our Ultimate Reality.

Astral Projection, Metaphysics and many other subjects.

CaCoDeMoN
Astral Energy 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 17:12:12 »

Thanks for posting! It's really nice to see that such kind of research is conducted.

MEAT=MURDER.
snic
Astral Energy 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 13:41:11 »

G,day I too have read that story to day but from a different source. I read it in the NEW DAWN magazine, which got it from THE WASHINGTON POST (Feb 1st 2005). But I,ll look out for the National Geographic.
Kazbadan
Astral Energy 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 21:50:16 »

scientists are discovering the powder...in my opinion the most important things that scientists will ever discover about our happyness and human condition were found at 2500 ago by Budha: the nature of the self, the reeincarnation, etc,etc

I love you!
The Astral Pulse
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 21:50:16 »

Ivanda
Astral Energy 3

jane_latvia@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 02:49:58 »

Kazbadan,

I totally agree with you!  Happiness is an internal thing and those wise guys ages ago already knew things that science is only discovering now.

"And now these three remain: Faith, Hope and Love. But the greatest of these is Love."
(Corinthians, 1:13)
RTCovenant
Astral Energy 3

TheRTCovenant
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 04:57:20 »

Thanks, this information is a great reason to keep meditating.

"There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not."
The Astral Pulse

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: